Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Interesting idea for how to prevent a scab
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
OK ladies, fess up. We all know that you've badgered a blemish to the point of it becoming a scab, and then since you can't cover the scab with make up you're miserable for the next week or two til the darn thing falls off. Goodness knows I do it all the time, no matter how many times I tell myself I won't do it again! Laughing Anyways, if this does ever happen to you, you might find this article interesting:
http://www.bravesoldier.com/1/caring_rr_moist.php

Basically it claims that if your skin is broken, it will heal more quickly if you DO NOT allow it to scab over, and instead quickly disinfect it and then keep it covered with antibiotic ointment. I've been trying it out recently with both neosporin and Brave Soldier's anti-bac ointment and I think they may be onto something...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, Liz! I have found from personal experience that scarring is less if I keep the skin moist. When I was a chef, I would get burns all the time. I am so fair like you that after awhile my arms looked terrible! I found that if I kept the bandaids on and the area moist, the wound would heal quicker and leave less of a scar. Sometimes it was a lot of work keeping those bandaids on (I was always washing my hands or getting my arms wet) but it was so much better if I did. Even now, I put bandaids on any bad acne spots at night (and then hide from my husband! Wink ). I think it really helps speed recovery.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
OK ladies, fess up. We all know that you've badgered a blemish to the point of it becoming a scab, and then since you can't cover the scab with make up you're miserable for the next week or two til the darn thing falls off. Goodness knows I do it all the time, no matter how many times I tell myself I won't do it again! Laughing Anyways, if this does ever happen to you, you might find this article interesting:

Basically it claims that if your skin is broken, it will heal more quickly if you DO NOT allow it to scab over, and instead quickly disinfect it and then keep it covered with antibiotic ointment. I've been trying it out recently with both neosporin and Brave Soldier's anti-bac ointment and I think they may be onto something...

good idea...nothing sexier than a scabby zit on your chin (which you of course try and cover up, then realize you look like you have some weird skin disease because concealer over scab doesn't work, and then spend 5 minutes washing your face and redoing your makeup only to be 20 minutes late to work...with a nice red scabby zit on your chin. can I get a hallelujah.
chevycamarolvr
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I had a derm tell me that once.. He said to keep it moist with an ointment and keep it covered... Said it would help to minimize the scarring.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

good idea...nothing sexier than a scabby zit on your chin (which you of course try and cover up, then realize you look like you have some weird skin disease because concealer over scab doesn't work, and then spend 5 minutes washing your face and redoing your makeup only to be 20 minutes late to work...with a nice red scabby zit on your chin. can I get a hallelujah.

Hallelujah and Amen! Laughing

Its really nice when you go thru all that trouble only to have your SO point out the scabby red zit... Rolling Eyes As if I didnt realize it was there...
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

HALLELUJAH!!! Waffle, you are totally singing my song, LOL!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I totally feel the same way every single poster on this thread feels. But it's basically a lose-lose situation - you either keep it moist putting globs of ointment on your face or keep a bandaid on, OR a scab. Both of which being equally unattractive, though I still opt of weird concealer over scab than a huge bandaid.

But if I'm at home I'd go with a compress EP that keeps it moist - I find that it doesn't really scab if I do it overnight, but it does a bit once I take it off. I also find that if it doesn't scab any kind of exfoliation you do will peel off the skin on that area which leads to easier scarring. Not just exfoliation but that area becomes so fragile a slight wipe with a washcloth is enough. With a scab I'm less likely to scar (in my experience anyways).
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG Waffle you are so danged funny! rofl Please keep posting - I've seen some of your other posts and your sense of humor is just great - I laugh every time I see something you've written!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
I just post the truth, honey Laughing
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
I just post the truth, honey Laughing

See?!?!? There you go again! Very Happy
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Before you pick at it though, try running some type of electrical current through it (safely of course, don't try short circuiting your curling iron).
I have the Suzanne Sommers facemaster, and though I am not good at using it for facercise, I have run current through an emerging zit when it pops up and the difference is incredible. If I do it at night, it will be gone in the morning. I don't get too many though so can't say it works alot, but I am guessing that is what the new Zeno does, but I've been doing this for 10 years.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
lorimcp wrote:
Before you pick at it though, try running some type of electrical current through it (safely of course, don't try short circuiting your curling iron).
I have the Suzanne Sommers facemaster, and though I am not good at using it for facercise, I have run current through an emerging zit when it pops up and the difference is incredible. If I do it at night, it will be gone in the morning. I don't get too many though so can't say it works alot, but I am guessing that is what the new Zeno does, but I've been doing this for 10 years.

rofl I still see a bunch of people sticking their wet finger into a socket with another finger on the zit... rofl

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
lorimcp wrote:

rofl I still see a bunch of people sticking their wet finger into a socket with another finger on the zit... rofl

I'll try anything once, Candy! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
lick a 9 volt and stick it on yer face
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

See??!! That's what I'm talking about!! You're jokin' - but you know some schmoe reading this is gonna say...hmmm, lemme see.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZap!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

wow! that's a lot cheaper than a face master too!
chellsta
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
You are ALL 2 funny!!! LMAO Laughing

I totally get the whole moist healing but how do you "keep it covered" I mean if you have a zit on your cheeck, what do you do? Put a bandage on top? How do you go to work with a cover over it? I'm sorry, is there something I simply don't get about this step?

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
chellsta wrote:

I totally get the whole moist healing but how do you "keep it covered" I mean if you have a zit on your cheeck, what do you do? Put a bandage on top? How do you go to work with a cover over it? I'm sorry, is there something I simply don't get about this step?

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that keeping a zit moist will help it heal faster. However, if you overpick a zit to the point where it leaves a scab, then I think that keeping it moist will heal it more quickly.

I've been testing this theory out over the last few days, actually. I overpicked something on my chin and it was going to end up as a HUGE scab, so I tried this method out. (Instead of neosporin I used the Brave Solider antiseptic ointment from that website--- I prefer it over neosporin because it has lots of healing botanicals and the lavender scent helps relax me.^-^) What I did is before bed I doused the area with O2 spray and Best Bath Store's acne serum, then I put a thick layer of antiseptic ointment, covered it all with a bandaid, and went to sleep. In the morning after I washed my face I hit it with O2 and BBS acne serum again, then I rubbed just a tiny bit of Camellia oil on it and then I rubbed in just a tiny bit of the antibacterial ointment to keep it moist under my make up. Then at night I did another heavy layer. Thankfully, it actually worked well--- I never developed a big scab, and now, two days later, the area is almost completely healed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
chellsta wrote:

This is just my opinion, but I don't think that keeping a zit moist will help it heal faster. However, if you overpick a zit to the point where it leaves a scab, then I think that keeping it moist will heal it more quickly.

I've been testing this theory out over the last few days, actually. I overpicked something on my chin and it was going to end up as a HUGE scab, so I tried this method out. (Instead of neosporin I used the Brave Solider antiseptic ointment from that website--- I prefer it over neosporin because it has lots of healing botanicals and the lavender scent helps relax me.^-^) What I did is before bed I doused the area with O2 spray and Best Bath Store's acne serum, then I put a thick layer of antiseptic ointment, covered it all with a bandaid, and went to sleep. In the morning after I washed my face I hit it with O2 and BBS acne serum again, then I rubbed just a tiny bit of Camellia oil on it and then I rubbed in just a tiny bit of the antibacterial ointment to keep it moist under my make up. Then at night I did another heavy layer. Thankfully, it actually worked well--- I never developed a big scab, and now, two days later, the area is almost completely healed.

Wow. I'm speechless at your line of attack! Laughing I'm going to have to write that all down....

I have noticed that when I cover my bad spots overnight with some ointment and a bandaid, even though the bandaid is only on my face for 8 to 6 hours, it REALLY helps heal the wound. The best bandaids that I have found that don't irritate my skin are Curel sensitive skin ones (little circle ones) that I buy at Walmart for something like $1.86 a package.

I gotta check out these items that you mentioned, Liz. You are breaking my bank!! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |