Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Zeno vs. Proactive vs. Derma Wand
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone try all? Thoughts?

I know Zeno is more expensive than DermaWand. Is Zeno more effective than Proactive?
radiantface
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Proactiv did nothing for me. I haven't tried Zeno. I just bought Derma Wand (C$99) through London Drugs thanks to rufus' (forum user) suggestion. It was a fraction of what was advertised on TV. The TV promotion included a 'bonus' facial brush and a bottle of lotion -things that I am not interested in using/or trying.

I will keep the Forum informed about Derma Wand 12 weeks after I start using it.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Proactiv didn't work for me either. I haven't tried the Derma Wand or the Zeno.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Oxylight (Dermawand, I think, makes this, too) and use it for when I have a breakout. I usually put my serum of choice on the breakout spot and then after it absorbs, use my Oxylight for 30 seconds as far off the skin as possible while still maintaining connectivity. I focus on the spot and circle around it during the 30 seconds.

This really works well and the next morning, the spot is normally almost gone. Cystic jaw acne, though rare, might take a day more to minimize but the little ones (thanks to skincare routine and emu oil), also pretty rare now, are gone the next day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Proactiv worked for me for about two months, and then it was back to same old break-out routine. It seemed as though my skin built up a tolerance to the product, and after those first two months, it just didn't work....
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:38 am      Reply with quote
radiantface wrote:
Proactiv did nothing for me. I haven't tried Zeno. I just bought Derma Wand (C$99) through London Drugs thanks to rufus' (forum user) suggestion. It was a fraction of what was advertised on TV. The TV promotion included a 'bonus' facial brush and a bottle of lotion -things that I am not interested in using/or trying.

I will keep the Forum informed about Derma Wand 12 weeks after I start using it.

Yes, please keep us posted cause I've never used the Dermawand but have heard it's a decent product.
jeanni
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone had success with Zeno?
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I bought a Zeno about a year ago and I haven't used it very much, which is probably a good sign that I haven't been getting large pimples. I did use it on a few cysts along my jaw line and Zeno worked very well at "deflating" them. I cannot, however, use Zeno on smaller pimples because it will literally burn my skin off. I have very sensitive skin though, so most people may not experience the say problem. Overall, I think Zeno works well on larger, inflamed pimples but not on the smaller pimples that are visible, but not quite ready to be extracted.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I have a Zeno.

Honestly I haven't used it correctly to see if it works or not. I always use it once and get annoyed if the spot is still there and don't try and use it twice. It says that most pimples take two uses to go away.

It doesn't work on blackheads, or whiteheads! Just the red hurty ones. I rarely break out as it is but it's even rarer still that I get the right kind of spot for Zeno.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
That helps...I barely ever get the large red enflamed pimples, but mostly whiteheads that get irritated by extractions (or attempted extractions Rolling Eyes )

Doesn't sound like something I need. I can't believe I just said that!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am tempted to buy the Zeno device- when I break out- its usually a big "honker".
And it is very embarassing as I will get 3 or 4 or these a month and the rest of my skin is clear so the "honker" gets everyone's attention.

I don't know if I want to spend so much $$$ on it though. Does anyone know if this device works on acne on other parts of the body as well- I break out on my back once in a while.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have Zeno, but as others, had rarely used it. It did help a little with big ugly bumps, but nothing spectacular. Then it stoped working at all, so I just gave up.

High frequency machines are routinely used by aestheticians in Europe after a facial, and they do work (Oxylight is one of them, so is Dermawand). You just have to be careful if you have broken cappilaries as it can cause worsening, or if you have facial hair - it stimulates hair growth.

HTH,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Everytime I have a huge breakout (which I have right now) I go back to Proactive and it clears it up. I cant use it for a long time b/c it dries me out. I have been on the quest to find something more "natural" to treat my acne but nothing seems to work. I try different lines until I'm ready to scream and have a face full of zits then I go back to proactive. Right now I'm using Proactive and then Cetephil moisturizer with 2 drops of Aveda SA. It is clearing my face up really fast. I hate the thought of using really harsh chemicals on my face but if I dont then I look like a pizza face and I'm 30!!! Not 13!!! Ugh...its such an annoying problem to have. Let me know what you chose...I would love to know what you find that works.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Olivia,

My problem is that I don't have frequent breakouts - mostly hormonal. The problem though, is that when it happens ... I just don't know what to do.

I probably would've ordered Proactive before, but I hate the auto shipments (don't know if they still do that). And I always think to order too late, i.e., when I have the breakout.

I already use so many potions so a mechanical device sounds interesting. But Zeno is not sounding too good either.

At least I did have the forethought to order Carekate's Bump Blasting Serum if something pops up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
You may want to try the SA oil from Aveda. I like it because depending on my breakout I can add a couple of drops to a mask or cleanser or to my moistuizer. I also put it directly on zits to help them heal faster. Its a very verstile product. Proactive works for me if I already have a breakout (helps heal faster) but SA prevents them. Its not too expensing and I have had to for a long time.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, does it contain Tea Tree Oil? It sounds similar to the Carekate product. I don't know if Carekate's Bump Serum has TTO but I know it has a bunch of essential oils. It definitely helps things heal faster, I wonder if I can use a few drops in a moisturizer. Great idea, thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia,
You sound like you have the EXACT same skin as me! I'm 30 as well, and would have thought that by now I wouldn't be worrying about acne- not the case. In the last 4 months I have probably spent about $500 just on acne products. I did go back to Proactive like you, and I have the same problem- I use it too long and my skin is way too dry. There is this acne lotion that I found at London Drugs a few years ago called BenOxyl 5- it worked wonders, and then they stopped carrying it. I found it again at Shopper's Drug Mart last night and used it again- it has double the benzol peroxide concentration than Proactive. I used it last night and I can see a difference already- not huge difference yet but the pimple have decreased in size. I also use the VICHY Normaderm Toner (astringent)- I don't like the Proactive one. But I was really interested in trying the Aveda SA that you wrote about- what concentration of SA is in it??
Has anyone tried the Aspirin mask? I was going to last night since i have heard so many good things about it- actually thats the reason I went to SHopper's drug mart- to buy the aspirin- but I got too excited when I saw the Benoxyl 5 that I forgot!
Laughing
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia,
You sound like you have the EXACT same skin as me! I'm 30 as well, and would have thought that by now I wouldn't be worrying about acne- not the case. In the last 4 months I have probably spent about $500 just on acne products. I did go back to Proactive like you, and I have the same problem- I use it too long and my skin is way too dry. There is this acne lotion that I found at London Drugs a few years ago called BenOxyl 5- it worked wonders, and then they stopped carrying it. I found it again at Shopper's Drug Mart last night and used it again- it has double the benzol peroxide concentration than Proactive. I used it last night and I can see a difference already- not huge difference yet but the pimple have decreased in size. I also use the VICHY Normaderm Toner (astringent)- I don't like the Proactive one. But I was really interested in trying the Aveda SA that you wrote about- what concentration of SA is in it??
Has anyone tried the Aspirin mask? I was going to last night since i have heard so many good things about it- actually thats the reason I went to SHopper's drug mart- to buy the aspirin- but I got too excited when I saw the Benoxyl 5 that I forgot!
Laughing
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
I believe it is a 2% SA solution. There is no tea tree oil in it...just jojoba and SA. I'm going to look for your acne product tonight at CVS...they also have vichy so I'll check them both out. Thanks for the recommendation. I have spent at least $500 on acne medications then I freak out because there are too many chemicals on my face so I'll go back to something natural which always breaks meo out then I'm back to the chemicals. Is an insane cycle.

http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10554&PRODUCT_ID=PROD6144
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I've done the aspirin mask but never get the texture right.

Carekate's Super Sonic Mask has aspirin and her Bump Serum is a cheaper alternative to Yonka Emulsion (essential oils for clearing acne).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Olivia, you and I are one and the same! I go through the exact same cycles as you, then feel guilty for spending so much $$ on just acne products!!!
I will try the aveda SA you reccommended- I like your idea of adding it to your moisturizer or mask.

Rjez- how do you like Carekate's supersonic mask and bump serum? How expensive are these?
I'm going to give the aspirin mask a shot- I am going to grind up the aspirin first (2-3 tabs) and then dissolve in vitamin E gel- this gel is mostly water and no oil and I am hoping it will prevent the overdrying of my skin.
I know in other posts CareKate has mentioned that you can add sugar (for Glycolic acid) or milk or yogurt (for lactic acid). I hear some people add a bit of lime juice too for alphahydroxy acid. I'm going to keep it simple and let you all know how it worked.
I think I am also going to go out and try to find the dermawand at London Drugs tonite- and remember to buy the aspirin.

It so nice to know that there are other women in the world just like me! My husband thinks I'm crazy and the only woman in the world who has so many skincare products!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
Oh Olivia, you and I are one and the same! I go through the exact same cycles as you, then feel guilty for spending so much $$ on just acne products!!!
I will try the aveda SA you reccommended- I like your idea of adding it to your moisturizer or mask.

Rjez- how do you like Carekate's supersonic mask and bump serum? How expensive are these?
I'm going to give the aspirin mask a shot- I am going to grind up the aspirin first (2-3 tabs) and then dissolve in vitamin E gel- this gel is mostly water and no oil and I am hoping it will prevent the overdrying of my skin.
I know in other posts CareKate has mentioned that you can add sugar (for Glycolic acid) or milk or yogurt (for lactic acid). I hear some people add a bit of lime juice too for alphahydroxy acid. I'm going to keep it simple and let you all know how it worked.
I think I am also going to go out and try to find the dermawand at London Drugs tonite- and remember to buy the aspirin.

It so nice to know that there are other women in the world just like me! My husband thinks I'm crazy and the only woman in the world who has so many skincare products!

I haven't rely demo'd Carekate's Super Sonic Mask yet - but others have and really like it. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18229

You can also check out the DIY thread for tips:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Carekate's bump serum (also in the DIY) was less than $15 and is at least an ounce or two (dunno my sizes well).

PM Carekate for more info on her products and DIY tips.

p.s. Hubby just walked into the office, saw my screen, sighed in exasperation and asked "MORE skin products?"

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

My son gets the aweful huge inflamed acne and Ice Elements has really helped him out a lot. I feel that 2 of the main products are the 2 minute miracle gel and the acne serum.

Exfoliation is really important in the fight against acne, however it is like a dance as anything that is too harsh or stripping can actually add to the problem... The 2mm contains hydropol, a pharmacuetical grade of aloe that helps in reducing redness and inflamation.

The acne serum contains no BP, which is what is most likely giving your skin a hard time in ProActiv. It is very harsh on the skin and is very drying... this is why some get results early on and then their acne comes back with a vengeance because their skin is knocked out of balance and the acne comes back for a different reason...

Salycic acid is a much better bet... also glycolics. Even then it can be overdone. If one product with salycic acid in it is good, 2 is not necessarily better.... It really depends on the needs of the individual.

It took a long time and many products to finally get something that worked and kept working for my teen son... and even then his skin is not 100% clear, but it is very close... before his forehead was completely red and inflamed with blemishes on top of blemishes, then sporatic break outs in other areas... It was sooo bad for his self esteem... and I am just so greatful to all the help that Brenda, the Esthetician at Ice Elements, gave us that I try to spread the news around so that others can hopefully have the same positive experience with their skin.

I also considered the Zeno or Oxylight, but when I thought about it, the time that it would take for him to treat his face, he would never be able to keep up with that... and it would end up in a drawer or under the bed...

Good luck and take care.
Bosoxy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:

i usually just dissolve the aspirin with drops of hot water in my hand. then i add honey and some creme fraiche (substitute plain yogurt or sour cream if you don't have this) and it really helps keep your skin from drying out. better yet, it doesn't taste nearly as nasty as if you use it near (or slightly on) your lips. al in all, i'd use the vitamin E gel *after* the mask rather than in it.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Proactiv worked really well for my sister's adult acne - it's almost a year later and she's still clear.

I've only tried the Dermawand. It does work - and I knew this before buying because whenever I have a facial, my esthetician always uses a high frequency wand, and I've come in to the facials with a large cystic acne on my face several times already. She would use the high frequency wand all over my face, but concentrate on the cystic acne - I swear in a day they shrink to nothing. Of course the Dermawand isn't as powerful. It does help with cystic acne on the face (takes a day or two but they heal up and shrink), but I find it's almost impossible when you are working with jawline cystic acne.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |