Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
What is your favorite Cold Remedy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I seem to had caught a cold (I am sure that it has nothing to do with my 1 1/2 hr walk in the pouring rain Sunday Confused )

What are some of your sure fire cold remedies? I hate having a cold because they always seem to linger forever and I just feel crappy. I would much rather be knocked out sick for a day or two than having this lingering cold!

TIA,
liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Cold-eeze...basically its zinc. I always take at the first signs of a cold. I swear by them!!! You can get them in either gum or lozenges, and from any drugstore or Walmart.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Last time I got a cold I used that zi-cam gel that you put inside your nose, and my symptoms instantly disappeared--- worked better than dayquil!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Love that Zicam. I also take Echinacea with Golden Seal to ward off colds and allergies.

Ari
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Airborne seems to shorten my colds and gives me a pickup when I'm feeling crappy.

If I don't take it on a long flight - I usually get a cold.

I've tried Zicam (made me sneeze a lot) and Coldeeze but didn't notice anything with those.

My mom swears by EmergenC which I also sometimes take before dance class. During the winter it's just a breeding ground of cold germs. The kids are before us, then the adults in a small room sweating up a storm.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much for all of your suggestions!!

I dug around in my bathroom closet and found some zicam spray. It was full and I was wondering why I hadn't used it last year. So I sprayed it in my mouth and it tasted HORRIBLE!! (which explains why it went unused for a year!) So I ran to walgreens and got the lozenges, I have been taking them all day and I haven't got worse Pray

Thanks so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:

I dug around in my bathroom closet and found some zicam spray. It was full and I was wondering why I hadn't used it last year. So I sprayed it in my mouth and it tasted HORRIBLE!!

What Zicam was it? There's one with swabs that you rub in your nose and a nasal spray ... I didn't know there was a oral spray?
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
When I've got a cold or flu I always have cups and cups of tea, especially echinacea tea and ginger tea. (Sometimes I make ginger milk tea but I wouldn't recommend it for the phlegmy type colds. Yuk! LOL) And I always seem to have a craving for toast with butter when I'm sick so I basically have that and soup for meals. I usually don't have much of an appetite when I'm ill so toast, soup and tea always do the trick. Of course I immerse myself in loads of aromatherapy baths and have lots of antiviral oils diffused in the house and bedroom. When I'm so bad I can't sleep I turn to Neo Citran. I like the woozy mellow feeling it gives me. LOL Oh and lozenges are a Godsend as my throat is always the worst off when sick so I'm popping them like candy. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
Of course I immerse myself in loads of aromatherapy baths and have lots of antiviral oils diffused in the house and bedroom. When I'm so bad I can't sleep I turn to Neo Citran.

ohhhh aromatherapy bath sounds SOOOooo good right now (and I don't even have a cold!)
What's Neo Citran?
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
abejita wrote:

I dug around in my bathroom closet and found some zicam spray. It was full and I was wondering why I hadn't used it last year. So I sprayed it in my mouth and it tasted HORRIBLE!!

What Zicam was it? There's one with swabs that you rub in your nose and a nasal spray ... I didn't know there was a oral spray?

Man, I just ran to my trash to dig out the bottle to make sure I wasn't spraying nose spray in my mouth (although, that would explain the nasty taste) But it was Zicam Oral Mist in (nasty) mint flavor. I checked the website and apparently it tastes sooo nasty that they don't sell this type anymore.

liz

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:
What's Neo Citran?

It's a hot soothing beverage for colds, flu and coughs. Does the St Bernard commercial ring a bell at all? LOL
http://www.neocitran.ca/index.htm
Hmm just checked the site and I guess they're making syrup now too. Interesting.....

And you're right about the aromatherapy baths. They are always a good thing no matter when.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
I checked the website and apparently it tastes sooo nasty that they don't sell this type anymore.

buwahahaha ... THAT'S why it works! It tastes so nasty you get better before you have to take another dose!!!

Wildflower - thanks for the link. When I click on English I get a white page. Only French shows ... with a disclaimer that the product is intended for Canadians only. Crying or Very sad
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've got a cold that refuses to go away, so I'm trying some of your suggestions. I found the Coldeeze, but can't find Zicam, is it in Canada? All my regular remedies are not working with this cold - I am miserable.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
marnie wrote:
I've got a cold that refuses to go away

what are your symptoms and how long have you had it? I used to get a ton of colds - until they figured out I've got some doozy allergies and I've been fighting sinus infections.
Angyl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I take EmergenC all the time. I'm quite prone to gettting sick in the winter, so I drink a cup with every meal if i remember. It's kinda tasty!

When i AM getting sick I'll drink lots of tea with honey. I never thought Coldeeze worked. But Zicam does. I prefer the nasal swab,s jsut so you dont have to spray anything into your mouth. I really disliked the lozenges.

Someone once told me that zinc and such only works for some people. I think I'm one of the people it doesn't work on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Is anyone concerned about the Zicam rumor that the gel causes damage to nasal passages? I checked Snopes and they said the validity of the claim is undetermined.

I've been using echinacea caps as soon as I feel a cold coming on and within 3-4 days I'm feeling better, and the severity of the symptoms is diminished if I catch it early enough. I don't even need to use OTC cold symptom treatments.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your concern, Rjez, but its definitely just a cold. The virus that has been circulating in my workplace seems to be a particularly long lasting one - many have had it for 3-4 weeks, I myself am at just about 3 weeks. Normally if I take echinacea at the beginning, I can sail through pretty good, but I was out at the time this one hit me. It sucks, plus Norwalk virus went around at work, and I got that, and now it's circulating again! It's not been a good fall so far.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
marnie wrote:
I myself am at just about 3 weeks.

ugh ... your poor body is probably depleted trying to keep up. Drink plenty of water, take extra C and zinc, nice warm baths. Anything that supports your body so it isn't so taxed.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Cold-FX!! Decreases downtime, and if taken at the onset of a cold/flu, stops it from becoming full blown.
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Source Naturals Wellness Formula.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
At the first sign of cold/flu, I use Oscillococcinum. I get it at Walgreens. I usually take 3 doses spread throughout 1 day and I swear for me it knocks whatever I am getting right out and I feel great the next day. The only thing I have found is that you have to immediately use it at the very first hint of catching something, otherwise it does not seem to work near as well.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
...and got the lozenges, I have been taking them all day and I haven't got worse Pray

So I felt a cold comming on last night and decided to give the Cold Eze lozenges (sp?) a shot this afternoon. I hope they work!! I really wish that I'm better by the morning. Ive had a trip planned to go to the mtns for a while now, and this had to come up. I'm leaving tomorrow morning too.

I must say, they do have an aftertaste/ mouth feeling they leave behind. I can't stand it! Is it just me, or has anyone else had this? Its like they leave my mouth dry.

Can anyone reassure me that they will work? Rolling Eyes ,lol. Oh, and that I'll be good and well tomorrow morning? Pray
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Oscillococcinum is a terrific thing to have around the house this time of year. Another method we've used is hydrogen peroxide drops in the ears... again right at the start when you first feel something works best.

When not feeling well there are drinks I like to make for loved ones. One I've mentioned before with lemon honey and garlic which is quite yummy and this one called fire potion

1 tbsp Ginger (freshly grated)
1 tbsp Garlic (fresh minced)
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper (no typo)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly-squeezed lemon)
1 tbsp Honey (preferably dark honey)

Steep the ingredients in a large mug of boiling hot water (or in piping hot chicken broth if you prefer). You can use powdered ginger and garlic, but the fresh stuff works better.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Another thing I like is airborne tablets. I started to feel a cold coming on, so I started taking an airborne every few hours, and by the next day I was fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I recommend Echinacea with Goldseal. Found just about everywhere-Walmart, all super drug chains. Saw it in Ireland while I was there in September. Obviously different brand name than I use here in the states but exactly the same thing.

This stuff is great. It's positively AMAZING for sinus pressure and headaches (and the attendant nausea), as well. Usually knocks it out within 30 minutes or so. By the name you're ready for the second dose, you'll think you don't need to. Take it anyway. What it does is build up your immune response.

I highly recommend it.

Ari

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |