Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

can charcoal masks cause breakouts???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chellsta
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I recently purchased and used Origins Charcoal mask and it gave me 2 big puss filled pimples. I was mad because i had managed to not have any break outs in months. . . knock on wood. When I went back to the origins counter, the rep told me that the mask is "supposed" to break you out the 1st time its used b/c the mask is drawing out toxins. He said thjat it will not break me out again but it was just an initiation thing Confused
As a resuly, I have not used the mask again. Should I return the thing??????? I know people rave on this mask and similar ones . . .can someone advise me on whether or not a breakout from a charcoal mask is expected/acceptable?

Clear Improvement® Active charcoal mask to clear pores
Here is the claim from the product ad . . .
When environmental toxins, dirt and debris get under your skin, its waste-filtering system gets jammed, pores get clogged, skin looks cloudy. Nature’s complexion clean-up crew gets to the bottom of skins overcast condition and clears the way for it to act its best. Activated Charcoal acts like a magnet to draw out deep-dwelling pore-cloggers, White China Clay absorbs environmental toxins, Lecithin dissolves impurities. Without all that “stuff” down there, skin “breathes a sigh of relief.”

Unfortunately, my face didn't have a sigh of relief. Could it have been the mask? Hormonal coincidence? Please do tell!

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
What did your skin look like other than the two pimples? Did it seem less conjested?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
It might be something else in the mask, not the charcoal, clogging your pores.

I managed to track down the ingredients (couldn't find them on the Origins website...boo).

Melilot (melilotus officinalis) and Equisetum Arvense Infusions**Kaolin**Bentonite**Butylene Gylcol**Montmorillonite**Polysorbate 20**Peg-100 Stearate**Activated Charcoal**Natural Xanthan Gum**Lecithin**Peg-150 Distearate**Propylene Glycol Stearate**Sorbitan Laurate**Glycerin**Propylene Gylcol Laurate**Simethicone**Trisodium EDTA**Dehydroacetic Acid**Phenoxyethanol**Methyl, Ethyl, Propyl, and Butylparaben**Iron Oxides.

Someone who knows more about ingredients will have to take over at this point and see if any of these are pore cloggers...but I'd bet your culprit is in there somewhere (though NOT necessarily the charcoal)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I could shed some light here, but unfortunately all I can say is that not only did this mask break me out, but it gave me a terrible rashed so I binned it. Disappointing!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Paris . . .Thank you for finding those ingredients for me. The web site does not list them. Any more feedback is welcome!!!!!!!

27 without sign of aging (yet), southern Cali resident, oily skin, I.D. Bare Minerals "buffer", Peter Thomas Roth lover, light skin complexion with golden undertones, naturally curly brown hair, brown eyes, race = Black, Irish, Cherokee.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
I wish I could shed some light here, but unfortunately all I can say is that not only did this mask break me out, but it gave me a terrible rashed so I binned it. Disappointing!

Liz, if you broke out with a rash I would say you are sensitive to one of the PEG derivatives, I am as well and I cannot use anything with them in it.

I'm guessing this broke you both out due to either the simethicone (a silicone/comedogenic) or the PEG derivatives (emollients/comedogenic).
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
dealated--- thanks for the info! What you said makes a lot of sense. That's actually why now I only use clay masks that I mix myself, like Dr. Hauschka's or Burts Bees', since they don't have any of those nasty fillers or additives that can clog pores or cause a reaction. Chellsta, if you decide to give up on the Origins, you may want to try one of those next--- they help with acne and they've never caused any kind of reaction for me.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |