Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Rave: Dr. Holland's Lush Lips in Dolce Vita
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Carekate sent me a sample and I'm in heaven. Been testing for 4 days now.

1. Texture: My lips are usually dry and I hate thick, goopy lip gloss. This stuff leaves my lips really soft and it's not goopy nor waxy.

2. Color: I have weird pH lips. Most 'reds' turn dark fuschia/pink on me. (ex. Vincent Longo's Liquid Kiss). And all those YLBB from Laura Mercier make me look like a cadaver.

So, I was a little hesitant on Dolce Vita because it looks dark in the container. Well, it's extremely sheer and the color is amazing. I can honestly say it looks like YLBB. Not super/sticky shiny but not waxy looking either.

So far I've worn it alone and layered over VL Cupid's Breath. It's so beautifully sheer to look natural with just enough shine to make your lips look more full.

3. Smell: I'm in heaven. this stuff smells like chocolates and orange to me. Hubby wasn't keen on kissing me with "lipstick" but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't smell or taste like other products.

So ... yet another product from Carekate I'll need to stock up on. Can't wait for her to create her 3 tier lip pack.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
Carekate sent me a sample and I'm in heaven. Been testing for 4 days now.

1. Texture: My lips are usually dry and I hate thick, goopy lip gloss. This stuff leaves my lips really soft and it's not goopy nor waxy.

2. Color: I have weird pH lips. Most 'reds' turn dark fuschia/pink on me. (ex. Vincent Longo's Liquid Kiss). And all those YLBB from Laura Mercier make me look like a cadaver.

So, I was a little hesitant on Dolce Vita because it looks dark in the container. Well, it's extremely sheer and the color is amazing. I can honestly say it looks like YLBB. Not super/sticky shiny but not waxy looking either.

So far I've worn it alone and layered over VL Cupid's Breath. It's so beautifully sheer to look natural with just enough shine to make your lips look more full.

3. Smell: I'm in heaven. this stuff smells like chocolates and orange to me. Hubby wasn't keen on kissing me with "lipstick" but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't smell or taste like other products.

So ... yet another product from Carekate I'll need to stock up on. Can't wait for her to create her 3 tier lip pack.

I'm definitely going to have to try this color! And I second what you said about the smell...it is heavenly! My husband had the exact same reaction as yours with regards to this balm (one of the many reasons it became my HG lip product!). Kissing me is generally not an option when I've got sticky gloss or heavy lipstick on...but he has zero complaints about this balm!

Mary Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:00 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading all these posts about Carekate's "stuff"...I think I want to marry her. Don't laugh, it's legal in my state. Laughing

Seriously, Kate, where do you get the time, the energy, and the imagination to come up with this stuff? And how can I get some?

BBD
lulumylovely
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I am confused about these products people are talking about. Where are they available from?
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
You need to send a PM to carekate. She has limited internet access and is getting a ton of emails so be patient with responses.

There is a list of products (carekate or Dr. Holland's) on the DIY recipe thread. Carekate can make any of those - plus any of the other stuff you see mentioned.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
I PMed CareKate to try out her Lush Lips after all the raves here. So here is my review of it.

I tried this out over 4 days, testing it by itself and under lipglosses.

1. Texture: This went on very smooth and light. It feels like there is barely anything on your lips. This is perfect for those who do not like wearing lipsticks and lip glosses/balms normally.

2. Colour: It is as others said, a deeper red/brown, although predominantely red than brown. I actually think it is quite pigmented, since a slight layer is sufficient to impart quite a dose of colour. My own lip colour still influences the way it appears, but it definitely is more than a tint.

3. Ohh the way it shines!: In this case, less of the plastic shine and more of a sheen. It really is the whole 'just ate something juicy so lips look good' look. I think the scary Prada SA at Myers Central would approve, since she hates "fake plastic looking" glosses. Laughing

4. Smell: Ahhhhh this got me from the first, it is an absolutely gorgeous scent. It is more vanillary than oranges, but the orange scent helps to cut down the usual cloying nature of vanilla (IMO). Just gorgeous.

5. Moisturising: Perhaps the only down side is that it isn't moisturising enough for me. I wore it overnight as a lip balm and when I woke up next morning, I didn't get the moisturised look I obtained from using CareKate's Overnight Lip Balm.

HTH!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Woo hoo, I ordered carekate's Lush Lips trio, which is a pot that's divided into 3 sections, each filled with the color of your choice. I went for one overnight treatment, one coral kiss, and one honey rose. What can I say, I'm totally addicted to the scent/texture and have been toting this little pot around with me everywhere. The two colors are very nice, however, they are just a tad bit too rosy/red/pink for my taste, so carekate, please add more peaches/neutrals/browns/bronzes/taupes----- I will buy them by the case!!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
cuppre -- i think her coloured lip balms aren't meant to be used as an overnight treatment (that's why she has one specifically for that). how did you not get this all over your pillow and sheets BTW?

manslayerliz -- oooh! she's got a rosey one??? i want! gimme gimme Bad Grin but i wouldn't mind a browny sort like MAC Retro (an HG if it wasn't so damned drying) as well.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
cuppre -- i think her coloured lip balms aren't meant to be used as an overnight treatment (that's why she has one specifically for that). how did you not get this all over your pillow and sheets BTW?

manslayerliz -- oooh! she's got a rosey one??? i want! gimme gimme Bad Grin but i wouldn't mind a browny sort like MAC Retro (an HG if it wasn't so damned drying) as well.

Oh I know it is not meant to be used as an overnight treatment, but I thought I should be fare to it and see if it was moisturising enough - by my standard. See, I had put this on and my lips felt drier than normal. But since I am used to using lip glosses I thought it just might be the texture rather than the moisturising ability.

As to how I didn't get it onto the pillow case...that's a good question. I have some spectacular stains from testing all my glosses as overnight treatments Laughing
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Wonderful review Rjez.

sounds luscious and lovely. I want some!
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
review of LushLips Dolce Vita:

1. Texture: like a whipped balm. Creamy and smooth but not sloppy or runny. Feels wonderful on the lips and has suprising staying power.

2.Coulour:Dolce Vita is a wonderful,brownish red,pink colour. In fact, it is about a 1/2 shade darker than my natural lip colour so this looks exactly like i've just been well kissed. (i wish Laughing ) I could and will wear this in place of any lipstick and will rotate with HoneyCherry and ApricotGlow which i got in my trio with the night treatment. All three colours are so perfect and give me the exact hint of colour that i'm looking for that i hope Carekate can keep up with the demand. I ordered two trios because i knew they would be my new HG.

3. The Scent:Faint chocolate-orange scent that keeps tempting me to lick it off to see if it tastes as good as it smells.

4. Finish:I appreciate that this gives a lovely satiny sheen instead of the super glossy look. I'm not 13 anymore and i just look better with a more natural look on my lips.

The Lushlips is fantastic in any colour so you won't be sorry to give them a try....definitely one of my best beauty buys ever.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
You better watch out – all this high praise is going to give me a swollen head! Wink Very Happy Seriously, I’m grateful that y’all like the Lush Lips formula/s as much as I do. First and foremost, I created these for myself because I couldn’t quite find the holiest of Holy Grail tinted lip balms with all of the qualities I wanted in a single product and I thought I had stumbled upon something special – but it’s always gratifying to receive validation...especially from educated and savvy consumers like everyone on the forum.

For those who would like me to create specific shades of Lush Lips, I humbly ask that you send me a color “swatch” of the lipstick shade you would like me to replicate into a tinted balm format. While I probably could track down a store in Austin that sells a particular cosmetic brand so I could go in and take a look at their lipstick samples in person, the likelihood of me having the actual TIME to do so is nil – you guys are keeping me HOPPING trying to keep up with all the order requests!! That’s not a complaint, mind you – just a statement of fact. I barely even have time to get to the grocery store these days to buy “necessities” (i.e.: Friskies and cat litter) so there’s no way I’ll be browsing at the malls for the foreseeable future!!

To make a color swatch, just swipe your lipstick over a clean white papertowel or sheet of paper and send it to me (PM me for my address). That’s how I ended up nailing the Nars “Dolce Vita” lipstick shade, made a “color swatch” on a white papertowel and then just kept blending colors and testing it until I got it right!

At the moment, I’m looking for a reddish brown shade (Clinque’s “Black Honey” has been suggested), as well as a shades in the brown/nude family and some sort of “girly pink flush.” If you have HG lipstick shades that fall into this category that you would like to see made into a tinted lip balm formula, send me swatches to work from.

TIA!
Your faithful mad scientist

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

For those who would like me to create specific shades of Lush Lips, I humbly ask that you send me a color “swatch” of the lipstick shade you would like me to replicate into a tinted balm format.

oh boy ... that was the wrong thing to tell me! Hmmmm ... time to go l/s drawer diving.

carekate wrote:
While I probably could track down a store in Austin that sells a particular cosmetic brand so I could go in and take a look at their lipstick samples in person, the likelihood of me having the actual TIME to do so is nil - I barely even have time to get to the grocery store these days to buy “necessities” (i.e.: Friskies and cat litter)

hahaha ... should I pay my niece to come over and do errands for you so you can live in your lab and whip up more products?

Carekate, can you repost the available colors? I need to decide what I want in the trio.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
Carekate, can you repost the available colors?
I can't -- forum rules, but the colors are listed in this thread by another member: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17696&highlight=coral+kiss

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks mucho. I remember seeing Mary's post but couldn't remember which thread.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Alright, you guys are fortunate that I am such a “valued” Sephora customer (by virtue of the fact that I drop a couple hundred bucks in there every other month...NO! It’s not all for me, most of the purchases are CP requests for overseas members), otherwise I’d likely have gotten my shopping privileges suspended!

I had about 15 minutes to spare in my schedule Friday afternoon before I had to get to my haircut/color appointment at the mall, so I stopped into my local Sephora store to get color swatches of some of the lipstick shades y’all have requested that I make into Lush Lips versions.

They must’ve hired a bunch of new seasonal workers for the holidays because most of the SA were unfamiliar and they definitely didn’t recognize ME, otherwise they’d have known to stay back and get the hell out of my way and let me do my thing.

Instead, I kept tripping over these annoying creatures as I literally raced back and forth across the store from brand display to display, madly swiping lipstick across the special spreadsheet I created and printed out to index all of the shades specifically for this purpose.

I finished my mission with about 45 seconds to spare before I dashed out of the store leaving several overly made-up Stepford-SAs blinking dazedly in my wake....

Anyway, hopefully I’ll be able to get back in my “lab” and start creating Lush Lips versions of some of the color swatches I collected, but please understand that I’m not always going to be able to find time to swoop in on Sephora for another swatch-run so my previous request still stands: if you’ve got a certain fave lipstick shade you’d like to see added to the Lush Lips color line-up, I’ll need you to mail me a color swatch to go from!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |