Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Do you do Facial Exercises?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
I am REALLY loving adding the Eva Frazer eye exercises (that Bethany posted from Eva's website...evafrazer.com) to the one's that I am already doing from Ageless if You Dare..only I am doing them twenty times each (like the one's from Ageless If You Dare)

I need to look at this again myself! And we have Simran to thank for bringing Eva to our attention...

Quote:
Eva Fraser Eyelid exercise

1. Look straight ahead into the mirror throughout this exercise.
2. Curve index fingers under eyebrows then raise your eyebrows and hold against the bone.
3. Close lids and stretch upper eyelids downwards in 5 small movements.
4. Hold for a count of 6
5. Release the squeeze slowly in 3 counts.
6. Open lids, Relax, Breathe.
7. Repeat once more.

*Alternatively place 4 fingers of each hand just under the line of eyebrows and proceed as above.

All the exercises are done twice, once a day 5 days a week. Choose a time when you are not tired.

How long before I see a difference?
I would love to say in 3 - 4 weeks all is restored as so many of us want an instant result and then feel disappointed. There is no magic wand.

However, you will feel strength in your facial muscles you have not felt before. That melting wax feeling when you are tired will be gone - this can happen in the first few weeks. After this you should see an improvement in the contour of your face week by week. Over the next 4 -6 months you will see a marked improvement.

The secret: Work out for 10 minutes a day - minimum 4 days a week until you are pleased with the result.

http://evafraser.com/facial_fitness.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Question...I am in Week 2 of Obagi and my skin is somewhat tender, as expected. Can I still do the exercises and massages, as long as it doen't hurt? If so, I am wondering how the increase in blood circulation will affect my Obagi results (ie. quicker results?, more side effects? etc.). Any thoughts?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
Question...I am in Week 2 of Obagi and my skin is somewhat tender, as expected. Can I still do the exercises and massages, as long as it doen't hurt? If so, I am wondering how the increase in blood circulation will affect my Obagi results (ie. quicker results?, more side effects? etc.). Any thoughts?

I would not do any skin brushing, since you certainly do not need more exfoliation! But I would assume that the exercises are fine, though they may increase your peeling.

However, you are actually supposed to be massaging your face as you rub in ALL of that Obagi....so this may not be as important for you as others, should you find that your skin is too irritated some days for additional massage.

Those are just my thoughts..and kudos for getting to Week 2! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I would not do any skin brushing, since you certainly do not need more exfoliation! But I would assume that the exercises are fine, though they may increase your peeling.

However, you are actually supposed to be massaging your face as you rub in ALL of that Obagi....so this may not be as important for you as others, should you find that your skin is too irritated some days for additional massage.

Those are just my thoughts..and kudos for getting to Week 2! Very Happy

Thanks! I am excited every day that I make it through this adventure and consider it quite an achievement! Laughing
It hasn't been too bad yet. I was on Retin A Micro .04% for about 4 months prior to starting so I hope that has helped me adjust better than I would have otherwise. Or maybe this is the calm before the storm! Shock Time will tell.
I did get my first comment about my face being red though. I was at my friend's house and she kept asking me if I wanted something to drink. Finally, she flat out asked me if I was overheated or feverish because my face was red! I don't mind too terribly if my face is reddish overall; I just don't want blotchy red N/L folds or spots, etc. on my fair Irish skin.
Thanks for your thoughts on the massage, etc. It still feels good to pinch and pull at my face, even with some tender areas, and I don't think I have worsened any soreness so I will keep at it. You're right about the product application massage...I'd forgotten that was indicated so that makes me feel better.
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:52 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Also, RuthMarion, it was really scary for me too at first, to pull on my skin/fresh..but LouLou's understanding of the process of keeping our skin youthful is so impressive, that I did plunge in..and my skin is loving/craving it...it feels like i have been so unkind, previously, without intend, to my face which is also an alive, activity-seeking part of my body...which thrives on/needs touch and challenge.

Jasminerosey & LouLou - you both make it sound worth the jump! What's making me think more seriously is the fact that a lot of the responses that I have read are not from 30 somethings. Not that I wasn't there & had the choice but I want to know about someone more like ME & in my situation. Healthy (although a bit overweight, good (great) skin & 57 Shock years old). Still scared but the dvd is almost out of the package Rolling Eyes
Has anyone who has botox & fillers had any experience with exercises. I can't see any contraindication but I still wonder. I get botox along my hairline (for awful headaches that I am prone to) & it certainly has helped the lines in my forehead Cool . I frown like there's no tomorrow so the botox has relaxed my forehead somewhat & softened those darn veritcal lines between my brows. It's a nasty habit (the frowning) but my eyes are uber sensitive to light & I have frowned since my teenage beach bumming days in sunny California. I know that the botox has helped me in that it certainly has relaxed my face enough to keep the headaches at bay - in fact it has really been like a miracle for me (still purse my lips furiously but no botox or filler there).
Just wondering...
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 am      Reply with quote
I am so confused on this botox issue! Embarassed I have been told that by freezing one muscle,your other muscles will compensate and will create new wrinkles and yet doctors will tell you to botox to prevent wrinkles from even forming.Its like a pair of new leather shoes, after 6 months there are a lot of creases in the shoe....botox prevents these creases from forming in our face, yet then why exercise and provoke those creases?Unless you are strengthening the underlying muscle to give the outer layer a smoother look.I need clarity on that..... Confused
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls! If you look at page 2 of this thread, you will see that we mention Eva Fraser. I have been doing her exercises for over 20 years (off and on), and although I have got completely paranoid about my face sagging since turning 50, comparing myself to others of the same age, I can see I have definitely aged better than most. I have no deep lines or wrinkles, and with the help of Tua Viso, and a brilliant device I found on e-bay, which is similar to the Facial Flex (which I also have but haven't found that effective), I feel like I have had a mini facelift! I have also just bought the Stop device as well to add to my arsenal of weapons I'm using in my fight with Mother Nature. I still do the 5 minute Eva Fraser routine at least once a week, as the tapping exercises included in it, are brilliant for lymphatic drainage.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
lillilulu,
Glad you posted about your devices and facial exercises because it i so helpful to hear form people that are actually using these tools. I too have the Tua Viso, Stop, and do facial exercises. Can you tell others what you see the benefits of the Tua Viso apart from Stop and facial exercises? I really love using the Tua Viso and the Stop but I haven't been using either long enough to give a decent review of the comparison. I do think think the Stop is number one for tightening the skin though the collagen and the facial exercises and Tua Viso are tightening through flexing and toning muscles. What are your thoughts, especially what you have seen with the Tua Viso? Also how long have you been using the Stop?
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
I am so confused on this botox issue! Embarassed I have been told that by freezing one muscle,your other muscles will compensate and will create new wrinkles and yet doctors will tell you to botox to prevent wrinkles from even forming.Its like a pair of new leather shoes, after 6 months there are a lot of creases in the shoe....botox prevents these creases from forming in our face, yet then why exercise and provoke those creases?Unless you are strengthening the underlying muscle to give the outer layer a smoother look.I need clarity on that..... Confused

First of all if you have botox (like I have had) in the forehead area you can't really work those muscles to start with. So, forget that!

I use botox to prevent the frowning, thus preventing the formation of the lines to start with. I have had such a tendency toward the 11's being deep when I frown and since doing botox over the last 3 years or so, they aren't even noticeable. And I have not noticed any compensation of other muscles or wrinkling occurring. Maybe that's just me, but it's all been good.

LouLou doesn't necessarily endorse the forehead exercises - kind of on the fence about the pros Vs Cons of them. And what she says about this makes sense - like everything she says!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:32 am      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
Has anyone who has botox & fillers had any experience with exercises. I can't see any contraindication but I still wonder.

There is no contraindication because there are no chemicals or hardware involved.

It might make it wear off faster though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Logically - you would think that. But I haven't noticed it.

I have had only two botox injections all of 2008 and was doing facial exercise. I didn't notice any quicker dissipation of results. For me the botox seems to be lasting longer as my 11's get whipped into shape...

Although - hmmm I only do a few forehead exercises so maybe that's why.

I had artefill about a year ago and that seems to be okay.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Toby,
I have been using the Tua Viso since around the beginning of December. I use it at least 5 times weekly, and do all the exercises. I have definitely noticed my cheeks have lifted and jaw line has improved a lot and my eybrows are nicely lifted too. The improvements are subtle but in the last couple of weeks, one friend asked me if I was having loads of early nights as I looked, in her words, fresher. Another friend asked me if I was in love, because I was looking really good, so that's good enough for me! I only received my Stop on Thursday, so have only used it twice. Not noticed anthing yet but I can't get the light on to orange even on the higher setting, but after reading other posts, maybe it doesn't matter. I have found with the Tua Viso that you need to get the precise position to get a lift. In the book it explains what movement you should see and if it's a fraction out of place, it won't work. It sometimes takes me a while even now to locate some positions. I will post on the Stop thread when I have used it more and see any results.
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:

Lucy, the facial skin isn't like a leather shoe, it's attached to the muscle, and the wrinkles are there because the muscle underneath doesn't lie smooth and flat as you get older. So Botox isn't preventing the skin from wrinkling because it can't move, it's because it relaxes and flattens the muscle completely. If you do facial exercise you'll condition the muscles and they'll lie flat against your bones as they did when you were young. The skin is stuck to the muscle, so that lies flat also.

There's a longer explanation of this in my book, you can read an extract here http://louiseannette.co.uk/page009.html scroll down to section iii Cause and Treatment of Facial Wrinkling Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
jasminerosey wrote:
Also, RuthMarion, it was really scary for me too at first, to pull on my skin/fresh..but LouLou's understanding of the process of keeping our skin youthful is so impressive, that I did plunge in..and my skin is loving/craving it...it feels like i have been so unkind, previously, without intend, to my face which is also an alive, activity-seeking part of my body...which thrives on/needs touch and challenge.

Jasminerosey & LouLou - you both make it sound worth the jump! What's making me think more seriously is the fact that a lot of the responses that I have read are not from 30 somethings. Not that I wasn't there & had the choice but I want to know about someone more like ME & in my situation. Healthy (although a bit overweight, good (great) skin & 57 Shock years old). Still scared but the dvd is almost out of the package Rolling Eyes
Has anyone who has botox & fillers had any experience with exercises. I can't see any contraindication but I still wonder. I get botox along my hairline (for awful headaches that I am prone to) & it certainly has helped the lines in my forehead Cool . I frown like there's no tomorrow so the botox has relaxed my forehead somewhat & softened those darn veritcal lines between my brows. It's a nasty habit (the frowning) but my eyes are uber sensitive to light & I have frowned since my teenage beach bumming days in sunny California. I know that the botox has helped me in that it certainly has relaxed my face enough to keep the headaches at bay - in fact it has really been like a miracle for me (still purse my lips furiously but no botox or filler there).
Just wondering...

RuthMarion, I had Resty in my naso/labial lines, it might have dissipated quicker than it would have if I hadn't exercised (can't say for sure either way), but the area quickly filled out to the extent that I didn't need it.

You don't need to do forehead exercises if you have Botox, just do the rest of the face Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I had artefill about a year ago and that seems to be okay.

My temporary fillers seem to be dissipating a little faster than usual.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
lillilulu wrote:
Hi Toby,
I have been using the Tua Viso since around the beginning of December. I use it at least 5 times weekly, and do all the exercises. I have definitely noticed my cheeks have lifted and jaw line has improved a lot and my eybrows are nicely lifted too. The improvements are subtle but in the last couple of weeks, one friend asked me if I was having loads of early nights as I looked, in her words, fresher. Another friend asked me if I was in love, because I was looking really good, so that's good enough for me! I only received my Stop on Thursday, so have only used it twice. Not noticed anthing yet but I can't get the light on to orange even on the higher setting, but after reading other posts, maybe it doesn't matter. I have found with the Tua Viso that you need to get the precise position to get a lift. In the book it explains what movement you should see and if it's a fraction out of place, it won't work. It sometimes takes me a while even now to locate some positions. I will post on the Stop thread when I have used it more and see any results.

So to tie in to this facial exercise thread, do you feel that the Tua Viso can replace facial exercises?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I am not speaking for Lillilulu but I would think since has been doing Eva Frasar facial exercises for 20 years she is just using the Tua Viso as a supplement to the exercises. That is what I am doing with the Tua Viso. You can stimulate muscles behind the ear that I haven't been able to do with facial exercises and some other perks. Also I have noticed it has tightened and lifted. BUT....facial exercises are still the most important.The Tua Viso can be used while watching TV or reading post form the forum,dead time activity. Also it puts me to sleep. Lillilulu tell us what you think...
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Cross-posting for SLH! Can others please weigh in?

bethany wrote:
slh wrote:
I have been doing flex-away for about three weeks and doing it 2 -3 times a day ranging between 250 and 300 reps. If anything, I think I look worse... I am also doing a few other facial exercises I have found on-line for free. What is a reasonable time to wait to see results - 3 months? It is frustrating when I hear of others seeing results in such a short time.

Hi, and welcome to EDS!

This thread is for Ageless, which is VERY different than Flex-Away.

I aw results at one month...others take longer. I am hoping to really see great results in 6 months, though I am seeing new changes every month.

I suspect that your problem is overdoing it though...too much exercise with no break for recovery will cause you to look tired, etc. Try cutting the number of times you are doing it, or switch to every other day.

Here is the thread for general facial exercise questions...it is over on the skincare forum (this is the tools forum) and covers all facial exercise brands. I will cross-post this answer for you there so that more Flex-Away users can answer you.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=17697

Editing to add: Here is a thread dedicated to Facial Flex:

Facial Flex For Firming and Lifting
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27638&highlight=facial+flex

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
250-300 reps Shock I can't imagine that is required or prescribed use. Any facial exercise overdone will cause a tired or 'worse' look as you say. I'd cut back on your reps. I'd get Ageless - add that in - and do the daily five minutes and call it good Very Happy

Less is sometimes more.
slh
5% products discount

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Sister Sweets and you are probably right I am overdoing it. Guess I was thinking I would look better faster. I will have search and find out more about ageless. Thanks so much for weighing in.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
slh wrote:
Thanks Sister Sweets and you are probably right I am overdoing it. Guess I was thinking I would look better faster. I will have search and find out more about ageless. Thanks so much for weighing in.

SLH, I looked in the Flex-Away book and it says 40-70 reps 2 times a day (more for faster results).

I can totally see why you upped it, and it is not fair that they didn't disclose the negative side effects of doing more. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know that any of the facial exercise books I have (all two of them!) specifically tells you the negative of doing more than the prescribed number of reps (or way more than the prescribed number of reps as the case may be).

I'll have to check my FE book but I dont remember seeing that in there.

I guess they are just thinking that it's great if you can maintain their minimum. Very Happy And I'm sure for most of us that is true.
slh
5% products discount

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bethany and Sister - apparently, I am just a glutton for punishment. Will back off a bit since it doesn't seem to get better/faster results. I looked at the Ageless site and that looks interesting as well and a totally different work out then past facial exercises I have seen. This board is getting quite addictive!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I don't know that any of the facial exercise books I have (all two of them!) specifically tells you the negative of doing more than the prescribed number of reps (or way more than the prescribed number of reps as the case may be).

Sis, I guess I was referring to the impact of not taking a break, or overworking things...I didn't word that well.

Flex Effect acknowledges that you may look tired, and Ageless tells why you need to take a break to avoid looking worse. But Flex Away doesn't really set expectations in that manner (at least in the mini flyer that I have).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
SLS: When I think about this facial exercise thing I think about this analogy:

I have friends that haven't worked out or exercised in a long time and they join the gym I go to and they are gung ho! There all the time, going at it like crazy and then they burn out because they want results so badly and so quickly. Or they go a few times and work out in a good way but it hurts and they don't like it. The results are coming along but they stop.

Like the Tortoise and the Hare: Slow and steady wins the race.

...Bethany, I think you word most everything well. I can't remember what is was like without you on EDS!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |