Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Travel blues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I recently spent several days traveling on business and with all the dry air from the hotel, airports, and planes, my skin was an absolute wreck. This, despite drinking tons of water and staying away from salty, crappy food. My skin was blotchy, dry and tight feeling. I had time for an emergency facial and the esthetician thought I had surface dehydration and a bout of sensitivity, which I guess can happen with abrupt environmental changes. What are some good products to bring along on my next trip to prevent this horror from happening again?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Origins makes a nice group of products that are specifically for this. I think the Flight Cream was excellent especially.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
When I get on a long-haul flight, the first thing I do is cleanse my skin and then apply a good slather of facial oil (camellia is just what I happen to have) and this helps keep it hydrated throughout the flight (in addition to multiple spritzing and guzzling water)

During the trip, for night, a good facial oil, topped off with some HA serum should help keep the skin hydrated. Keep the skin well exfoliated (after a long-haul flight I always used to do a microderm treatment) and also carry a good hydrating mask with you that you can use every evening if needed.

Ask the hotel for a humidifier for the room, or at least take a couple of glasses of water and pour all over the carpet. First time my hubby did that I thought he was nuts, but by morning the water will be all dried up. If you can get hold of a large bowl, you can also just put a couple of huge bowls of water in the room to try and fight the dryness.

Also, keep a good hydrating spritzer beside the bed and in your handbag (Burt's Bees Carrot is good, or else a good rose one).

Ah, one last thing... use a nasal spray before bed (like Weleda aloe one) to help keep your nasal passages hydrated while sleeping.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Remergent barrier repair cream!!! works wonders fast.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
LandB, I TOTALLY feel your pain. When I first started traveling to Asia I had no idea the kind of havoc that travel can wreak on the skin, I was totally unprepared. As a result, my skin went nuts and it tooks weeks to recover. Since then, though, I've wised up and have had fewer problems. Tiger_tim's suggestion for the facial oil is very good--- I like camellia oil too. Also, when traveling I SWEAR by facial spritzes. Honestly, I spritz every hour or two, and it works wonders. I haven't tried the Burt's Bees spritzes but I've heard VERY good things about them and they are quite affordable. Spritzes that I use and like are: Caudalie Grape Water, Body Shop Vitamin E face mist, Zenbiotic O2 spray, and Zenbiotic Phyto Moisture (this one delivers MAJOR moisture).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks everyone for the great advice. Tiger_tim, can you recommend a good HA serum?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
At the moment I just have the good ole CA$19 (30ml) PSF one (sold here on EDS), but I totally love the Cellex-C Hydra 5 B-Complex - but at CA$79 Shock for the same size, it is hard to justify spending an extra $59 just to get the two extra ingredients (Pantothenic Acid, Phenoxyethanol)..

Actually, I sometimes take a drop of the PSF HA solution and mix it together in my palm with my face oil (either camellia or the L'Occitane Immortelle) and then apply to the face, somehow the oil seems to absorb better Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
This is a good thread. . .thanks for the tips!!! I once heard on a talk show that one should put vasoline on the face before the plane takes off??? No I would never!!! Okay, but my face gets oilier on that stupid plane . . .why is that? You would think it would dry out but the contrary happens. Doe this happen to anyone else and what do you do?

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
panda
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:55 am      Reply with quote
chellsta,

i may put vasoline on my lips but not on my face!!

i put elemis SOS emergency cream before every flight and if it is a long haul flight, i bring oil of olay's aqua hydration nourishing mask with me (they come in a box of 5 and each are individually wrapped) and halfway through the flight. i used to use SKII masks but they are more $$ and i found that olay worked just as well. i don't care how weird i look with a mask slapped on my face because i'd rather look hydrated than peely and haggard upon arrival. oh, and i have to agree with you all: spritzers are a must!

i think your face gets oilier because it's dehydrated. so your skin tries to produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. this used to happen to me on planes and then i would break out from the oil too. not fun.
queenmary
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
i think take some mask with u.

i like valmont renewing pack and sisley flower gel, sisley facial mask with linden blossom.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
panda wrote:
chellsta,

i think your face gets oilier because it's dehydrated. so your skin tries to produce more oil to compensate for the dryness. this used to happen to me on planes and then i would break out from the oil too. not fun.

Panda,
Thanks for that clarification! No wonder I break out during travel! I will be better prepared upon the next flight!

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
wow ... wish this thread existed before my last trip.

Beauty without Cruelty Max Moisture Cream
Weleda Skin Food - too greasy for most of the time but I dot on my cheeks and it's great for my throat. LOVE the smell.
DML Forte - unscented, heavy duty. Similar to Avene Cold Cream.
Fresh has an 'in flight kit' that gets tons of raves but is pricey. 4 products made specifically for use during long flights.

I found this on drugstore.com. It's only $8.
Jao Flight Rescue:
Jao Serious Moisture - You're probably not thinking about your face. But we are. Moisturize it with this concentrated blend. Formulated for dry complexions. Remember: there is no greater turn-off than a flaky face.

Jao Hand Refresher - It's your portable sink. Alcohol kills the germs. Essential oils cleanse and soften the skin. Makes a great aftershave too.

LipJao - Your lucky lips! Smooth it on to protect and soften with SPF-15 and Shea butter.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
I was once a flight attendant and also suffered from the woes of constant airline travel. What I found worked well for me was using a really moisturizing day cream. (My favs are Dr Hauschka's Rose Day Cream or Primavera's Nourishing Cream.) Another big thing for me was facial mists or toners. I would spray my face at least 2 - 3 times a day especially on long haul flights. What I liked using was a water based mister or a blend of floral hydrosols with some peppermint hydrosol or a few drops of peppermint EO. Ahh it was so soothing and refreshing and an instant pick me up. The drinking water thing really helps as does staying away from alcohol and caffeine and smoke. Another saving grace - organic/natural baby wipes (no alcohol) to remove makeup and freshen up at the end of the day. The aloe in the wipes really helps to soothe and soften skin while hydrating as well. Tiger Tim's tip about the hotel humidifier is good idea, but if your hotel doesn't have one just do what I used to do which was to fill up a tub with hot water before bed and drop in a few drops of my favourite relaxing EOs. This will help get moisture in the room as well as creating a nice homey and soothing atmosphere for a good night's rest. Happy Travels! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
OH YES! Totally forgot about Weleda Skin Food... that will protect your face in-flight like nothing on earth (actually, thinking back, it is what I used instead of Camellia oil in June). Skin Food is not something I would use on my face all the time, but it is fab for protection and resurrection from the elements (just be sure to mist your face first because it is thick and hard to apply sparingly). Jurlique Face Day Cream is another balmy type that provides great protection against dry environments (my DH current passion).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to add ... my newest HG for flights ...

"No JetLag"
. Tiny pills you eat every 2 hours of the flight.

I get jetlag just STEPPING on an airplane. Seriously, one hour does it for me.

Anyway, I used it on a trip from California to Spain and I was raring to go while hubby needed a nap.

My mom used it to go from Hawaii to Japan and loved it.

It's just herbal pills so even if it's psychosomatic - it's worth it for me.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:

so even if it's psychosomatic - it's worth it for me.

rofl

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |