Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can U recommend Oil control and mattifier that really works?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've been browsing this board for the last month or so and finding a lot of great advice! Hoping someone has suggestions for me.

I'm 42, super oily skin/large pores and blemish prone around my moon cycle - I have tiny crows feet around my eyes and forehead lines I want to minimize as well. My problem is the shiny T-zone within 4-5 hours into the day.

If I could, I wouldn't wear any foundation at all but the products that make up my am skincare repertoire leaves it shiny and once the oil builds up it's a mess! Even on weekends I feel like I need to dust at least a light layer of MMU before heading out the door... Does the miracle product exist that can help me?

I need something that meets the following criteria - am I asking for too much? Confused

1. mattify right after am routine to reduce the shine right away
2. control oil throughout the day
3. won't clog pores
4. will allow skin to breathe, easy to remove
5. good for oily / sensitive skin
6. did I mention that I don't want anything that'll clog my pores? Very Happy

What I've tried to date:

1. Blotting sheets - both cornstarch and silk - work to a limited extent, but sometimes it just pushes the oily foundation around and I have to dust some more foundation on top of it.
2. Proactive Mattifying gel - ineffective for the price
3. Phillip Thomas Roth Mattifying gel - works for a few hours but has to be reapplied
4. Clarins UV Plus - could have killed 2 birds with one stone - mineral sunscreen + mattifying. Works great as a sunscreen, but does nothing about the mattifying.
5. Bare Minerals - Made my face itch
6. Cosmedicine - Mattifying lotion - works great to mattify the skin and it reduced the shine for 5-6 hours but unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives. The negatives...
- offers SPF 20, chemical instead of physical sunscreen
- tons of silicone in this product. Creates a barrier. If skin can't breathe that can't be good, can it?
- couldn't STAND the way it balled up if I rubbed my face. Must be that barrier thing. Also made for a difficult surface for applying mineral makeup
7. straight cornstarch out of sheer desperation, I looked like a ghost and it clogged my pores Sad

Current am regimen -

1. Murad Clarifying cleanser
2. Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating cleanser
3. Derma Doctor Picture Perfect Pore reducer [this is relatively new to my routine, still not sure if I like it]
4. Murad essential C eyecream
5. Murad skin perfect lotion
6. DDF - organic sunscreen - SPF30, mineral
7. Every Day minerals finishing dust, then EDM foundation, then finishing dust again.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I can't fulfill all of your criteria with this suggestion, but Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion works very well as a mattifier. But it is hard to remove (must use a cleansing oil) and may clog pores unless it is completely removed.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
From what I know and what I have heard from SAs and beauticians if you have oily skin, getting oily after 4-5 hours is normal. That was how I was too - but don't get depressed, there is a way! What worked for me was Decleor's Ylang Ylang oil - it's not a mattifier but it BALANCES your skin so after some time of use your skin will start to produce less oil and eventually you won't have to blot until after 6-7 hours and at the end maybe you won't even have to blot at all! For me I used to produce tons of oil now with if I'm out for the whole day w/makeup on I only need to blot once and even that once is a lot less oil than what I had before. And I mean even those with minimal oily skin will have to blot once if they're out for more than 12 hours! You could also try the mattifying fluid along with the YY oil - it's supposed to work as a dual. I know ParisTroika loves this duo, I personally have never used the mattifying fluid but in your case I don't think you could go wrong giving it a try (you've already tried so many products!). Along with those 2 skincare products after makeup I suggest a dusting of Jurlique's Silk dust to set your makeup and mattify your face - it also keeps the oilies away. It doesn't leave a white cast and is very effective. None of these products will clog your pores, but the main thing is to balance your skin. You should also look into carekate's regime for oily skin, it seems to work for her and a lot of other people - it should be somewhere on the DIY thread. She uses Milk of Magnesia (the laxative) as a primer and apparently it works very well to control oil for all who have used it. Basically you could try all the above suggestions as I think the most effective is always a combination of products instead of just one product.

The oil could be incorporated after your toner (not sure if you use one, but it's best absorbed on damp skin) and the decleor mattifying fluid is also a moisturizer so I assume it could either replace one of your products or be used right before sunscreen. Milk of Magnesia as a primer so after sunscreen. And silk dust as your finishing dust instead of the EM finishing dust.

Btw, I noticed you used EM - I would like to mention EM makes my skin more oily than other makeup faster. I tried EM both matte and intensive formulas and both left my skin oily quite quickly which doesn't happen with my old regular lancome makeup. Right now I use Alima and it's great! Totally doesn't make my skin oily at all and the finish is more matte than with EM but still leaves a nice healthy glow. Just telling you my experience with EM.
hlg22
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem - my skin gets shiny before I've even finished putting my makeup on!! I've always had to blot repeatedly with blotting papers or MAC Blot Powder throughout the day. Recently, however, I've started using two things that I read about on this board that have done WONDERS for controlling the shine. First, I apply a layer of Milk of Magnesia mixed with a few drops of water with a makeup sponge, before applying my makeup. After my makeup is on, I dust with CareKate's silk dust, which is similar to the Jurlique Silk Dust. The two in combination have kept me virtually shine-free all day, which has never happened before. I'm also planning on trying to incorporate Declor's Ylang Ylang Oil as people here seem to have had much luck with it normalizing oil production. There are a few threads that have some more information about the MOM and silk dust - try doing a search for "Milk of Magnesia" and you should find them. Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Haha...yay! My first mention of my favorites in someone else's post Smile Thanks sormuimui!!!!

As for the Decleor Mattifying fluid...I'm currently on my two week experiment to see if it's really helping keep me matte.

The other "oily fighters" that I KNOW make a difference:

Decleor YY oil (naturally)...as sormuimui said this is not an immediate fix...it takes time to balance but it has worked wonders for me!

Sofina Nuance Up sunscreen (love it!)
I think the Jurlique Calendula is working well too...

I'm going to add silk dust in lieu of when my Finishing powder is done...thought about Jurlique but everyone keeps mentioning CareKate!!! I'm going to PM her and get the scoop!!!

I also use EM (what sormuimui mentioned) but it works well for me...I sandwich...Finishing dust, foundation, finishing dust.

So there are things that you can do ASAP to help, but also think about doing something more long term, like Decleor YY oil or Balm at night.

HTH!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
You should also look into carekate's regime for oily skin, it seems to work for her and a lot of other people - it should be somewhere on the DIY thread. She uses Milk of Magnesia (the laxative) as a primer and apparently it works very well to control oil for all who have used it.

Here's the link to my oil-control regimen:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7244&highlight=battle+plan - I believe pg 2 contains my updated/current regimen but the three must-have products to control excess sebum are:

1) Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang oil (or homemade version)

2) Milk of Magnesia used as a mattifier/primer and

3) Jurlique Silk Dust (or homemade version).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I don't like the shine on my face either. Since I used Dr. Feel Good from Benefit, I think my oily face problem got under control by quite a bit. it is a creamalm that you apply before foundation. I don't think it really cures the oily problem, but it does make my face look less oily during the day.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie,

What do you use for sunscreen, and how does that affect your oiliness-intervention program?
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies, thank you all for your suggestions for a tough request!

Nijey, I sampled Shiseido but didn't like the chemical sunscreen, prefer mineral blocks instead

sormuimui sp? Thanks so much for the time you spent on your suggestions - re: I've been reading a lot about Ylang Ylang on this forum and I guess I suffer from the misconception that a girl shouldn't put any oil on an already oily surface - I'll have to rethink that! Smile Milk of Magnesia, are you kidding it doesn't clog your pores and it mattifies the skin and won't react badly with all the other junk I use? I love it! Wouldn't it be too funny if such and inexpensive and common drugstore staple would beat out all the designer products I've been throwing on my face? Smile

hlg22, Paris you've talked me into it- gonna try the MOM, Ylang ylang and silk dust. BTW, I had this problem with oily before I switched to EDM - the EDM actually improved things. I also hear Every Day is coming out with a balancing powder supposed to be good for oily skin so I suppose I'll have to try that too... Smile

Carekate, thanks so much for sharing - I took a look at the link you included and found DIY recipes for Ylang Ylang oil and all the other good stuff you have posted you are truly a wunderkind! Only $$ I'll need to spend money on will be the silk dust and I'll probably PM you once I figure out how Smile

I'll let you know how this works, thanks again!
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Athena - I just discovered this website yesterday & am so-o-o-o happy.
I'm 64, had such oily skin in my 'youth' that mum said I looked like I'd been dipped in chicken fat (she was right). Had ALL the problems associated with such skin...breakouts,large pores...the works. Nothing was available back then but have since learned of a good home remedy used thruout Mediterranean countries - make a semi-moist poltice of water & salt (I can hear 'yuk' from here)...but it makes sense. Salt is an absorbant. Learned this from a young lady whose skin I complimented..was of Italian origin, same skin problem. Her grandmother told her how to keep her skin clear and less oily using this method. In fact she washed her whole face with salt!! I could see she had thick oily prone skin but it was radiant & clear & she credited the salt. For myself, I used a Dr Hauschka product (forgot name-don't need it now) & Sisley's Resin Tropicals. Still had to blot after several hrs-found paper serviettes worked best, believe it or not. BUT,& I know you don't want to hear this cuz I never did either, don't worry so much about it. Believe me, when you're my age, 64+, & you still have no wrinkles & you can pass for 45 you'll realize it was a blessing all along. You were just too young to realize it. If all you have to do is blot thruout the day to really keep the shine down but are rewarded with unlined skin when all your friends, mostly 10 yrs younger, look almost your age, it's a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things. Besides, while I always thot I looked like I was swimming in oil, several people told me enviously,my skin always looked like satin - how did I do it?

So let the oil flow, use something if you want, continue blotting, but the lessen I learned was 'hey, this oil stuff is natures GIFT'. Very Happy

Cheers, Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
Carrie,

What do you use for sunscreen, and how does that affect your oiliness-intervention program?

At the risk of repeating myself ad nausuem (which I do plenty enough of around here anyway!), I’ve taken the liberty of cutting/pasting the following response I’ve previously made on the subject of sunscreen (the topic was “what’s a good sunscreen for the hair” but it still offers the silient points....)
carekate wrote:
Okay, I have a confession to make:

I’m sort of a hypocrite when it comes to using sunscreen for skin and/or hair but I have a good reason – or, at least, they sound perfectly logical in my head Exclamation :

I go to work literally before the sun comes up (4am) and by the time I leave the sun has nearly set.

Because of my heritage, I have extremely fair skin to the point where I actually ‘burst into flames’ (read: severe sunburn/blistering) if I spend more than 5 minutes in sunlight without protection. And because there is nothing I hate in the world more than getting a sunburn I absolutely AVOID daylight whenever I can. I don’t do any gardening/yardwork. I don’t sunbathe. When I go outside to smoke a cigarette, I’m either doing so while standing/sitting under an umbrella or the protection of a giant shade-tree. The point I’m trying to get across is that I believe that I don’t spend enough time in the sun for me to actual need to worry about using a sunscreen for face or hair!

So perhaps it’s I’m playing with fire (!), but I don’t use an additional sunscreen on my face beyond the 17-SPF provided by my True Cosmetics brand mineral makeup foundation and I depend upon the UVA/UVB protection that is “built in” to one of my holy grail styling products, Paves Professional “Flawless In the Spotlight Greaseless Essential Oil Shine Serum for Dry, Damaged Hair” which contains good/healthy stuff for my hair including jojoba oil and sesame oil, as well as numerous essential oils and herbal extracts. Believe it or not, jojoba oil alone has an inherent SPF of 4, as does sesame oil and certain EOs which just happen to be included in my Paves Shine Serum!

But my biggest reason for not using an additional sunscreen beyond that provided by my "nocturnal" ways and from my mineral makeup, as simply because I've yet to locate one that didn't upset the delicate balance of maintaining a shine-free face and turn my already greasy-hide into a dead-ringer for the U.S. Strategic Oil Reserves!!!

One of these days, I’d LOVE to try the Sofina whatever whatever sunscreen that my other oily-skinned sisters-in-arms have raved about, but as of this point, I’ve never quite gotten around to trying to track it down and order some (remember, I only get 30 minutes per day of internet access so I don’t have a lot of time to aimlessly wander the web, searching for a source to buy a single product – unless it’s something that I’m trying to track down for someone for a CP request or something...).

If anyone would be willing to decant a tiny sample of this Sofina sunscreen stuff for me to try, I’d be happy to pay for it so please let me know if you can help me out!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
[quote="carekate: If anyone would be willing to decant a tiny sample of this Sofina sunscreen stuff for me to try, I’d be happy to pay for it so please let me know if you can help me out![/quote]

Carrie -- I PM'd you Smile

Marla

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Carrie -

I've wanted to try sofina too, but i can only find it on japanese sites and I'm always so cautious of ordering from outside the US for some reason. It looks pretty expensive (for my budget) too. I've been using Avene's Lait, but it seems a tad too....shiny for me.

*sigh*

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Arya2 for your kind reminder. I do tell myself that at least I'll benefit from massive oil slicks by looking younger longer. As it is, I actually receive a lot of complements from seemingly flawless skinned women that I have beautiful complexion. I suppose I ruin that when I look around to see who they're talking to! Smile And yes, when I'm mistaken for 32 instead of 42 it pleases me as well.

It seems like we're destined never to be satisfied with what we have. Oily skinned women suffer in their teens, twenties and early years, while normal skinned women tend to suffer the ravages of age in their later years. Straight haired ladies wish they had curls while curly hair wishes they had straight..... Tall, willowy builds wish they had the petite china doll look and vice versa sigh.... Wink

Tried the Milk of Magnesia thing this morning. I need practice with this one, wound up with streaks! But once I removed them, here is is almost lunch time and I haven't had to blot yet!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Tried the Milk of Magnesia thing this morning. I need practice with this one, wound up with streaks!
You only need to apply the THINNEST layer and -- if it makes it easier -- you can dilute the MoM with water for a 1:1 ratio. Also, a bottle of MoM has a tendency to thicken after awhile -- this is perfectly normal and all you need to do as add some distilled or bottled water to it to re-liquify it and then shake well.

ETA: If you do end up with streaks on your face, just moisten your fingers with water (or spit if it's an emergency!) and wipe over the streaks to smooth them out. Even after all these years, I still apply my MoM with too heavy a hand from time to time so practice doesn't always make perfect! Just make sure to check in a mirror for streaks before applying the rest of your makeup....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I must chuckle w/ pleasure at the MOM therapy. It really confirms the belief of many that home-made & natural remedies are often the best for less serious skin problems.

Athena, while I didn't mention this in my first posting, I'm assuming that you follow good dietary habits: no processed foods, high intake of fresh greens/fruits, consumption of water high & alcohol low (some wine is ok) no fast foods or those tempting but deadly snack foods, even the most delicious pizzas are a rare treat, NO soft drinks, & pastries, sugars, & caffeine are occasional treats ONLY. Besides, all these things totally deaden the taste buds as well as the arteries etc.

It sounds very harsh when spelled out in black & white, but have learned that all these translate into 'gushers' & worse. Thankfully, my father raised us to eat very healthy foods so after my youthful rebellion into the world of junk food, it was easy for me to return to good habits at 30. Can't believe what people put into their mouths/bodies that they think is food.

And if you think my eating habits means I live a boring ol' life, I can assure you otherwise. I'm the only me & you are the only you: it pays to be selective in life about
everything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Carekate, the Sophina is absolutely wonderful for controlling oil. I use it now along w/Mary Kay's (ugh, I know, the only I like from MK) Mattifier. These work very well together to keep me from being a major oil slick but don't totally dry me out, either.

I wore them yesterday and after a 10-hour day, I only had the very slightest shine break through and nothing that a little blotting didn't cure; there was no need for more powder and I did not reapply any makeup except lipstick all day - this is huge for me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I feel the same way about the Sofina. It's a god-send for oily-skinned gals.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Am a new member & in no way wish to deaden excitement re CareKate's oil control regime, ( cuz I have an oil well under my hide, oops skin) but just a word of caution re the Vit A tablets.

Had been taking tablets for about 6 mos. & started feeling crummy. Didn't make any connection to Vit A. Crummy turned to ugh, & ugh turned to hell, & hell turned to 'feel like i'm dying'. When I arrived @ doctor's, she too thot i was dying when she looked at me.

To make long & sorry story short, Vit A tablets were too much for my system, developing a very toxic reaction. Turns out they severely weakened my liver which was already sensitive thru genetic weakness from mother (unknown to me & whole family). All this revealed via DNA tests. Have had so many have lost count. Thank god for Canada's health care system & a wonderful specialist here in Ottawa under whose care I remain to this day.

I have been very
ill at times & am a HEP B carrier, but thank god never contagious.

It's just a word of caution - I had no idea I was sensitive to Vit A until it was too late. The fallout can be serious, even deadly.

Even now I eat few carrots/tomatoes & other foods high in Vit A. And tablets? only if i want to join the angels in a long, drawn out, extremely painful manner.
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Another suggestion: some sort of oil to normalize your skin's sebum production. I've had some success with jojoba oil, which is supposed to mimic your skin's natural oils, and others have used things like Dr. Hauschka's Normalizing Day Oil and Clarin's Lotus Oil with some success. These are great because you get a bit of the moisture that even you, as an oily-skinned gal, needs, but they trick your skin into (over time) slowing down the oil production.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
oh,your skin must be no line and wrinkle.
i think you could try Palladio rice powder
its texture is fine,and no talc.
the important thing is it's very cheap.
Cool
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Being repetitive ...

I used to use Milk of Magnesia and carried Boscia blotting sheets but I gotta say that Carekate's silk dust has kept me shine free all day.

I wasn't really expecting that ... but it did.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I love this thread! I have been on the lookout for an easy to do treatment for my oily-skin friends. You guys rock! Especially with the cheapier primer - MOM is even cool as an acronym Laughing.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |