Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

REVIEW - A'kin Rose & Geranium Pure Creamy Cleanser &
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
This is the first of my reviews on the "natural" products I'm testing for a UK website known as the Beauty Bible.

A'kin Rose & Geranium Pure Creamy Cleanser & Toner For Normal, Dry & Sensitive Skin

A'kin is an Australian brand, made by the Purist Company. They proudly state on the box: "All A'kin products are free from sulfates, ethoxylates, parabens, propylene glycol, petrochemical cleansers, silicons, phthalates, DEA and artificial colours. A'kin products are ingredient rich, vegan, 100% natural botanical aromatherapy and formulated without animal ingredients or animal testing."

This sounded good to me, but would it perform?

First things first. This Cleanser/Toner all-in-one comes in a rather attractive brownish-burgundy and cream box and the container itself is a very sturdy cream, plain-ish looking, plastic one with a flip-top at the bottom, rather like those often used for shower gels. I found it slightly unwieldy to use, but not much of a problem.

The cleanser/toner itself has the most gorgeous scent, with rose being the dominant factor and a small hint of geranium. It really does smell natural and gives the product a luxuriousness.

Directions are: " Morning and night, apply a small amount of A'kin Pure Creamy Cleanser & Toner in One onto your fingers and massage gently onto your face and décolletage. Rinse or tissue off."

Now, over the last couple of years I've become somewhat addicted to cleansing balms used with muslin cloths. As this cleanser/toner has the texture of a smooth, creamy balm (possibly due to the shea butter content), I decided that I'd try to use it in this way.

The product felt gentle on my skin and was a pleasure to massage in. You can also use it to remove eye make-up, and it found it to be gentle in this area too.

I removed the cleanser using my muslin cloth dampened with warm water. Next, I rinsed my face with water, just to make sure that all of the product had gone.

It effectively took off my tinted moisturiser, blusher, eye shadow and mascara. Although it helped to remove a little of my MAC Liquilast, it wasn't terribly successful in doing so. Mind you, that's such a stubborn eye-liner and I haven't found anything to shift it yet!

My face was left feeling smooth, not at all dry or taut, and very comfortable. There was also the lingeringly beautiful scent of roses.

After using this product for two and a half weeks, I have to tell you that it's now become my HG Cleanser. This is definitely something that I will re-purchase. A true pleasure to use, leaves my skin feeling great, no really nasty ingredients (as far as I can tell, anyway) - and it works!

However, I'd only recommed this for people with dry, normal, or maybe sensitive skin (as the company itself states). It'd probably not be very good for oily people.

Ingredients: Purified Australian water, glycern (botanical source), caprylic/capric triglyceride (from palm), sesame seed oil, sorbitol (from GMO free maize), cetearyl alcohol (botanical source), sodium stearoyl lactylate (botanical source), slyceryl stearate (botanical source), certified organic shea butter, witch hazel extract, certified organic cold pressed avocado oil, squalane from olives, cold pressed Australian grown macadamia ternifolia seed oil, soy lecithin (GMO free), sodium isostearoyl lactylate (botanical source), stearic acid (botanic source), arginine (from sugarcane), glyceryl laurate (botanic source), sodum gluconate (from GMO free corn), methyldibromo glutaronitrile (and phenoxyethanol, rosa centrifolia flower water, panthenol (pro Vit B5), cold pressed Australian grown jojoba oil, lecithin (and) tocopherol (and) ascorbyl palmitate (and) hydrogenated palm glycerides citrate, geranium flower oil, West Australian sandalwood oil, citronellol, geraniol[/b]
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Yay another A'kin fan! I have used many products from their line, and the Cleansing Gel was my HG cleanser for a long time. Their cleansers have such superior formulation and still use nice and natural ingredients.
Cyberia
5% products discount

Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

Ingredients: Purified Australian water, glycern (botanical source), caprylic/capric triglyceride (from palm), sesame seed oil, sorbitol (from GMO free maize), cetearyl alcohol (botanical source), sodium stearoyl lactylate (botanical source), slyceryl stearate (botanical source), certified organic shea butter, witch hazel extract, certified organic cold pressed avocado oil, squalane from olives, cold pressed Australian grown macadamia ternifolia seed oil, soy lecithin (GMO free), sodium isostearoyl lactylate (botanical source), stearic acid (botanic source), arginine (from sugarcane), glyceryl laurate (botanic source), sodum gluconate (from GMO free corn), methyldibromo glutaronitrile (and phenoxyethanol, rosa centrifolia flower water, panthenol (pro Vit B5), cold pressed Australian grown jojoba oil, lecithin (and) tocopherol (and) ascorbyl palmitate (and) hydrogenated palm glycerides citrate, geranium flower oil, West Australian sandalwood oil, citronellol, geraniol[/b]

I can't belive this... methyldibromo glutaronitrile has been outphased in Europe for some years now. There has been a lot of focus on this substance in the scandianvian news and media because more and more people gete allergic to this stuff and numerous studies have confirmed that it is an skin irritant, cargiogen, and often cause contact dermatitis. And this stuff is even synthetic so I really don't understand what it is doing in a product line that claims to be all natural and/or organic.

Furthermore, although citronellol and geraniol are extracted from palnts and flowers they are on the EU list of the 26 most allergy-provoking fragance substances...

I have lots of reference to some danish studies but they are, of cause, in danish, but I managed to find a reference in english from an independent journal about evidence-based healthcare who has an article about it:

http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/Bandolier/band106/b106-4.html
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I must admit that I'm no expert on ingredients and have never come across such a warning here in the UK, Cyberia.

What you say does sound rather worrying, though, and I would like to know if anyone else has any more info, but I am somewhat wary of such warnings as they occasionally can seem a little alarmist. I'm not saying that's the case here, just that I'd be interested to find out more before judging it.
Cyberia
5% products discount

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
I must admit that I'm no expert on ingredients and have never come across such a warning here in the UK, Cyberia.

What you say does sound rather worrying, though, and I would like to know if anyone else has any more info, but I am somewhat wary of such warnings as they occasionally can seem a little alarmist. I'm not saying that's the case here, just that I'd be interested to find out more before judging it.

I was in a hurry when I posted last time, so I took the time today to find some studies in English.

I see your point about being wary, not every single chemical report is broadcasted in the news media in every country with the same intensity. All I can say is that I'm a crazy academic that likes to visit government and independent health and consumer sites as my hobby (yes I'm nerd Smile) and the EU Commission banned the use of methyldibromo glutaronitrile in April 2003 due to an increased frequency of allergic reactions. The ban so far covers stay on-products, not was-off products like cleansers, soaps, and shampoo. A danish study has indicate that the skin reacts to it even when using wash-off products, though.

Even if we pretend this product to be "safe" - I find it rather strange how a company can claim to be "all natural and pure" and trash other chemical preservatives on their website when methyldibromo glutaronitrile is very much indeed a synthetic chemical preservative...

Here is the EU document about methyldibromo glutaronitrile:
http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/sccp/documents/out269_en.pdf

Some studies

Monitoring levels of preservative sensitivity in Europe: A 10-year overview (1991–2000)
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1034/j.1600-0536.2002.460404.x?journalCode=cod

Methyldibromo glutaronitrile: clinical experience and exposure-based risk assessment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12755729&dopt=Citation

Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile. The Cosmetic
Ingredient Review Expert Panel. Journal of the American College of Toxicology, 1996,
15(2): 140-165

Rastogi SC. Analytical control of preservative labelling on skin creams. Contact Dermatitis 2000:43:399-343.

Zachariae C et al. Methyldibromo glutaronitrile: clinical experience and exposure-based risk assessment. Contact Dermatitis 2003:48:150-154

Jensen CD el al. Methyldibromo glutaronitril in rinse-off products causes allergic contact dermatitis – an experimentel study. Br. J. Dermatol 2004:150:90-95
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I love this cleanser, it is my HG, I have been using this cleanser for over 12 months and have never had any irritation whatsoever and actually find it very soothing. I should add that I am becoming quite a fan of A'Kin products. Very Happy

I will email The Purist Co with Cyberia's concerns.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Cyberia thanks for mentioning this preservative. When I was looking at the ingredient list I just skimmed by it and had no clue what it was. I have never seen this in any product before. I haven't had the chance to read all the information on the links that you mentioned but thanks for providing them. I tend not to be alarmist about chemicals and preservatives but this is definetly one that I would want to reserach more before using a product containing it.

BTW I am also a nerd and thoroughly enjoy looking at studies and spending time on the chemical companie's websites looking at information on skincare ingredients. Rolling Eyes

miranets do you know if the A'Kin Gel cleanser contains this ingredient?
Cyberia
5% products discount

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
BTW I am also a nerd and thoroughly enjoy looking at studies and spending time on the chemical companie's websites looking at information on skincare ingredients. Rolling Eyes

Oh that is so cool! I rarely meet people who take an interest in this - on a level where it boarders to nerdiness Smile I just get obsessed about it sometims, I can spend days and days reading lenghty studies on a given subject, stay updated on various health consumer websites, etc. I just have this weird "thing" with chemical substances... I now, it's crazy! Cosmetic ingredients and the cosmetic industry is just one of favorite academic hobbies, both because we live in such a chemical and synthetic world and because I think our health is too important not to care about Smile
Cyberia
5% products discount

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
kalegr wrote:
I love this cleanser, it is my HG, I have been using this cleanser for over 12 months and have never had any irritation whatsoever and actually find it very soothing. I should add that I am becoming quite a fan of A'Kin products. Very Happy

Just to clarify, I have nothing against this company, my comments are based on their own statements, content declarations and the avariable scientific data. There are no regulation or industry consensus when it comes to words such as anti-wrinkle, organic, natural, herbal, etc.

I am glad that you like this cleanser, just know that just beacuse one hasn't had an allergic reaction doesn't change the fact that itøs a frequent contact dermatitis provoking substance and that you are putting yourself in the risk zone each time you expose your skin to it.

I do have a strong pet peev with companies claiming to be all natural/organic/pure and then the ingredient lable lists all kinds of synthetic chemicals, fillers, colorants and solvents - it is unethical and misleading marketing whether intentional or not. I strongly feel there should be some regulation in this area because it is nearly impossible to for the general consumer to know/remember the origin, purpose, effect, toxicology, and possible alernate names of each and every substance on the market. Okay, end of rant, LOL!

kalegr wrote:
I will email The Purist Co with Cyberia's concerns.

Yes, that would be good idea. I'm not personall y interested in this product, but those who consider or are using it might greatly benefit from this Smile
Cyberia
5% products discount

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Akin Sandalwood & Neroli Pure Facial Cleansing Gel

INGREDIENTS:
Aqua (Purified water), sorbitol, palm glycerin, witch hazel distillate, sodium cocoyl glutamate (from coconut and tapioca), sodium isostearoyl/stearoyl lactylate, disodium cocoamphodiacetate (from coconut), lauryl glucoside (from palm and corn), sclerotium gum, quillaja saponaria (panama bark). Present at less than 1%: chamomile extract, orange flower water, panthenol (vit B5), West Australian sandalwood oil, sodium gluconate, disodium EDTA, methyldibromo glutaronitrile, phenoxyethanol, 100% natural aromatherapy fragrance.

disodium EDTA = synthetic aminoacid

methyldibromo glutaronitrile = synthetic preservative

phenoxyethanol = aromatic ether alcohol used as a fragrance and/or preservative.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
Cyberia thanks for posting the Gel cleanser ingredients. I guess I have some research ahead! I had tried the Gel cleanser and had planned on replacing my Cellcosmet Gel cleanser with it so I am glad that I got to see the complete ingredient list beforehand. I do have sensitive skin and have actually had allergic reactions to ingredients. So I want to make sure that I know a lot more about the methyldibromo glutaronitrile before I buy this. The sandalwood oil also concerns me since I have had reactions to products with this ingredient. While the Gel cleanser did not irritate my skin the few times that I used it, at least for me bad reactions can sometimes take a week or more to develop.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
The Face toner is nice too. When I run out I felt like trying something else but now wish I didnt as Im stuck with a toner I really dont like now(natio toner-it feels kinda grimy on my skin)

I havent tried the cleanser though,only their toner and shampoo and conditioner.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Cyberia wrote
Quote:
I am glad that you like this cleanser, just know that just beacuse one hasn't had an allergic reaction doesn't change the fact that itøs a frequent contact dermatitis provoking substance and that you are putting yourself in the risk zone each time you expose your skin to it.

I extracted the following statement from one the links posted in this thread.
Quote:
until appropriate and adequate information is available to suggest a level of the
preservative in leave-on products that poses an acceptable risk to the consumer (compared with
the risk to the consumer from other preservatives), its use should be restricted to rinse-off
products at the current maximum permitted level of 0.1%.

Considering that this product is a cleanser that is rinsed off, does it not comply with the above recommendation?
Cyberia
5% products discount

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:40 am      Reply with quote
kalegr,

I do not know if the amount of methyldibromo glutaronitrile "comply" (it's an Australian company) with the EU Commissions maximum values as the company states the amount is below 1%. It could be anything from 0.0001% to 0.99%, and I am not familar with the Austalian regulations and maximum values regarding methyldimibrom gluatnotrile Smile... which actually annoys me so you have now forced me to do some research on this now! Wink

However, methyldibromo glutaronitrile is indeed added to some of their stay-on products: all their moisturizers and eye creams, and one of their toners. http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/brand.asp?idCategory=30&on=suppliers&ID=182

Furthermore, their Akin 24-Hour Pure Moisture Unscented is not free of aromatic compounds: it contains sandalwood oil and bisabolol which contains aromatic substances and phenoxyethanol which is an aromatic alcohol.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post back with more info, Cyberia. Nothing wrong with being a skincare nerd, as far as I'm concerned! Very Happy

I do agree with you that the company's advertising would certainly suggest a much purer, more natural approach than they obviously have. That is a bit off-putting, not to mention misleading.

It'll certainly be interesting to read their reply to kalegr.

If the amount of this synthetic preservative is very small, then I shall probably continue using it as it is working well for me and I do rinse very thoroughly, but I am more wary about it now, for sure.
Cyberia
5% products discount

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Cyberia thanks for posting the Gel cleanser ingredients. I guess I have some research ahead! I had tried the Gel cleanser and had planned on replacing my Cellcosmet Gel cleanser with it so I am glad that I got to see the complete ingredient list beforehand. I do have sensitive skin and have actually had allergic reactions to ingredients. So I want to make sure that I know a lot more about the methyldibromo glutaronitrile before I buy this. The sandalwood oil also concerns me since I have had reactions to products with this ingredient. While the Gel cleanser did not irritate my skin the few times that I used it, at least for me bad reactions can sometimes take a week or more to develop.

Hi, glad I could give you some input... the companies below have great reviews on this board, and I have scutinized the ingredient list of every single product. Many of them use organic ingredients, some of them do not add aromas, essential oils or plant fragrances (do check each individual product though to be sure), and all of them can live up to their claims of being natural, chemical-free, solvent-free etc.

I would've add Eminence to the list but they do not state the full ingredient list and I've not been able to find any other retailer who does. Maybe someone can help you with this if you need it.

If you are looking for a cleanser with no essential oils or plant fragrance whatsoever, you could take a look at Earthbound Organics Cream Cleanser; Barefoot Botanicals Moisturising Face & Body Wash, Rosa Fina Cleansing Milk; and Green's Organics Rosehip Cleansing Balm.

Earthbound Organics (UK)
http://www.earthbound.co.uk
(almost 100% organic ingredients, very pure and simple)

Mother Earth (UK)
http://www.motherearth.co.uk
(almost 100% organic ingredients, very pure and simple)

Barefoot Botanicals (UK)
http://www.barefoot-botanicals.com
(almost 100% organic ingredients)

Suki
http://www.sukisnaturals.com
(Nice packaging)

Zenbiotic
http://www.zenbiotic.com/DEEP%20CLEANSERS.htm

Green's Organics (UK)
http://www.little-green-nursery.co.uk/supplier.php?supplier_id=1
(almost 100% organic ingredients)

Spiezia
http://www.spieziaorganics.com

Akamuti (UK)
http://www.akamuti.co.uk/online%20shop.htm
(very pure)

Trevarno (UK)
http://www.trevarnoskincare.co.uk
http://www.naturisimo.com/index.cfm?nme=tre <--- ingredients shown here
(UK cert. organic brand, almost 100% organic ingredients)

Primavera
http://www.goddessofspring.com
http://www.saffronrouge.com/primavera
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Cyberia thank you for taking the time to post all those links. Smile I am not strictly opposed to chemicals and/or preservatives in my skincare but I do like to use chemical free products when possible. I guess that I tend to overlook some chemicals if I like a product but I try to avoid what I call "chemical cocktails". As for preservatives I would honestly rather see a paraben or two at the end of the list than some other preservtives that may be less effective or that need to be used in larger amounts to be effective. I am glad that some of the products that you listed are free of essential oils. Having very sensitive skin it is difficult to use alot of "natural" brands because these tend to have alot of essential oils and problem botonicals. I can use some essential oils but alot of them cause real problems for me. And don't even get me started on lavender in skincare products! Everyone seems to think is awesome for sensitive skin and therefore it shows up in sooooo many products for sensitive skin! Rolling Eyes
Cyberia
5% products discount

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
I forgot these:

100% Pure
http://www.puritycosmetics.com/index.html
(vegan)

Dr.Hauschka
http://www.drhauschka.com
http://www.drhauschka.co.uk (UK)
(contain fragrance substances such as citronellol, geraniol, linalool etc and although derived from plant and flowers, they are on the EU Commission's list of the 26 most allergy-provoking fragrances)

Jurlique
http://www.jurlique.com
(relatively expensive)
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
miranets do you know if the A'Kin Gel cleanser contains this ingredient?

Hi, I feel like such a slow poke since everyone has beat me to it.

I was aware that A'kin contained phenoxyethanol, and upon some quick research it is listed on the EWG of potentially harmful chemicals (along with parabens and such).

I think when it comes to using products, I am generally OK with preservatives now especially if it is a rinse off product that does not leave a film.

I suppose somehow A'Kin could be likened to REN when it comes to a slight 'greenwashing' of their product and company philosophy, emphasising ingredients they avoid and practically boasting the benefits of the ones they choose to use, while still incorporating some not so natural alternatives to specific ingredients.

But anyhow, from personal experience, A'kin products are superbly formulated and have not caused any irritation whatsoever for me.

Cyberia wrote:
Furthermore, although citronellol and geraniol are extracted from palnts and flowers they are on the EU list of the 26 most allergy-provoking fragance substances...

I think Dr Hauschka also contains many flower and plant essences too, including those two above. But for something to cause an allergy, it depends on the individiual and how these ingredients are used in the product.
Cyberia
5% products discount

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
But for something to cause an allergy, it depends on the individiual and how these ingredients are used in the product.

"To cause an allergy, it depends on the individual"... I don't understand this... how can an person know if they will develop an allergic reaction to an allergy-provoking or skin irritating substance? I would be really happy if you could direct me to some studies on this as I've just never heard about this before...

And what do you mean exactly when you say that it depends on how the ingredient is used in the product? Used... how?
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Well firstly, on a forum we do express a personal opinion, and I don't feel that I have to dissect myself to explain how I feel. You seem to be very defensive of your own views, fair enough, and you provide scientific proof. But I feel that you are getting a little riled up on views that do not align with your perspective.

Firstly, I think you have entirely misunderstood that statement you quoted. Not everyone will develop an allergy to specific substances on official lists, even if they are continously exposed to them. There could be underlying reasons why an individual is sensitive to certain ingredients, whether it be genetic or caused by chemical reactions.

If a product is not formulated well, then it may contain ingredients that exceed the recommended percentage threshold, thus having a greater possibility to cause irritation. Every ingredient has a possiblity to cause irritation if used in incorrect quantities.
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:01 am      Reply with quote
The following is extracted from the email I received from The Purist Co regarding concerns expressed in this thread and hopefully this response from the Purist's Co Techinical Director should alleviate any concerns regarding their product formulations. Smile
Quote:
Many thanks for your email. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to respond.

A little history in the first instance.

Choice of preservative is certainly the most difficult task for the cosmetic chemist in developing naturally based cosmetics. There are very few truly natural preservatives. Ethyl alcohol (ethanol or common alcohol) is one, although it must be used at 15% in a formula which is extremely high. Very few formulations can withstand this and remain
stable. Ethanol is also very drying to the skin. A growing number of "natural" preservatives are appearing, although all of these have a very narrow spectrum of activity (usually against the easily controlled "gram positive" bacteria) with little activity against "gram negative" bacteria and yeasts and moulds (which are the most troublesome to control). We have tried (made test formulations and carried out independent PETs - Preservative Efficacy Tests) on a large number of
"naturals" and apart from a narrow spectrum of activity there are other pitfalls eg lichen extract makes formulations go very thin, hinokitiol (from Japanese maple) adds an unacceptably horrible smell, tea tree extract did not work, silver did not work at all well and makes formulations go a very yucky grey colour, grapefruit seed extract (used in many certified organic cosmetics) has been shown to contain parabens or benzethonium chloride to boost it's meagre activity (as well it is chemically altered and does not deserve its natural sounding name) – to name a few. We continue to test natural preservatives as they become available. We are now testing hops extract. One of our preservative strategies is to develop formulations which are somewhat self-preserving so that low levels of antimicrobials are required eg reduce "water activity" and use antimicrobial essential oils and avoid ingredients which are very susceptible to spoilage eg diluted honey.

We used to use parabens but formulated them out of our products some years ago when evidence appeared showing detrimental effects. We also moved away from choosing any ingredients which are preserved with parabens (most herbal extracts and proteins are preserved with parabens). We are now choosing to use the organic acids such as sorbates which although synthesised are found naturally occurring. However these are only effective in formulations which are quite acid (below pH 5). We also use as low levels of preservatives as possible (most cosmetics are over preserved hence the high incidence of allergy and irritation), carrying out PET tests until the lowest effective level is ascertained.

With regard to MDGN (methyldibromoglutaronitrile) - this was marketed to us as a very low irritant low allergy modern preservative when we chose to use it. The concentration we used was at the very low end of that recommended. Being based in the backwater of Australia, it took quite a while for us to find out about the growing incidence of sensitivity to MDGN in Europe. In fact the Australian agent (Chemiplas) for the manufacturer (Schulke & Mayre) of MDGN neglected to forward us a newsletter on this issue released by S&M and we almost took them to court over this issue. As soon as we became aware, we reformulated ALL of our "leave on" products containing MDGN (some 18 months ago). We are now also reformulating MDGN from out of our "wash off" products. Our Creamy Cleanser & Toner to which you refer no longer contains this preservative - see attached carton artwork. I should mention here that we have not received any significant complaints re irritancy for these products. There are probably several reasons for this

* We use high levels of antiinflammatory ingredients
* We used the MDGN at the very lowest levels
* It takes time for a population to show sensitivity reactions

Within a very short period of time MDGN will be removed from ALL formulations of The Purist Company.

With regard to fragrance allergens, any that are listed on our packaging are from the essential oils used in the formulae - they are not added separately. The levels at which these fragrance allergens must be present to require listing on the packaging is extremely low (0.001% for leave on and 0.01% for wash off products). It is extremely difficult to add ANY fragrance (essential oil of synthetic) without reaching these low levels in at least one or two allergens (exceptions are essential oils such as rosemary which are not very pleasing). It is also well known that a very low percentage of people are allergic to these materials. The Purist Company have a range of Unscented products for those concerned about allergies and sensitivities. I am also trying to develop pleasing fragrances (from essential oils) which are allergen free for upcoming new products.

I trust this allays some of your and your members concerns. I am the founder and formulator of The Purist Company. My goal is to provide people with naturally based personal care products at an affordable price which are highly effective and as safe as possible. We spare no expense on ingredients, dealing with reputable raw material suppliers, and adding a wide variety of actives of proven efficacy at effectively high dosages. This is why our products work and are luxurious to use. We have a huge data base of testimonials from people who have gained relief from various skin conditions and itchy scalps etc. We welcome in depth study of our formulations, and I have always been available to answer any technical queries.

Assuring you of our best intent.

Kind regards

Will Evans
Technical Director & Founder
The Purist Company Pty Ltd

I love this cleanser and will continue to use it Very Happy
kalegr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Regarding the reference to the attached carton artwork in my previous post, I repurchased this cleanser approximately 2 weeks ago and just checked the box it came in, MDGN (methyldibromo glutaronitrile) is not listed as an ingredient. Very Happy (I also checked the ingredients listed in the artwork attached to the email and those listed on the box the product came in and they are exactly the same).
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:31 am      Reply with quote
WOW, now that is an impressive response. Just the fact that the founder/formulator took such pains to explain everything in that much detail is incredible.

After talking with our lovely majorb when she first started using this, I have it on my shopping list to buy when i go home next month. Glad to hear it is even more improved ingredient wise. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:27 am      Reply with quote
WOW is right tiger_tim! I have to say that after reading the founders response I have alot of respect for this brand. He really seems to know his stuff! I am also glad that they have reformulated the products and think that I will try the Gel cleanser when my current stash runs out (this can take a while though!). I guess I will find out if my skin reacts to the sandalwood oil with long term use! Hopefully since it is at the end of the ingredient list it won't be a problem.

kalger I am really glad that you looked into this. Do you or anyone else know what they are using as preservatives now? Sorbates are mentioned but I get the impression that they can't be used in all the products because of pH issues.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |