Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
:: Review :: Big RAVE: Nuface!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote
The first thought that comes to mind is that the thickness of the gel adheres it to the skin, where as the water just keeps evaporating. So maybe the gel allows for better penetration of the current.

The most important thing though is seeing the proof of better lifting when you use the gel.

I use the gel on my legs and butt, and have also seen good results there. On the other hand, I couldn't stand the feel of the gel on my face, and opted for the HA + water, so now I'm thinking it's time to suck it up, and try the gel on my face again.

Now what we all need to do is put our thoughts together for a good gel alternative... I for one don't relish the thought of spending $25. for the Carol Cole gel. I'm gonna hunt down the ingredients, and see what I can come up with.

Off to the 'lab' with my giant $5. bottle of aloe... Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Now what we all need to do is put our thoughts together for a good gel alternative... I for one don't relish the thought of spending $25. for the Carol Cole gel. I'm gonna hunt down the ingredients, and see what I can come up with.

Off to the 'lab' with my giant $5. bottle of aloe...

The gel would get expensive...especially if using the Nuface on our body. Shock Let me know what you come up with Kassy.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
I read the posts about the Nuface and ordered. I found a source for information on the nuface and I will pass it on to all of you. She is a
esthetician and she said nuface can be used for 20 minutes for the ultimate lift. She also has used it on people that have had huge weight losses and it has tighten up skin all over the body. I had a question about the difference in this unit and the derma tone or Suzanne Somers facemaster and this was her response to me in an email

My question started by asking why the current is so light compared to the derma tone and this is the response.

More is not Better!

In the aesthetic industry “more is not better” is a term estheticians live by, especially when it comes to our facial muscles. For that reason microcurrent is used in luxurious spas to re-educate the facial muscles, the treatment is known as a “noninvasive facelift”. Microcurrent is a low level current that is said to mimic our own bodies current. Microcurrent is used to lift and tone the facial muscles, increase collagen, elastin, ATP and circulation. Thus the face takes on a more youthful appearance with lifted muscles, reduced lines and wrinkles, and an even skin tone.

In the mass market there are various at home devices that claim to deliver a variety of benefits to the face. Most “facial stimulators” on the market emit a current called TENS- which is a 1000 times greater than microcurrent. TENS units are powerful enough to contract the muscles although long term can atrophy the facial muscles and have been found to actually deplete our cells of protein (collagen and elastin) and ATP (function of the cells to detoxify and promote cellular turnover).

Toby
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Toby, thank you so much for sharing that great information.

By any chance, did she recommend a good gel or anything else for conductivity?

Glad to see you posting.. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I purchased some conductive gel from Ebay, it was AUD$8.90 for 250g. The ingredients are:
Carboxy Vinyl Polymer; Sodium Hydroxide; Glycerol; Methyl-P-Hydoxy Benzoate ester; water. It is especially for ultrasonic, TENS and electrical stimulation.

I was under the impression that there was something "special" about conductive gels that enabled them to conduct the current into the skin. So, Kassy, I will be interested to see what you come up with.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, what about emailing the chemist atwww.thepersonalforumlator.com and asking him what exactly a conductive gel is.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I will email and find out about the gel.
Toby
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kelui, thanks for the good info.. I've been checking out the ingredients in several gels, and the majority are looking like silicone. The other ingredient that seems to come up in several is sodium hydroxide.. If memory serves, I believe this is 'lye', and is used to make a formulation more alkaline. It's also a major irritant, if too much is used..

Okay, I'm getting carried away there. I'm going to experiment with a few things, but my main ingredient will be the cheapo 'aloe vera' sold in the drugstore. The ingredients look okay to me.

I'll email the chemist at TPF, but won't hold my breath for an answer. I wrote them a couple of weeks ago for an anhydrous base, and they never replied.. I'll try though!

Arysse

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

New to this forum. I found it by searching for reviews on Nuface and just ordered mine today.

If anyone is interested, it can be purchased for $320 with free shipping from inspiringskin.

Arysse Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Came accross this info:

"Why use a Conductive Gel with Facial Massager?
A gel is needed to conduct the ultrasound waves deep into the skin. Research shows that the transmission pro portion of ultrasonic waves in the air is 0%, about 50% in general water, 60% in distilled water, near 70% in glue matter, and above 70% in special conductive gel."

Am still searching on what makes the gel conductive - I think it might be the silicones.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:02 am      Reply with quote
Oh Kelin,
Thanks for this information, how sad it would be to think you are spending money and time and not getting the results because of not using the correct conducting gel!!!!!!
Toby
kj68
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Toby thank you so much for posting the information on "more is not better." It got me
digging.

I am one of those thinkers, Brick wall if a little
bit does this...I'm cranking up the current.

Out with the Dermal Tone knockoff and in with
the Nuface.

Thank you
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I heard back from the esthetician on nuface device, she 100% backed up the information that gel is needed for the effective mirocurrent. She said if it breaks you out wipe it off very good before applying makeup.
Toby
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Still waiting to hear from TPF.. Sad

Toby, did she happen to suggest any particular gel or types? Did she ever mention using aloe vera gel?

Thanks!

Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
This is what the email stated about the gel.
Toby

You will get the best results with the
Derma-Gel. Make sure the Derma-Gel is completely removed from the face
after the NuFace treatment to avoid breakouts. If the breakouts continue
try using an alternate conductivity gel.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Toby!

So now I need to ask you folk this... Are you willing to pay the $25.00 for the NuFace gel?

I'm not!! I'm experimenting with a couple of 'gel' alternatives using KY Jelly, Aloe Vera + HA.

I'd love to know if any of you have had luck with alternatives.

Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use the aloe vera gel for my face master and got very good conductivity. I will email her and ask about the aloe vera gel.
Toby
Cowgal44
5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Ok with this gel situation. I just did a search on conductivity gels on Amazon and found a number of gels for conductivity (tens units/ electrotherapy,etc)that are cheaper than Nuface.. My brief search did not include any that had their ingredients listed- but FYI. one was for Aloe Vera for sensitive skin. But then I started thinking... hey, maybe my local CVS or at the most medical supply store would have them- and I could purchase/and or at least see the ingredients. So I'm going to check into all this..

Cowgal
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Here's what I've found so far in my quest;

There are lots of varieties of 'aloe vera gel', with as many varying lists of ingredients. I wound up buying one from Wal-Marts that says "Aloe Vera 100% Gel"... It's the only one I found today that didn't contain any alcohol. (I thought it better to avoid the alcohol because of the major dryness it causes).

I also picked up the CVS version of KY lubricating jelly.

I'm going to mix those two with some distilled water and try it out when I use the NuFace again.

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I just asked my local pharmacist about conductive gels and he said that a gel must be a conductive gel to make the microcurrent work properly. You cannot substitute aloe vera gel or anything else. He said conductive gels differ in composition, some are made conductive by ionisation. The bottom line is, if you are using your Nuface or other microcurrent gadget without a conductive gel, you are waisting your time.

Unfortunately, I am still no clearer on what ingredients to use to make a conductive gel at home. However, there are certainly allot cheaper conductive gels around than the Nuface one. HTH.
boyasean

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Toby, what's the difference between NuFace and Face Master by Suzanne Sommers? Which is better? I bought Nuface for Christmas and I am thinking about getting Face Master also but I want to know how they compare.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Well, I just asked my local pharmacist about conductive gels and he said that a gel must be a conductive gel to make the microcurrent work properly. You cannot substitute aloe vera gel or anything else. He said conductive gels differ in composition, some are made conductive by ionisation. The bottom line is, if you are using your Nuface or other microcurrent gadget without a conductive gel, you are waisting your time.

Unfortunately, I am still no clearer on what ingredients to use to make a conductive gel at home. However, there are certainly allot cheaper conductive gels around than the Nuface one. HTH.

No wonder I have seen an improvement since starting to use the conductive gel again. If you can remember, I was thrilled with my first few treatments. During those treatments I used the gel. After reading the thread I thought I would save money and use water. My results seemed to be at a standstill. After again applying the gel I get a better lift.

One more thing to buy. Rolling Eyes

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi Toby and DiPhx!

I have a question for both of you, and anyone else who might know:

Is there a risk with the NuFace of losing volume and/or depleting protein in the face with this device, or is it only the higher current with TENS units I should worry about? There was some question of this also, I believe, with the galvanic current devices.

I hear such good NuFace reviews here, but worry about long-term effects. Anyone know??

TIA
fawnie

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I think I posted this some where already.I have the Suzanne Somers and derma tone. I ordered the Nuface and emailed them when I was concerned about the fact that the current is lower and doesn't cause muscle flexing. I thought more current was better.My question started by asking why the current is so light compared to the derma tone and this is the response.

More is not Better!

In the aesthetic industry “more is not better” is a term estheticians live by, especially when it comes to our facial muscles. For that reason microcurrent is used in luxurious spas to re-educate the facial muscles, the treatment is known as a “noninvasive facelift”. Microcurrent is a low level current that is said to mimic our own bodies current. Microcurrent is used to lift and tone the facial muscles, increase collagen, elastin, ATP and circulation. Thus the face takes on a more youthful appearance with lifted muscles, reduced lines and wrinkles, and an even skin tone.

In the mass market there are various at home devices that claim to deliver a variety of benefits to the face. Most “facial stimulators” on the market emit a current called TENS- which is a 1000 times greater than microcurrent. TENS units are powerful enough to contract the muscles although long term can atrophy the facial muscles and have been found to actually deplete our cells of protein (collagen and elastin) and ATP (function of the cells to detoxify and promote cellular turnover).

Hope this helps, I am only using Nuface!!!

Toby
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Toby
So from what I am reading, this is not a problem with NuFace, even with continued use?

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |