Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Article about dangers of Microdermabrasion
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:21 am      Reply with quote
From http://spas.about.com/b/a/257522.htm

Quote:
Caution on Home Microdermabrasion Kits
Microdermabrasion is one of the most popular treatments at medical spas and many day spas. It's highly effective but expensive at at least $100 a pop – with a series of four to six usually recommended before you switch to ongoing maintenance. No wonder big consumer product companies are cashing in with $25-$30 home microdermabrasion kits. But these home kits are "a crime to the skin,” according to my esthetics teacher, a highly trained medical esthetician who has an advanced degree in organic chemistry.
In the hands of a trained professional, microdermabrasion is a highly effective means of improving the appearance of the skin. It uses a powerful machine to mechanically spray microcrystals of aluminum oxide or corundum powder across the skin’s surface, removing the dead skin cells.

But these home kits take aluminum oxide crystals, which are second only to diamonds in their hardness, and mix them in a cream that enlarges the pores and literally invites the crystals into the skin, according to my teacher. The home treatments actually clog pores, prevent the skin from breathing and create pimples and breakouts rather than making your skin better.

So my advice is, if you want to exfoliate at home, use a very gentle scrub that your esthetician recommends. Just stay away from the $25 microdermabrasion kits. They're no bargain.

I really like EpidermX II and started using but i was wondering if this article is true? Also, when does one start using microdermabrasion? i still pretty young and wanted something to refine my pores. what do you ladies think??

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:50 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if the article is true or not but I never use those kits anyway. Perhaps I partially agree with what is said as I am very careful with microdermabrasion and have only ever used scrubs from brands that I know like Valmont and Cellcosmet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:06 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
But these home kits take aluminum oxide crystals, which are second only to diamonds in their hardness, and mix them in a cream that enlarges the pores and literally invites the crystals into the skin, according to my teacher. The home treatments actually clog pores, prevent the skin from breathing and create pimples and breakouts rather than making your skin

I don't think this is true of the microdermabrasion products we use here (e.g. PSF/EpidermxII because they use condundrum crystals. Besides no users here say they have the problems mentioned above and a lot of us have used long-term before.
I have read reviews of other high street microderm kits which complained of clogging. I'd just be careful to choose the right kind of product with the right kind of crystals.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
I have read reviews of other high street microderm kits which complained of clogging.

I bought the Neutrogena Microderm kit a couple years ago and had this problem. It felt like the handheld wand was just pushing the crystals deeper into my skin and rinsing with water wasn't enough to get it out.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I thought the Neutrogena kit was awful, just useless. But I love the Philosophy kit, love it. I also have a sample of the PSF crystals, and seems fine.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
same here, i don't use at home microdermabrasion kits. I usually get a peeler cream from my doctor instead to help increase skin turnover.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I question this person's "advance degree in organic chemistry"
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Also, when does one start using microdermabrasion? i still pretty young and wanted something to refine my pores. what do you ladies think??

I'm 23 and I did 3 professional microderms earlier this year. I was pretty disappointed with the results, but I've recently started using the Clarisonic and I wish I had gotten it a long time ago. Just after a week of use, my pores are much cleaner and my skin looks brighter. I've been using the gentle brush once a day, but sometimes twice. Depending on your skin, you might want to look into it.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Epidermx 1 (the original) was non-comedogenic but I don't know for sure about EpidermxII.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Poco,

I just noticed you joined a year ago today....happy anniversary! Laughing
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Well, whaddaya know--I did! Very Happy

Thanks!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
bushy--I have the cellcosmet scrub sample, and while i do agree it is nice, it doesn't so the same for my skin as epidermx II.

Molly--I didn't understand what you meant by "things getting clogged" but after reading wendy's post from another thread, i think understand what you mean:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12816&highlight=silkia+oil

Quote:
I read an article on home mda kits and they are not good b/c a professional will have a machine that pulls any excess particles out of your pores should they get in. You don't do that at home so you run the risk of this stuff being left inside your pores. not good. So I use Origins Modern Friction dermabrasion made with rice starch, they do a great job and the particles are too big to get stuck in your pores. Plus the rice starch is natural and not made of Aluminum Oxide.

Peels are good as well.

So, what you mean is the crystals can get stuck in our pores and enlarge them? you said PSF and epidermx uses condundrum crystals? I don't know what they are. Are they supposed to be less likely to be embedded in pores then? I did notice that the PSF instructs users to not press the crystals into the skin while using the scrub.

my sushi secret--can i ask the reason you were disappointed with your 3 professional microderms?

thanks for the replies Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I had 6 professional microderms and they gave me broken capillaries on my cheeks that have never gone away. I told the esthetician about it after the 2nd session, but she just said she didn't think it was from the treatments. Still, she turned the power of the suction down on the machine so that it was barely effective. I should have just asked for a refund for the last 4 sessions! Embarassed
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Origins Modern Friction uses rice starch??!!

I tried a sample and thought the stuff was utter rubbish (sorry, just being honest about what I felt).. I thought it was a microderm product (never even looked at the ingredients Laughing ), but now I know it is rice starch I say it is even worse.

My homemade ground rice scrub does a better job (and feels nicer and, I would bet, has better ingredients) than the Origins.

Sorry for the slightly OT rant.. must be stress. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
my sushi secret--can i ask the reason you were disappointed with your 3 professional microderms?

thanks for the replies Smile

The reason I went to have a microderm done was because the line of stuff I was using brought a lot of what seemed like dirt to the surface of my skin, but never got rid of it. I thought the exfoliation would help, but it didn't after 3 sessions once a month, so I stopped going.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
you said PSF and epidermx uses condundrum crystals? I don't know what they are. Are they supposed to be less likely to be embedded in pores then?

Hi Skincareaddicted. Conundrum crystals are the same kind as used in professional salon microderm treatments and don't get stuck in the skin. (we discussed this oodles before if anyone wants to search)
I think PSF says not to press hard because it scratches your skin too much if you do (I know! cos I did that) - nothing to do with embedding.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
and if anyone is interested, cornumdum is the same material as sapphire. It is the next hardest gemstone after diamond.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:16 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Origins Modern Friction uses rice starch??!!

I tried a sample and thought the stuff was utter rubbish (sorry, just being honest about what I felt).. I thought it was a microderm product (never even looked at the ingredients Laughing ), but now I know it is rice starch I say it is even worse.

My homemade ground rice scrub does a better job (and feels nicer and, I would bet, has better ingredients) than the Origins.

Sorry for the slightly OT rant.. must be stress. Laughing

Shock Shock Rich starch is even worst?!?! I just bought Modern Fiction and tried it once. My friend recommended this to me so I give it a try.

Can you tell me more about it? So is it bad for the skin?? I actually dont really like how it feels on my skin either... but it does make my face smooth after used.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, Christine.. no, what I meant was that my experience with rice-scub products (either Neal's Yard Remedies Honey & Orange or my own homemade one) has been very good... I am shocked that Origins was a rice-based scrub because I thought it was just so horrible (when I thought it was a microdermabrasion cream, I thought the bad quality was due to the crystal quality or something).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the rice powder/ground rice (or rice starch.. though that would be an actual powder, so I dont think that wuold exfoliate very well)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I would second mysushisecret - the clarisonic may well make microdermabrasion a redundant question for you.

I use it and my skin is very refined by it.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
i am interested in microcrystal effect.
but my friend tell me that my skin couldn't endure it Confused
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I got it done professionally and I was extremely happy with the results. I have tried Dr. Brandt and did not like it as much.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you tiger_tim, I thought rice starch was bad for the face or something Laughing Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |