Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Review: NIA24
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
Question about the Nia24 products: Can I use the sunscreen as a night cream since it contains 5% pro niacin? I dont want to be cheap but it has the same amount of active ingredients in it as the Skin Strengthening Complex so I was thinking of doing that. Also since it is a Physical sunscreen with Zinc and Titanium i thought it should be OK. Does anyone else do this?

I'm not sure about that. It wouldn't be emollient enough for me to use as a night moisturizer. I also thought that I could use the sunscreen in the daytime instead of the Skin Strengthening Complex but it doesn't work so well for me as the SSC. It makes my skin feel dry.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
After my inital "rash from hell" reaction to the Nia24 scrub (after 1 use) that took 3 weeks to go away, I temporarily lost my mind and tried it again in the shower tonight. Shock

I did not use it anywhere but my face and the tops of my hands, since those areas did not break out last time...we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I am only giving it shot again since 1) I happen to own the full size tube Rolling Eyes and 2) others have had great results with pigmentation, and I would prefer a non-HQ option for long term usage. I am going to start slow and work my way up in usage frequency.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 am      Reply with quote
LizaA wrote:
Has anyone broken out in a bumpy and itchy red rash from Nia24?

I've used the Sunscreen and the Strengthening Complex and while my face and neck is fine, my chest has broken out in bumpy red rash.

Anyone had the same experience?

I purchased the Skin Strengthening Complex because I wanted to introduce vitamin b into my skin care routine (thank you, I think Sad Dr OZ). I applied it sparingly - no test patch - all over my face, neck & chest. Yikes! When I woke up the next morning my eyes looked 20 years older. The orbital bone by my cheek was just like crunched up paper & was red/raw. I was shocked beyond belief since I was never concerned about my eye area. This was certainly a first (well, maybe except for tazorac incidents Rolling Eyes ). My chest had little bumps on it too., but I HAVE experienced that before with the taz.
I've gone back to the Strengthening Complex and avoided the areas that reddened & stung. I'm going to see how it goes. Neutral
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I was going to buy a full-size tube of NIA sunscreen, but considering negative experiences of other people with this line, I think I should buy sample kit first. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
I was going to buy a full-size tube of NIA sunscreen, but considering negative experiences of other people with this line, I think I should buy sample kit first. Rolling Eyes

It appears from reading this thread and the Nia24 site that slow integration is best.

I used the sunscreen for the first time today, but diluted it with another brand, and am going to stick with an every other day schedule for now.

I am also not going to use the sunscreen on my chest for the time being...I am going to start there with the 1% scrub (the sunscreen is 5%) a couple of times a week, and then add the 2.5% chest cream over time. Maybe I can eventually work up to the 5% sunscreen, but since I am hive prone on my chest, I am taking it VERY slow. The rash from the 1% scrub on my upper arms was lesson enough for me!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:28 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Aiva wrote:

It appears from reading this thread and the Nia24 site that slow integration is best.

I used the sunscreen for the first time today, but diluted it with another brand, and am going to stick with an every other day schedule for now.

I am also not going to use the sunscreen on my chest for the time being...I am going to start there with the 1% scrub (the sunscreen is 5%) a couple of times a week, and then add the 2.5% chest cream over time. Maybe I can eventually work up to the 5% sunscreen, but since I am hive prone on my chest, I am taking it VERY slow. The rash from the 1% scrub on my upper arms was lesson enough for me!

Yes I agree in going slow for NIA's products , when I used the sunscreen for the first time and applied it as per instruction , My face GOT SO RED and itchy and flaky, I swore I would never touch NIA stuff again , But since I had samples of the whole system , then looked at the site again , they where saying that this is common due to increased circulation , and since building up tolerance is a common way to used retinoids which really work , I Thought this might work too , plus I loved the science , so this time I tried the skin strengthening complex at night after my nightly retinol , but diluted with another bland moisturiser , next day I saw some flakes, but no redness or itching , which I took as a good thing , did this for a month , gradually increasing the NIA SSC,after 2 weeks I started to use the scrub ,nearly daily which I loved NIA at,since it got rid of the flakes, then at the end of the month after ,My face really look so much nicer , Clearer and calmer , like what an AHA would do but with out the increased sensitivity I get from AHA's ,I still haven't used it full strength ,and on another post by September girl I read that topical niacin enhance you skin's immune system , I think topical niacin helps your skin like DNA repair enzymes do , ie helping you resist UVA's more ,maybe they are interchangeable hope this helps
LuvToSmile
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
I went ahead and purchased a full size tube of the SS after using samples with no reaction. It is not oily on my oily skin, which is a blessing in itself. It also does not leave a white cast for me. My only beef is that I purchased it from an Amazon reseller and the expiry date is 9/09. I probably will have used it all up by then but I do not like receiving products with expiry dates only 6 months away.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using several of the Nia24 products since mid-Feb with no issues at all...I can even handle the SSC 2x a day with no issue. Shock

I am still proceeding cautiously with the scrub (it is never going near my upper arms again!) and I am still only using the diluted sunscreen every other day.

All in all, I really like the products, and plan on going through 2 containers of each to give the line a fair shot from a pigmentation standpoint.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:49 am      Reply with quote
The hand & decolletage one has done wonders for my neck and chest. I was starting to get chicken skin on my adam's apple (WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?) and it's gone. The texture of my neck is like when I was in my 20's (OK 30's), deeply moisturized and elastic, not "I just put body cream" moisture. I love it. I tried the face creams but my skin was too greasy. I may splurge for the eye cream based on these results..need all the moisture I can get there.

Oh, and using the scrub (when I remember) really amps up the results but the scrub does induce a temporary flushing and redness. I don't have sensitive skin , so I'm not surprised this happened to you Beth. My face can take it though.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Marina, I love the Hand & Decolletage cream too!

I'm not sure why the Scrub irritated my upper arms so badly...it is only 1%,though I can use the Hand & Decolletage 2.5% cream there as well with no problems. Weird!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Marina, I love the Hand & Decolletage cream too!

I'm not sure why the Scrub irritated my upper arms so badly...it is only 1%,though I can use the Hand & Decolletage 2.5% cream there as well with no problems. Weird!

I don't know about you, but I'm a pretty vigorous scrubber..that nay have something to do with it.
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

The scrub has several irritating surfactants , so you might not be reacting to the niacin , this review explains it

http://www.truthinaging.com/2008/07/nia-24-physical-cleansing-scrub.html
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
nibn wrote:
bethany wrote:

The scrub has several irritating surfactants , so you might not be reacting to the niacin , this review explains it

http://www.truthinaging.com/2008/07/nia-24-physical-cleansing-scrub.html

Very interesting...combined with vigorous scrubbing as Marina mentioned, and I was probably doing myself in! Embarassed

But I am glad to know that it wasn't just the niacin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I've got a sunscreen sample of NIA24 from skinstore, but when I received it, it was expired......
Anyway, although I can not use it any more, but I tried on the back of my hand. This product is some kind of oil, but it's really good smelling~~I love the flavor.
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
flyflyonly wrote:
I've got a sunscreen sample of NIA24 from skinstore, but when I received it, it was expired......
Anyway, although I can not use it any more, but I tried on the back of my hand. This product is some kind of oil, but it's really good smelling~~I love the flavor.

Too bad it was expired. I am surprised that you find it oily? I find it is not moisturizing enough - I usually have to apply some serum first before I put on the ss.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I don't find the sunscreen oily either. I also use either a serum or moisturizer underneath for extra moisture because I find the sunscreen leaves a dry satin finish.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I found it was too oily/heavy for me.
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
..... I find the sunscreen leaves a dry satin finish.

in my DH's words "feel likes sand paper" Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
I don't find the sunscreen oily either. I also use either a serum or moisturizer underneath for extra moisture because I find the sunscreen leaves a dry satin finish.

Really? It looks shiny on me. Confused But I am mixing it 50/50 with MelaShade which is very matte, and that seems to help quite a bit.

BTW Diana, did you find that your pigmentation got darker before it got lighter when you started using Nia24?

And I also wanted to say thanks for posting your pics...they convinced me to try the line. Once I got over the rash from the scrub, I have been very happy with the rest of the products in the line. It's only been a month, but I am starting to see some lightening in some areas.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
I ended up buying the NIA sunscreen as well as the skin strengthening complex. I LOVE the SSC but I don't like the sunscreen. I find it too matt, and gives me zero moisture, and my skin is not even that dry. I don't mind the slight whitish cast as it serves to brighten and even my complexion a tad, but I really don't like how it accentuates every dry area on my skin. Anywho, I am keeping it to use over my regualar sunscreen if I go to the beach, or to use in my apartment when I am working from home. The S.S. Complex however, is great. It has the perfect amount of moisture, and I love the ingredients. I am going to start applying it over my C serum. I find both products effective though. They are calming and soothing when my skin is red. I never experienced any of this flush business that I have heard so many mention. No warm sensations here at all. I notice my skin looks a bit brighter, but it has only been 3 weeks so I will report back in a month or so, to see if it helps my pre rosacea skin. So far I can say that my skin is much softer, and calmer. Freakishly soft almost. I have recently switched from Retin A to Tazorac, and I believe that NIA 24 has helped me tolerate the much stronger Taz a lot better. I will report back with more info in a month!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

BTW Diana, did you find that your pigmentation got darker before it got lighter when you started using Nia24?

And I also wanted to say thanks for posting your pics...they convinced me to try the line. Once I got over the rash from the scrub, I have been very happy with the rest of the products in the line. It's only been a month, but I am starting to see some lightening in some areas.

No, I never noticed any darking of my pigmentation. Thank goodness, because if I had I probably would have stopped using NIA24 and missed out on how great this line is. I am still using the SS and the SSC but have not yet incorporated the scrub back into my routine. I posted a few months ago that I had a major breakout of pimples/clogged pores on my forehead. I stopped using everything and slowly brought it all back in (except for the scrub) and so far no issues. Not sure if it was the scub or a new medication I started using but I am hesitant to try either because it took about 3 months for my forehead to clear up the red marks to go away. I really loved the scrub and am thinking that since I had been using it for close to a month with no problems, that my breakout was caused by the medication, so I plan on trying it again soon.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
bethany wrote:

No, I never noticed any darking of my pigmentation. Thank goodness, because if I had I probably would have stopped using NIA24 and missed out on how great this line is.

Hmmm...mine definitely looks darker, but it might be due to HQ rebound pigmentation, sigh.

I tried the sunscreen by itself today, and it definitely went on only as I remembered. However, I remembered to recheck it a couple of hours later, and it was definitely more of a matte, powdery finish. I may still keep mixing it with the MelaShade though since there is zero ghosting that way.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I tried the sunscreen by itself today, and it definitely went on only as I remembered. However, I remembered to recheck it a couple of hours later, and it was definitely more of a matte, powdery finish. I may still keep mixing it with the MelaShade though since there is zero ghosting that way.

I paid extra attention when I applied SS this morning and yes, I guess it is abit oily but it goes away so quickly on me. I leave it on while I do my hair, about 10 mins, and by that time it is the matt finish. And I agree with amonavis, the temporary whitish cast does seem to brighten my complexion.
sukorcc

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:52 am      Reply with quote
I've been using a sample of the sunscreen and I like it very much. It's smoothly didn't get a white cast from it and wouldn't break out.I'm oily skin .
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
After reading this thread I have a question. Is it all right to use the SSC over a Vitamin C product in the morning?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |