Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Please - Ideas for BF's Mom for Xmas
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking I should get something for my bf's mother for christmas. We've been going out for 2.5 years. We don't see each other much but I want to be thoughtful (and maybe suck up a little Rolling Eyes ) She is I assume somewhere between 55-60 (though I'm pretty sure she's not 60 yet), maybe 57 or 58. I have no clue what her skin concerns are but I want to get something more thoughful than the usual "crabtree and evelyn" or "l'occitane" stuff but I will resort to those if I can't think of anything. I was also thinking of a nice scarf, but then she might already have enough.

So please give me any ideas! Oh and my maximum budget is $50!

Thanks!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:45 am      Reply with quote
lol! Ditto to everything above. Love holidays but hate the stressful boyfriend's mom gift dilemma.
I am soooo tired of going the crabtree and evelyn route. Good luck to us Rolling Eyes
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I'm thinking I should get something for my bf's mother for christmas. We've been going out for 2.5 years. We don't see each other much but I want to be thoughtful (and maybe suck up a little Rolling Eyes ) She is I assume somewhere between 55-60 (though I'm pretty sure she's not 60 yet), maybe 57 or 58. I have no clue what her skin concerns are but I want to get something more thoughful than the usual "crabtree and evelyn" or "l'occitane" stuff but I will resort to those if I can't think of anything. I was also thinking of a nice scarf, but then she might already have enough.

So please give me any ideas! Oh and my maximum budget is $50!

Thanks!

I am your bf's mothers age. Skin care items can be tricky unless you know what she likes. If you know scents she likes you can always give her a gift basket of bath products. A few months ago I had Candy atwww.candessence.com make me a basket for my daughter. The basket was gorgeous and I got much more for the $$$$$ buying from Candy. She delivered it direct to my daughter. Candy was great with suggestions and tried to get to know my daughter (through me) to make the basket very personal. If your BF's mom likes scented candles Candy's are awesome (burn clean, outstanding scent throw).

If you really want to "suck up" you could always try a basket of baked breads and Christmas cookies. Nothing impresses a guys Mom as much as a woman who can cook for her son. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I would have to agree that skincare products can be tricky. I'm thinking what I should get the b/f's mother also. We'll be going out 2 years in Dec too, she makes it easy as I swear I'll be her in 30+ years. I can always just get her jewelry from Nordstrom or some crystal items from Swarovski which she seems to love.

Do you know what she may like to collect, hobbies or anything that might tip you off a tad?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:23 am      Reply with quote
What about a nice coffee table book? I also go with Crabtree and Evelyn hand creams. Recently I gave a wool shawl. Good luck and long live C&E!
lulumylovely
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I think a really nice orchid plant is always nice.
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
A lovely basket of some good coffees or teas might be a nice idea. (maybe with a few cookies or even some nice cups, etc.)

Or even a pretty pottery serving dish is a nice present. It's something that people can use for parties or for guests and it doesn't have to necessarily match with their dishes and such.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:

If you really want to "suck up" you could always try a basket of baked breads and Christmas cookies. Nothing impresses a guys Mom as much as a woman who can cook for her son. Laughing Laughing Laughing

ohhh man...I can't cook at all! Embarassed I think if my bf and I ever move in together he'll be the one who'll be in the kitchen Laughing But his mom was never the SAHM type either as she helps her husband with his business. I want to get her something she can use rather than decorative type gifts. I guess body products are the way to go. I actually really want to get the L'occitane hand cream set from Sephora but it's a US exclusive and when I tried to check out it's "Canada restricted" Sad

Anyways, here were some of my thoughts:
scarf/shawl
silk scarf (I know she uses them in the warmer months)
gift basket of nice Chinese tea + some teacups, etc - I like the pottery idea!
gift basket from L'Occitane

Thanks for all your replies! keep em' coming! Very Happy
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Sormuimui, do you know what her hobbies are? My bf's mom loves doing chinese calligraphy so I got her a set of brushes (handpainted handles, beautiful box and all) last year and she loved it. Getting her gifts that are an extension of what she enjoys doing will seem thoughtful and is great for "sucking-up"! Laughing Who knows she could be your future mother-in-law. HTH!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird: I'm not sure she has any hobbies. Her day is pretty simple - morning get up go to work w/husband (they have a little business going on), come back home in the evening, watch tv, eat dinner, do miscellaneous things around the house, sleep. They mainly like to buy japanese/korean tv series to watch and spend their extra time relaxing that way, but I find it's difficult to figure out what type they would ENJOY watching and what they haven't seen yet. On weekends they'd go out do a little shopping and go to Church on Sundays. So I'm definitely unsure of what hobbies they have.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Sormuimui, my SO's parents are relatively hobby-less like you've described and I think I just realized something that I can do. We have a pretty reputable art museum in the area, and for $25 you can get an annual pass, so think I am going to ge them each one. We also have a Japenese Garden with annual passes as well which is also an option i'm looking into, so if you have other similar museums/gardens this may be an option for you too. Good luck Smile
lulumylovely
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
hmm sounds like a hardworking woman, what about one of those aromatic (lavender) buckwheat pillows that you place in the microwave to heat and place on your shoulders? I'm surprised they don't play golf Wink

or a beehouse teapot and some nice teas

http://www.theteasmith.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTS&Product_Code=BBN03EPL&Category_Code=TEAPOT

this is nice because it is for two, if you select some nice green teas it will show your concern for thier health and longevity, also it is for both mom and pop.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I guess body products are the way to go. I actually really want to get the L'occitane hand cream set from Sephora but it's a US exclusive and when I tried to check out it's "Canada restricted" Sad

You should check out http://www.loccitane.ca. L'Occitane also has stores in Canada (including BC).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!

lulumylovely: the pillow sounds like a great idea - will look into that! Or if not you made me think of little massagers that I can always look into.

Yen: I checked, they don't have it and their gifts sets are on the expensive side. However I might consider this full size shea hand + foot cream set which looks good, especially when I'm wary of getting scents she won't like. Thanks anyway!
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought about those repeating monthly gifts? Like the monthly fruit, cheesecake, or popcorn deals?

I know they also do ones for plants that can be transplanted into your yard. I almost got that for my grandmother. I think it was thru FTD, but I can't remember off hand now. I liked that I didn't have to buy every month, just the ones I wanted.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've never heard of monthly gifts, wow, I'm such an alien! Shock I ended up buying the L'occitane 2 soap + aromatherapy pouch set (soaps in Milk and Lavendar, Verbana pouch). Going to add something else in - maybe a hand cream? My bf helped pick it out, I wanted to get bath soaks or a nice relaxing fragrance but he kept saying "my mom doesn't use this" so I thought - hell everyone needs to use SOAP! Then my bf was saying that I should just forget it and spend more on his present instead Rolling Eyes

Ok so now I need a "stocking stuffer"
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Speaking of hand cream, I just ordered Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream from EDS as SO's mother's stocking-stuffer. "With a voluptuous fresh sweet orange fragrance softened by almond powder and a drop of rosewater," it sounds like it will smell sooo good. The packaging is cute too.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/caudalie-hand-and-nail-cr-p_6323.htm
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to get that for myself dollbird! Please update us if it's good or not. I'm lemming the new Caudalie products (too bad EDS doesn't have the body travel set) but want to hear good things about them first.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Heheh I ordered one for myself too! You should get it!! How wrong could you get with hand cream anyway Laughing I have to wait another week for it because it's out of stock at EDS. Sad Will let you know!!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm getting my Bf's mom and dad a bottle of top shelf vodka for Xmas. You can't go wrong with booze. Do they like wine? A bottle of good wine is a nice gift.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I'm getting my Bf's mom and dad a bottle of top shelf vodka for Xmas. You can't go wrong with booze. Do they like wine? A bottle of good wine is a nice gift.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately my bf was just telling me the other day that his dad isn't the type to drink wine, etc etc. That's why I'm focusing on the mom, it's easier because she's a woman. They invited me to a dinner party on Dec 23, good thing I have a gift prepared.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:51 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Ok so now I need a "stocking stuffer"

Does she wear glasses? I swear I found the HG of emergency gift ideas at Lens Crafters, of all places.... It's a little black case (padded faux Channel style) that holds a decorative travel size eye cleaner spray and a cleaning cloth with a lovely pattern (resembles a tiny silk scarf). They're having a three for two special on all their accessories, including some very cool chains for folks who are far sighted or only wear glasses to read.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Sormuimui, the Caudalie hand cream arrived. Compared to my favourite L'occitane shea butter hand cream, Caudalie's consistency is a little bit lighter, so not as moisturising, but it smells HEAVENLY. It still does a good job making my hands soft and smooth. It's not greasy and sinks right in. The smell is such a great pick-me-up though...such a treat to use.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks dollbird! Can you describe the smell in a bit more detail?
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm...the scent is hard to describe, but what stands out the most is a refreshing blend of orange and grapes. Highly addictive because it keeps my hands so soft, especially in this retardedly cold Vancouver weather.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |