Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Painful bump on eyelid - scared and oh so sad
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Hello all -
I woke up this morning to a slightly swollen right eyelid, complete with a barely discernable red bump close to the eyelashes. It hurts ever so slightly more if you push on it. I'm panicking and fearing many unspeakable things. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Could it be a sty?
Quote:
WHEN TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR

* Your sty lasts more than a week.

* Your sty is accompanied by blurred vision.

* A hard lump (chalazion) develops on the lid itself.

What Your Symptom Is Telling You

A sty is a lot like a pimple. It's swollen, red and sometimes painful, and it gives you that same sinking feeling when you look in the mirror. The only thing that distinguishes it, really, is its particularly sensitive location.

Sties are the result of an infected oil gland at the base of the eyelash. You can get more than one sty at a time or several in succession because the infection can spread from one hair follicle to others. Infection can occur, for example, when a contaminated mascara or makeup brush gives bacteria a free ride into the oily pores along the lashes. People who have super-oily skin or scalp may be sty-prone, just as they may be acne-prone, according to Kenneth Kauvar, M.D., assistant clinical professor of ophthalmology at the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver and author of Eyes Only.

Symptom Relief

Like pimples, sties are usually harmless and disappear on their own, says Dr. Kauvar. Here's how you can help clear them up.

Drain, don't squeeze. "Popping a sty could push bacteria into your bloodstream and transport the infection to the brain," says Dr. Kauvar. Instead, drain the sty naturally and promote healing blood flow by applying a warm washcloth to your closed lid, he advises. Apply the washcloth for 15 minutes four times a day. You should notice improvement in a day or so, says Dr. Kauvar.

Take it to the doctor. If the sty worsens or remains after a week, your doctor can prescribe an antibiotic or steroid to reduce inflammation or lance the sty in a painless office procedure.

Keep a clean upper lid. As with facial acne, you need to keep your eyelids clean and oil-free, especially if you have recurrent sties, says Dr. Kauvar. "The easiest way to do this is to dip a cotton swab in diluted baby shampoo and use it to clean the base of the lashes," he says.

Take a break from eye makeup. Resume applying eye makeup only after your sty is gone. And toss the mascara you were using before the sty appeared and replace all eye makeup brushes to prevent further infection.

Ditch that dandruff. Dandruff can fall onto eyelids and trigger a sty, says Dr. Kauvar.
From: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/16/218.cfm
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Don't be sad! I'm with sharkbait - it sounds like a sty to me! I used to get them quite often when I was a kid..it used to really hurt when I blinked...eventually it would "release" (usually in a few days)...I used to put warm compresses on them and they would usually let go really quickly....I used to put polysporin ointment on them as well...If it is a sty - whatever you do - keep your eye area clean!! of make-up and don't play with it! Go see your doc just to make sure it isn't anything serious (but it sounds JUST like a sty Smile )
Good luck!
Pudoodles
chellsta
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I agree! It is probably a sty! I would follow the advise posted EXCEPT I would NEVER through away my eye brushes!!!! Mad I would much rather disinfect them with a good wash and dry than trash that investment. My brushes are expensive!!!!!!

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
it's probably no biggie, most of them go away in a couple of days. don't worry!! if not, your doctor will help you out.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
From LOTS of personal experience.. it is probably a sty. If you can't get to the docs any time soon, just use a clean and warm/hot cloth to cover the area to help relieve the pain. And a simple course of antiobiotics should help clear it up - unlike mine which all had to be surgically removed Sad
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it sounds like a sty. I had two in my late teens (I remember them distinctly!). They're awful and I know how you feel. I just felt like a monster. I agree with the hot compresses, and just keeping it clean. Basically, it's a zit.

However, if it doesn't go away within a week or so, you may have to have it lanced. (EEK!) I never had to this, but my boyfriend did. His stuck around for a month, and the dr called it something else at that point. But I think it was just a sty that my BF never tended to.
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Ohhh thank all of you so much! I feel so much better. It really does sound like it might be a sty from the symptoms etc. I'm going to start with the warm compresses tonight and keep the eyelid clean.
Sharkbait, that article was very informative and helpful, as were everyone's comments and suggestions.
I hope it goes away soon, I'm going out to North Carolina next week to see my boyfriend for Thanksgiving! I don't want to be a hideous crazy eyed alien girl!
hlg22
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
It might also be a chalazion (sp?). I got these frequently as a teenager, and did have to have them lanced on two occasions - not fun. The warm compresses are a good idea, and you may want to clean along the lash line with baby shampoo (this was recommended by my opthalmologist for preventing both stys and chalazion, it will not irritate your eyes). If you're prone to them, they often reoccur - I eventually had to do a three month course of doxycycline in college, but after that have not gotten one since.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I get sties alot...and I've had two infected tear ducts (always the same eye, the right one)...if it doesn't go away in a week, I'd get it checked out.

There's an ointment I use that gets rid of 'em really fast!!! It's simply called "stye"

http://www.medshopexpress.com/136452.html

I'm not recommending this seller or anything...I've never ordered it online...I just get it at my local drugstore...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Pulsatilla is what I recommend, as a remedy for styes it has no equal; it causes them to abort before pus has formed.
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Dahli -
What exactly is Pulsatilla and how would you apply it? Is it a supplement of some sort? Would you take it internally or otherwise?

Thank you for your suggestion!
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
If is's a sty, you can also try applying really hot to it with a washcloth. The hottest water you can stand! Do this several times a day and it will help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant to say you can also try applying really hot water to it with a washcloth. The hottest water you can stand! Do this several times a day and it will help.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Mammamia wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say you can also try applying really hot water to it with a washcloth. The hottest water you can stand! Do this several times a day and it will help.

What my opthalmologist suggested was to dampen a washcloth and microwave it for a few seconds to get it hotter than through tap water alone. That way, you can sit with it on your eye longer before having to reheat - just unfold it and flip it over when it starts to cool down.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have good news! After much tender loving care, lots of steaming sessions, a couple washings with baby soap and 2 rounds of tea bag compresses, my eyelid looks 95% better today. It's barely red and doesn't hurt anymore. Thanks to all of you and your wonderful suggestions. This forum is such an amazing group of knowledgeable people - I'm so glad I found it!
hlg22
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
I have good news! After much tender loving care, lots of steaming sessions, a couple washings with baby soap and 2 rounds of tea bag compresses, my eyelid looks 95% better today. It's barely red and doesn't hurt anymore. Thanks to all of you and your wonderful suggestions. This forum is such an amazing group of knowledgeable people - I'm so glad I found it!

Woo hoo! Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |