Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Maybe THIS is the cause of certain types of HAIR LOSS?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:47 am      Reply with quote
One of the girls on the board mentioned shampoos and conditioners from the Morrocco Method, so of course I trotted over to find out about them. I found this interesting article concerning hair loss, part of it (2 paragraphs) is included below, as well as a link to the article.

If you can read through even the first paragraph without starting to scratch all over, you're a better woman than me! If you can get through the entire article without wanting to boil your entire self in a vat of hot oil, well then, let me buy you a drink! Very Happy

Demodex Folliculorum, also know as Demodicids, are a species of tiny mite that some researchers have recently identified as a profound contributor to hair loss. While we believe that there are other factors affecting those with hair loss, such as diet, genetics, and chemical laden hair care products, many researchers attribute this microscopic critter with much more than just a small role in the plight of hair loss. Demodex has also been called “face mite” as it has been commonly associated with various skin complications of the face, such as Acne Rosacea, blackheads, and other skin irritations.

Varying in size from .1mm to .4 mm long, it lives in your pores and hair follicles, typically on your scalp, cheeks, nose, eyebrows and often in the roots of your eyelashes. Demodicids have worm-like attributes, with tiny claws, and scales over the whole of its body so that it may better anchor itself in the hair follicle. An individual female may lay up to 25 eggs in a single follicle, and as the mites grow, they become tightly packed. When mature, the mites leave the follicle, mate, and lays more eggs. During the day, Demodex mites remain feeding within the follicle. At night, they emerge onto the surface to mate, and eggs are laid into follicles so that the newly hatched larvae may feed on sebaceous oils.

So nice to know there might be an orgy going on in my scalp! Aaacck!

See link for rest of article.

Source: http://www.jashbotanicals.com/articles/demodex_folliculorum.html
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Shock That is so disgusting!!!
Fortunately, while googling, a few sights i found indicated tea tree oil kills these buggers. So gross!
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:09 am      Reply with quote
that is grosss...

how can i get rid of these buggers...??!!!

5% products discount

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Disgusting! from checking around it seems that a large percentage of people have them - especially around the eyelashes - YUCK
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
So nice to know there might be an orgy going on in my scalp! Aaacck!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I was reallllly grossed out when I first learned of these. But, then it was pointed out to me that the problems are only when there are an abundance of them. Seems if we humans didn't have this sort of parasite (and we evidently have alllll kinds) sebum and dead skin would just pile up all around us.

Still, the idea freaks me out and DO use Tea Tree Oil.

Ari
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
That just makes my day.. Mites are having a better time in my bed than I am...

I'm totally grossed out now. Thanks MermaidGirl Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
LMAOOOOO @ mites are having a better time in my bed than I am Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm Kiki wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry Kiki! I knew it'd be gross, but I thought I'd better let you all know what I found it; you know "for the greater good" and all!
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
I'm Kiki wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry Kiki! I knew it'd be gross, but I thought I'd better let you all know what I found it; you know "for the greater good" and all!

Yeah, no kidding Kiki!!! Yuck! I feel the same way. Doesn't tea tree oil cause some skin to dry out though..or is that witch hazel....? Embarassed
I don't even want to hear about anything else that could be crawling around me while I'm typing this!!! Not talking
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:38 am      Reply with quote
has anyone ever hennaed their hair? it kills everything and leaves me with amazing color.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Is there a colorless henna, or a henna that is safe to use with traditional hair color?
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
[quote="I'm Kiki"]That just makes my day.. Mites are having a better time in my bed than I am...

Until I got to Kiki's entry, I was just itching all over my head. Now, I am laughing like a loon and itching all over.

Do you all think adding a couple of drops of tea tree oil to an ounce of shampoo would work, or does anyone know about a shampoo that already has sufficient tea tree oil in it? Also, would diluted tea tree oil be safe around the eyes? I'm creeped out that they may be colonizing in my eyelashes, too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Anyone have any idea of the visuals I had when I went to bed? I swear I could hear the romantic music playing while they were working their mojo to, well you know...

And I haven't stopped itching! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm Kiki wrote:
Anyone have any idea of the visuals I had when I went to bed? I swear I could hear the romantic music playing while they were working their mojo to, well you know...

And I haven't stopped itching! Laughing

rofl Kiki.

And right after reading it, I too began itching and scratching. Doubt It's amazing what the mind can have you believe.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
i'm a little scared to use tea tree oil on my scalp as i find essential oils clog the pores in my scalp. Do you think tea tree oil would be the exception?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
OMG MermaidGirl (AKA Stephan-ie King) -- Is this another one of your scary tales??? I can hardly type for scatching myself. This is as creepy and spine-tingling as your ghost stories were.

Hi pele - I use tea tree oil on my handicapped brother's scalp (he has cerebral palsy and suffers from seborrheic dermatitis). I started using it after reading about TTO on the forum, and when I read that it has anti-fungal properties (seborrhea is thought by some to be fungal in nature), I decided to give it a go since nothing Rx or OTC had been very effective so far. It really helps, but doesn't solve the problem entirely. It can be irritating so I'd do a patch test first if you're worried about your pores. And if you're sensitive to scent, be warned that it has a strong, piney odor.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
OMG MermaidGirl (AKA Stephan-ie King) -- Is this another one of your scary tales??? I can hardly type for scatching myself. This is as creepy and spine-tingling as your ghost stories were. ...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing Stephan-ie King! - love it! That is so funny!

Nope, sorry m.april - not another one of my spine-tinglers! Bugs creep me out big time! (Even moreso than ghosts, if you can believe that!) I know, everytime I even THINK about those critters, I start scratching. You should go to the link and see their pictures - the stuff of nightmares!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |