Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Tinpep Hand Cream Large (114 g / 4 oz)
A new(?) easy way to combat millia!!

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2004 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
I had never paid a great deal of attention to the millia issue until a certain Murad product earlier this week gave me reason to try and find something effective to rid myself of it.

Fortunately, today I had an appointment with my dermatologist, whom I adore. He serves on the diplomate american board of dermatology, is a brilliant organic chemist, and has always been honest and candid about answering questions. So today I took advantage of asking him, "Is laser really the only way of ridding oneself of millia?"

My doctor just smiled, and said (nearly verbatim), "Well, many dermatologists would like you to think that, especially since it's a money racket. But it's not the case. What I will always swear by and have told my patients to use, and it has always been successful, is extra gentle baby shampoo with no color, fragrance, or anything. Actually, the best product you can use for millia is DHS clear shampoo. You should use it to clean your eyelashes and eye area every day to clear up the oil and bacteria. And I personally don't recommend using any eye creams, but that's just me. And if there are a couple rogue spots left over on patients that have more serious cases of it, we can always snip them."

After that, he went into a brief explanation of why it works which made a lot of since. It made me think of how many babies develop millia and then generally lose it after a while.

He gave me a few samples of the shampoo to try. DHS shampoos can be found in most compounding pharmacies or stand-alone pharmacies that carry more specialty items than just your average Walgreens. I've found many pharmacies around where I live that carry it, and it averages about $20 for a large-size bottle (my mom has used it on her hair when her scalp was sensitive.)

I used it for my first time tonight, and was told to give it a couple of weeks to clear. So I'll keep ya posted on how it works!! *crosses fingers*
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2004 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I know this is kind of early, but I'm already seeing great results with this, and I never EVER would have suspected it!! The bumps underneath my eye are almost completely gone in just a matter of days, but the few millia I had were pretty small to begin with (only I could even really notice them.) The only larger bump I had is already barely even noticeable up close.

If anyone else tries the DHS shampoo, I'm curious to see if they have equally as successful results. I'm personally not going to use baby shampoo since I already have this and know it works for me. But if anyone really needs a solution and doesn't want to resort to laser, this is definitely worth a shot.

Unfortunately the teeny-tiny red bumps in the corners of my eyes haven't changed much, yet, but after an earlier post from Mabsy I'm inclined to agree with her that those aren't actually millia. My doc said to give it a few weeks, and I plan to continue using this stuff nightly like he said, so maybe it'll work in time!
Mabsy

Fri May 07, 2004 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rusalka,

Glad to hear this is working well for you!

Does DHS actually stand for anything? I've had a look but I don't think it's stocked in Australia. Though I'm sure there are plenty of baby shampoos on the market Smile

Please keep us updated with the results....

Mabsy
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2004 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there!

Yep, DHS stands for "Dermatological Hair and Scalp." I had to look that up on the website that was listed on the back of the professional sample and I discovered, lo and behold, that they actually sell the product on their website. Smile (And now I'm grumpy after discovering how much the mark-up in one pharmacy I buy it from is, too! Wink)

Their website is http://www.personandcovey.com/home.html if you'd like to check it out!
Mabsy

Fri May 07, 2004 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rusalka, wow, it is much cheaper on there! And of course, they don't ship to countries other than the US Not talking

I might check out a few chemists here, just out of curiosity to see if they stock it. Couldn't find anything online here though.

Mabsy
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2004 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Rusalka,
how interesting! how are your eyes looking? Hope their good Smile
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2004 7:33 am      Reply with quote
for those of us not in the US what is the magic ingredient that does the trick so we can look for an equivalent?
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 27, 2004 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Honestly, I think the trick is that there *isn't* a particular ingredient. From what I gathered from talking to the dermatologist, what is ultimately needed is a cleanser that is so pure and devoid of fragrance, color, and as much of everything else (in terms of extra ingredients) as possible so that it is delicate for the sensitive eye and can better release and pick up the oil from the comodones. He was saying the gentlest baby shampoo as a default, because it is the purest cleanser.

It's not perfect, but my eyes look great (aside from the dark circles... mmm... sleep-dep). There will likely be a few isolated tiny bumps that persist, but it does leave the area smooth and clean-feeling overall.
escents
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
-rusalka-,

Don't baby shampoos have more conditioners in them that gives more oil to your eyes which causes milia? Is baby johnson shampoos good for milia? Because I don't think that DHS shampoos are selling in Shoppers Drugmart or IDA. Also, howcome it has to be a shampoo not a body wash or a cleanser?
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rasalka & Mabsy,

Any further progress on the milia front with this product ? Mabsy, have you been able to get a hold of the DHS shampoo here in Australia ?

I'm so tempted to experiment this on my sister as she has a line of milia beneath her eyes that look like a dot to dots puzzle (on both her eyes). She's had it there for years and mum has even had a fortune teller say that she needs to get rid of them as they represent 'tears'. Confused

I'm willing to give the Johnsons & Johnsons baby shampoo a try even though it's not clear and I'm not sure how extra gentle it is compared to the DHS (but there's a no-more-tears formula). I might just dilute some and apply with a cotton bud to ONE millia next time I see my sister and see if it does anything... Razz

Summertimegirl Smile
Mabsy

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

I haven't found it anywhere. I did a search online (back in May) and didn't find anything. I keep an eye out in the shops for new products and have not seen this one. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though but I really doubt it.

Mabsy
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

Are you looking for online sources for DHS? Dermstore.com and dermadoctor.com both sells DHS and ships internationally.

HTH!
Mabsy

Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks! I didn't realise that Dermstore carried it! Next time I order something I'll be sure to add it in! Thanks again!
escents
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Is that the only product that reduces milia? I doubt that there are stores that sell this product. I just don't understand something. How come it has to be shampoo? I thought that it's for your hair.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Hey Mabsy & MTView,

Thanks, I'll check out Dermstore for this product and others, have you ordered from them before?
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Dermstore is a reputable site. Do a board search on MUA's skincare forum. Someone posted some promo code yesterday I believe.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks very much MTView ! I will check it out. Smile
Mabsy

Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl - I've bought from there before and was happy with their customer service.

Escents - that was just one of the tips for millia removal was was recommended by a derm. There are other ways of removing them, slightly exfoliating eye creams would be another option (like the MD Formulations one for example).
escents
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for being so annoying Mabsy, but can you tell me what cream for MD formulations is it that you think it reduces the milia under my eyes cuz I have REALLY OBVIOUS ones and it makes me lose my confidence when having eye contact with other people. :cry:
Mabsy

Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:39 am      Reply with quote
Escents - no problems. It's the MD Formulations Vit-A-Plus Eye Cream. If you are young or have fragile skin around the eye area then I would make sure that you just spot treat with this rather than using it all over the eye area. It can be pretty drying if you don't have the right skin type for it. But it is effective for millia removal.
escents
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,

I do have sensitive and dry skin under my eyes, but yet I DO have a lot of milia under it. you said spot treat, right? But my whole bags has it, so I think that I need to put it in the entire eye area. I know it will irratate my skin, but I do need to take a try because the milia under my eyes are WAY TOO OBVIOUS. :(
Mabsy

Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:18 am      Reply with quote
If you still want to use this, do a spot test first and also use something over it to give extra moisture.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
any updates on how people are going with this DHS treatment?

Tried it yet Mabsy?
Mabsy

Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:51 am      Reply with quote
nope, not yet. I don't have anything to try it on at the moment Smile When I do you can count on me ordering it!
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm resurrecting this very old thread...

I wonder if using a product such as Cliniderm would work? It's not fragranced and is meant for sensitive skin. Has anyone used Cliniderm cleanser for milia with any success?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) Caudalie Favorites - Beauty Grows Here (5 items) glominerals Majestic Jungle Collection (4 items)