Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY Shave Minimizing Body Oil (carekate's recipe)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:01 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I just placed an order of the shave minimizing oil, i am really not a DIYer unfortunately, so just thought I would go the easy route and buy it from carekate Smile .

I am a bit confused on clary sage oil. I thought it was supposed to inhibit hair growth as mentioned in this thread, but i actually read on a quite a few sites that it encourages hair growth? I know carrie adds capislow in her recipe and that is a hair inhibitor, but what's the story on clary sage? the article i read says,

Quote:
Used as a scalp massage, clary sage oil reputedly encourages hair growth and minimizes hair loss.

from http://beauty.ivillage.com/skinbody/spa/0,,88s2,00.html

It sounds to me like Ivillage-Beauty got their descriptions mixed up: it's Rosemary and/or Peppermint that "encourage hair growth and minimize hair loss," not Clary Sage...at least not in all the essential oil guides to beauty that I've seen!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
So, I've gone through my first 4 oz batch of body oil, and am now a 1/4 through my second batch, and I'm seeing results on my bikini area. The hair isn't growing as fast, and is easier to shave off. Yay!

This time I used extra virgin olive oil and didn't scent it. But, admittedly, this was because of laziness and the fact I only had $6 in my purse. I'd love to get my hand son some macadamia nut oil and maybe scent it with vanilla next time. BUT, the olive oil is more moisturizing than the sweet almond was.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of modifying my orig recipe to make a sort of "Shave Minimizing Body Butter" so it's not as messy to apply (i.e.: replace some of the liquid-y oils with more solid oils or butters like coconut/shea/cocoa/mango/etc). How does that sound?

Try scenting it with orange-vanilla! It counteracts the smell of the Clary Sage (which I don't like) and smells DIVINE! Lemme know if you want some recommendations of websites from which to order EOs/frangrance oils for cheap....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
I'm thinking of modifying my orig recipe to make a sort of "Shave Minimizing Body Butter" so it's not as messy to apply (i.e.: replace some of the liquid-y oils with more solid oils or butters like coconut/shea/cocoa/mango/etc). How does that sound?

Try scenting it with orange-vanilla! It counteracts the smell of the Clary Sage (which I don't like) and smells DIVINE! Lemme know if you want some recommendations of websites from which to order EOs/frangrance oils for cheap....

A body butter would be AWESOME!!! You can bet I'll be bugging you about that one!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

A body butter sounds great! My legs are dry any time of the year, so I usually end up going over my legs with a moisturizer even after I use the oil.

I would like to know where to get fragrance oils. I can't seem to find any good ones. (I don't care for the scent of the clary sage either; It makes me feel like I'm getting ready to broil myself in the oven with some potatoes).
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I would like to know where to get fragrance oils.
I order from these websites all the time and can vouch for their excellent quality and customer service:
http://www.lemelange.com/fragrance_oilsx.htm
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FragranceOils.html (Check out their version of Aquolina’s “Pink Sugar!”)
http://www.mabelwhite.com/SupplyCo/FragranceOilManufacturers2Ounce.html
http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=8&osCsid=e8bcec975d616d17c0af43ab9403745c (TPF has the best overall prices, but they charge a minimum $8.95 S&H fee so I’d recommend ordering from one of the other websites if you’re only interested in getting 1-2 items)
http://www.aroma-pure.com/essential_oils.htm (This is the first website I ever ordered EOs from so I have a soft-spot for them! They have mostly “fragrant” essential oils, as opposed to fragrance oils, but they have smaller sizes for those who’re only making stuff for themselves and don’t necessarily need to buy “in bulk”)

There’s a ton of other sites, but I deal with the above listed ones on a regular basis and couldn’t be happier with them!

If you like vanillas, I believe it’s Le Melange that offers at least a half-dozen different varieties and each with its own unique scent. I own all of them, but my fave would have to be the “French Vanilla....”

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the clarification on the clary sage oil.

I also think the body butter is an excellent idea, but also think maybe a lotion is a good idea also. I often avoid body butters unless they are the whipped ones because i am too lazy to use them all over my body and they take considerable more effort than a lotion.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
violetanne wrote:
I would like to know where to get fragrance oils.
I order from these websites all the time and can vouch for their excellent quality and customer service:
http://www.lemelange.com/fragrance_oilsx.htm
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FragranceOils.html (Check out their version of Aquolina’s “Pink Sugar!”)
http://www.mabelwhite.com/SupplyCo/FragranceOilManufacturers2Ounce.html
http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=8&osCsid=e8bcec975d616d17c0af43ab9403745c (TPF has the best overall prices, but they charge a minimum $8.95 S&H fee so I’d recommend ordering from one of the other websites if you’re only interested in getting 1-2 items)
http://www.aroma-pure.com/essential_oils.htm (This is the first website I ever ordered EOs from so I have a soft-spot for them! They have mostly “fragrant” essential oils, as opposed to fragrance oils, but they have smaller sizes for those who’re only making stuff for themselves and don’t necessarily need to buy “in bulk”)

There’s a ton of other sites, but I deal with the above listed ones on a regular basis and couldn’t be happier with them!

If you like vanillas, I believe it’s Le Melange that offers at least a half-dozen different varieties and each with its own unique scent. I own all of them, but my fave would have to be the “French Vanilla....”

HTH,
Carrie

Thanks for the recommendations! Le Melange seems to be very resonably priced; the clary sage oil is $4 less than what I paid for it at the health food store. Mad
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Since I am not much of DIYer, I ordered this from Carrie/carekate along with a bunch of other items (all of which i am extremely pleased with). My box of goodies arrived today and started using the shave minimizing oil right away. It comes in a huge plastic bottle which will last me quite some time and smells beautiful. Carrie was very thoughtful as she included two types of top for the bottle--one was the spritzing cap and the other was a flip top cap.

Carrie has instructions to use the shave minimizing oil in a couple ways. The first way is to shave with the oil which i did in the shower and i was surprised that the oil provided enough lubrication--i had expected to get cuts on my legs but there was none.

the oil can also be used as an after shaving/waxing/etc. treatment. i sprayed my damp legs after coming out of the shower and hours later my legs are still moisturized. i totally expected to have to apply lotion afterwards but this was not necessary.

I also slathered some on the sides of my face which i have hairs growing and absolutely hate.

I hope the clary sage and capislow will retard hair growth and stop me from being so damn hairy! Wink I will update of course at a later time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am still very confused about clary sage oil. The more I read about it the more it seems almost all the sites say that clary sage EO encourages hair growth.

la vie en rose--you stated earlier that clary sage EO may retard hair growth everyone else except the head. Is there a page you can direct me to that states this? I can't find it on google Sad .

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:21 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I am still very confused about clary sage oil. The more I read about it the more it seems almost all the sites say that clary sage EO encourages hair growth.

la vie en rose--you stated earlier that clary sage EO may retard hair growth everyone else except the head. Is there a page you can direct me to that states this? I can't find it on google Sad .

Have you been having any luck with the stuff you got from carekate?

I'm still having luck with my DIY oil. I even added the clary sage to some monoi oil I have, and that works! I'm down to using it on my legs every other day. I've noticed I don't get itchy stubble-- the hair that grows in thinner and softer.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi violetanne,

Yes, I am definitely getting results with the shave minimizing oil from Carrie! The thing is Carrie's also contains capislow, so I am wondering whether the clary sage works by itself as the inhibitor in the DIY version, but apparently it has for you.

btw, I have been shaving with it and using it on damp legs after my shower (i love applying the oil this way, it's so easy).

Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I was a long time user of the Jergen's shave minimizing lotion, until they broke my heart and discontinued it. I tried the Aveeno shave minimizing stuff, but it was too expensive ($8 for only a few ounces) and it left my legs sticky-feeling. I was perusing the DIY thread and came across Carekate's recipe for shave minimizing oil.

Where is this DIY thread with all the recipes? Several posts in this thread mention it, and I can't find it. Help!

Thanks.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi alibabka,

here it is:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Very nice recipes! Enjoy,

Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much, scaddicted. Smile
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Have you guys thought of doing clary sage in a soybean oil base? Soy is supposed to be another one of those hair minimizing ingredients, and some users have had success in this thread. I'm hoping to make a blend with soy and clary sage soon to test out, so we'll see how it goes! Very Happy

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Just FYI:

i have done some reading on clary sage oil and consulted some mods from another skin care forum and i think it's agreed that clary sage actually promotes hair growth. and all the online research regarding this EO says it promotes hair growth:

http://www.aromatherapy-essential-oils.org/essentialoil/profile/clarysage/index.htm

http://www.olympianlabs.com/html/product/default.aspx?catID=5&prodID=81

http://beauty.ivillage.com/skinbody/spa/0,,88s2,00.html

if anyone has info stating otherwise, i would appreciate it.

Kris

ginnielizz--the soy bean base sounds like a great idea.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:23 am      Reply with quote
This is interesting, Kris -- I've never seen that before, but all three of your sites say it PROMOTES hair growth. It's so funny, I've always said that if something truly worked for its claimed purpose, it would be recognized for that purpose across the board, you know?

(This theory came from living in Spain where they use chamomile to calm stomach ache/nausea, and linden to cure insomnia, instead of peppermint/ginger for stomach and chamomile for sleep. My friend used to joke that the only herb globally recognized for curing insomnia is marijuana, haha. I guess he has a point...)

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Well, all I know is that the body oil works in minimizing hair growth on my legs. But guess what? I'm gonna start massaging the clary sage into my hairline, and we'll see what happens. The hair there seems to be getting thin and more apt to break.
tpitchford

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys,
I am very new to the forum. I was searching on for shave minimizers and came across this forum. After reading through a couple a post I saw a lot people metion Carekate's recipe and even saw someone say that they purchased a product that Carekate made. So where do I find these products or even a list of Carekate's recipes?

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:24 am      Reply with quote
tpitchford wrote:
Hey guys,
I am very new to the forum. I was searching on for shave minimizers and came across this forum. After reading through a couple a post I saw a lot people metion Carekate's recipe and even saw someone say that they purchased a product that Carekate made. So where do I find these products or even a list of Carekate's recipes?

Although the products have not been available for some time (this thread is from 2006), please see the post by skincareaddicted a few above yours for a link to the recipe index where you will find Carekate's and many others recipes. HTHs!
tpitchford

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks. That link is very helpful.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |