Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



DIY Shave Minimizing Body Oil (carekate's recipe)

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 1191
Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
I was a long time user of the Jergen's shave minimizing lotion, until they broke my heart and discontinued it. I tried the Aveeno shave minimizing stuff, but it was too expensive ($8 for only a few ounces) and it left my legs sticky-feeling. I was perusing the DIY thread and came across Carekate's recipe for shave minimizing oil. It seemed pretty simple to mix up (I'm not a big DIYer) so I bought some supplies and began mixing.

I kept it simple, and halved the recipe, mixing 4 oz of sweet almond oil with approximately 17 drops of clary sage EO (the oil that is supposed to inhibit hair growth. I scented it with a couple drops of lemon EO.

The resulting oil smelled like some sort of tea, and I was afraid it would linger. Luckily, it fades and next time I might just leave it unscented or try to find some vanilla fragrance oil to put in it.

Ok, so the point I'm trying to get to here is that it's working! I'm nearly through my first 4 oz batch and the hair on my legs grows in very thinly and sparsely. I was really skeptical, but I'm seeing results. Next time I mix it up, however, I'm going to mix the sweet almond oil with either avocado or EVOO because the almond alone isn't quite penetrating enough and my legs get sort of dry and itchy once the oil completely dries.

Skeptic turned believer= me. Very Happy
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 2191
Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
This is a nice simple recipe I can definitely make. Smile

Thanks for posting about it seperately. Whenever I go into that DIY thread I take lots of notes and then get lost, so this is a good focal point for a great recipe.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 1191
Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi catski!

I agree, the DIY thread can get overwhelming. There's so many neat recipes I'd like to try. Since my leg oil was a success, I'm thinking of trying the aspirin mask everyone always talks about.

Also, I wanted to mentionthat if you wanted to make a big batch of the oil, you'd use 8 oz of a carrier oil or a mix of carrier oils, and 30-some drops of the clary sage. I halved it because I wasn't sure I'd like using it, or if it'd even work, and I didn't want to be stuck with a big bottle of oil...
samkaj
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 98
Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting.....I wonder if it would inhibit hair growth after other types of hair removal, such as waxing.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1622
Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:51 am      Reply with quote
samkaj wrote:
This sounds really interesting.....I wonder if it would inhibit hair growth after other types of hair removal, such as waxing.

it works on all methods of removal.
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 332
Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if mixing clary sage EO in camellia oil would work? (It's for the upper lip area) Or would it be irritating for the face?

_________________
To Love and to be Loved... what greator Joy can there be?
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1777
Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
samkaj wrote:
This sounds really interesting.....I wonder if it would inhibit hair growth after other types of hair removal, such as waxing.

it works on all methods of removal.


arches brows, ALL!!! One can rub a bit in say bikini line and get same results?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 1191
Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
la vie en rose wrote:
samkaj wrote:
This sounds really interesting.....I wonder if it would inhibit hair growth after other types of hair removal, such as waxing.

it works on all methods of removal.


arches brows, ALL!!! One can rub a bit in say bikini line and get same results?


I've been using it on my bikini line along with my legs. I haven't seen results in that area as I have my legs, as its, erhm, you know, a different kind of hair. I have hopes that the oil will do its wonders in this area as well, it just may take longer.

As for putting clary sage on your face-- I dunno. I suppose if it were me, I'd try it for a couple days and see what happens, but you might want to ask Carekate or someone more knowledgable about EOs whther or not it'd be irritating.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 1571
Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Thought about purchasing inhibitors for the bikini area, but might take this route instead and safe a few extra bucks.

I should use this on the legs too, gosh I hate shaving my legs once a week Laughing

_________________
26, combination skin with oily t-zone
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1777
Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Well I am bumbed, I wanted to hear, ya it works EVERYWHERE Laughing !!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1622
Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
Well I am bumbed, I wanted to hear, ya it works EVERYWHERE Laughing !!

it does work, eventually, kind of, THERE....
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1777
Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:36 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
MelissaMarie wrote:
Well I am bumbed, I wanted to hear, ya it works EVERYWHERE Laughing !!

it does work, eventually, kind of, THERE....


well ok hide ur eyes if ur squimish, define kinda... Laughing !! Iam not talking a brazilian here...
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1622
Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
it *does* work, but really slowly.... as violetanne stated, the hair is different, much coarser, much tougher than, say, your leg hairs. if you wax, you're better off. if you shave frequently, well, it works slowly enough that you may just give up.... worth a try as everybody is different, but definitely does not work nearly as good as on your legs.

BTW, am i the only one who cusses the fact that i ever started shaving there??? it really wasn't that bad and the hairs were very light. now, however, i feel like robin williams Shock
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1777
Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
LMAO.....too funny....well ok I'll leave my stray 4 alone, God forbid they turn into 80...OMG runs screaming neeked down the street!!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I was a long time user of the Jergen's shave minimizing lotion, until they broke my heart and discontinued it. I tried the Aveeno shave minimizing stuff, but it was too expensive ($8 for only a few ounces) and it left my legs sticky-feeling. I was perusing the DIY thread and came across Carekate's recipe for shave minimizing oil. It seemed pretty simple to mix up (I'm not a big DIYer) so I bought some supplies and began mixing.

I kept it simple, and halved the recipe, mixing 4 oz of sweet almond oil with approximately 17 drops of clary sage EO (the oil that is supposed to inhibit hair growth. I scented it with a couple drops of lemon EO.

The resulting oil smelled like some sort of tea, and I was afraid it would linger. Luckily, it fades and next time I might just leave it unscented or try to find some vanilla fragrance oil to put in it.

Ok, so the point I'm trying to get to here is that it's working! I'm nearly through my first 4 oz batch and the hair on my legs grows in very thinly and sparsely. I was really skeptical, but I'm seeing results. Next time I mix it up, however, I'm going to mix the sweet almond oil with either avocado or EVOO because the almond alone isn't quite penetrating enough and my legs get sort of dry and itchy once the oil completely dries.

Skeptic turned believer= me. Very Happy


FYI - the Personal Formulator sells an ingredient called Capislow which is the active ingredient in those shave minimizing lotions that can be incorporated into my body oil recipe: http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=406

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 1571
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:


BTW, am i the only one who cusses the fact that i ever started shaving there??? it really wasn't that bad and the hairs were very light. now, however, i feel like robin williams Shock


No, I regret shaving it a while back when I was younger. I just didn't know any better and the whole 'bushy' look was scaring the boys off Laughing (mind you this was years back when I was in high school). Now I just resort to waxing EVERYTHING completely off.

_________________
26, combination skin with oily t-zone
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1622
Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
No, I regret shaving it a while back when I was younger. I just didn't know any better and the whole 'bushy' look was scaring the boys off Laughing (mind you this was years back when I was in high school). Now I just resort to waxing EVERYTHING completely off.

did that (and actually miss it), but it seems european men prefer the "au natural" look.... the sad thing is that the "bikini line" (i.e., on my thigh) is thicker than my actual.... well, you get the jist. and for someone who despises the "landing strip" and such (i'm an all or nothing gal), it's all kind of heart-shaped because of a surgery i had long ago where the hair doesn't grow Laughing (bet you'll never look at the same again!)
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Posts: 4044
Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
anomaly wrote:
Does anyone know if mixing clary sage EO in camellia oil would work? (It's for the upper lip area) Or would it be irritating for the face?
So long as you dilute the Clary Sage EO in the carrier oil as specified in my recipe, it’s safe to use on the face.

At one point, I was incorporating Clary Sage EO in a few of my facial potion recipes (i.e.: ACV toner, aspirin mask, homemade Decleor Ylang-Ylang oil, etc.) in hopes of lessening my “moustache” and those pesky chin hairs (if you don’t have ‘em yet, don’t get too smug because eventually they will afflict you, too!!)

Standard warning for DIY beginners:

With the exception of Lavender EO and Tea Tree oil: Never Never Never use any type of EO directly on your skin without diluting it in a carrier oil! If you accidentally do so, do not try to rinse it off with water as you’ll only succeed in spreading the oil around and making it worse – like pouring water over a cooking-oil fire in the kitchen. Instead, apply any type of oil (even cooking oil in an emergency) or lotion to dilute the EO and then gently wipe it off with a clean cloth/paper towel/tissue.

AriesExtreme wrote:
Now I just resort to waxing EVERYTHING completely off.
Everything everything? What does your lover think of that? I waxed off everything once, but my man (at the time) was completely repulsed: he said it made him feel like a pedophile! Shock

_________________
Über-oily,semi-sensitive, warm/fair-skinned redhead, 38...Will swap/shop for members outside U.S. and/or make homemade skincare products upon demand-PM me for details.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 525
Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:


AriesExtreme wrote:
Now I just resort to waxing EVERYTHING completely off.
Everything everything? What does your lover think of that? I waxed off everything once, but my man (at the time) was completely repulsed: he said it made him feel like a pedophile! Shock


I tried this once and my BF was fairly neutral about it. But I was weirded out by the look though--I felt "naked"! Embarassed I don't think I'll be trying it again. Too much maintenance besides.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 1191
Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the Nijey on the too much maitenance bit. I hate shaving my bikini area! But I do because my BF likes it, and has suggested I go "all off." But I really can't imagine doing so because I don't think it's attractive and don't think I'd feel sexy that way. I mean, there's got to be a little mystery you know? But, honestly, sometimes I think with the amount of coverage I groom the next step would be all off.

Well, how about some personal info!! My DIY body oil thread has seemed to have gotten a little raunchy. Laughing
julliams
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 52
Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I will give it a go. Sounds easy and hopefully it will work on other areas too.

Juliette
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 2223
Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just placed an order of the shave minimizing oil, i am really not a DIYer unfortunately, so just thought I would go the easy route and buy it from carekate Smile .

I am a bit confused on clary sage oil. I thought it was supposed to inhibit hair growth as mentioned in this thread, but i actually read on a quite a few sites that it encourages hair growth? I know carrie adds capislow in her recipe and that is a hair inhibitor, but what's the story on clary sage? the article i read says,

Quote:
Used as a scalp massage, clary sage oil reputedly encourages hair growth and minimizes hair loss.


from http://beauty.ivillage.com/skinbody/spa/0,,88s2,00.html

_________________
30s, combination skin, ex-Osea devotee, now just starting Creme De La Mer
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Jul 2006
Posts: 1914
Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:42 am      Reply with quote
Tee hee...I'm too lazy to make my own yet, hence I ordered myself some two weeks ago. I hope to get into the DIY thing this summer, when I have more time.

I love it...can't tell the difference yet (interested to hear about the Clary sage) but I can say this oil absorbs faster than any oil I've ever used to moisturize with.

Even if it doesn't inhibit hair growth, I'm sold on its moisturizing properties and will definitely be bugging CareKate again in the future to make me some more Smile

_________________
32, Fair Skin, combo/break-out prone. Simple routine of REN No. 1 Purity Cleansing Balm and Argan oil as a moisturizer; Clarisonic when needed. That's it!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 2223
Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Oh Paris, you're making me even more excited to try the shave minimizing oil. my cheeks have been especially dry this season so hopefully the clary sage will help with that as well as my hair problems Wink

_________________
30s, combination skin, ex-Osea devotee, now just starting Creme De La Mer
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1622
Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:29 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I am a bit confused on clary sage oil. I thought it was supposed to inhibit hair growth as mentioned in this thread, but i actually read on a quite a few sites that it encourages hair growth? I know carrie adds capislow in her recipe and that is a hair inhibitor, but what's the story on clary sage?

i believe clary sage is one of those products that inhibits body hair growth but can promote hair growth on the head (mostly by unblocking the follicles). the article doesn't even mention its star use -- for period cramps!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Bremenn Rosacea Redness Rehab (30 ml / 1 floz) Pevonia for Him Soothing After-Shaving Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)