Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

something terrible is happening to me now :-(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone

Sorry Ive not been posting for the past couple of weeks - ive been a bit up and down with things.

Well i had my two ct scans done the other week and have now had the results. I dont have any lymph nodes come up in my chest or stomach and none of them are infected with lymphomia (sorry not sure on the spelling there). My CT scans have come back showing that i have mild E... (and now ive forgotten the word - im not sure if it was emphorcemia or not) on both lungs and this is what was showing up on my left lung from the first xray. I aske the consultant if it was bad and he said well it is actually the start of something to do with smoking and if i carried on the two to three years down the line then the news would not be so good for me. I think ive had a bit of a warning here. I dont have to have any treatment at the moment - it could correct itself with not smoking. My mum and myself have actually stopped smoking a week today. I must say the past week has been hard but i know I have to do this now

I just want to thank everybody here who has given me such tremendous support since ive been an EDS member especially these past few months. I feel like a great weight has been lifted. Now all i have to do is get back on track............. and start looking at antiaging things instead lol. Get ready for all my questions

Love to you all
xxx

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
It's good to hear from you. It sounds like you were diagnosed with emphysema. You absolutely MUST stop smoking sweetie. If it's allowed to progress, it's an awful, awful disease and you are VERY young to be showing signs of it.
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Katee

Hows things with you? Hope all is ok

This has definately been a worrying time for me. Its been a week without the awful cigs. Im not doing too bad. There have been times when i feel im going to give into them but i know i musnt. Im extremely lucky - alot of other people dont get a warning such as this and are diagnosed with something so much worse. Im really proud of my mum for stoping with me. I know she is finding it extremely difficult as she smoked quite alot but so far she has not had any the past week either. I think it is good we are doing it together.

Now i need to concentrate on my skin care again as i must admit ive beena bit slakening just lately with all the worry etc.

Thanks for your support
x

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sally

I'm so glad to hear that your x-rays came back clear of your main worries. You and your mum are very lucky to have each other's support in giving up smoking, you will beat this for sure!
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Fifi. ive definately got to do it this time for good

Katee im a bit worried. I think when I saw the Consultant I was too releived to take in all he was saying. He said i only had something mild on both lungs and said I didnt need treatment. Now I think there are many questions I should of asked like can it correct itself by stopping smoking or am i likely to get full blown emphysema later on??

Ive just had a quick look on the internet about emphysema and its not good at all is it
x

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sally and welcome back! Congratulations on quitting smoking. I quit October 1 and must say I am proud of myself. Please, never think you can just have one. From all I have heard if you catch emphysema in the early stages your lungs will heal themselves. I would think that most heavy smokers having the tests you had would be diagnosed with some form of emphysema.

Again, welcome back and congratulations.

Winnie
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:39 am      Reply with quote
It is reversible glad you found out and it's not so bad. By the way you have beautiful eyes.
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie

Now you just know im going to be bombarding all the ladies on here with my many skin care issues Laughing

Thank you for everything. How are things going with you? Are you feeling alot better?

I feel like Ive been gone from EDS for ages. Im going to be sifting through alot of threads to get back up to date on things.

Hi Sharky - ah thank you for the lovely compliment. I think now one of my main things is to learn to love me for what i am and not keep thinking im this ugly thing. I struggle with what i look like and am very hard on myself and yet i have had so many wonderful compliments from such beautiful and stunning ladies here on EDS I should be proud. Both my mum and John (her new husband) have said I need to start enjoying my life now and it is true. ive been reading about emphysema and think im scaring myself abit incase it goes into something terrible. As youve probably gathered from my many posts that i am quite a worrier. Im actually going to make an appointment i think to see my dr as he should have the results from the consultant very soon and maybe ask him to explain things in more detail to me. I know one thing for sure im not going to smoke. Ive just been to see my mum on the way home from work and she has still not had a cigarette. im so proud of her

Think the first post is to see the Face behind the screen name and catch up with everyone

Love to you all
xxx

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Very happy for you, that the worst is behind you. Now you can concentrate how to improve your health and enjoy life.

Best of luck,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think there's any need for you to worry. It IS an awful disease, but the good thing about it is that if it is caught early, and you stop smoking, your lungs will begin to heal. Even if they still show some traces of your past as a smoker, the emphysema will NOT progress. The only thing you need worry about is sticking with your commitment not to smoke.

It IS great that your mom has stopped too. You can give each other support, plus it will be a great benefit to her health as well.

I think what you'll also find is that your skin will improve tremendously now that you've quit. My father was a VERY heavy smoker for decades and decades. He developed a health problem, his doc scared the hell out of him, and he quit smoking just like that! It was the most amazing phenomena; even more so because my mother continued to smoke. I live in Maryland and my family lives in NYC. I don't visit as often in the winter time and hadn't seen him for a couple of months. I couldn't believe the change. I swear he looked 20 years younger!!!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm really glad you got to the bottom of this Salster. I think it's a wake up call to all of us!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
As a current smoker myself I wanted to add to this conversation. I have tried twice to quit and was too weak so I applaude you Salster, I know you will make it. I also wanted to say that my grandmother was diagnosed with emphysema at around 45 and she quit smoking and within 6 months to a year she had no problems at all, now that does not mean the disease disappeared but she stopped it from progressing and with increased exercise she was able to do anything she wanted physically for the next 40 years. So Salster you are doing the right thing and you will live a long healthy life because of it. Now I wish I could take my own advice but I wanted to give you kudos for your success.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I hope you can stay clean and that this warning works for you. My mom smoked for many years and on Christmas Eve we had quite a scare when she couldn't breathe and had to be rushed to hospital. They couldn't find anything wrong and discharged her, again on the 26th she was again admitted unable to breathe. She was kept there for three days tested and tested but they could find nothing wrong. She had now been smoke free for six days when they sent her home again. She was tired and wanted to rest at home instead of coming home with me but the next day when I went to check on her she was dead, I found her lying on her floor - the coronor said at least 6-8 hours she'd been gone.

The shock is still with me, it was smoking that did it and now they say they found heart disease and bilateral pneumonia, both missed during her hospital stay and both exacerbated by her smoking. She quit finally but six days before she died wasn't enough. I haven't said anything yet on the board but it breaks my heart when I see how often people miss the severity of that filthy habit and so here I am spilling it out.

I'm so glad to see you are taking this chance to make a healthy change I hope it works out for you both Good luck!
rsmcclain
5% products discount

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Dahli, my condolences on your loss. You are so right that smoking is a filthy habit and it robs us of our health and loved ones!

Salster, I quit smoking almost four years ago after smoking for over 25 years. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but now I am so glad and proud that I quit. I know you might not think so now, but it really does get easier! Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing the best thing you can for your health (and your wallet).

It is great that you have your mother as a quit buddy! What helped me a lot was reading all the quit smoking info on the internet (and I smoked quite a few straws when I was driving! lol). And don't ever give into the thought that smoking "just one" cig is okay. It has caused many a person to relapse into full-blown smokers again. You can do it!
~Janet~
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Oh gosh Dahli, how awful! You have my heartfelt condolences. I also lost my mom not to long away and, although she really fought, the doctors said that her cardio-pulmonary condition was severely comprised by decades of smoking. Ultimately, the cause of death was listed as cardiac failure.

At the time, my anger was almost as strong as my grief. I grew up in a house with 2 heavy smokers and have ALWAYS despised the habit.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
My condolences also Dahli. I lost my mother a few years ago to lung cancer caused by years of heavy smoking. Both of my parents had smoked heavily since their teens, but my father has now quit which I am so thankful for.
mper1327
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Salster--

You know, I think this may be a blessing in disguise. It will give you the willpower to quit. I know it's scary as hell, but it could've been so much worse, and now you know what you can do to keep the worst from happening.

This makes me want to quit smoking all the more. I have cut back to half a pack a day, but find it really hard right now to quit completely. I have acute panic disorder, and take several meds to somewhat control it. Whenever I try to quit smoking, I completely freak out, like panic-city. I talked to my doctors about this, and they advised me to cut back, but not to try quitting completely right now. THIS, from 2 doctors, and one psychologist! I couldn't believe my ears! I insisted, and they tried putting me on the Zyban, and all that did was make me REALLY sick. Sad

I know I have to quit tho, better sooner than later........

My to you Sally, as always! You are now my inspiration to quit!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dahli

I am so very very sorry to hear about your mum and also to yu to Katee and Fifi. I cant begin to imagine being without my mum. Although ive had a few scary months I am extremely lucky. This has definately been a warning for me. and the good thing is that it has helped my mum to stop to. I hope my scare may also help any ladies on here to stop smoking along with Katees, Fifis and Dahlis loss. Ive still not had a cigarette and neither has my mum. The past couple of days has infact been easier. The worst times for me are probably first thing in the morning and then when i get home from work in the evening but I just get on with doing things and i soon find ive actually forgotten about it. I have noticed that the chesty cough which i have had for as long as I can remember has more or less gone. If i do get a bit of a crave for wanting a cigarette all im going to think about now is those that have lost loved ones from smoking and how i would end up with full emphysema should i carry on.

Both me and my mum have been using nicotine patches and I think they have helped a great deal. I know I must never think i can just have the one cigarette again - for me this has got to be stopping for good now. One things for sure i certainly dont want to relive the past couple of months even though things turned out not so bad in the end.

Ooh Katee it would be such a bonus if after a while i could look younger than what i do now just like your dad.

I have made so many good friends on here who have given me such support and shown a tremendous amount of care. I hope I can give as much back at some point.

Love to you all - Katee, Fifi and Dhali i really feel for your losses and send all my love to you
xxx

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Katee, Fifi and Dhali - please, accept my condolences. I am so sorry for your pain and loss.

Salster - congratulation on your (and your mom's) quitting and wishes of health and happiness.

Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Sally, I am new here. I read your posts and I am so glad to know that things are getting better for you. Please be strong and I want to be here with others to support you and your mom, for more beautiful skin, healthier body and better life.

Katee, Fifi and Dhali, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Jasmine
Blacklace
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sally,

Great to hear some news from you. Good luck with the strong willpower on smoking. Your body will thank you in years to come. London is becoming so antisocial to smokers. I feel sorry to see so many people huddled in corners in the freezing cold smoking in the City. But I don't like breathing in second hand smoke even so I tend to cross the street. Seems like ciggies cannot be good for anybody so good luck girl in kicking the habit.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much for your kind words and sympathy I am still so sad and understand that a couple of months is not a long time - I am currently dealing with some pretty horrible rashes on my legs and arms which doctor says is stress related and it's very upsetting which doesn't help. One doc says eczema one says allergies and another says infection!

all I know is it drives me crazy it itches and is so awful to look at... does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I'm using Neem oil right now which does seem to be helping a bit, but the little tiny red dots are the worst for itch... HELP!
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Oh Dahli, I'm so sorry for you. I too lost both my Mom and Dad and a very dear friend, all within 8 months. During this time one of my two best friends was hospitalized with double pneumonia and blood sepsis, and she almost died, THEN my other best friend was in a horrible car accident and sustained a closed head injury..these last two have been my best friends since I was ten years old, and I'm now 57! But they both made it, thank God! We've been through everything together, the marriages, divorces, everything.. I was very close to my parents, being the "baby" of the family, and the only one of us who was divorced. I still cry every day about my parents and will miss them every day of my life. But as the days go on, I don't cry as hard or as long..I am beginning to heal, just as everyone told me I would. I know one thing though, the greatest tribute I can pay them is to live a good life and be happy, just as they did and would want me to do. They were the greatest people! Everyone loved them. LOL..now I'm crying again! But Dahli? I know how you feel and trust me when I say it will get better. My Mom died in my arms in the hospital and that was probably the worst day of my life--it consoles me to know though that both my parents are in a better place and are not suffering any more--that too gives me consolation. Please keep that in mind, it WILL get better as time goes on.. You'll be in my prayers, Dear...
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, Salster. I'm so glad the news you got was good! As a fellow worrier, I will tell you what my Dad always told me--"Don't worry until you have something to worry about," and "Worry will not change the future." I've had soooooooooooooooooo many health scares..serious ones at that. But all the worries I suffered with all those times, and I'm sure you know what I mean when I say "suffer" was all for nothing! When I think of all those wasted hours worrying, how much those worries took from my life, all that wasted energy! LOLOL.. Well, I'll never worry again, because it dawned on me one day that every minute you're worrying is a minute you're not happy, and you can't get those minutes back.

As for your boyfriend, all I can say is "don't let the b--st--ds get you down! The one thing I've learned in my 57 years is that men will come and go throughout your life, but good friends are there forever!

Keep moving forward Sal, and never look back! and as far as the bf goes, you know you deserve better! As someone else pointed out, it wasn't you at all, it was him so don't even waste your time giving him a second thought. Be glad he's out of your life..you're a darn good looking woman, and you certainly don't have to "settle" -- none of us do..

P.S. I too smoked for 25 years, and quit.. Once I made up my mind it was easy and I was a 3-pack a day smoker. I've been off the coffin nails for 18 years now--and it's a good thing because with the price of cigs in Michigan, I'd either be smoking or eating! LOLOL.. What I really wanted to say is that at least 15 people I know, most of whom smoked, have or have had emphysema and they're all FINE! Just stay off the cigarettes, make yourself the promise that you'll not ever smoke and again, then pray a lot for help! It works! Surprised)
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Salster, I'm so glad your cxr report came back without the big "C" in it and I hate to be a downer but, don't take the Emphysema diagnosis lightly. Keep up the good work with not smoking b/c that will be crucial. As a nurse I've seen patients and even a couple of family members with this and they didn't stop smoking in time and had too much lung damage. Some have to have oxygen even at home. I'm glad you have your mom's support. Avail yourself to what ever help you need, like support groups, hypnosis, accupuncture, extra hobbies, exercise, even medication if necessary. I'm sorry too sound so "preachy", I'm just concerned. Keep us posted, Janet.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |