Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For cat lovers...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Cesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
...because if you're not cat lovers, you're going to go eeew!

My four year old female Siamese has very recently started going to the toilet in the kitchen sink. Only for a pee, I hasten to add - she does the other outside. I'm torn between being full of admiration for her for picking the second of two places where that might be the slightest bit acceptable, and knowing that if my husband knew about it...... You can't just grab them in mid-flow, you know: you'd have dribbles on the floor... She's still quite young so I'm sure there is no physical problem - she just doesn't like to go out into the rain. Any cat lovers with suggestions?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Cesce, if I were you, I'd get her a litter box for the winter time. If she doesn't like to go out in the rain and is using the sink to go pee (smart little cat!), then she MUST be holding the other or possibly going somewhere where its not obvious but that you might find later (like under the bed in the guest bedroom or something!) Years ago, my family had a little Dachshound who refused to go out in the rain to go potty. That poor little dog go so backed up one winter, we had to take her to the vet!

Cleaning the litter box is a pain, and having a cat that will go outside is so convenient. But as it stands right now, she doesn't have her own toilet to use when she gets leery of going outside. I'm just amazed she hasn't tried to "notify you of her issues" by peeing on the rug somewhere. Cats are so fastidious about being clean and about their toileting habits, a litter box for the winter months just might be the ticket.

Or you could always try to train her to use the toilet. Go to this site: http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/faq.html
Here's a picture of a cat going potty in the toilet. He's really concentrating!

lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:53 am      Reply with quote
well, cats are not from this planet...
my 11 year old female cat does the same sometimes, although in the bathtub, very exactly into the plughole, so there is not the slightest drop around (but still yuck !). I still didn't find out why she does it - because she has a litter box. in fact i think, that she feels cleaner with the tub version...
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
My flame point Siamese piddles in the sink...he used to do it alot, but not so much. Instead, he prefers us to fill the sink a little with water so he can "chill by the pool."

He used to go potty on bathroom rugs, towels that were on the ground...etc. But he doesn't do that anymore.

It's actually quite common for kitties to piddle in the sink, so says the vet.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
interesting photos, Laughing
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I would check with a vet to be sure, even young cats can have illnesses or a disease. If nothing else it will bring you peace of mind.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
ha! my cats used to squat over the bathroom plughole!
so clever. and sooo lazy.. it's because they dont want to go out when it's cold or wet.

I guess the solution is to put her out more - as you would with a dog.

Or get a litter tray, but no matter how assiduous one is, they do tend to give off an undesiarble whiff...

Love the photo of the cat on the loo!
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
That picture is really funny! There's an invention I read about on Daily Candy that trains cats to use the toilet over time. I wish my cat was smart enough to do it....I hate changing the litterbox.

http://www.citikitty.com/index.htm
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have a contraption called the Litter Robot and it's been the best thing I've bought the cats besides their cat tree and soon to be delivered window solarium. They are very spoiled.

It looks like Kenny from Southpark, rotates 7 minutes after they visit and drops the lumps into a sealed drawer lined w/a kitchen trash bag. I sprinkle baking soda and aquarium carbon crystals in the bag when I change it out, which is only 2x a week for my duo fluffballs. So, there is no scooping 'round here and it doesn't smell at all. I had to find a clever solution because there's little to no storage room in my apartment and gasp (!) it's in my dining room behind a wooden screen. However, no one knows about it and my apartment has never had the "Oh, cats live here" smell that you get smacked with when you open the door.

I love it. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your replies. I loved the photo and went to the site for a look, but I think the cat using the toilet would freak my husband out more than her using the kitchen sink! After all, he puts his bottom on the toilet seat but he never goes anywhere near the kitchen sink! I have a dishwasher so the kitchen sink actually doesn't get used that much: washing hands or veggies, etc. under the tap is about all. And since the first time I saw her do it, I'm very careful about washing and disinfecting it practically every time I walk past - just in case.
Anyway, I have a solution: put the plug in and run about an inch of water - she doesn't like to get her feet wet. She has definitely not been doing 'the other' anywhere in the house: I've looked, and I've really been taking note and she will go out and roam around the garden looking for mice or whatever (even in the rain) then come in and go straight for the sink!
I was so glad to see that she wasn't the only one and that it's fairly common. I think it does just go to show that they are fairly smart. Thanks for not being judgemental, ladies - I appreciate it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
How funny!! I had no idea they would go in sinks!

I tried to train my cat to use the toilet, and it was going very well, although he was not happy about the situation. We were almost toilet trained when he decided he'd had enough! He jumped up on my bed and peed on it right in front of me! This ended the toilet training, and we now have a litter box!
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Cesce wrote:
And since the first time I saw her do it, I'm very careful about washing and disinfecting it practically every time I walk past - just in case. ... Anyway, I have a solution: put the plug in and run about an inch of water - she doesn't like to get her feet wet. ... Thanks for not being judgemental, ladies - I appreciate it.

Cesce, I KNOW my cats get up on the kitchen counter when I'm not home, so I am constantly spraying them down (the counters, not the cats!) with disinfectant and wiping them off to be sure no cat hair or "residue" is on them. I'm an animal lover, but I'm like you in that I also like to keep my environment as clean and "de-catted" as possible. GREAT solution by putting water in the sink! I hope she doesn't do like Tosca's cat and wee-wee on your bed, though! I think you will find that cat lovers don't judge other cats lovers and their cats - we all know that our furry critters are just not "regular, normal" animals and that they do some strange things sometimes. They really are very smart little creatures!
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:21 am      Reply with quote
My kitty went in the bathroom sink and tub a couple of times when she was a baby and learning to use the litter box. Fortunately, she got the hang of the litter box quickly. I was lucky that she went in such easy places to clean up! I had thought about toilet training her but never got around to it.

This reminds me of this video my aunt received who then forwarded it to me... it showed this cat flushing the toilet repeatedly (like 10 or more times) simply to watch the water flush. Apparently, the family went away on vacation and upon returning discovered they had an unusually high water bill. They found out weeks later what it was... the cat woke them up in the middle of the night flushing the toilet and that's when they shot the video. It was so cute!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Cesce wrote:
she will go out and roam around the garden looking for mice or whatever (even in the rain) then come in and go straight for the sink!

I had a girlie cat just like this - she would lie in the sun in the garden, come IN for a pee, and go back to the garden for a sunbathe.

I think maybe Tom cats are more rugged and back to nature about these matters. Wink

As for being judgmental.. that reminds me of a tricky incident. A friend came to visit me for coffee, on her way home from the supermarket. She dumped her bag of shopping in the hall, and we settled down for a chat.
When we went back to her bag in the hall, as she was leaving.... well... she'd had some prawns in her bag, and I had two cats.. so. She didnt have any prawns any more, after our two hour chat.
She was SO cross, and that was compounded for her by the fact that I didnt tell my cats off - reason being, they'd been lounging happily on the floor in front of us for the last 90 minutes ( obviously post - prawn -fest languor), so if I'd suddenly pounced on them to tell them off, they'd have thought I was insane. Plus, the prawns were on the hall floor, which isnt exactly well defined territory for 'dont steal food' rules.
I dont think she ever quite forgave for not bawling out the cats..
Cesce
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Mermaid, I realise that my cat too jumps on the kitchen counters when I'm not around; they like to be high up and they're very nosy so I suppose it's to be expected. My solution, apart from wiping down is to have a household rule that absolutely no food goes directly onto a kitchen counter - I have different food-prep boards. It was easier to train my boys to always get a board out to make a sandwich, than to train them to wipe the surfaces down beforehand.

Amnis, I've seen that video and it's a hoot... for anyone who hasn't, here's a link: http://cat-keeps-flushing-toilet.funnypart.com/

Catski, that prawn story was so funny, but you were absolutely right not to chastise your cats. Reminds me of 30 years ago and a previous cat of mine: she came through the cat flap, turned round and stuck her head back out and hauled in a whole plaice! It was that hot summer of 1976 and everyone had their doors and windows open. She had obviously pinched it from someone's kitchen. Oops! Wonder what they ended up having for dinner!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:44 am      Reply with quote
haha! I just showed that viseo to my children and they played it over and over again! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |