Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rave: homemade “Pearl Paste” + Hpjrt's Recipes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
My first mix of SKbio did not contain any other preservatives except the tiny amount in the antioxidant booster I added in it. I had about 15ml with me in the bathroom and store the rest in the fridge.

Now I just received 1 liter of SKBio from the group buy, I would like to dilute it with rose hydrosol and it would be easier if I can dilute the whole thing at once...okay...I am too lazy? Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
What's your percentage of dilution?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I think 80% SKbio and 20% rose hydrosol or 70% and 30%.....not sure

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
That should be okay. Take out what you'll be using within 4-6 weeks and store the rest in the fridge. If you add nothing else, the amount in the fridge should be good for several months.

Ari

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Ari Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
You're very welcome, Wild Cat. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 am      Reply with quote
I've finished reading this whole thread but Im wondering if the pearl cream has helped to prevent clogged pores or breakouts? I cant decide between this an carekate's ylang ylang sebum regulating fluid.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi faeriedust,

The reason I developed Pearl Paste to begin with is because I had problems with breakouts. I had managed to get my pores clear with OCM ... but I needed something to prevent future clogging ... and to discourage breakouts.

In other words ... yes ... pearl paste does help prevent pores from clogging and helps prevent breakouts ... at least is has for me during the more than a year that I've been using it. Laughing

That said ... I don't rely on Pearl Paste alone. I continue with OCM ... and I also use a salicylic acid toner, which also helps to keep my pores clear. It's after the SA toner that I apply the Pearl Paste.

However, because not everything works for everyone ... or at least not to the same degree, I wouldn't discount Carrie's ylang ylang sebum regulating fluid either. Very Happy

HTH

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll give it a try. I havent found the right moisturiser and I've been changing brands. Right now Im using jojoba oil. But it seems to be giving clogged pores. Not sure if it's that or the other thing I recently added in my regime. Will jojoba oil cause clogged pores?
What salicylic toner are u using? I was using paula's choice bha solution but not as a toner. I put it on my face instead of using a cotton wool.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi again faeriedust,

I make my own salicylic acid "toner" ... but it might be a misnomer to call it a "toner" since technically a "toner" is used to restore pH. Smile Let's just say I use the SA mix just after I've cleansed my skin. Very Happy

I make a 5% solution ... but that might be too strong for you if your skin isn't used to it.

The recipe for a 5% solution is pretty basic.

hpjrt's (Mary's) Salicylic Acid Toner

1/8 tsp salicylic acid
2 tbls alcohol or oil or propylene glycol

If you use alcohol it's pretty strong ... if you use oil, that 5% is buffered and doesn't have the same sting.

I tend to dissolve the 1/8 tsp of SA into a small amount of alcohol and top of the balance of the 2 tbls with hydrosol and a bit of propylene glycol. I find my face likes this combo ...

You want the pH to be around 3.5 I think. [I'd have to check to be sure!]

If you wanted to make a milder version, just reduce the SA to 1/16 tsp for a 2.5% mix.

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, this is the first time I play with pearl powders. I have to say that I agree with skincareaddict that pearl powders don't really dissolve completely. It might dissolve more if I have a mixer (I was too impatient to wait for it to arrive in the mail) Mad
I know Mary always say pearl powders are water-soluble...but that's not my experience with them at this moment....

Impatiently, waiting for the mixture to thickens....I hope it will thickens... hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Okay, this is the first time I play with pearl powders. I have to say that I agree with skincareaddict that pearl powders don't really dissolve completely. It might dissolve more if I have a mixer (I was too impatient to wait for it to arrive in the mail) Mad
I know Mary always say pearl powders are water-soluble...but that's not my experience with them at this moment....

Impatiently, waiting for the mixture to thickens....I hope it will thickens... hmm

Mine stayed watery for 3 hours. I put more pearl powder and mixed. And more powder and mixed. And finally it became a "paste". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It looks like the powder did not really dissolved well but after I put it on my skin there is no residue.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Pearl powder is completely water-soluble. It should dissolve right away. Did you try heating the water a little?

Also - if it becomes a paste right away, then it is eventually going to harden into a cement block that will be unusable. It's normal for it to take a couple of hours to start to 'firm'.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
No, Kim, I didn't heat up the water. I think my main problem is not having a mixer. I cannot imagine pearl powder dissolving like sugar in water. I don't think I added too little liquid. After so many hours I guess it has thicken a little bit...not much...not a paste...

I do have it on my face though...feels fine and nothing too weird is going on...can only wait and see what happens...

I do hope maybe the pearl powders can be more dissolved...maybe I will run it under the hand mixer (when I finally get it in the mail)...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Do you have a whisk? Or did you try using a fork as if you were whipping eggs?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wildcat,

Having developed Pearl Paste in the first place ... I can assure you that it's just a matter of method ... and the fine line between "too much water" and "just enough." Laughing Lord knows in the year or more that I've been making and using it ... I've run into just about all the problems that can arise. However, pearl powder does dissolve completely in water.

The texture is much better using a mixer ... but that only applies to somewhat larger batches. For a small batch, one of those tiny whisks does just fine ... but it does take "elbow grease"! The goal is for smoothness ... so that you don't end up with lumps. Sometimes what appears to be "undissolved" pearl powder is really a portion of the pearl powder that didn't get mixed enough with the water. PM me if you'd like more details on how to solve this. Very Happy

There is no need to heat the water ... but room temperature is good.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Wildcat -
In the many years that I've been making products, I've learned that while heating isn't always
necessary, it does, in fact, often make mixing SO much easier. Some things do require heating in order for the emulsions to mix correctly - but not everything does.

It's kind of like sugar & water - sugar will melt in room temperature water - but it will melt much more quickly & efficiently in warm water. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:24 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Do you have a whisk? Or did you try using a fork as if you were whipping eggs?

Hello Kim,
I do have a whisk but I didn't use it. I just mixed for hours with a plastic spatula and a teaspoon. I added 5 teaspoon of pearl powder into 10 teaspoons of liquid (I think double the amount is what Mary suggested in some previous post)
Since I already added many other things into the mixture, I am reluctant to warm the mixture up at this point. The mixture is more solid today, like a thick gel...and it went on more smoothly, the remaining undissolved pearl powders disappear on my skin when I rub it in but can't put too much because might turn my face white...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Warming it at this point probably won't help - but you'll know to try it next time. Wink

You can also try working with smaller amounts until you get it perfected. That way it won't go to 'waste'.

If you're having trouble applying it thinly enough - try applying to a damp face - or wetting your finger. It makes the application so much easier & you can really get a thin, even coat on.

If you get the white specks - just dampen your fingertip & rub gently over the spot - it should dissolve/disappear.

Also - try the whisk next time - I think you'll find it helps a lot. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi Wildcat,

Having developed Pearl Paste in the first place ... I can assure you that it's just a matter of method ... and the fine line between "too much water" and "just enough." Laughing Lord knows in the year or more that I've been making and using it ... I've run into just about all the problems that can arise. However, pearl powder does dissolve completely in water.

The texture is much better using a mixer ... but that only applies to somewhat larger batches. For a small batch, one of those tiny whisks does just fine ... but it does take "elbow grease"! The goal is for smoothness ... so that you don't end up with lumps. Sometimes what appears to be "undissolved" pearl powder is really a portion of the pearl powder that didn't get mixed enough with the water. PM me if you'd like more details on how to solve this. Very Happy

There is no need to heat the water ... but room temperature is good.

Mary

Hello Mary,
Thanks for your advice. My patch was about 4-5 ozs...So, I am not sure it small or big... Confused I did have to mix for hours by hand....yes...my right wrist hurts Mad
I can't say the "undissolved" pearl powders look like "lumps". I don't know if you have seem SAS's Bright-I eye cream or not...it looks like there are undissolved stuff in it but it disappear after rubbing it in a little.
What else can I do to make it "dissolve" better before my mixer arrive in the mail? without heating up the mixture (I added many things into the mixture, just don't want to risk it by heating the mixture up)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Warming it at this point probably won't help - but you'll know to try it next time. Wink

You can also try working with smaller amounts until you get it perfected. That way it won't go to 'waste'.

If you're having trouble applying it thinly enough - try applying to a damp face - or wetting your finger. It makes the application so much easier & you can really get a thin, even coat on.

If you get the white specks - just dampen your fingertip & rub gently over the spot - it should dissolve/disappear.

Also - try the whisk next time - I think you'll find it helps a lot. Wink

Thanks Kim, I think my patch is too big. It is going to last me for a while...but I am already full of ideas for modification, making it better.... Idea

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that's a pretty big batch for one person. Very Happy

Trial & error - it's what makes great products!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
kim@ifeelpretty wrote:
Yes, that's a pretty big batch for one person. Very Happy

Trial & error - it's what makes great products!

I just got my hand-held mixer in the mail! If only I had more patience yesterday....
I poured the gel like mixture into a bigger bowl and started mixing it (of course, I made a mess and wasted some products) but the good news is that the remaining white powders blended in more so now the colour is lighter without visible powder. It looks and feels whipped. Dancing
I am pretty excited now Pray I already want to wash my face again and put it on Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yay!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

What sort of mixer did you get? Is it the milk frother type ... or something a little more powerful?

Glad that it's helping with the consistency ... at this point.

Do keep us posted.

Mary

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |