Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rave: homemade “Pearl Paste” + Hpjrt's Recipes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I haven't noticed a difference in breakouts...sadly. Do you need to apply it directly to the breakout o/n?

Can someone please tell me the difference in a word between the creme v/s paste? I know it's probably buried in this thread...

Rolling Eyes
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I can't wait to get the ingre. or order from Mary or Carrie.. It won't be much longer and I'll be off this NON wanted non buy.. It's killing me! I have such a list of new wants, and replacements, I've run out of...

I've been looking into pearl powder for over a year.. Why oh why, didn't I do anything about that back then.. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
I haven't noticed a difference in breakouts...sadly. Do you need to apply it directly to the breakout o/n?

Can someone please tell me the difference in a word between the creme v/s paste? I know it's probably buried in this thread...

Rolling Eyes

I've been wondering the same thing!!! I thought I was the only one who didn't know the difference. You're in good company! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Agent OO-CAT wrote:

Well perhaps I'm the only one who had different types of "breakouts"! Laughing

There were those not-too-deep ones that came to a head and went away. Then there were the ones that you could feel before they got there. Those were the bain of my existence!

I could feel a "tender" spot on my face ... which would, within days, become a bump. I always referred to them as "blind" pimples ... because they never came to a head. I know this because years and years ago I would try to pop them ... but there was never anything there. Perhaps they were cystic ... but the bump would seem huge ... and they would take a very long time to go away ... and inevitably left long-lasting red marks [scars?]

Once I got older, I seemed to get more of this type of blemish than the other ... although I got the other type as well. None of the over-the-counter acne meds would do more than overly dry them ... make them peel ... ensuring that they left those nasty red "scars".

Once I began OCM the "ordinary" type seemed to not be a problem ... and I often wonder if they were simply the result of cloggged pores. Confused At any rate, while OCM reduced my blackheads and general breakouts to practically nil ... those tender spots that would develop into blind bumps were still a problem once in a while. Crying or Very sad

However, once I'd made Pearl Paste for the first time, I happened to feel one of these blind bumps emerging. I spot-treated the area with Pearl Paste one night ... and by the next morening, not only had the "bump" that was forming disappeared, but the tenderness was gone ... and there was no red mark! Very Happy

My girlfriend gets these sometimes as well ... so I gave her some and told her what to do ... and the Pearl Paste made her's vanish as well.

Then I used Pearl Paste as a spot treatment ... but now I use Pearl Paste all over my face. If, however, I notice one of those "tender spots" I use a smidge more Pearl Paste to spot treat it.

I've also used Pearl Paste as a spot treatment on just about any bump I might get on my body ... with very satisfying results!

I hope this helps clarify what I meant ...

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mary, thanks for the clarification regarding the pearl creme. i realized the lumps weren't big pieces of pearl but the vitamin K that you pointed out. so all i do now is smash the lumps in my hand before applying on my face and they blend right in. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
hmm I've been using CareKate's pearl Creme sample for a few days but the breakouts aren't going away. I have those annoying spots that have just been sitting there for a couple of weeks now. I've tried spot treating with lavender and tea tree oil E.Os, with aspirin mask, with Pimple Remover and also the Creme o/n but so far no luck. GGgrrr. Guess I'll put more of the product tonight.

I like the name a lot, which reminds me to ask again if some kind soul could please tell me the difference between the creme and the paste. Cheers.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
...which reminds me to ask again if some kind soul could please tell me the difference between the creme and the paste. Cheers.
I posted the answer to this question in another thread, but it only makes sense I should also post it here so....

carekate wrote:
razinkane wrote:
Do you know the difference between the pearl paste and the pearl cream?
I’m SO glad you asked because I’ve been getting a lot of PMs on the subject and – for obvious internet access reasons – it’s easier for me to answer here rather than respond individually!!

So here goes:

Please be advised that the product by CareKate formerly known as “Pearl Paste” is hereinafter going to be called CareKate’s Pearl CREAM. The reason for the name change is due to modifications I’ve made to HPJRT’s basic recipe to customize it, which has resulted in the texture becoming less pasty and more creamy (actually, it’s pretty much akin to...wait for it...TAPIOCA PUDDING!! Seriously, that’s EXACTLY what it looks like in the jar.

I’m pleased to say that I’ve taken Mary’s previously posted pearl paste recipe and “tweaked” it just enough to make it uniquely my own and to enhance it’s original properties so that it became something that everyone will be able to use (not just for oily-skinned wenches, as both Mary and I are).

But the MAIN reason that I’m calling it “Pearl Cream” rather than “Paste” is because I hope to offer this product among the items for sale on my website one day in the (hopefully, not too distant) future and – since Mary was the originator of this product/recipe idea – I didn’t want to COMPLETELY rip off both her original concept and her original product name!!!!

It’s sorta like, you know how there is real/authentic Dr. Pepper, and then there are the various imposters sold at the supermarket that have a slightly different name – like “Dr. Store-brand” – but you know it’s almost completely identical? Well, there you go!

But I’ll always be indebted to Mary for turning me onto this idea and allowing me to run with it because I doubt I ever would have considered using any type of ground pearl powder in any of my DIY recipes without her inspiration.

But I want to make it very clear: if Mary hadn't shared her original Pearl Paste with me last year when I was searching for an answer to help my mom's rosacea, I NEVER would have thought of trying ground pearl powder in any of my recipes. Same deal goes for the Pearl Silk Primer powder -- Mary came up with the original idea, I've just taken what she started and incorporated it into my Silk Dust recipe (the one posted in the DIY thread that caused the cops to bust my "lab")....So all those raves ya'll have been lavishing on "CareKate's Pearl Creme" should also go to the originator, Miss Mary HPJRT!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for answering CareKate. I knew the answer must be somewhere but I wasn't very good at finding it... You're right, it does look like tapioca pudding. Does smell pretty yummy too. So far I have resisted tasting it though! Very Happy
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Cat - In the past 2 months I've seriously lowered my hormonal breakouts to 'nothing really visible'.

I use Carekate's pearl cream AND her bump blasting serum over my chin, nose, wherever I feel a breakout is happening.

Last month I did it early enough and had no breakouts whatsoever. This month I was slow but started the next day and although I feel the bumps, nothing is red or visible.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to put in my 2 cents as I've now been using this long enough to really decide whether I like it or not.

I've been using Pearl Cream and at first I felt really tight and honestly didn't like it that much. Stuck with it and now (2 weeks later) the tightness is slight and only occurs at the acne patches. It really helps with redness and inflammation though and I ALWAYS use it after extractions and after my acne gels, really helps healing and preventing new breakouts near the spot. I now don't think I can live with it - I do need to use a moisturizer on my cheeks afterwards if I want my skin feeling really plump but I can go without it when I'm lazy.
The only thing I don't like about it is I find it does ball off sometimes, not sure why, sort of like it creates a barrier to my face and when I rub it stuff comes off. Any ideas on this aspect?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui-have you tried putting an oil (decleor ylang ylang or camellia) under the pearl creme? I have done that and also over the pearl creme and my SS never balls up. I don't wear powder or foundation though, so i don't know if the oil can stop those from balling up.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Wow I didn't realise this stuff was so good. A friend sent me some pearl powder from the US a couple of months ago but it's just been sitting in my draw this whole time because I had no idea what to do with it. I'll try it tonight and find out where my friend got it from and how much she paid for it
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
sormuimui-have you tried putting an oil (decleor ylang ylang or camellia) under the pearl creme? I have done that and also over the pearl creme and my SS never balls up. I don't wear powder or foundation though, so i don't know if the oil can stop those from balling up.

I always use oils beforehand. My routine is the oil, acne gel and then the Pearl Cream. Well even if I don't put anything over it after a few hours if I scratch my chin or a part of my face or if I rub I'll get pieces coming off. However I don't get this if I put moisturizer or something over top of it like sunscreen. So I'm not sure why. But this happens with my BBS acne gel as well.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi sormuimui,

When you said that the pearl paste "balls up" I was perplexed because pearl paste shouldn't "ball up" ever.

However, now that I see you put acne gel on prior to putting on pearl paste ... I think that's your problem.

Very often acne gels have leave "film" on the skin that you don't notice until you put other things on top of it. Retin-A gel is the same ... and you notice the "balling up" when you try to put moisturizer over top of the Retin-A.

I'd suggest that you put the pearl paste on before your oil or acne gel. Indeed, I think you'll find that with the pearl paste you may not even need your acne gel ... pearl paste does a great job of keeping my face clear ... which was why I developed it in the first place.

Another problem I discovered quite by accident is that some people use way too much pearl paste. I don't know about with Carrie's version, but with my original version of Pearl Paste, a very little bit goes a long way.

I tell my testers/users to start out with a damp face and about a pea sized amount of the Pearl Paste and begin to work that amount into their face/neck. If the pea sized amount doesn't quite do the entire area to add more but in minute amounts.

Despite its looking like a "cream" ... it can't be used like a cream ... you can't "slather" it on or you'll end up with a residue.

If I feel I need more moisture, I always put the oil on after applying Pearl Paste ... I really think that Pearl Paste needs to be right next to the skin ...

Hope that helps.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:00 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
The only thing I don't like about it is I find it does ball off sometimes, not sure why, sort of like it creates a barrier to my face and when I rub it stuff comes off. Any ideas on this aspect?
It's probably the sea-kelp bioferment (remember the talk about how some DMAE serums "ball up" and Candy discovered it was due to the SK-bio?) -- this is especially true if you apply a product on top of the Pearl Creme. I'll leave the SK-bio out from now on and substitute a marine algae extract instead (but I need to use up my current batch first so in the FUTURE it'll be SK-bio free)....

ETA: obviously SK-bio is one of the modifications I made to Mary's orig recipe posted on pg 1 of this thread.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary and Carekate for these clarifications. How does this routine sound? I'd appreciate any feedback.

1. Cleanse/tone
2.Vit C SR
3. Face oil
4. Spot treatment
5. Pearl Creme
6. SS
7. Foundation/ Concealer

Or, dispense of #4?

Or, Pearl Creme as #2?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:05 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Another problem I discovered quite by accident is that some people use way too much pearl paste. I don't know about with Carrie's version, but with my original version of Pearl Paste, a very little bit goes a long way.

I tell my testers/users to start out with a damp face and about a pea sized amount of the Pearl Paste and begin to work that amount into their face/neck. If the pea sized amount doesn't quite do the entire area to add more but in minute amounts.

Despite its looking like a "cream" ... it can't be used like a cream ... you can't "slather" it on or you'll end up with a residue.

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with that! In fact -- at least with my version -- a pea-sized amount might be too much -- maybe half a pea!! This stuff is highly concentrated and a tiny dab is all you need to cover your whole face, especially if it's still damp like Mary stated....

I know that doesn't sound like nearly enough product to do the job, but if you sort of rub it the Creme/Paste between your fingertips for a couple seconds to warm/emulsify it, you'll find it enough to cover your entire face. And if you need a bit more, just get a tiny dab more to cover the reminder. Start out with a tiny little bit and add more if you need it.

*CareKate goes off to modify the instructions on the "label"*

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
How does this routine sound?

1. Cleanse/tone
2.Vit C SR
3. Face oil
4. Spot treatment
5. Pearl Creme
6. SS
7. Foundation/ Concealer
That sounds right to me!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Embarassed Think I used half the sample! Off to wash face..again...
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

You know, Carrie, it never occurred to me to be so specific about the amount to use! Laughing I mean talk about a "duh" moment! My friend kept saying it turned her face completely white ... and that she had to wet her face to get it off.

This sounded very odd to me ... so I went over to her place and asked her to show me how much she was using ... Confused ... she was "slathering" it on!

She very rightly pointed out that nowhere did I say "use a tiny amount" ... and it was she who came up with the "pea sized" as a reference ... because I couldn't think of anything but "a smidge"! Laughing

I explained that it never occurred to me. I always use just "a smidge" ... and I assumed that she would as well. Laughing Rolling Eyes I'm so used to using one drop of oil ... or one drop of serum ... that I just naturally use a teeny-tiny bit of my Pearl Paste!

It just goes to show you that you really do have to be specific!

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Quote:

You know, Carrie, it never occurred to me to be so specific about the amount to use! Laughing I mean talk about a "duh" moment! My friend kept saying it turned her face completely white ... and that she had to wet her face to get it off.

The same thing happened when I was telling members how to use the pre-color hot oil/protein treatment before coloring their hair. It never occured to me to provide specific instructions on how much to use and how to apply it until someone confessed she was pouring 1/4 cup of oil over her head and it was dripping and running everywhere and couldn't understand how come I didn't mention how messy it was!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarifications to both Mary and Carrie! I will try them later on.

Perhaps I am just using too much, and I never thought to rub between my hands to warm it up first *duh!* I just used enough to make it spread properly and that was probably way too much!

For me it doesn't ball off unless I rub it or scratch it and it's ok if I put something on top of it afterwards so I think it's just a residue problem.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:15 am      Reply with quote
While I do get the "balling" that sormuimui does, I can tell you that I switched the order of application. I now do my antioxidant spray, then pearl creme, then my acne spot treatment, after that I put on my Decleor. I just started this yesterday and already this morning my face is FINALLY starting to clear of these small pimples on my cheeks I've had (still adjusting from traveling).

I think it made the difference! If I get pearl creme appearing when I apply my oil, I just massage it a little longer and it disappears.

Cool beans!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi ParisTroika,

I've said it before ... and I'll say it again ... Pearl Paste was designed to be next to your skin. Very Happy

In other words ... it should be

1. cleanse/tone
2. pearl paste
3. anything else

I think your antioxidant spray is OK prior to pearl paste because it dampens the face and doesn't "add a layer" ... but the pearl paste was designed to be right next to your skin ... otherwise the "skin available" elements of the Pearl Paste don't have a chance to get absorbed.

Now Carrie's version might be different ... but for the pearl powder in it to "do its thing" it needs to be smack up against the skin.

And remember ... tweensy bits are enough to cover a damp face and neck! Laughing

One of the reasons I called my original version "Pearl Paste" was because it's not a cream ... however much it looks like one. It doesn't act like a cream and you don't use it as a cream ... it's more of a treatment with moisturizing aspects. Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi ParisTroika,

I've said it before ... and I'll say it again ... Pearl Paste was designed to be next to your skin. Very Happy

In other words ... it should be

1. cleanse/tone
2. pearl paste
3. anything else

I think your antioxidant spray is OK prior to pearl paste because it dampens the face and doesn't "add a layer" ... but the pearl paste was designed to be right next to your skin ... otherwise the "skin available" elements of the Pearl Paste don't have a chance to get absorbed.

Now Carrie's version might be different ... but for the pearl powder in it to "do its thing" it needs to be smack up against the skin.

And remember ... tweensy bits are enough to cover a damp face and neck! Laughing

One of the reasons I called my original version "Pearl Paste" was because it's not a cream ... however much it looks like one. It doesn't act like a cream and you don't use it as a cream ... it's more of a treatment with moisturizing aspects. Laughing

Mary

Oy...does that mean before the holy C serum as well? Embarassed Looks like I've been using my sample all wrong. Also, what are the benefits to those with no pimple issues but more of the firmness/humunga pore issues. I don't seem to be getting any balling up problems though. Thanks
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |