Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
I need a sunscreen product that does MORE.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Jenhelen7
5% products discount

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
OK Ladies. I've been reading these posts for ages now and I'm sure someone out there can help me. I am sick and tired of putting endless different layers of product on my face. I use a treatment, then a moisturizer, then my sunscreen. I have a slightly oily face anyway and end up with a shiny face after all these layers. I have to use sunscreen everyday because I’m pale and freckly and I end up going outside at work a lot.
Now I do use Bare Minerals makeup, which also provides me with sun protection, but I don’t like to use makeup for everyday use. So what I’m looking for is the perfect sunscreen and moisturizer in one.
I have tried lots of products – my favorite sunscreen is Peter Thomas Roth Titanium Dioxide Sunblock SPF30 and my favorite two-in-one product so far in the Murad Energizing Pomegranate Moisturizer, SPF 15. Any suggestion?
samkaj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Why don't you try a tinted moisturiser with an SPF built in? I've heard good things about the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser and it has a UVA/UVB protection of SPF 20.
Jenhelen7
5% products discount

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Samkai
Good plan - I have to be careful with a lot of makeup products because they cause me to break out but I will try and sample one of these...
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
My two cents:
I've heard good things about the PTR sunblock you mentioned, so it couldn't hurt to give it a try. However, I tested out the Murad one you mentioned once and had a TERRIBLE reaction! (Sensitive Liz strikes again! LOL!) Within seconds my face turned red and felt all hot and I had to quickly wash it off. So, if you find that you are at ALL sensitive I'd say avoid that sucker like the plague. Personally I use Clarins UV Plus and LOVE it, but it's not so moisturizing so I think it may not be for you. Have you taken a look at the daily sunblock Zenbiotic sells? (www.zenbiotic.com) I have not tried it but I've been eyeing it, and I spoke with the owner and he said that it's light but moisturizing and would make a nice daily moisturizer, AND it's chock full of good-for-your-skin antioxidants. Another one that some people here on the board seem to like (again, I haven't tried it) is Juice Beauty's Daily Sunblock. It has SPF 30 and is juice-based so it means a lot of nutrition for your skin. HTH, and let us know if you find something good!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I love using Aloette Cellular Day Defense SPF15. It's very moisturizing and makes my skin glow.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
i have recently started to use a sunscreen called "true solutions". it is 30+, and comes in tinted and untinted. i have only been using this for about two weeks, but am very happy with it.

i too am prone to getting the shiny skin if i put on too many layers, but find i can get away with just this and neroli oil. i use the untinted one, and follow up with stila oil free foundation, but have heard the tinted version is good too.
Jenhelen7
5% products discount

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Thank you!
I love to hear everyone's suggestions...I have been looking up all these products on the internet and I am now (of course) undecided about which one to try first. I certainly like the idea of Sunscreen thats packed with other good stuff like antioxidents, and I also like the Juice Beauty products I have used already so I may try that one first. Good idea Manslayerliz.
I will keep you all posted....
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:37 am      Reply with quote
JenHelen7,

I could have written your post!!! Very Happy

Right now I'm using Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizer. It's more of a light foundation. I'm not THRILLED with it...it's a little too moisturizing...but it's fine for every day (I work in a casual office).

But on days that I'm out in the sun, I need to wear a stronger sunscreen.

I'm curious if anybody has tried the MD Skincare tinted moisturizer?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/md-skincare-all-in-one-ti-p_4103.htm

Marla

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried the md formulations total protector color 30 (Max protection light tint)
Used it twice, broke out, felt itchy and greasy.
It could be great for some one else but I have sensitive skin. It smells sort of like plastic.
I'm tempted to try one more time since it's sitting on my shelf. Maybe I'll use my sister as a guinea pig. She's not so sensitive.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
samkaj wrote:
Why don't you try a tinted moisturiser with an SPF built in? I've heard good things about the Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser and it has a UVA/UVB protection of SPF 20.

I really like the consistency of the Laura Mercier - it is not broad spectrum protection though.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I like philosophy Hope in a Bottle, spf20. It's almost time for a new bottle, and it has done well for me. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:46 am      Reply with quote
juice beauty 30+ is a great product.
lilithim
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 am      Reply with quote
But I keep having great luck with Aveeno's Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer. It's only 15 SPF, but until I run out of the large bottle, it's non-greasy but still gives a good finish for makeup or barefaced. However, my mom is of a certain age and adores Origin's Have A Nice Day because it smells lovely and is great for dry skin.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and am not terribly impressed with it. It's an okay product but not worth $40 bucks in my opinion.

I used the Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer with SPF 15 for years. I had a bout of seborrheic dermatitis that lasted for a couple of years, and the Aveeno moisturizer actually worked better than any other product to treat it. It left my skin looking healthy.

Now that I'm older, I'm looking for products that also help fight signs of aging. I've been making my own daytime moisturizer. Red raspberry seed oil has a natural SPF of 40 to 50 and it absorbs quickly with no trace of greasiness and contains a lot of good nutrients for the skin. That is my base. To one ounce of that I've added 5-8 drops of essential oils that are good for anti-aging and rosacea, like sea buckthorn oil, helichrysum, and lavendar.

5% products discount

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
My two cents:
I've heard good things about the PTR sunblock you mentioned, so it couldn't hurt to give it a try. However, I tested out the Murad one you mentioned once and had a TERRIBLE reaction! (Sensitive Liz strikes again! LOL!) Within seconds my face turned red and felt all hot and I had to quickly wash it off. So, if you find that you are at ALL sensitive I'd say avoid that sucker like the plague. Personally I use Clarins UV Plus and LOVE it, but it's not so moisturizing so I think it may not be for you. Have you taken a look at the daily sunblock Zenbiotic sells? (www.zenbiotic.com) I have not tried it but I've been eyeing it, and I spoke with the owner and he said that it's light but moisturizing and would make a nice daily moisturizer, AND it's chock full of good-for-your-skin antioxidants. Another one that some people here on the board seem to like (again, I haven't tried it) is Juice Beauty's Daily Sunblock. It has SPF 30 and is juice-based so it means a lot of nutrition for your skin. HTH, and let us know if you find something good!

Loving the Juice Beauty Sunblocks I've been using them since you posted this - Thank you
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I was just checking out the Juice Beauty one because I keep hearing about it. But I'm bummed that it doesn't have any zinc oxide in it. I think it seems about like my Hauschka SPF 22 one except with a little higher SPF and maybe not much higher PPD. Although I have a feeling the texture is nicer.

Michele
paleface
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Do you really need a moisturizer? Many people use them needlessly. What if you switched to a more emollient cleanser for the morning, then applied sunscreen? You can use a treatment serum at night.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
paleface wrote:
Do you really need a moisturizer? Many people use them needlessly.

That's a good suggestion. I thought I needed a moisturizer in the morning, or a moisturizer/sunscreen product but I don't. I just switched to a good sunscreeen and I haven't missed the moisturizer part at all.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Red raspberry seed oil has a natural SPF of 40 to 50

I heard that this was bogus...raspberry seed oil does NOT have an SPF like this. I know that there are a few sites selling it that say that it does, but a chemist I know said that it is Not true. Not even close.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
After lots of trial and error, I have settled on JB ADCE for my daytime light moisturizer, antiaging treatment, and sunscreen.

I don't believe in layering alot of products anymore. One reason is because sunscreens don't work as well when not applied to clean dry skin. I have found the SPF15 in ADCE to be quite effective for most circumstances (and I live in South Florida!). I have oily skin and most moisturizers cause me to break out, and most sunscreens make me really shiny. I don't have those problems with the ADCE. Plus, It's not really so expensive when you consider what I save by not layering multiple spendy products! Razz

-- Bee
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:33 am      Reply with quote
i am not so sure about the spf quoted for the raspberry seed oil being 40 or 50. i remember a few discussions on the board about the oil, and there was quite some range in the spf, 8 being one of the lowest.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13176&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=raspberry+seed+oil+spf&start=0

Jeannine wrote:

Now that I'm older, I'm looking for products that also help fight signs of aging. I've been making my own daytime moisturizer. Red raspberry seed oil has a natural SPF of 40 to 50 and it absorbs quickly with no trace of greasiness and contains a lot of good nutrients for the skin. That is my base. To one ounce of that I've added 5-8 drops of essential oils that are good for anti-aging and rosacea, like sea buckthorn oil, helichrysum, and lavendar.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Bee wrote:
After lots of trial and error, I have settled on JB ADCE for my daytime light moisturizer, antiaging treatment, and sunscreen.

I don't believe in layering alot of products anymore. One reason is because sunscreens don't work as well when not applied to clean dry skin. I have found the SPF15 in ADCE to be quite effective for most circumstances (and I live in South Florida!). I have oily skin and most moisturizers cause me to break out, and most sunscreens make me really shiny. I don't have those problems with the ADCE. Plus, It's not really so expensive when you consider what I save by not layering multiple spendy products! Razz

-- Bee

Hi Bee, I just got happy when I saw you were in SoFla my mom's in boca and using the ADCE and loving it there! It's a great, easy, effective product Smile
rosielynt
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:10 am      Reply with quote
I used Jan marini antioxidant sunscreen
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, Jenhelen7, I'm with you on the search for the "perfect" sunscreen that would take care of a few of those extra steps.

Why don't the nicest tinted moisturizers ever have SPF 30 or higher? This has always puzzled me.

I have however, managed to somewhat remove the "moisturizer" step by using squalane oil. It sinks right in immediately, and even disappears on oily skin (this is my HG!). I then wait a minute or two for good measure, and then apply sunscreen. This way it doesn't feel like i'm layering goop after goop.

I recently bought the Juice Beauty spf 30 as it was on sale (60%off--couldn't resist!), but i see that it doesn't contain zinc oxide. Personally, i do like it, i think it's a great product, and it smells great. There is a tinted version as well.

A good drugstore find is Neutrogena Tinted Moisturizer. I use this when i'm rushing to get out the door. It is SPF 20, tinted, and has retinol. And at $10.99 it doesn't break the bank. I'm even happy with the coverage. It's pretty goof-proof if you apply it in a hurry.

HTHs!

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
I use Bioderma tinted sunscreen. Its a bit dark so I mix about half/half of the cream with the AKN Spray to lighen the shade. I find I dont need makeup when I do this.Also is excellent protection.
Also Clinique 30+ is tinted and I find I can go without makeup when I use this too.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |