Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rave: homemade “Pearl Paste” + Hpjrt's Recipes

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
MarkeyGoW
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
mine too. it does taste good but it think it was just the rock sugar that was good, i don't think bird's nest by itself has any flavor. i won't eat bird's nest anymore since reading a special in national geographic. the baby birds are just thrown out of their nests, naked and all!

Oh my gosh, that is beyond sad...

and Hi Kristen!

Markey Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Markey! wave

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I just caught up on this post and was glad to see that more info had been posted. I definitly want to try the pearl paste for my face. Thanks for all of these wonderful post.
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
OK bird's nests aside (eating bird's nest? never heard of it!!), has anyone had any experience of breaking out from pearl cream? From everything I've read on this thread, the answer seems to be no, on the contrary, it helps conteract breakouts. But I've been breaking out way more than usual and only since I started using a sample of the pearl cream.

Now I'm not immediately going to point my finger at it, but I have to suspect it because it's the only new thing I've added and the breakouts started at the same time. Adding the pearl cream to my agenda, it may be that the layering is getting a bit heavy and my pores are getting blocked. Or could just be that I'm one of those rare birds (without a nest) that has some kind of reaction to it. I'm getting red bumps and pimples. Could be something internal - I was taking lots of ColdFx the past week, has ginseng and who knows what else in it, but I've taken ColdFx before without breakin out. It's not hormonal. Thought I'd ask though, see if anyone else has had any problems with the pearl. Oh I hope that it's not the problem...
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi oriana808,

Did you make this yourself or are you using Carrie's version?

It could be one of the ingredients in the Pearl Cream that, for you, just doesn't work. I know that Carrie puts some other ingredients in her version that weren't in my original recipe. On the other hand, so have I.

You're the first person I've heard of who has had this problem ... but that doesn't mean that it's not a problem for you.

What I'd suggest you do is this.

1. Cleanse and tone your face as usual.
2. Apply the Pearl Cream [very sparingly] only on a few of those blemishes that have surfaced. Don't put it on your entire face ... in this instance, we'll just use it as a "spot treatment".

3. Follow with your usual routine.

Now, it's been my experience that used as a spot treatment, the spot is drastically reduced and/or completely gone overnight. That's what you should look for ... a drastic improvement in the size and inflammation of the spots that you treated.

You could also be reacting to some sort of odd chemical reaction between what you're using regularly and the ingredients of the pearl cream.

Can you tell us a little more about what you're using?

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary, thanks for the tips, appreciate it. I'm using Carekate's Pearl Cream. I applied it again last night and did spot treat two problem blemishes in particular. My skin did not react this time, thankfully! Also used it again this morning but did apply sparingly (didn't read your response until after) and my face has been fine so far. I'm glad - it must have been something else. In fact, my skin was looking better today overall, however the blemishes did not improve much.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again oriana808,

I'm glad that it's nothing in the pearl cream.

You mentioned that you were taking ColdFX ... which suggests to me that you were feeling either that a cold was coming on ... or that you had the beginnings of a cold or the flu.

I don't know about you ... but my skin almost always reacts badly whenever I'm not feeling well. It makes sense ... the skin being our largest organ ... that it reflects what's going on inside.

I'm not sure where you live ... but around here people have been battling various viruses, colds and flu-type things since November. It could be your body flushing out the toxins ...

It could also have something to do with the weather if you are located somewhere like I am ... where winter didn't arrive until late January ... and when it did ... it came with a vengence! Laughing Crying or Very sad

At any rate ... I'm glad that things are looking better today.

As always ... use the Pearl Paste [or in your case the Pearl Cream] very sparingly. It's so highly concentrated ... and so dense with pearl ... that only a very very little amount is necessary.

Good luck

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary - yup exactly the same weather, I'm in Ontario - where are you? My skin has been taking a beating, freezing blasting wind, dry heat, retinol peeling (can't even go there right now), a bad cold, red chapped nose, breakouts - my skin's so dry and it really shows, no matter what I do. Dryness makes me look and feel older (and I'm old enough thank you Crying or Very sad ). That's it, next year I'm investing in a humidifier for my bedroom!

I wonder why the Pearl didn't have much effect on my trouble spots? I think it might have helped my sore, chapped nose heal quicker though. Anyway, I was probably putting too much on initially, for sure!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi oriana808,

I'm in Ontario as well ... S.W. Ontario ... just south of Brantford ... just north-west of Port Dover. Smile Where in Ontario are you?

Even though we've only had a month of real winter this year ... I'm sick to death of it already! Laughing

We have a humidifier in our bedroom ... and an air cleaner ... great investments both of 'em! Laughing

As to why the pearl didn't help your blemishes, I'm surprised ... except that I have noticed that if one is ... um ... picking at or otherwise bothering a given spot, the pearl takes longer to clear that up.

As for the under-the-nose-chaffing ... it's great for that isn't it? I was amazed when I put it under my nose and the next morning you wouldn't have known that I had been blowing my poor little nose for days! Laughing

The pearl works best on those blemishes that are "on the wax" ... or "coming up". It gets rid of those virtually overnight. Once they have developed, it has a bigger job to do! Laughing

Later

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
mine too. it does taste good but it think it was just the rock sugar that was good, i don't think bird's nest by itself has any flavor. i won't eat bird's nest anymore since reading a special in national geographic. the baby birds are just thrown out of their nests, naked and all!

That is so cruel! Crying or Very sad
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh...I have been intentionally ignoring this thread because I am afraid that its another thing to try. I just splurged after reading the thread on SAS SKBio (which i ignored as long as possible too)......Now I just want my own pearl paste Mad

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
OK my update on the Pearl Cream:

I'm falling truly, madly, deeply in love with this stuff with each day of use. These are the changes I've seen in my skin in the past week:

- pores are smaller
- regular flakies that I've been struggling with for the past 2 months are gone
- overall skin dryness is gone and as a result, wrinkles, especially under eyes, look less pronounced. Haven't had to use squalane the past couple of days, just adding a bit of rosehip oil and my skin is happy.
- more even skintone and texture
- and last but not least, my favourite part Very Happy : when I put on makeup my skin looks flawless, like velvety, ultra-suede or something. I am also using Pearl Silk Dust which is contributing. I just keep looking in the mirror and saying "wow, what a difference, what an improvement!".

PS Mary, I'm from downtown TO, less snow, more smog Sad Nice to have some "neighbours" around here Smile
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Oriana, which version are you using? thanks
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi Marina, I'm trying a sample of Carekate's Pearl Cream. Already put in an order for full-size.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 am      Reply with quote
oriana808 wrote:
Hi Marina, I'm trying a sample of Carekate's Pearl Cream. Already put in an order for full-size.

After your review, I'm right behind you. It's just that she has an over-30 version as well so I wondered which one you tested.
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Oh, hmmm I have no idea which one I'm testing. Carekate hasn't responded to my product order request yet but I'll have to specify which one. Do you know what the difference is in formula?
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that the over-30 one is more moisturizing, but have no further details..hoping to contact Carrie...next time she's on EDS.. I'll pm her. Meanwhile, get the one you're getting great results with; I think she sent out samples of the regular one.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Oh my goodness gracious me; I have just gone through this thread in its entirety.

Now I will have to put pearl powder in my next order from GOW. Drool
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:07 am      Reply with quote
oriana808 wrote:
OK bird's nests aside (eating bird's nest? never heard of it!!), has anyone had any experience of breaking out from pearl cream? From everything I've read on this thread, the answer seems to be no, on the contrary, it helps conteract breakouts. But I've been breaking out way more than usual and only since I started using a sample of the pearl cream.

Now I'm not immediately going to point my finger at it, but I have to suspect it because it's the only new thing I've added and the breakouts started at the same time. Adding the pearl cream to my agenda, it may be that the layering is getting a bit heavy and my pores are getting blocked. Or could just be that I'm one of those rare birds (without a nest) that has some kind of reaction to it. I'm getting red bumps and pimples. Could be something internal - I was taking lots of ColdFx the past week, has ginseng and who knows what else in it, but I've taken ColdFx before without breakin out. It's not hormonal. Thought I'd ask though, see if anyone else has had any problems with the pearl. Oh I hope that it's not the problem...

Bird's nest is a bird's saliva..

Definition: Authentic bird's nest soup is made using the nests of the swiftlet, a tiny bird found throughout southeast Asia. Instead of twigs and straw, the swiftlet makes its nest from strands of gummy saliva, which harden when exposed to air. Once the nests are harvested, they are cleaned and sold to restaurants, where they are served simmered in chicken broth.

Authentic bird's nest soup is quite popular throughout Asia, perhaps because it has the reputation of being an aphrodisiac. It is also quite costly; many western restaurants serve a less expensive version consisting of soup with noodles shaped to resemble a bird's nest.
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Bird's nest soup is yummy yummy yummy. Laughing

It is also astronomically expensive. My mother always makes it for me when I visit her. It is sweetened with honey and other yummy dried fruit, and served icy cold.

Dunno about the aphrodisiac bit because I think my mother would have second thoughts about turning her daughter into some raving nymphomaniac. Laughing Laughing

We largely take it because it is supposed to be cooling (anti-inflammatory) and constitutionally fortifying.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Bird's nest soup tastes good not because of any flavor from the bird's nest. It is other stuff that flavors it. It actually reminds me a lot of agar agar and clear tapioca, both which don't have any flavor really until you add something to them.

I remember when my mom used to buy it, she won't anymore since I showed her the pictures of the naked baby birds being thrown on the cave ground to die, she used to soak it to get rid of tiny feathers stuck in the nest.

I feel so very very very guilty for ever having consumed it. I wish i could find the national geographic article on this, and post pictures. It's terrible Crying or Very sad .

also, the type of swifts that produce the saliva nests that are harvested are on the endangered species list.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Bird's nest soup tastes good not because of any flavor from the bird's nest. It is other stuff that flavors it. It actually reminds me a lot of agar agar and clear tapioca, both which don't have any flavor really until you add something to them.

I remember when my mom used to buy it, she won't anymore since I showed her the pictures of the naked baby birds being thrown on the cave ground to die, she used to soak it to get rid of tiny feathers stuck in the nest.

I feel so very very very guilty for ever having consumed it. I wish i could find the national geographic article on this, and post pictures. It's terrible Crying or Very sad .

also, the type of swifts that produce the saliva nests that are harvested are on the endangered species list.

Mmmm.. I got some agar agar mix at home. Going to make some dessert tomorrow! Drool
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
poohlisey, me too! it's plain agar, so i have to add sugar and flavoring. do you ever add flavoring, if so, what do you use? i plan on using my lime and orange essential oils (yes properly extracted for comsumption) for flavoring as I know that can be done but am not sure what percentage is safe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have a box of agar agar in my cupboard, and NO idea what to do with it..

please share recipes!

( oops. apologies for being so OT Cool )
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
LOL catski. I haven't been very creative, but a couple times, i mixed some milk coffee in with a dish of (sweetened with sugar) agar (i wait til it sets a little to create pretty clouds and swirls), and also plain milk, and one time i used lemon flavoring. I would love to hear more ideas though Smile.

I like eating agar, it feels healthy and is not made from boiled bones (JELLO, gross).

Kristen

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

DeVita Perfecting Time (75 ml / 2.5 oz) Payot Techni Liss First First Wrinkles Smoothing Care (50 ml / 1.6 floz) Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Probiotics Youth Activating Beauty Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)