Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
please recommend some products for my breakouts
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
breakouts on my forehead never stops, even though i am 32, not a teenager anymore, can someone recommend some products for me please? i applied tea tree oil on them, ok the blemishs are gone but my skin is still very grumpy. how can i completely eliminate them?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Hello dear...perhaps post your current routine so the fabulous experts (I don't include myself in this group...Laughing) could help incorporate some stuff.

What do you use as an exfoliator?
Are you oily?
Congested?

Stuff like that Smile My Decleor Essential balm (one week a month...the other three weeks I use the Ylang Ylang balm) coupled with a blemish clearing product (like Mario Badescu drying cream, Juice Beauty Blemish clearing serum) at night works wonders on me the next morning.
I myself need to get an exfoliator into the mix, so I'm waiting for my Ice Elements 2 minute miracle exfoliating gel samples. I'm hoping this might be the extra boost my skin needs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Grace, I'm 42 with oily skin, large pores and the occasional zit once a month - this is an improvement from where I was 4 years ago when I stopped taking birth control pill. I tried all the drug store acne treatments, proactive, clinique and finally settled on Murad. The clarifying cleanser, toner and moisturizing treatment have done wonders!

I've heard that a lot of people have had real bad reactions to Murad, so be sure to buy it from Sephora or someplace that'll offer you your money back if it doesn't work for you.

Mario Bodescu cucumber lotion is a relatively good toner, and witch hazel can soothe irritated skin ( although it doesn't do anything to shrink pores ) Exfoliation on a daily basis is good for oily skin, probably not so good for drier skin types.

Good luck, you're certain to get a lot of great advice on this forum! Very Happy
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:28 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika and athena123, thank you both for your kind advices. having read some of the reviews in this forum. I went to Sephora during lunch time and bought Juicy beauty blemish clearing serum. I also requested a sample of Dr. Hauschka's face steam bath and clay mask, nomalizing oil, declor's ylang ylang oil. I am going to try them at home tonight.

Paris to answer your question about my daily routine, it is pretty standard as everyone else, cleanser, serum (cellex-c Hydra-B) or Remergent DNA Repair Serum, then Clarins multi-active creams or Sisley intensive creams. I do exfoliating 3 times a week and have facials done every other week.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
go to the mario badescu website and fill out their form where they ask you about your skin type -- they'll send you a bunch of samples, including the drying cream which a couple of people have already mentioned. It does help a lot (I have the same issue. It's important not to dry out too much, or you'll jsut get red and irritated.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
go to the mario badescu website and fill out their form where they ask you about your skin type -- they'll send you a bunch of samples, including the drying cream which a couple of people have already mentioned. It does help a lot (I have the same issue. It's important not to dry out too much, or you'll jsut get red and irritated.

I went there, didnt find anyplace to request for samples, but i am in Canada,dont think they will ship to canada anyways..
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
i also recommend the Mario Badescu stuff. The Enyzme Cleanser, Drying Mask and Drying Cream take care of my breakouts fast.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
gracedhy wrote:
waffle wrote:

I went there, didnt find anyplace to request for samples, but i am in Canada,dont think they will ship to canada anyways..

They ship to Canada and the samples are free (no shipping charge). You have to click "consultation" up top where the tabs are. You fill out a questionnaire and they send products suitable for your skintype. MB didn't work for me and none of the above mention has worked for me. I don't get much acne now but I get a lot of bumpy clogged pores so I just purchased a Clarisonic. For me it was finding the right cleansers (primavera), Earth to Body Clay-Neem Treatment and my Escents Acne Gel. The drying cream really clogged my pores - when I have it on it just felt like my skin couldn't breathe, I hated it so much. The drying mask is OK, it works as well as my old Proactiv refining mask as a spot treatment. The enzyme cleanser didn't leave my skin feeling clean, the toner had too much alcohol in it. Basically I didn't like any of the MB stuff. Oh and since you got samples I suggest you start with the YY oil first, once your skin gets used to the oil you can try the Dr.H. The Dr.H oil is much more moisturizing than the YY and your skin might break out at first as I've read that some people have. But it depends on your skintype.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
a note about Mario Badescu's recommendations...I tested it once, filling out the consultation twice, once had it shipped home, the other to work...SAME answers...and I got very different products and samples shipped to me.

It all depends on who reads your questionnaire. Don't let their conclusions be the "be all end all" for your MB experience Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I did the questionnaire, it only gave me a list of recommended products for purchasing, i didnt see where i can request to send the samples.
thanks for your advice on ylang oils and Dr.H, i will try in that order!
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
have you tried benzoyl peroxide products? These can be very drying, but the folks at Acne.org sell a very nice 2.5% gel that sinks in well and that is less drying than most over-the-counter BP products.

something else that works well are AHA and BHA products. i am finding that using salicylic acid products (Exfol serum applied as a "leave-on" product and/or 5% salicylic acid applied as a toner) along with mandelic acid are keeping my skin clear. They haven't cleared up all of my blackheads, but I haven't had problems with new zits for a while.

With any of these actives that can dry (or over-dry) my skin, I have to be careful to moisturize--otherwise my skin gets dry and irritated and more blemishprone. I like a mixture of emu oil and hyaluronic serum for moisturization without any clogging of my pores. The emu oil in particular is very soothing and keeps my skin "calm."

In terms of "calm" versus "grumpy" skin, I think that cleansers can actually play a big role. Cleansers that have harsh detergents (SLS, ASLS, SDS, etc.) and/or high pH (>7) can irritate your skin and make you more blemish-prone. Using a gentle cleanser at neutral or acidic pH can do a lot to "calm" your skin.

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Priscilla wrote:
have you tried benzoyl peroxide products? These can be very drying, but the folks at Acne.org sell a very nice 2.5% gel that sinks in well and that is less drying than most over-the-counter BP products.

something else that works well are AHA and BHA products. i am finding that using salicylic acid products (Exfol serum applied as a "leave-on" product and/or 5% salicylic acid applied as a toner) along with mandelic acid are keeping my skin clear. They haven't cleared up all of my blackheads, but I haven't had problems with new zits for a while.

With any of these actives that can dry (or over-dry) my skin, I have to be careful to moisturize--otherwise my skin gets dry and irritated and more blemishprone. I like a mixture of emu oil and hyaluronic serum for moisturization without any clogging of my pores. The emu oil in particular is very soothing and keeps my skin "calm."

In terms of "calm" versus "grumpy" skin, I think that cleansers can actually play a big role. Cleansers that have harsh detergents (SLS, ASLS, SDS, etc.) and/or high pH (>7) can irritate your skin and make you more blemish-prone. Using a gentle cleanser at neutral or acidic pH can do a lot to "calm" your skin.

good to know that, do you use make-up remover before cleansers? even though i dont put on makeups but people told me i should always use make-up remover to clean up, otherwise we can get breakouts. I use Sisly's all day all year as my SPF protection in the winter, i was wondering maybe i didn't do the cleaning enough.
i did try some benzoyl peroxide products, my family doctor prescribed that to me. it is white cream and left white mark on my forehead, i can't apply it during the day. it is very drying too.
trianglefish
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I also have the same problem. I've tried many acne products. they worked at first for a few weeks/month, then I didn't see that much effect later. I don't know if it is because my skin got 'immune' to them after a while or not... Crying or Very sad I've decided to try some HA products and see how they will work
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
I don't wear makeup and so haven't had to worry about this. When I do wear a high SPF, high SPD sunscreen (Bioderma AKN spray), then I do worry about cleaning it all off of my skin at day's end. In the past month or so, I have been experimenting with the Oil Cleansing Method, which removes EVERYTHING and is also moisturizing. Since the weather has turned cold and drying, the extra moisturization that comes with this cleansing method has been nice for my skin.

Prior to OCM, I was using a Wheatgerm Oil Castile cleanser and an AHA cleanser that I ordered from skincarecentral.biz. The wheatgerm castile cleanser is pH 7.5, which is a little higher than I would like but, importantly, doesn't irritate my skin. The AHA cleanser is one with rosehip oil castile and lactic acid. It is low pH and didn't irritate my skin. I liked both of these a lot, but moved on to OCM because now that I have stopped getting pimples, I want to work on clearing my pores. I had experimented with salicylic acid and mandelic acid before, but had horrible results--in retrospect, I think because I was over-drying my skin and irritating the heck out of it. When I recently resumed my use of salicylic acid and mandelic products, I stopped using the AHA cleanser because I didn't want to over-do my exposure to acids and irritate my skin. So far, my skin is doing well with OCM + acids + good moisturization with emu oil and HA serum. My blackheads are not better (yet), but they aren't worse and the current treatment is not upsetting my skin so I am going to continue with these products and see how it goes.

If you wanted to try either the wheatgerm castile or AHA cleansers, you can buy samples from skincarecentral. That way, if they don't work for you, you haven't wasted $ on a full-sized container.

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Just popping in to recommend the Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion for cystic acne, if you get it. No, it doesn't make them go away overnight. But I apply it nightly when I first get one and they never get to the point of being painful and they do go away quicker when I use this product. The pink Drying Lotion didn't do anything for me.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Priscilla, how do you know the PH level of a cleasner? is it written somewhere? i've never pay attention to this, maybe i should have a good cheak at my cleansers at home tonight.
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Gracedhy,
Some websites post the pH of the cleansers. Kathleen at skincarecentral does this, as does DianaYvonne. If it's ever not listed, I email the vendor to find out. Places with good customer service will usually be able to tell you, I think. If all else fails, you can also test the pH yourself using pH strips (available from places like Garden of Wisdom) or using a pH meter. The meter is more accurate, but not everyone has access to one.
HTH
priscilla

trianglefish
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:54 am      Reply with quote
This is the best forum I've ever been to. I have the same question. And I think I will be spending some time on research and $$ soon. Surprised
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:13 am      Reply with quote
i agree that this is a wonderful forum. i have learned sooooo much from all of the helpful people here. i love people's willingness to help one another out. i also love that EDS gives us an open forum. there is so much variablity in our skin types that it is REALLY educational to have access to information about what works for different people's skin types. i like seeing the range of products available and the range of responses that we all have.

I also love the homemade/DIY goodies that people make on this forum! Very Happy

gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Priscilla, you are so right, i am using Dove foaming cleasner now , and someone told me it's PH is about 7, maybe that irritates me? i am going to buy the PH test paper in drug store. by the way, i heard many people talk about Dr.H cleasing milk, is that worth trying? i thoght that is for dry skin. my skin is comination/oily. thanks!
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Priscilla wrote:
Gracedhy,
Some websites post the pH of the cleansers. Kathleen at skincarecentral does this, as does DianaYvonne. If it's ever not listed, I email the vendor to find out. Places with good customer service will usually be able to tell you, I think. If all else fails, you can also test the pH yourself using pH strips (available from places like Garden of Wisdom) or using a pH meter. The meter is more accurate, but not everyone has access to one.
HTH
priscilla

Priscilla, would you mind telling me the website where they publish the PH of the cleansers?
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
gracedhy wrote:

Priscilla, would you mind telling me the website where they publish the PH of the cleansers?

Gracedhy,
skincarecentral.biz posts the pH's of the cleansers that it sells (but not of all cleansers). Likewise, Dianayvonne.com lists the pH's of the cleansers that it sells. I don't know of a website that gives out comprehensive pH information for all cleansers on the market.

pH 7.0 shouldn't be irritating your skin...this is neutral pH. I think it's when the pH is > 7 that you worry. If your cleanser has harsh detergents in it (e.g., sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, etc.) then these might be irritating your skin.

I haven't tried Dr. Hauschka's cleansing milk. I have read on this Forum that it is very gentle.

HTH.
priscilla

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |