Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Eyeliner - help! I need to buy one.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
I confess... I have not used eyeliner for about 20 years and don't even have a token one in my drawer if needed. I am going to change that. BUT...

what type should I get? pencil? powder? liquid? cream?

what color? (very pale skin, pink undertone and blue eyes. lightbrown-copper hair)

what brand? (prefer one either sold on Sephora or EDS Laughing)

thanks ladies!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE my MAC fluidline...if you need me to do a CP for you I'd GLADLY do it!

It's a gel, goes on smooth, stays all day, and comes off like a dream.

Pencils always smudge on me, but I'm hooked on MAC.

I'm not one to be able to pick colors...I use Blitz and Glitz...black with gold shimmer, but it comes off as a pretty off black color.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely agree with ParisTroika! Very Happy I bought Fluidline after reading some reviews here and am so happy that I did. Since then I've gone back and bought a few more shades and really like it.

I never really cared for pencils because they just didn't work very well for me, and in the past I'd tried the cream eye liner from Smashbox. It was okay, but I really like the Fluidline. I'd highly recommend it.

I'm very pale with blue eyes & ashy blonde hair and have three colors that work well: Nightfish (a dark grey/muted black), Waveline (almost an indigo blue), and my favorite is Graphic Brown (a coppery brown with just a hint of sparkle). It sounds like that one would be very pretty with your coloring, but I think I remember hearing that one was a Limited Edition.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Now that I've got the hang of using BB gel liner and brush, I love it! The gel in Chocolate may work very well on you.

I might try MAC Fluidlines next, after all the raves I've read here...but I'm using up this gel first.

But I'm never ever using pencil to line my eyes. They just don't do the job right and have no staying power whatsoever.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Aw guys... OK, off to the MAC and BB counter on Saturday (poor hubby will have to smile and pretend to be interested... Laughing) I was going to get the smashbox cream eyeliner and brush that CareKate raved about in some other post, but the MAC / BB would be more convenient to get I guess. Smile

I am going to write down those colors to take with me too!!

What do you guys do about a white/nude liner to brighten the eyes? I have the cupidon 00 pencil from Guerlain but I dont like to use a lip pencil near my eyes...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used the white or nude liner, so perhaps some others will have some advice about that.

I did want to mention, though, that I found the Smashbox liner brush to be very good...it made it very easy to apply cream liner very close to the lashes. Unfortunately my cat decided to chew the end of the brush (my fault for leaving it out), making for not SUCH a straight line. Sad I've been using a different brand since then, but haven't loved it. I haven't tried any other liner brushes yet, and I'm sure there are many other nice ones, but just wanted to add my two cents to let you know that the Smashbox brush was very good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
Tiger_tim, definitely check out MAC Fluidlines. My staple eyeliner is the one in Blacktrack. It there's one color you must have for eyeliner, it is definitely black. Fluidlines come in a lot of other fun colors as well...MAC just released their new Jewelescent collection, which features the Fluidlines in Jadeye (blue/green with gold pearl- how beautiful is that?!), Graphic Brown (great for a neutral daytime look), and a white liner you were asking about- Frostlite (warm white with gold pearl). Wearing white liner on the inner rims definitely brightens eyes.

I agree with the rest about not bothering with pencils...they have zilt lasting power compared to the Fluidlines. If you don't want to use gel eyeliners and want the conventional liquid, I suggest Blinc Kiss Me eyeliner. Like its mascara counterpart, this will stay on all day through rain and tears and will never smudge. HTH!
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Ooooh, thanks for the tip, Dollbird! I just checked out the Jadeye shade on the MAC site and I've got to get it! It's gorgeous!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:15 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim - I'm another vote for MAC fluidlines, I never used to use liners either as they always make me look like someone punched me in the face but MAC is perfect and I mastered the application almost immediately. I suggest graphic brown (it's out again in the new collection) or dipdown. I would go with graphic brown, has a bit of shimmer but super subtle and would go well with your skintone + hair colour. Blacktrack might be too bold, especially for pale skin gals. Macroviolet could also work for you.

If you're going to check out BB - sapphire and ivy shimmer are out again and they're making it permanent. Ivy shimmer is a dark green with shimmer and it might look good with your blue eyes. But if you're going for the browns I'd rather go with fluidlines, they have a better consistency than BB.

I almost forgot to add - if you're looking for a highlighter for eyes check out JI's highlighter pencil (on EDS) - one side is white and the other pale pink, I have one in my cart for my next order. For highlighting I prefer pencils just because I don't want to do my liner then wash the brush to do the highlighting part (unless I want to go buy 2 liner brushes). Also for highlighting I don't need such a straight line, I like to be able to smudge or whatnot which pencils are good for. That or I just use my eyeshadow as an inner eye highlighter.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
hi tigertim, try the chanel cake eyeliner! it's like working with watercolors, and there's absolutely no tugging or pulling on the eyes when lining (so no wrinkles later!). i don't know if they will have it in the chanel counters in japan.

http://web1.sasa.com/SasaWeb/eng/product/viewProductDetail.jspa;jsessionid=8230975bee63j$C2$AC$?itemno=1002382

i also heard good reviews about the shu uemura drawing pencil but have yet to try it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:40 am      Reply with quote
I don't like pencils as even the softer ones tug at my eyes.
I love using eyeshadow as a liner or I agree with all the comments on MAC fluidlines.
Very Happy
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:09 am      Reply with quote
I absolutely love MAC brushes - they have some gorgeous new gift sets at the moment (think they're specials for the holidays), and one has 5 cute little brushes just for the eyes which would be fab to go with the fluidline. I'd like to buy all 3 sets, but they're £39 over here as opposed to $48 in the States and it feels like such a rip-off! Hubby might have to buy me at least one for xmas though - he just doesn't know it yet Wink .
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:56 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
I absolutely love MAC brushes - they have some gorgeous new gift sets at the moment (think they're specials for the holidays), and one has 5 cute little brushes just for the eyes which would be fab to go with the fluidline. I'd like to buy all 3 sets, but they're £39 over here as opposed to $48 in the States and it feels like such a rip-off! Hubby might have to buy me at least one for xmas though - he just doesn't know it yet Wink .

fifi: Although the brush sets are really cute and definitely a great deal but I have to mention their qualities are not even 50% of the full size MAC brushes. They do not feel or work the same at all, they are less dense, less soft and are no better than your regular drugstore brushes. They also shed! So I suggest you save your money for the regular brushes. They are also massed produced in CHINA versus all the other brushes that are made in France, Japan or USA (wherever the hair is made I assume) and will last your forever.
Tammy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:25 am      Reply with quote
My vote goes for the Bobbi Brown gel liners. One tub lasts a few years! Even used everyday!
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I love my Smashbox cream liners, very easy to apply but I've heard good things about MAC.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Oh! sormuimui, thanks for the JI tip - that is exactly what I wanted!!

well, whether I end up with MAC or the Bobbi Brown eyeliner, I guess that is where I will get the brush too. Laughing I know both brands are great for brushes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:27 am      Reply with quote
MAC Fluidlines are indeed awesome, especially since they're inexpensive compared to other brands and come in a good range of colors.

I am also besotted by my Bobbi Brown gel liner in Bronze Shimmer, but that beauty is a limited edition. The Chocolate Shimmer is nice too.

Laura Mercier's cake liners are perfect for tightlining and last forever.

I do use pencil sometimes since I don't always have time to fuss with a brush in the morning. I like MAC's Teddy eye kohl, due to the beautiful color, but the kohls don't have great lasting power. The Powerpoints are better in this regard. Revlon's Colorstay in Vixen (dark plummy brownish color) has good lasting power and is very inexpensive.[/i]
SoniaK1
5% products discount

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
A cheapie but goodie is L'oreal's waterproof liquid eyeliner. The hard tip, not the one that's like a paintbrush. For some reason eyeliner always smudges on me, I think because I have really shabby eyelashes that never want to curl. It's one of the only eyeliners that won't smudge on me. The only downside is that you have to be pretty precise with liquid liners. With pencils you can kind of smudge it so that it's not noticeable if it's applied unevenly to each eye. I really like MAC's pencil liners for that. They don't really bleed much either. I think if you want something more subtle, just use an eyeliner brush, dip it in some water, then just use your favorite eyeshadow color instead. hth!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
The MAC Fluidlines are great but my favorite pencil we sell is the Powerpoint. A pretty soft shimmery brown is Bountiful Brown but my staple I use on a lot of people is Stubborn Brown which is a deep chocolate brown. These are very soft upon application but will set and unless you have extremely oily lids will stay put all day. I am very oily and my Dior waterproof liner always smudges on me but not my MAC Powerpoint.
My favorite fluidlines are Blitz and Glitz, Ostentatious (ltd ed. from Rococco - muted brown - very natural look on) and Graphic Brown which sells out everytime it comes out! Jewelescent is released today and it is part of the collection so they will be in stock!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I alternate regularly between my MAC Fluidline (I think my shade is called "Iris Eyes" - I'm pretty sure I posted about it a while back, it's FABULOUS for green eyes!!) and my two Smashbox Cream liners (Smashing Purple and Smashing Scout).

About brushes: I LOVED my Smashbox eyeliner brush, but it's about two years old now and the bristles have begun to splay so I've been on the hunt for a new "push" liner brush. I've tried a bunch of them, whose names escape me now, and wasn't really happy with them and then I ordered a NARS push liner brush from an Ebay store that was having a going-out-business sale and I couldn't be happier! It's soft enough not to be scratchy on my delicate eyelid but it's firm enough to allow my to create the thinnest/finest line (although it's buildable so if you're going for the smoky eye look, you can easily do that too).

Anyway, when it comes to eyeliner the MAC or Smashbox are the ones that I'd always recommend!

BTW, I saw in one of the current Avon brocheres that they've come up with a version of a gel eyeliner like the MAC Fluidlines or BB gel eyeliners, but they're like five or six bucks a piece. I ordered a couple to try out/compare with my Fluidlines but haven't received them yet but I'll be sure to post a followup when I get them and let y'all know how they compare to the hinger priced versions....

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
carekate,
macroviolet fluidline also looks very pretty on green eyes also! Smile
bears
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner and love it. I have always used pencils in the past but this a much better eyeliner.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I love Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Sepia. I've been using it for years (since it first came out). It stays on all day and doesn't smudge. However, I've noticed it's not too easy to remove, but since I use cleansing oil it isn't an issue. One downside is that you need to have an eyeliner brush to apply it. If you prefer an eye pencil, I personally find Clinique Quickliner and Chanel eye pencil very good. Hope that helps.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Smashbox cream liners. Very Happy
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I would check out this <a ref="http://madenyc.com/eyeshadow-liner.htm">site</a> for recommendations by an makeup artist.

Been wanting to buy the Camera Ready Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner. Plus that site sells makeup fixing sprays by Cinema and teensy samples of blushes by Illuminere. So cute.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |