Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you do Facial Exercises?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi youngmma,

My book doesn't have separate facial massage, but the exercises involve challenging the skin
which is the point of massage.

mpstat, you are so good to tell people where to get my book. (((hug))) for this and for all your patient info.

younggma wrote:
Thanks for the reply, mstat, I recently bought a facial exercise program that doesn't include much about facial massage. In reading posts on this site, it seems like massage is important, as well as exercise. So, I'm curious if LouLou's program gives any details on facial massage or is it just a facial exercise program Question

I've really enjoyed reading this forum the past several years and finally decided to join. Thanks . . .
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
bethany wrote:
I currently own the Facial Flex (works the lower face) which I love, and FlexEffect (probably the most comprehensive, but too time-consuming for me since I took the Job From Hell). I just ordered the Flex Effect and LouLou's book called "Ageless if You dare" which requires FAR less time than FlexEffect.

I'll weigh in on all of them after they are all in my possession. Very Happy

OOOOHHH! Can't wait to hear about Lou Lou's book.
Thanks.

Yeah, me too! Laughing

Louise, is that really you in the picture? You look thirty or forty years younger Shock

Hey, thanks, Fox Very Happy

Do you mean the pic on the FE site or the one on the cover of the book? Either way, yes it's me. I do look young in the FE picture, perhaps it's my expression, but it was just a snap taken with a digi camera, not professionally lit or anything. Not professional in any way, in fact, as you've probably noticed Laughing

The pic on the front of my book was taken outside by my friend's brother, Sean Martin. I thought it was a fair comparison with the 'before' pic as I'm in a similar position and not posing for it

In real life I don't look so young as on the FE pic, although it's true to life in that I really don't have wrinkles unless I smile and don't think anything is sagging either.

A lot of what makes me look so old on the before pic is the listless way I'm holding my face. My jaw's down and forward and my cheeks are slack... I just accepted my face had changed, but once I started training it I remembered how it felt when I was young like you Very Happy . One thing you keep getting told when you're getting older is that you look tired, and that's because the face drops in the same way as when you feel you want to flop.

LL Cool
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
(see otherloulou's post above)
Yes Louis that is such a good point re: holding your face in a slack position. I think the exercise programs give us a sense of muscle awareness and teach us to carry ourselves in a more flattering way. I know that holding the head up and chin in rather than slouching and slumping the shoulders forward makes a big difference in the way I look and feel. When we look old depressed and sad others perceive us as such. Thanks for your informative posts!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
This is really good stuff we've got going here Girls! And Sean!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
otherloulou, thanks for the reassurance. It's just that I noticed when I smile, the lines around my mouth deepen and I'm afraid to smile big or laugh sometimes Embarassed
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I currently own the Facial Flex (works the lower face) which I love, and FlexEffect (probably the most comprehensive, but too time-consuming for me since I took the Job From Hell). I just ordered the Flex Away and LouLou's book called "Ageless if You dare" which requires FAR less time than FlexEffect.

I'll weigh in on all of them after they are all in my possession. Very Happy

Sooo....here is an update on the facial exercise "tools" I purchased.

Flex Away - This was sheer HELL for me to use, once I figured it all out. This is definitely not a good fit for small mouths, and I will be sending it back. It was $39, but then you had to buy extra rubber bands ($10), etc. It supposedly works more muscles than the Facial Flex below, but it was SO unpleasant for me to use, that I would never actually use it!

Manufacturer's website:
http://www.flexawaysystem.com/

Facial Flex - This is relatively small and very easy to use...especially if you have a have small mouth. There are 3 levels of rubber band strengths, and you change them every week. They recommend that you use it 2x a day, for about 2 mins at a time. I paid $32 for the complete set (dvd, face cream, replacement bands, etc. on ebay) and will continue to use this, since I saw some improvement within 2 weeks of using. But since I also want to work my upper face, I am going to pair it with some additional exercises from "Ageless If You Dare" or "FlexEffect."

Manufacturer's website:
http://facialconcepts.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

Both look like torture instruments. I spent some years with braces for my teeth when I was a teenager. I don't think I'll be investing in those any time soon. Brings back bad memories.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Both look like torture instruments. I spent some years with braces for my teeth when I was a teenager. I don't think I'll be investing in those any time soon. Brings back bad memories.

Actually, the Facial Flex is SUPER easy to use...no torture at all! I am going to rotate usage of it with one of the other programs, like every other day or something.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback on the two devices. OK I might consider the Facial Flex some time then.
chickenlittle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Flex Away - This was sheer HELL for me to use, once I figured it all out. This is definitely not a good fit for small mouths, and I will be sending it back. It was $39, but then you had to buy extra rubber bands ($10), etc. It supposedly works more muscles than the Facial Flex below, but it was SO unpleasant for me to use, that I would never actually use it!

Manufacturer's website:
http://www.flexawaysystem.com/

Hey Bethany, I'd like to hear if you have any success getting your money back. The Flex Away also didn't work for me, it was creating strong nose to mouth lines. I sent it back and Beverly said she received it and was going to refund me, but she hasn't answered my last 2 emails enquiring about the refund ... Confused
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
chickenlittle wrote:
Hey Bethany, I'd like to hear if you have any success getting your money back. The Flex Away also didn't work for me, it was creating strong nose to mouth lines. I sent it back and Beverly said she received it and was going to refund me, but she hasn't answered my last 2 emails enquiring about the refund ... Confused

I'll keep you posted!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Rolling Eyes

LOL! I thought the same thing, mlrox! I wore braces, as well!
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany,
What improvements have you seen with the Facial Flex?. I have quite pronounced marionette lines - do you think that it would help with that or make them worse. Also, what about using the device if you've had fillers used in the nasal labial folds?. TIA, Doodles
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
doodles wrote:
Hi Bethany,
What improvements have you seen with the Facial Flex?. I have quite pronounced marionette lines - do you think that it would help with that or make them worse. Also, what about using the device if you've had fillers used in the nasal labial folds?. TIA, Doodles

I saw an improvement along my jawline within 2 weeks...the slight sagging along the edge lifted a bit. Then I stopped using it because my face was listerally cracking due to using Nu Derm. Shock Now that I am healed up, I am picking the Facial Flex back up.

I think that if used correctly, it can help with the marionette lines...when I lift my head and jut my lower jaw out a bit while using it, I can feel it work that entire area and under my chin. If I concentrated carefully, I could also feel it working in my forehead.

However, I do not think that it will eliminate them fully...you might want to look at the "Ageless If You Dare" download from Otherloulou for $10. She concentrates on exercises that focus on pulling the face up and out, which is necessary for correcting marionette lines. I plan on combining the two.

As far as the filler is concerned, I don't think that it is an issue. The increased movement *might* make them dissipate a little faster, but you sould have increased muscle tone to backfill, so I doubt that you would even noticed the decline. That's what I am hoping for myself, at least! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Loulou:

I have a copy of the Flexeffect Program and I noticed that some of the exercises, such as for the cheeks, require that the muscle be grabbed from the inside of the mouth and the skin be pulled for resistance. I have always been scared of pulling the skin and over stretching it and causing damage.

I was wondering if your exercises work on the similar principle of pulling the muscle and skin for resistance or if they do not require tugging or pulling?

Thanks

Lisa
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 am      Reply with quote
lisacollins00 wrote:
Hi Loulou:

I have a copy of the Flexeffect Program and I noticed that some of the exercises, such as for the cheeks, require that the muscle be grabbed from the inside of the mouth and the skin be pulled for resistance. I have always been scared of pulling the skin and over stretching it and causing damage.

I was wondering if your exercises work on the similar principle of pulling the muscle and skin for resistance or if they do not require tugging or pulling?

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa, yes my exercises do involve pulling and tugging, although not with the fingers in the mouth. The pulling on the skin is actually really important for its health and flexibility... like the other organs of the body it needs to be challenged to stay healthy as you get older. The skin isn't dead, it's constantly turning over cells to rebuild itself. It needs a bit of a workout every bit as much as the muscles, lungs, heart or brain do, although the beauty industry makes us afraid to do it and encourages us to have much more drastic/expensive things done instead. Shock

All best, LL Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
lisacollins00 wrote:
Hi Loulou:

Hi Lisa,

Thanks

Lisa

To my mind the exercises in FE that require pulling inside the mouth are some of the most effective of the program! (Seems the most resistance, the better the result). It does go against what we've been taught (don't tug on the skin, etc) but I am now doing LouLou's exercises also and I'm pulling and pinching more than ever. Laughing It feels good really!
lisacollins00
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 am      Reply with quote
otherloulou wrote:
lisacollins00 wrote:
Hi Loulou:

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa, yes my exercises do involve pulling and tugging, although not with the fingers in the mouth. The pulling on the skin is actually really important for its health and flexibility... like the other organs of the body it needs to be challenged to stay healthy as you get older. The skin isn't dead, it's constantly turning over cells to rebuild itself. It needs a bit of a workout every bit as much as the muscles, lungs, heart or brain do, although the beauty industry makes us afraid to do it and encourages us to have much more drastic/expensive things done instead. Shock

All best, LL Smile

Hi Loulou:

Thanks for the reply.

In reference to the pulling or tugging of the skin with your exercises, is that a form of resistance that is used on the muscles when doing your exercises or is it more of pulling and tugging the skin to get better circulation and massage?

I also must say that your before and after pics at the Flexeffect website are amazing. I was wondering if those results are primarily from the Flexeffect program or from the exercises in your book?

Thanks,

Lisa
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
lisacollins00 wrote:
otherloulou wrote:
lisacollins00 wrote:
Hi Loulou:

Thanks

Lisa

All best, LL Smile

Hi Loulou:

Thanks for the reply.

In reference to the pulling or tugging of the skin with your exercises, is that a form of resistance that is used on the muscles when doing your exercises or is it more of pulling and tugging the skin to get better circulation and massage?

I also must say that your before and after pics at the Flexeffect website are amazing. I was wondering if those results are primarily from the Flexeffect program or from the exercises in your book?

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The pulling on the skin in certain areas/directions increases resistance and is designed to make the muscles work harder, but also pulling on the skin in general (ie in any area or direction) will make the skin thicker and stronger in order to withstand the demands you're making on it. Circulation isn't such an important factor, although I'm sure the increased circulation is good.

I transformed my face by targeting the muscles used in my book, beginning with FE, experimenting with different techniques later devising my own resistance exercises. My exercises work the muscles very hard, FE exercises are very effective. It wouldn't matter which exercises you used, but my programme is focussed on the muscles I found important to the look of the face and requires very little work for muscles that are easily overbuilt. HTH

LL Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Louise,
I've started doing your exercises, and, while I was getting good results from FE, I was always squeamish about putting my fingers in my mouth!! So I just never did those exercises at all. I'm so happy I don't need to do that with your program. A big THANKS! and best of luck to you!!
fawnie

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I use facialflex and it's great for keeping my jaw line toned, I'm thrilled with it.It's so easy, and I just do it while in the shower so I dont forget to do it or have to think about "fitting it in".

So I dont need jaw tightening excercises. LouLou, are your undereye, forehead and cheek exercises different than flex effect?

I have the flex effect system information, and I just tend to a mini version of crucial exercises.. when I think of it.. Rolling Eyes

I guess I'm wondering what is different in your system, LouLou. I can feel I want to buy it.. so I'm probing a bit.

you look fantastic. I am very interested in thickening the skin.. going to be the dreaded 50 next year Embarassed
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
I am very interested in thickening the skin.. going to be the dreaded 50 next year Embarassed

An early welcome to the club catski!

My 58 year old skin has thickened up from consistent long term use of AHA, and just lately Retin-A.

Alpha Hydroxy Souffle 10% in the A.M.
Alternate .5 + .1% Retin-A in the P.M.

(I'm just maintaining the goodness a couple of times per week at present, but daily will get you there in about 6 months).

Sorry to get off track, but had to share that with you guys... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Facial Flex - This is relatively small and very easy to use...especially if you have a have small mouth. There are 3 levels of rubber band strengths, and you change them every week. They recommend that you use it 2x a day, for about 2 mins at a time. I paid $32 for the complete set (dvd, face cream, replacement bands, etc. on ebay) and will continue to use this, since I saw some improvement within 2 weeks of using. But since I also want to work my upper face, I am going to pair it with some additional exercises from "Ageless If You Dare" or "FlexEffect."

Manufacturer's website:
http://facialconcepts.com/

I just have to say that I really like this "tool"...if I concentrate while I am doing it, I can really feel my forehead muscles moving. (though I don't think you get that kind of focus or isolation if you are doing other things while you are doing it.) But I run into problems losing count while doing it, so I am just doing it for 2 mins at a time. BTW, many thanks to Boski for recommending it to me!!

That reminds me...I need to take some pics tomorrow as a "Before" since I am just now getting into doing it and "Ageless If You Dare" every day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:59 am      Reply with quote
I'm laughing at your half-hearted gestures in the FE department. You are just like I was Laughing

If you've already found the exercises that really work for you in the FE programme, catski, then you'd only buy my book for having some different exercises for a change. The point of my book is to exercise the muscles that are really important in changing how a face looks, and leaving out those that can be overbuilt, or simply don't make a nice difference to the face when fully developed. I have ten exercises that target the muscles I've come realise need building up or major strengthening. You do five ex one day and five the next. For the facial muscles that only need occasional toning there are 6 once-per-month exercises to avoid those muscles actually drooping.

All my exercises are different from Flexeffect's. I think my exercises make it easier to keep maximum resistance on the muscle, hence build quicker, but I can't say that anyone else would find the same thing. I am big on cheeks, very sparing on forehead for reasons I go on at length about in the book, but not because people will do any damage exercising the forehead. I only have one exercise to address all areas of the orbicularis oculis... this is a sphincter (ring) muscle, so it doesn't matter where on the perimeter you apply the resistance so long as you get both the inner and outer portions of the muscle to cut down on exercise time.

I hope this helps a bit catski. I think there's goinbg to be a separate thread on here about my book.

All best, Loulou Very Happy

catski wrote:
I use facialflex and it's great for keeping my jaw line toned, I'm thrilled with it.It's so easy, and I just do it while in the shower so I dont forget to do it or have to think about "fitting it in".

So I dont need jaw tightening excercises. LouLou, are your undereye, forehead and cheek exercises different than flex effect?

I have the flex effect system information, and I just tend to a mini version of crucial exercises.. when I think of it.. Rolling Eyes

I guess I'm wondering what is different in your system, LouLou. I can feel I want to buy it.. so I'm probing a bit.

you look fantastic. I am very interested in thickening the skin.. going to be the dreaded 50 next year Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I started a thread Ageless if you Dare - Loulou's Facial Exercises, so that Loulou's book discussion can be on its own thread.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=31539
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |