Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
any lawyers out here, need help please - sorry long
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I remembered reading in a thread here that there were some lawyers on the board. I would really appreciate any advice or help. I am trying to get my mom down to my place to live (she wants to come here and my brother wants her to as well), but my husband is very concerned for us financially. Currently, she lives in her own home, but has had my brother's name put on the deed/title a few years back along with her name. She had a heart attack, and then a stroke. She was in the hospital for about 1 week. Long story short, she refused open heart surgery (she is 84) and her coronary valve is bad. I am wanting to take care of her in her final days (which can be anywhere from weeks to months) as I work at home and I could care for her easier than my brother. She lives in Illinois right now, me in FL. She has a very modest savings account and gets her monthly SS check. My question (husbands concern) is if her medical bills cannot be covered by her savings account, could they come after me and my husband to pay her bills if she is living with me? My name is not on anything, but if she were to live with me I am guessing I would have to have her SS check deposited in a bank where I live and also have my name put on that because she is unable to even sign anything anymore. Do any of you lawyers have any thoughts and/or insight about this issue? Sorry this was so long. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
It's a common question rileygirl, especially since the federal government doesn't do a great job of providing a support apparatus for the elderly.

Even if you and your hubby were to claim your mother as a dependent (for income tax purposes), you are in no way responsible for her bills or her debts. This is the case regardless of whether or not you have power of attorney (i.e. can sign her checks, etc. etc.). Keep in mind, though, that deficient as federal entitlements are, most of your mom's medical costs should be covered.

Yo're very lucky to be in Florida. Because they have such a huge population of retirees, etc., they have the very best Office of the Aging in the U.S. You should definitely give them a call. They'll assign your mom a social worker who will walk you thru all the different benefits that are available to her. You'll be amazed at what's out there and available at no cost. These services are EXTREMELY useful, especially when you take in an elderly parent in failing health.

My dad is in pretty good health, but he talks a myriad of prescription that are very common for people his age, but which are also VERY expensive (i.e. blood thinners, statins, etc. etc.). A little bit of research and a few letter to the major pharmaceutical companies and now, most of them send him his meds free. (They send them to his physician and he picks them up from her.)

If your mom had more substantial holdings, I'd advise you to talk to an elder care attorney, but that only becomes an issue when you don't want assets drawn down before federal benefits kick in. People with more modest assets needn't worry.

Hope that helps.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Wow, Katee, thank you so much. I did not know any of that info and I sure do appreciate your time. She really has nothing else so I don't feel I would need to talk to another lawyer. I can't thank you enough for all the info. I am printing this out so I have all the info in front of me. Again, I really appreciate your help! Thank you so much.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, Katee, just one more question! Would they go after her house or would my brother be "safe" as both he and my mom's name is on the house? Thanks again for your help!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
No worries as long as your brother's name is also on the house. Wink
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again Katee for all your help!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |