Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Step-by-step makeup tricks for dark underye circles?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys...

So it's time for me to take action against my horrible dark circles. Since they're hereditary and I've had them forever, I don't see the possibility of getting rid of them...but it's at the point where I need to cover them up because I look a lot more tired/haggard/unhealthy than I feel inside, and it affects the way people perceive me.

Can anyone kind of guide a newbie (keep in mind: I hardly ever use makeup) through it?

I have a ton of questions, like: what type of product am I looking to buy -- something more watery or more creamy? What product is not going to dry up or look cakey? What color am I looking to buy (lighter than my skin tone, correct?) And also, what are the steps to putting it on -- do you put little dots along the undereye region and then spread with your finger, or do you daub it more...? How much product should I be using?

I even tried looking up a photo "how to" guide on the Internet -- no luck yet -- but maybe someone knows of one?

Also, I'm interested in hearing about "undereye brighteners" -- don't know much yet but a friend was telling me about them -- not makeup exactly just something that reflected light underneath your eyes or something and made the circles look better...?

Basically, give me all the info you've got. I know this is a topic that continues to come up on the board, but I'd certainly appreciate the tips and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Are your circles from dark skin pigmentation, or thin skin showing the blueness of the blood vessels shining through?

I have the thin skin problem myself. I don't really have a good cover up system myself. I keep hoping the next miracle cream will reduce them, but so far nothing has helped an right now I am trying the revive les yeux which is pretty expensive. It hasn't helped yet though.

I do think they look better when I use a facial self tanner or bronzer. Also the BE MMU 'Well-Rested' does as well as anything.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Not quite sure what the cause of mine are -- I guess it's the thin skin thing. My mom and brother have terrible dark circles, too, so I know it's just in the genes. Mine are a bluish, almost purplish tinge. They've always been bad but of course are getting much worse as I get older. I am terrified to see what they'll be like in 10 years.

When I try concealer now, it a) doesn't seem to really cover the dark color much at all -- just sort of puts a "coat" over it, b) settles/dries in a way that makes me, somehow, look even older -- enhances fine lines, makes the ridge of dermarcation between my cheek/eye area look more prominent.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Do you use any sort of creams or gels in the morning? They may not get rid of the darkness but they can temporarily make you look a bit perkier-- I'd recommend DHC Eye Bright. Over time, this product has actaully decreased the darkness I had around my eyes.

I use BE minerals as concealor, bisque and well- rested. I use a concealor brush to apply (the BE maximum converage brush is really great). THey dont' cake on me, and cover any darkness in a natural looking way-- no line of demarcation. HTH.
panda
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
i can relate. i look like a panda and i can't leave the house without concealer!

are you using eye cream? for me, that is a must before putting on concealer. even after eye cream, the concealer will dry your skin out a bit but i wouldn't recommend putting on concealer without eye cream because it will look really cakey.

right now i am using la prairie's essence caviar eye complex followed with cellcosmet's eye contour cream followed with cle de peau concealer. i really like the cle de peau concealer!! just the right amount of coverage but not too drying. the shade i am using is "beige" and is only a tad lighter than my skin color.

if i need to touch up throughout the day, YSL's touche eclat (radiant touch highlighter) is ok as a brightener but i can't use this alone since it's too light. also, the brightener i have is too white for me i think since i was in the sun a lot the last few months.

before i used cle de peau, i was using lancome's under eye concealer (the one that comes in a tube). this concealer is also quite good for everyday wear (doesn't dry, lighter in texture) but in the last few years, my circles got darker and it wasn't enough coverage for me. if your circles aren't that dark, this is a good one to try.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Janis, I symphasize with you, I too have hereditary dark circles and I also have allergies, so it's a double whammy. Nothing I have ever tried as totally covered them up. It is my understanding that yellow tends to cover the bluish tones and green tends to cover the reddish tones. And then they offer peach and purple covers, not sure where they fit in. I'm sorry I'm not offering much help, but I wish you lots of luck and let us know if you find something that really works. Confused
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:59 am      Reply with quote
the only thing I have that does cover my panda eyes is dermablend which is used for scars,birthmarks etc. The downside is it sets in everyfine line so my skin looks like I'm 20 years older. Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:30 am      Reply with quote
I have a drawer full of concealers in my quest for one that actually works and stays put throughout the day without making me look 20 years older Neutral

At the moment, what seems to work best for me is Everyday Minerals sunlight concealer (a yellow powder) followed by EM mineral foundation. I only use this under my eyes (I don't like to coer up my whole face daily) so you need a good color match, but the coverage is better than any cream concealer I've tried and it stays on all day. No creasing either.
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I find that every concealer I try ends up with creases at the end of the day. Then it looks like I am trying to hide dark circles. if I could find one that doesn't that would be great.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Janis, I don't know of an online application guide, but the book Bobbi Brown Beauty has some good information about how to cover dark circles.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi Janis - I just recently started using MMU (Jane Iredale Pressed Base). And because coverage is so good (never wore foundation before, after trying so many different products and not liking the feel of them on my skin) I've almost completely stopped using concealer, even for the purplish semi-circles at the inner corners of my eyes. What I've been doing for them is applying ample moisture in that area and with a soft eyeshadow brush, dusting those purple areas with the MMU. It's concealing them better than anything else I've tried so far. If I overdo the powder, I moisten my Taklon concealer brush and go over it lightly to smooth it out.

I've heard people rave over and over about Cle de Peau, if you'd prefer a regular creamy concealer. I haven't tried it though.
Sheridan

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi there! I've been lurking for a while but this is my very first post! I have incorporated some products suggested here into my ever-expanding routine, thanks to all of you!

I, too, suffer from thin skin under my eye area, and as a result, my veins truly stand out, appearing as if I haven't slept in a week! I have just recently found the *perfect* concealer that covers them up perfectly! It is called Smooth Indulgence Cover Duet Custom Corrector by Dermablend, a dual-tipped concealer with yellow on one end and pink on the other. I apply my foundation as usual, and then I mix a tiny bit of my foundation with a drop of the pink concealer on a stainless steel pallette. I then lightly tap this mixture right over my foundation under my eyes and voila! The pink cancels out the brown/black color and I look well-rested and fabulous! I use the yellow mixture on top of red marks and blemishes.

I usually purchase this from Ulta, although I believe you can purchase directly from Dermablend, as well. This yellow/pink combo is available in three selections: Light, Medium and Dark. The directions inside the box say to mix the two colors together to get your perfect concealer color. I haven't tried that yet, but just use the pink and yellow "straight-up" on my flaws.

Just in case you were wondering, Smooth Indulgence is NOTHING like the thick, dry Dermablend that may come to mind. It is their creamy, hydrating line of cosmetics that makes my skin appear absolutely flawless! I mix the Smooth Indulgence Foundation with a bit of a radiance foundation and feel confident that my skin looks great!

I hope that helps some! Let me know if you have any questions!

NW20 skin; Wash with Olive Oil Cleansing Method alternated with Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream; Lavender Witch Hazel; Kinerase; LRP Fluide Extreme SPF50+; Tazorac; TCA Peels every few months by my dermatologist.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have the exact problem and can relate! For years, I've tried random concealers, mostly drugstore brands and some high end as well. I find that you really need to moisturize with eye cream first. Then use a more liquidy concealer for light coverage and creamier version for heavy coverage. I thought I found my HG when I used Shiseido's creamy concealer, I loved the heavy coverage because I really need it! Then I started using MAC's select cover up (i think that's the name) in the EXACT shade as my skin, not a shade lighter, and I love it. It looks natural and surprisingly covers well (even though it is more liquid than cream), and it does not crease! Amazing! So now I am all for finding concealer of the exact color of your skin rather than using a color that's 'closest to your skin color' which occurrs way too much as most brands only offer several shades of concealer. I suggest you stop at a MAC counter and try it before you buy it Smile

In terms of application:
-eye cream first, sink in
-apply concealer with brush and blend well! However, I am lazy and don't have a lot of morning time so I use my index finger:)
-it is important to put it in the space that is the darkest, usually directly/near your inner eye corners
-also put some along the inner corners to wake up the eye and along the bottlw lashes. I mean the skin, not the lashes Laughing
-blend blend! especially blend away the edges until it merges with your skin and you can't tell there's still an edge.

Hope that helps!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
it depends on whats causing it, sometimes makeup will help a little, sometimes surgery,I have seen fat grafts under the eye that totally took away the dark circle,hollowness look.
susanv3
5% products discount

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
my undereye circles are mainly caused by thining of the skin over the years so the veinyness shows through--anyways i, like so many of you have tried everything (and have the drawerful of products to show for it as well) and my personal HG (or as close as it gets)comes down to two products...

from their "Magic" line Prescriptives has some cover correcting crayons-- the base color ones come in several colors--the one i use is the Blue Corrector--it is a peachy skin shade--i think i costs about 15 dollars. I draw right over the dark areas under my eyes (afer moisturising!) this can not be worn alone as it is a corrector step, so i follow it with...

Touche Magique anti-fatigue concealer pen by Loreal--i use warm beige and it costs about 11 dollars. I apply right over the corrector crayon, blend lightly with my ring finger and voila!! makes them almost invisible--a real world of difference! it also has staying power--doesnt seem to budge even when i sweat!

I have tried Cle de Peau, and although it is a good product (i do know some swear by it), the cost is prohibitive, and not a perfect solution for me, even if it were cheaper. The above products are not heavy or "mask" like, can be worn during the day, and do not settle into my fine lines. I also like MAC select cover up, and Prescriptives Camouflage Cream (depending on the season) for when i feel i need an extra boost.

as far as brightening creams, nothing i ever tried seemed to do much for me, exept brighten my wrinkles! maybe someone out there has had more luck with them than I...
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I also suffer from the same problem. Currently I'm using the Prescriptives Flawless Skin concealer with SPF25. I think it provides really nice coverage and doesn't get too cakey under my eyes. Not perfect though, but I'm happy enough with it right now. I'd like to try the correcting crayons from Prescriptives that susanv3 talked about. I also have on order the Benefit Eye Bright pencil ... I was hoping that might help alittle as well.

I have been using the Avene Ystheal+ eye cream for about a month and sometimes I think it's helping to "plump" up my under eye area so the dark isn't as visible, and other times I'm not so sure. Time will tell I guess!
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to dry a drugstore brand, I just purchased Physicians Formula coverToxTen. It is in a tube with a brush at the end. It has GABA and something else to help short and long term. Lately I have been using just mineral makeup because everything else seems to make the wrinkles worse. But this is pretty good, better coverage than the MMU and no wrinkles. I would like it to be a bit more concealing, but it is the best I have found so far. I got fairly light and it is a bit too light, so I am going back for the next darker color. It's only $5-$6 at Walgreens on sale, so no big loss if I switch back.
I think the real test was using it on the back of my hand, it didn't make my hands look older, and most things really show up on your hands so I like to test there. Worth trying anyway for the price.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |