Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: NIA24
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi april,

Maybe I'm layering too many things under it, I've noticed the pigmentation lightening, not the skin refining. Then again, I do use exfoliants so just how much refining do I want Rolling Eyes Glad you like it. I didn't think they made any claims about skin firming..if they do, let me know It'll be great to just take one tube of skincare this year for my annual pilgrimage to Europe. You should see me try to balance potions & lotions in my tiny bathroom there..after a week, I just give up.

p.s. I think I'm flying through Paris again..I can vist that famous french landmark...sephora!!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
m.april -- I hope you will post back with updates as you continue to use the products. Are you using the NIA24 sunscreen at all?
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
M.april, thanks for your post on the other thread. I have been using their scrub every other day and their sunscreen on a daily basis for about 1.5 weeks so far. Some breakouts but I like both products and didn't want to give it up. Good to know that the breakup is clearing up for you. I will press on and hopefully things will clear up too! Really want to incorporate the Strengthing complex once the breakout starts clearing up.

For those interested in their sunscreen, the texture is wonderful (not oily) but it did leave a slight white cast on my face but managable since I tend to top off with a light layer of MMU (slightly darker shade to even out the tone and get rid of the shine).

For those who are sensitive to scent, there is a pleasant but faint scent in all the three products. I like the smell, not overpowering at all.

I noticed that an eBay seller has a sample kit for all four of their products (including the new cleanser) for US$22.95. I have not purchased from him/her but definitely plan to do so if I am going for the full size products.

30s; Fair to Medium with yellow undertones; Combination skin - occasional breakouts, vertical brow lines, age spots, acne marks, few broken caps, tiny bumps (chicken skin); Eyes: puffy, dark circles and fine lines..... yeah, lots to fix Smile WIP
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi marci65 - No, I'm not using the NIA24 SS. I'm a bit neurotic about SS and don't feel purely physical ones provide me with the amount of protection I want, so I use Avene Emulsion SPF50+, which contains Tinosorb S and M, as well as a little zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (and NO avobenzone -- a big plus since I wear makeup).

Hi marina - Lucky you!!! That Sephora on the Champs Elysee is like heaven on earth!!! Lordy, if Paris didn't offer so many other delights, I could spend all day in there.

As far as layering goes, NIA24 says the SSC should be applied BEFORE anything else. For a few days, I applied a C serum first, then I tried it after the SSC, but in either case it was a little drying and so I just stopped bothering. I'm still using Avene Retrinal .05% around my eyes once in a while because according to the SSC directions, the eyes should be avoided. Indeed, when I've put it around my eyes too often, it's caused some dryness. This may all change as the weather gets more humid in summer though. My normal skin gets oilier then.

Like I said, I'm not sure I'll give up C entirely -- SC CE+F has always done a great job for me, especially when it comes to diminishing/eliminating fine lines above my upper lip and around my eyes. And I like that it's supposed to help with photo-protection, so this summer when I'm outdoors more I may still use it. But I have to say it's been SOOO very nice to just apply the NIA24 SSC at bedtime and then again in the AM -- and not have to bother with anything else besides SS and makeup!!! It's been quite a long time since my regimen was this simple!

As far as firming goes, check this out:

http://www.nia24.com/science/before_after.cfm?p=6
saladgirl
5% products discount

Fri May 04, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the good information. I have been using NIA 24 for the past few weeks, but was unsure where to put it in my routine. I have been using C serum first in the morning, but now I'm going to try to use the niacin alone. I haven't been using it long enough to get any results, but then again, I don't think I have been using it correctly.

I ended up buying the sunscreen for my arms and legs since the niacin percentage is the same as the face product and not as expensive.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 7:23 am      Reply with quote
april thanks!

I must of missed that. It really looks impressive. I'll have a chance to test it out alone..I vowed not to bring all my potions with me. A month will be adequate testing time since I won't have access to EDS and new products.

I really do like the sunscreen though and, at least, I won't have to give up C serum. Again, the sunscreen will be put through the test in Greece..I'm bringing Sofina along just in case though Rolling Eyes

I noticed they've updated their site. I remember reading you should apply retinol first, then NIA. At the time, they said NIA & retinol together allows for better results. Their evening protocol for Taz isn't updated yet.

In any case, I'm getting better results with NIA than Remergent DNA repair..although remergent certainly went on much lighter.
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
NIA24 Sunscreen makes me flakey.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 6:59 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
So far I'm liking the NIA24 Skin Strengthening Complex and plan to try another tube. It evens my skin tone and has faded my freckles a bit. It refines my skin texture the way retinoids do (without the irritation, as NIA24 claims), and I've hardly used retinaldehyde since I started -- I've even stopped using C serum but don't know yet if I'll give it up it long-term. If it continues to perform and impress me, it could really streamline my regimen. AND, if the SSC proves to help me defy gravity and my jawline firms up, I'll be ecstatic!

Hi m.april! I think you mentioned this to me in another thread, right? I might just have to park my tazorac and give this a whirl...and what does SCC stand for?! Laughing (I'd hate to be missing something! Shock Laughing ) Is the SCC replacing DMAE in your current regimen? You are not easily impressed, so I'm intensely curious about any product that is causing you pause!
pudoodles
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi Puds, it's SSC & I believe it's for the skin strengthening complex..april got tired of typing it out.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Pudoodles - marina's right -- I just abbreviated! And you're right too -- I'm not easily impressed! When I became aware of the NIA24 line and checked it out, their scientific claims and the before/after photos definitely caught and held my attention. My skin already looks terrific compared to those folks in the photos, but I'm a sucker for products that claim to fade pigmentation and/or firm and lift -- NIA24 SSC claimed it could do both. Also, I'd been reading things lately about niacinamide and getting interested -- but I'm not into DIY. So the SSC presented an opportunity to see what a niacin derivative could do, and in a retail product. I was game.

Since I wanted to see if it really worked, I gave up other actives for the most part. I have to admit that reviewers who simultaneously use several products are generally of little or no value to me -- how can a person judge fairly what's doing what??? Yet if a person has stuck to a regimen for quite a while and the addition of one new product results in improvement, that's a different story. As it turns out, the few times I used C and NIA together, my skin got dry so it was easy to stop using C regularly. Oddly, I don't have the same problem with Avene Retrinal, but I only use/used it once or twice a week anyway -- not daily like C.

Anyway, I'm basically looking for maintenance and a little bit of improvement -- nothing radical. At my age (55), if I can continue to [reasonably] hold on to what I've got, I'll be happy. One reason why I'm not telling every woman with mature skin to rush out and buy it is that I started using it just as Spring was in the air -- and it's been my experience that my skin looks its worst at the end of Winter and I freak out, only to find that moister air and milder temperatures ALONE work wonders! So I'm reserving final judgement for now. But so far I like it!!! I consider DMAE to be more of a quick fix, whereas this stuff is supposed to repair skin -- different leagues entirely. I still slap on some DMAE --especially when I know I'll be in the company of anyone who's likely to scrutinize my face, like a girlfriend hoping to see me show my age more, or when I get dressed up and want to look my best. I would categorize Vit.C and retinaldehyde products in the same class as NIA24 Skin Strengthening Complex -- active products that can repair skin.

Sorry for rambling!!!
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
As soon as I stopped NIA SS; I stopped flaking. It's been a over a week with no flakes, but I added the SS back because I really like the evening out it did for my skin. I have been using nothing under it for the past 2 days, to make sure that I wasn't imagining the flaking, and it wasn't just products balling up or anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
HOw long were you using it..I flaked, got oilier,drier, a whole myriad of things before it settled down. I have no problem with it now.
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I was using it approximately a month before I started flaking. It cured my oilies and made me a little dry, not too much. But, then I started flaking; I didn't know it was part of the process. It was just around my chin area, and there was nothing I could do to clear it up. It looked awful. How long did the flakes last? I guess I will try to bear with it if it happens again. I couldn't cover it up or anything, tho. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
It lasted a few days..I'd try before giving up. It's a promising and expensive product. Also, don't wear mineral make-up over it till the flakies stop. It only accentuates them.
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Only a few days, darn I lived with it for 3 before I gave up. Sad
Thanks for the help, marina.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that. Try contacting them. They may be able to help. Is it the just the sunscreen, have you tried the skin strenthening cream? They also make a great gentle scrub that would probably take care of the flakies...but you wouldn't want to have to rely on that to take care of them on-going.

http://www.nia24.com/about/customer_service.cfm
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have just been using a sample of the Sunscreen. I have a full one left to go.
I was using PSF retinol .5% at night, until I ran out. Not sure I want to purchase from them again, I don't know if it was really helping with anything. I am using a Pearl Creme at night because it has really helped with my clogged pores. My PC and retinol didn't mix well either, another reason I don't want to repurchase. In other words, I don't know if it will be ok to put the strengthening complex over my Pearl cream. I think I might email them and ask. Thanks for the link.
There is no sample of the the strengthening cream, and since it costs so much I've been wary of trying it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 17, 2007 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Zumlya,
I'd put the strengthening complex first, then the pearl cream.
kimberly
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Blues,
I'm sorry I didn't see this before. I haven't tried that because I thought the mattifyer had to be on the skin to reap the benifits, but I have since changed my routine. If this new route doesn't work, I'll try your idea. Thanks.

I'm almost out of the SS I don't know if I will purchase a full size yet, but I'm thinking of getting another trial size.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been liking the s/s. I got a full-size. One thing I didn't realize from the sample was that there is a definite fragrance to the product, but I thought the info on the s/s says it's fragrance-free.
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I saw this on NIA 24 website (FAQ):
What are the benefits of “fragrance free” products?

Many customers feel that added fragrance can irritate skin; therefore, NIA 24™ products contain no added fragrance. The slight aroma that you may detect in the products is the natural aroma of the ingredients themselves.

I finished my SSC and SS samples and got the full size from eBay (alot cheaper) last week. IMO, the samples have a detectable scent and full-size literally have no scent. First thought that crossed my mine was that the full-size from eBay are not the "real" thing or are really old stock, but I gathered not as in came with the boxes (although not sealed) and texture are very similar to the samples. In addition, the seller has great reviews/score.

In addition, the expiration date on SS package is 10/08 and since NIA24 website said that SS shelf life is 2 year, I gathered that it is not so bad.

Used the ebay set twice so far and no breakout or bad reaction (hope I didn't jinx it Razz ).

For those who had purchased the full-size products, does it has a detectable pleasant scent?

30s; Fair to Medium with yellow undertones; Combination skin - occasional breakouts, vertical brow lines, age spots, acne marks, few broken caps, tiny bumps (chicken skin); Eyes: puffy, dark circles and fine lines..... yeah, lots to fix Smile WIP
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Yes, there is a slight odor; it's very pleasant.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that the scent from the s/s is pleasant.
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I agree it does have a very light scent at first, but I find that it disappears quickly.
I just checked out e-bay. The prices are great. Thanks for the tip. I definitely will get the SS from there for that price. I hope it's not fake.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Marina/Marci65/Zumlya,
Thanks for posting your responses on the scent.

I was worried initially when I couldn't detect the scent with the ebay full sizes (since the samples are definitely detectable). I have been using the full-size for the last few days and am glad to report back that there is a slight scent and is giving me the same good results as the samples. YAY!!!

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |