Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: One Month with IS Clinical Firming Complex
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Available from EDS for £51.71 (50 ML) so not a cheap buy. After one month I am 1/3 through the jar, using once a day on neck/decolletage area only in the evening, every day.

My objective in purchasing this was to address a slight softening of my jawline noticed since I turned 30 and for overall firming of neck/decolletage area. My jawline is not a jowl yet but definite sag is starting. Neck and decolletage is more preventative as skin there is fine for the moment. (However this sagging creeps up insidiously , one day it seemed I had a v. strong jawline; the next I could see the beginning of turkey gibblets)

What it says on the box:

" ...a mildly active formulation, contains centella Asiatica known for its extraordinary healing and antioxidant properties...produces a visible difference in skin firmness within minutes, diminishes appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, encourages cellular regeneration...fights free radical damage"

Centella Asiatica is also known as Gotu Kola. More info here http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Centella+asiatica

Overall comment: A great brand I happen to love. Nothing particularly negative to say about this product but nothing positive either. No visible difference unless I start trying really hard to hallucinate something. It CAN be used over the face as well but I knew it would be too thick for me on the face and I did not want to chance breakouts. After I finish the jar I will be experimenting with other brands, specifically Decleor Vitaroma Lift Neck and Decolletage. I give this ISC product a neutral 5/10.

Read more below if you are interested:

This is a cream, not a serum. It comes in a sleek silver jar (an updated one from the website pix)and is unscented. There is a little spatula included so you do not contaminate the product with fingers.

The directions are to use "sparingly" and it does spread well. The cream is not the most aesthetic and can feel slightly sticky for a few minutes. There was no immediate tightening effect I could feel but then again I am not using it on the face. I experienced no peeling and the product seemed quite gentle on the skin.

Like most ISC products, there is no sunscreen built in so you should add something on top if used in the day. I use Decleor Aroma Sun Protective Antiwrinkle cream 30 SPF (separate review to be added if you are interested).

The caveats to this review are:

- One month is hardly one year so maybe there is long term benefit in using this product. At the price though, I am prepared to flirt with other things.

- It is possible that this product is more effective when teamed up with other exfols/CPS/VitCs for targeted action but I am sticking to a simple routine for now. I did try it with a Proheal sample I got in the box. I did this for a week -ISC active serum, proheal serum then firming complex - and there was more of a tightening feel but nothing to write home about. The layering did seem a little sticky and I did not like the combo.

- Perhaps on the face it is more effective if your skin is not blemish prone. I did experience a line of small red blemishes just under the left and right side of the jawline; not too visible as I wear suits almost everyday but still I had to treat them with clay/neem mask till they went away. I therefore hesitate to recommend for the face.

Ingredients:

Sodium Hyaluronate (that's Hyaluronic Acid), Mixed Natural Fruit Acids, Vit A Pamitate, Vit B5, Salicin Glycoside, Centella Asiatica Purified Extract(the advertised star active),Chamomile oil,Green tea extract,Licorice extract.

Parting shot: If you are keen to try, it is worth waiting for a sample from EDS.

...fighting aging disgracefully..HTH

5% products discount

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I have also been using the firming complex for about a month but only on my face. I find this cream has an immediate firming and tightening effect and I am extremely happy with it. I would prefer to use it at night as I was advised that this would give the product more chance to work and it would be more effective but I use retinol at night and was told by IS Clinical not to use both products at the same time. Does anyone use their retinol products in the am? Does it matter when you use retinol. My bottle says apply nightly but would appreciate hearing how others use it. Retinol is as new product for me which I started using after reading reviews in this forum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
passionfruit wrote:
I have also been using the firming complex for about a month but only on my face. I find this cream has an immediate firming and tightening effect and I am extremely happy with it. I would prefer to use it at night as I was advised that this would give the product more chance to work and it would be more effective but I use retinol at night and was told by IS Clinical not to use both products at the same time. Does anyone use their retinol products in the am? Does it matter when you use retinol. My bottle says apply nightly but would appreciate hearing how others use it. Retinol is as new product for me which I started using after reading reviews in this forum.

i alternate my retinol product every other night with Active Serum/Firming Serum. retinol should not be used during the day.

BTW, Blacklace, i do use the Firming Complex over the Active and it doesn't break me out (but i realise everyone is different), i much prefer the combo of the two than either one alone.... great review though!
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
I agree the firming over the active is the way to go rather than one or the other!!! But my skins also VERY normal.
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:

Overall comment: A great brand I happen to love. Nothing particularly negative to say about this product but nothing positive either. No visible difference unless I start trying really hard to hallucinate something.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the great review (and the chuckle), Blacklace!

I'm also trying the Firming over the Active and very much like it. I notice that, the next morning, my skin is hydradrated and healthy looking. I do this every other night, alternating nights with Vit A.

Marla

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Firming Complex over my Active Serum anddddd over areas I spot treat with Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0, which is pretty strong stuff. I couldn't be happier with the results. I was on cloud 9 when I first started my IS Clinical regimen BUT, when I took up Marina's suggestion of using the Firming Complex over the Active Serum, it was more like cloud 99!!!

Passionfruit, to answer your question, I REALLY would not use retinol in the am. I have resilient skin and use retinol, active serum, and firming complex all at the same time (at nite...). If you aren't ready to do that, I think you'd be better off using the firming complex in the am! It's a heck of alot milder than retinol.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
i feel for passionfruit juice everytime i your username passionf! i can even smell the flowers. reminds me of home. yum.

i am a complete ignorant on retinols but i am sure you will get some suggestions.

this is an excellent brand and there are many people who love this product but for me it gave me zits the first time i tried it on the face. i think i need something more targeted for neck/decolletage.

when i think i am seeing my jawline sagging, i have found the best immediate beauty lift is when i take off my contact lenses and everything in the mirror is sort of soft focussed blurry.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Blacklace wrote:
when i think i am seeing my jawline sagging, i have found the best immediate beauty lift is when i take off my contact lenses and everything in the mirror is sort of soft focussed blurry.

amen! Laughing does wonders. doesn't it???

p.s. check out some threads on the "facial flex"
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Blacklace.....

Add a nice glass of red wine and your looks will improve even more Cool Cool Cool
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
More like vodka shots for me katee but you are right; it is really not such a big deal.

I will check out the facial flex as la vie suggested and try Decleor next. I am waiting on my ISC Super Serum from EDS as some people reported good results with that as well.

In 15 years I go for the Botox.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
What particular ingredient is in there that firms the skin?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Blacklace - I've been using FC occasionally as a milder AHA and like it. It keeps acne in check for me without causing a lot of dryness or flaking. It makes my pores look smaller too. Since I also use a mild retinaldehyde, I don't want to use too strong an AHA for fear of getting dry or crinkly, so the FC suits this purpose. But it doesn't really "firm" my skin. I'm concerned about a softening jawline as well and recently started using DMAE 4% amine. It's worked on my eylids but so far, not on my jaw. But it's softened the look of two horizontal creases across the front of my neck.

I have some Decleor Vitaroma Lift Totale for Face in a 50 ml jar and it's a very rich cream. I got it just when winter turned to spring and it was too heavy for me then. But I'm going to break it out again here soon now that it's colder and dryer. I've used it a few times when my skin's been parched and it helps a lot. I'll be interested to see if more consistent use will firm up anything!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:58 am      Reply with quote
interesting review, thankyou.

Just thought I'd chime in about a decleor lift product - the mask, which is firming and toning ( "sculpting" I think is how thay phrase it?) is 10 out of 10 for me.
I always use it when I'm going out and I look a little tired. It is very rejuvenating - gets rid of the sag, for a couple of days at least, after using. And I find it works a bit like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm - I put make up on top of it, after letting it sink in for 10 mins or so - and everything goes on better and looks more luminous.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi catski - Exactly which Decleor product are you referring to (they have so many!)??? Reading through the list on EDS, there's a Radiant Lifting Fluid to be used under makeup and it sounds a bit like the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm. I used that product years ago but it felt a bit heavy on my face.

BTW, I think the Vitaroma product I have is the old formula that's been replaced with a new one -- but I don't really know exactly what the difference between the two is. It sounds like the new one may be a bit lighter in texture since it's called a gel cream.
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Weird. I thought I submitted a reply but don't see it.

Skincare, I do not know the ans to your question to be honest but there is alot of HA and the advertised star ingredient gotu kola.

Thanks to others for the suggestions with Decleor etc. Sorry what is FC mapril?

I think the product I was planning to try was specifically for neck/decolletage but you are right there are so many decleor products. I am waiting on my ISC Superserum first as some people reported good overall results with this. (my EDS package taking more than a month to london thanks to UK customs! a curse on their houses.)

I am the only one going on about my jawline but I want to do something to prevent future sagging...maybe collagen builders, exercises etc. It is quite square so any jowl will be awful. Perhaps cutting down on overall piggery of late (chocolate eclairs) as I am traveling and eat nonsense.

A quick comment on Vitaroma. I tried some of the "new Vitaroma" under Experience de l'age - specifically eye-cream and the firming mask. The eyecream stung (some peeling thing in there) and the mask was nice but nothing worth the price. I took them back to the shop. It seems that "old" Vitaroma is better and I would not spend any money on E de l'age again but maybe other people liked it.

5% products discount

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
lots of great and informative replies to this topic and I learn more every time I enter this forum. For Melissa Marie and Katee, you are both using Active Serum and Im wondering if I should order it. I have been using cellex c and hydra 5 but am almost out and been thinking of trying a new c serum. If I ordered the Super Serum and the Active would they be sufficient replacements for the cellex c.I am just learning so much here, never heard of retinol and DMAE and I am now using the retinol and have ordered DMAE sample from skincarecentral. Just noticed today that JB has a new kit for anti aging and thought I might order. Oh wow, rambling again, question was, lol, should I order the IS super and active serums or should I try the new JB kit? thanks for taking the time read and hopefully reply.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi passionfruit,

do check Katee's review of ISClinical which includes Active Serum and Hydracool. There are some discussions in there on SuperSerum and Proheal.

I have tried ISC in the past but I was not exfoliating enough first to allow good absorption so I ordered again on the basis of ISC reviews here. I love the Active Serum and use once every other day. This will stay as part of my routine. I no longer use the Hydracool on top as much as my skin has got used to the Active Serum and I found it a little sticky in texture. Personally prefer the CellexC Hydra as it literally disappears into the skin or I use other moisturizers as at times the HA makes my skin break out.

I was using emu oil on top of active serum alternately but started seeing some more downy hair and cut back on it (it wasn't the goldy longer hair that bothered me but the darn tail feathers...sorry that was a poor attempt at humor)

I would say go for the Active S as a start. Don't be too tempted to try all the stuff on EDS at once! You will not have money for food and starvation is not very flattering on the skin! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi catski - Exactly which Decleor product are you referring to (they have so many!)??? Reading through the list on EDS, there's a Radiant Lifting Fluid to be used under makeup and it sounds a bit like the Clarins Beauty Flash Balm. I used that product years ago but it felt a bit heavy on my face.

BTW, I think the Vitaroma product I have is the old formula that's been replaced with a new one -- but I don't really know exactly what the difference between the two is. It sounds like the new one may be a bit lighter in texture since it's called a gel cream.

OK, I have the yellow tube here and IT SAYS:

Vitaroma Lift Total. Re - sculpting Mask Firmness and Wrinkle face and Neck.

I wonder if they have changed the name of it lately, because this one isnt a recent purchase.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for the confusion Blacklace -- by saying FC, I meant IS Clinical Firming Complex.

So maybe I'm lucky that I have the older Vitaroma product! I also have a small Vitaroma tube that's a gel/cream for neck and decolletage but haven't used it yet (it came with the Decleor Vitaroma sampler I got from EDS last spring). And catski -- I must've missed that product on the EDS Decleor list, unless it's changed like you said. The array of Decleor is dizzying.

Blacklace, I don't have major jawline issues yet either, but like you I want to prevent sagging. You've got more time than I do to work on it -- I'm 54. I've been eating too many sweets lately too (sitting in a nursing home room for 6 mos. popping bonbons every afternoon) and I've gained a few pounds (I'm now 120 lbs, 5'5" tall). I love chocolate eclairs too! Those extra pounds show up on my jawline though. I've got to get this under control before I begin looking like a squirrel. I've noticed when I'm slimmer, like around 112 lbs., the jawline looks fine. Weight loss may be the best prevention because I have doubts that any topical can sufficiently/dramatically lift an area of the face like the jawline if it's very far gone. DMAE may help a little though.

And hello passionfruit - If your skin is dry, I'd think the JB products may be worth a try. I tried ADC+E and liked the elegant texture of it -- it was nicely moisturizing without making my skin look oily. The Mineral Prep has a tightening effect. I also tried DermaExcel7 and it numbed the area of my 11s but didn't get rid of them (and they're not even that bad). Maybe with prolonged use it would do the trick. I switched from JB C+C to a Vit.C serum that contains l-ascorbic acid (at first ISC Super Serum, then SkinCeuticals CE+Ferulic) because I read here and elsewhere that l-ascorbic is a more effective form of C. Since the IS Clinical products being discussed here are generally acids, they'd probably be better if your skin's oilier, acneic, a bit rough, large-pored and/or blotchy. Active Serum sounds too strong for me, and that's why I opted for the Firming Complex.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Passionfruit -

It's hard to answer your question without knowing your skin type and the issues you want to address.

If you've looked at any of the ISC threads, you'll see that I've become a virtual ISC fanatic because of the improvements in my skin since I switched to their products. For me, the two most important products in the line are the Active Serum at night and Super Serum in the am. I also use the Firming Complex and HydraCool as mainstays. Although I found the eye complex to be nice enough, but nothing to write home about. Same with the sunscreen.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
m.april said:

"I've been eating too many sweets lately too (sitting in a nursing home room for 6 mos. popping bonbons every afternoon) and I've gained a few pounds (I'm now 120 lbs, 5'5" tall). "

Geez...I'm 5'5 tall and weigh 123lbs and I'm considered very small.. size 2-4 size pants, small tops. If I were to go down to 112, I'd be sick.. What a variance even with the same height & weight. Confused

Can someone tell me how to do partial quotes. I really didn't do this one right.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I like IS clinical active serum a lot, but their C is too sticky and orange,I prefer skin medica Vitamin C I use that instead of foundation,its the best. I also like their hydracool. I get the IS clinical active serum on ebay-10 trial bottles for 35 its equal to the large bottle that sells for over 140.Ebay is the only way I can afford skin medicas products too, you can usually buy them half off.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yes marina, I agree -- we're still relatively small! But I'm small and flabby right now due to this disruption in my life. And a major concern is I can't afford to outgrow some of my clothes! It's no big deal to buy a new pair of Gap jeans or J Crew chinos, but I have other items in my wardrobe that I'd hate not being able to wear. I've GOTTA lay off the sweets, and get back to a regular work-out schedule.

Honestly though -- when my weight is below 115 lbs., my jawline looks fine. No little pads of fat to obsess about.

Why can't we store fat where we want to??? I could use some extra padding in a couple of other places Wink
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I was surprised to see tht I got a sample of this cream/gel. I used it only twice the past two days. I love it but I notice that it is only temporarly. What is it in that ingredient that is firming?
passionfruit
5% products discount

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy finally got my IS Clinical serums and have to say my skin is looking so much better, just after 3 days. I have always had very good skin but am developing those pesky lines around my mouth and I am amazed at how much finer they are now. Havent got the courage yet to try active with retinol but will give it a try soon. I had been using cellcosmet eye contour cream and had two small red bumps under my eye, which i have never had before, knock wood. Have used the active serum for 2 nights and they are gone. katee has another convert. no if only i could get something for firming my under eye area would be completely satisfied with my face.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |