Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Review: NIA24
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
After reading this thread I have a question. Is it all right to use the SSC over a Vitamin C product in the morning?

I know this. I used to use the NIA 24. You can use it over a C in the morning. I asked that very question and was told that it was fine. You just need to be careful that it is not too much for your skin.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jom wrote:
After reading this thread I have a question. Is it all right to use the SSC over a Vitamin C product in the morning?

I know this. I used to use the NIA 24. You can use it over a C in the morning. I asked that very question and was told that it was fine. You just need to be careful that it is not too much for your skin.

What was your experience with the NIA24 products? Did you use the SSC? How did you like the products?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
What was your experience with the NIA24 products? Did you use the SSC? How did you like the products?

I didn't use it for too long, jom, maybe 2-3 months only. The SSC was ok, nothing that I was just thrilled over. I, however, Love the Nia scrub. It is one of my favorites. I don't have sensitive skin and I did not have any issues with any of the products that I used from the Nia line. I did like the sunscreen. It left just a hint of white cast, and was a little oily feeling to me, but it sank in pretty quick and then it was fine.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I did like the sunscreen. It left just a hint of white cast, and was a little oily feeling to me, but it sank in pretty quick and then it was fine.

I am mixing it with a little Melashade (which is tinted), and the combination is GREAT...no white cast, very smooth, and matte throughout the day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
I did like the sunscreen. It left just a hint of white cast, and was a little oily feeling to me, but it sank in pretty quick and then it was fine.

I am mixing it with a little Melashade (which is tinted), and the combination is GREAT...no white cast, very smooth, and matte throughout the day.

bethany, what is Melashade? Is it a tinted moisturizer or do you need to use a foundation on top?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
bethany wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

bethany, what is Melashade? Is it a tinted moisturizer or do you need to use a foundation on top?

Melashade is an SPF 30 tinted suncreen + primer...it is almost identical to the ZO Skin Health Oclipse (minus the peptide, $40, and almost double the qty). It is a private label product, and I got mine from Lovelyskin.com.

The tint is a little too dark for me, which is why I am mixing it with the Nia24 sunscreen. But the color seems to work for most everyone...unless you are a pale yellow coloration.

It feels very silky going on by itself since it is silcone based. (those silicones did not make me break out, thank goodness)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm actually liking the SunProtection Cream, even tho it's only spf30. It is cosmetically elegant for me. Since I use Retin-A Micro I don't like a matte SS such as Avene Emulsion SPF50+ Orange tube - looks too dry under foundation. NIA24 is expensive, but nice.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the Skin Strengthening Complex for only a week. I did not experience the initial purging or anything. No bad reaction so far. In fact, this is my "magic product" only second to Atopalm cream. I typically do not have the luck to "see difference after only one use". However, strangely, with this SSC, I found my skin brighter and redness decreased after the first day of using it. I have good skin, but have some localized redness probably due to some low-level inflammation from past use of irritated products or retinols. Atopalm cream has helped significantly, so I was very surprised to see SSC could calm the persistent redness further! Also, the texture of SSC is not thick or rich, so I was worried about it drying my skin out - dehydrated skin is my biggest skin problem. However, even with only SSC under my sunscreen, there is actually no problem. I feel there is enough moisture all day, which is rare with the absence of Atopalm cream. I am very happy with SSC, and hope to see more results in the longer term.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone been using this product recently? I am using the skin strengthening complex. It finally got rid of this stubborn red patch ive been dealing with for literally months. My skin also looks more plump as if its full of water or something. And it is very soft, to the point where it almost is weird Very Happy But obviously I am not complaining, I am happy that this product has actually worked. I have been using it religiously 2 times a day, every day for about 6 weeks now. I am going to keep on this regime for 6 more weeks and assess. Sometimes I still get a bit of blushing when I first apply it but it only lasts a minute and then it actually calms my skin.

I forgot to mention, I also use tazorac under it at night, so perhaps some of the improvement is the taz. But I tend to think its the NIA, because I have used prescription strength retinoids for a couple years.
mandapanda
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Ok this product seems way too amazing for me not to try!
I was starting another round of Obagi ( a year later) but am totally freaked by the rebound hyperpigmentation.
My pigmentation issues are worse now than ever before, and I bet it has to do with the Clear from Obagi...
Hmmmm...
I normally do vitamin c/e-ferulic in the AM with maybe the phyto (skin-ceuticals) or the 302 line..So confused about what products to use and when in the 302 line, though?..I did the 302 last year and stopped all acids like it said but didn't see great improvement..
I like vivte a lot, so maybe I will do that with the c/e+ferulic, and the Nia 24?
Then at night the Nia with the Retin-a?
Does this sound good or overkill?
I am soooo overwhelmed.... Shock Confused Laughing

PS:My mom is 62 and has used retin-a for 30 years and vitamin c for 15 years and her skin is TOTALLY gorgeous!And she is blonde and blue-eyed and grew up on the beach...She has no more pigmentation issues at hat she had in her 20's and early 30's..
She is soo funny and old school , that when she gets a pre-skin cancer or weird spot on her hands or face she burns it off with a match..
She is like me, very self-educated about skin and hair and all of that stuff...
So, part of me wonders if I am best to end up going her route, once I get a handle on the melasma crap! Rolling Eyes
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Well usually for melasma hydroquinone is necessary, unless it is pregnancy related in which case it can sometimes resolve on its own. I know that dr baumann sometimes recommends Tri Luma until the brown spots and patches are faded, or 3 months, whichever comes first. then she usually recommends a product like with Niacinamide or Total Soy, like Aveeno positively radiant, to prevent the brown spots from recurring. Both Niacin and Soy phospholipids are great at preventing brown spots, whereas Hydroquinone is better at fading them. I doubt that the melasma would go away with NIA alone. Pigmentation disorders are among the most complicated to treat. Rather than spendng a fortune on skincare which may or may not work, id go to the dermatologist, or a better dermatologist if you don't like the care you have received. I sometimes check the reviews atwww.ratemds.com to check how patients rate their dermatologists.

Yes you can combine NIA with a retinoid, and yes you can also combine NIA with a C serum, or another serum. Personally I use Topix Replenix under my NIA in the morning. The NIA24 website explains lots of stuff in detail. Hope that helps! I really think that NIA 24 or Aveeno with soy, and a great sunscreen with a high percentage of Zinc oxide, or something like La Roche Posay Anthelios 50, will be key in avoiding a recurrence of pigmentation. Just to let you know, only use Aveeno soy or Roc soy products because its the estrogenic components have been removed. Estrogenic components can actually worsen hyperpigmentation. I would also avoid Octinoxate as a sunscreen because it has shown estrogenic effects. Hope that helps.
2trakehners

Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 am      Reply with quote
I started using the gentle wash, serum and sunscreen one week ago. I bought this from a spa and it cost a great deal. I'm 50, skin just starting to really wrinkle around the eyes, dry skin, very white, rosacea - fairly extreme with constant, permanent redness. This was "prescribed" to me by my plastic surgeon who is going to lazer the redness in my face (it's really awful). This product was to "thicken" my skin and reduce the redness.

What I first experienced was a face so soft it was incredible. I really liked this product instantly. Then within 5 days the flaking started - mostly on my nose. Big deal. At 7 days I started breaking out. My life. But what I also noticed was that suddenly my ENTIRE face was wrinkled like crepe paper. Everywhere except my nose. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Has anyone else had this problem? It was so extreme I stopped the NIA24 serum and sunscreen immediately, and am just trying the gentle cleanser for the moment to see if my eyes are were deceiving me. Is this temporary and I should dive in again and give it a chance or are there people out there with extremely thin skin like me who react to this product in this manner? I can imagine that when you really soften some skin it may sag in incremental bits and cause the crepe paper scenario, but I'm just guessing.?
cmayes71
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the cleanser, sunscreen, repair lotion, and scrub with no problems at all. The sunscreen is not oily on me whatsoever. I have combination skin. I really like the Nia line. I'm using it hoping it will help clear up my melasma and sun damage.
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
The undeniable problem of physical sunscreen is its texture. I have tried several of them. All left my skin white, oily and shiny.
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
vikki_cooler wrote:
The undeniable problem of physical sunscreen is its texture. I have tried several of them. All left my skin white, oily and shiny.

There are several sunscreens available now that use micronized zinc, which leaves no white look at all. Smile
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I have not read through the whole thread, just wanted to add my vote for the sun cream. I have applied it on holiday for a week and found it to protect extremely well. I did not go red before I tanned and had less freckles than normally after a holiday. My only complaints would be that it is difficult to wash off, leaves a white cast which remains all day, and it is expensive to use for face and body.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
DianaP, what contributes to the lessening of discoloration on your face? Is it the sunscreen?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
To all NIA24 users, if you have to choose only one product in the NIA24 to try for the discoloration issue, what would it be?

Curious, which NIA24 products have niacinamide in them?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
To all NIA24 users, if you have to choose only one product in the NIA24 to try for the discoloration issue, what would it be?

Curious, which NIA24 products have niacinamide in them?

Bira, there's an ingredients list for the products on their individual pages on the EDS shop website. Pro-Niacin appears as this: "MYRISTYL NICOTINATE".

For discolouration, I'd suggest using one of the following products. If you want a rich, moisturising product, try the Intensive Recovery Complex (I use this each night and love it and my dry skin). For a less rich version, try the Skin Strengthening Complex.

The SpaceNK SA warned me that some people experience a slight rash or slight burning sensation during initial use, until their skin becomes accustomed. For this reason, it's best to use it maybe every other day at first for a week or so, then go up to once a day. I experienced no problems whatsoever with it.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Here is some excellent info I got from EDS. HTH!

What is the difference between the Intensive Recovery Complex and the Skin Strengthening Complex?

The Intensive Recovery Complex and Skin Strengthening Complex both offer moisturizing benefits in addition to the 5% Pro-Niacin™ provided in both formulations. However, the Intensive Recovery Complex will provide more intense and long-lasting moisturization with the addition of significant firming benefits as well. In addition, the Intensive Recovery Complex contains added ingredients such as skin brighteners and light diffusers to restore radiance and tone, and sodium hyaluronate and other key ingredients to promote hydration.

The Intensive Recovery Complex is an excellent choice for individuals with normal to extremely dry skin or for those accommodating climate changes, needing increased moisturization post-treatment, or when needing more hydration.

Will the Intensive Recovery Complex provide the same benefits as the other NIA 24™ products?

Yes. NIA 24™ Intensive Recovery Complex provides the same Niacin-related benefits as the Skin Strengthening Complex and Sun Damage Prevention 100% Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 because all 3 products each contain 5% Pro-Niacin™. However, in addition to Pro-Niacin™, each product contains other additional key ingredients which provide varying benefits.

Do I use the Intensive Recovery Complex in place of the Skin Strengthening Complex or layer them?

Generally most individuals use a lighter moisturizer in the morning to accommodate make-up application and a more intense moisturizer in the evening. The Intensive Recovery Complex was formulated to provide greater, longer-lasting moisturization as well as firming benefits for the skin. Because it contains the same 5% Pro-Niacin™ that the Skin Strengthening Complex does, it is recommended to substitute the Intensive Recovery Complex in the evening. Dry or more dehydrated skin types may find more relief using the Intensive Recovery Complex in the morning and evening or times when additional moisturization is needed. Oily skin types may find the Skin Strengthening Complex better for both morning and evening.

Can I use the Intensive Recovery Complex if I have oily skin?

Yes. The Intensive Recovery Complex helps moisturize and nourish the skin, as even oily skin needs hydration. However, oily skin types may find the Skin Strengthening Complex better for both morning and evening application, using the Intensive Recovery Complex to spot treat dry areas. You may find with continued use of the products that the skin barrier building benefits of NIA 24™ may help to control oil production.
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a stupid question - but - will NIA24 just fade the brown spots or will it lighten your whole face? Will it strip your tan off? Confused
ricebunny
5% products discount

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm really interested in the NIA24 line, especially the sunscreen and the skin strengthening complex. I'm primarily interested in incorporating the benefits of niacinamide into my skincare routine...but I'm also curious with respect to the fading of brown spots that people have mentioned. Has anyone experienced fading of post-inflammatory acne marks from NIA24 products?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
NIA 24 may help a little with overall skin lightening and acne marks, but it would not be my first choice, Id say you would be better off with a retinoid like Retin A or Tazorac if you can handle it, or use a glycolic acid cream or get some chemical peels instead.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Juliemarie wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question - but - will NIA24 just fade the brown spots or will it lighten your whole face? Will it strip your tan off? Confused

It will not strip your tan off as much as retin A or glycolic acid would, but whats the point in spending all this money on anti aging products if you are going to tan anyway, also tanning will give you tons of brown spots, more than NIA could ever erase.
ricebunny
5% products discount

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, amonavis.

I noticed that you said you've been using NIA twice a day for the past few weeks...just a quick question...did you start off with once a day, and then build up to twice a day, or your skin was fine with twice a day application from the get-go?

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |