Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

REVIEW: Burt's Bees Soap Bark/Chamomile Deep Clnsg. Crm.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
This is my review of Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Creme:

I bought this product at Target (the one near me is carrying a very limited amount of products from the BB range). I found it interesting that the tube said "97.00% natural" on the front - I guess the other 3% is not natural!

My reason for purchasing this product was because I'd run out of my cleansing milk (was using a non-descript brand my friend gave me - it cost $5 a bottle and I think its called "LeFemme") and actually wanted to try the product CareKate recommended from BB (orange cleansing cream?) but Target did not have it, so I bought this one instead. I like to use an oil or milk/cream product at night to remove my MMU and have found that some milk/cream cleansers just don't work well to remove makeup (I've been disappointed by PSF's Green Tea Facial Cleanser and YonKa's Lait Nettoyant). I am oily in my t-zone and find that my makeup has become "paste-like" on my face by the end of the day, though I must admit certain MMUs (namely, UGloGirl) make me less oily than others (namely, Alima, much to my dismay), so I need something that will cut through the oily paste at day's end. I made sure that this product indicated that it would remove makeup: "Natural Soap Bark deeply penetrates and cleanses, removing dirt, makeup and excess oil for clean, healthy skin."

Unfortunately, this product is not up to the task and its product description seems to be mostly hype!

To me, the true test of the effectiveness of a cleansing milk or cream is if it will dissolve makeup to where it can be rinsed away WITHOUT using a washcloth to rub it off (cleansing oils usually clear this testing hurdle for me). The PSF and YonKa products did not do this, nor did the BB product. However, the super-cheapo LaFemme worked every time, which goes to show you cannot judge a product based on packaging or cost!

The BB product comes out of the tube as a white, rather thickish consistency. Even though it contains soap bark, it does not foam and is a true cream. It has a subtle fragrance, one I cannot quite place, and one which I didn't exactly like or dislike. It spreads easily enough on the skin. The first time I used it I discovered it did not break down the MMU in my t-zone, and I had used it exactly as directed, wetting my face first then applying the cleanser and massaging the product over my face.

The next time I used it, I applied the product to my face WITHOUT wetting it first, thinking that the water just beaded up on my oily t-zone and that was causing the product to not be able to penetrate the oil/water layer. This techinque did not work either. The past week and 1/2 I've tried alternating wet application with dry application - and the product still fails to break down the MMU in my t-zone. I figure a cleanser is one of the products you're going to be able to tell right away if it works to remove makeup - it either does or it doesn't - you don't need a month's trial to see if it will work. This one does not work, at least on gals like me with an oily t-zone. It may be a nice product to use if you have more of a dry or sensitive complection. Combos and oilies - proceed with caution.

If I used a washcloth to remove the cleanser/makeup after massaging the cream over my skin, it did work better, but again, use of a washcloth is not how I judge the effectiveness of a cleanser - even plain water and a washcloth will pretty much remove anything.

The second prong of my test of a cleansing milk/cream's effectiveness is whether you see makeup on the cotton pad after toning your face. Sadly, after massaging this product into my skin for many minutes and rinsing until I practically flooded my tiny bathroom, I was left with a feeling of residue on my face AND I was seeing MAKEUP on my cotton pad after toning. That is a big no-no and to me means the product didn't work AT ALL. Even if I used a washcloth to remove the product/makeup, I still had a feeling of residue on my skin, though the cotton pad was a bit cleaner after toning. Interestingly, the BB directions for this product do not mention using a toner, rather they say "Rinse thoroughly and follow with your favorite Burt's Bees moisturizer."

Lastly, I think this product might actually be causing me to break out. I have some blemishes that have come up along the jawline since I've been using it and a cyst is forming under my right nostril. So very lovely!

Needless to say, I will NOT be repurchasing this product!

Information from their website:

Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Creme - 6 oz. (97.00% natural)

Product Description: This natural, rich cream cleanswer is all bark and no bite. Natural Soap Bark deeply penetrates and cleanses, removing dirt, makeup and excess oil for clean, healthy skin. Chamomile and Aloe gentle soothe and soften skin. Rosemary and Echinacea extracts reduce inflammation, tigthen pores, and increase cell renewal. You'll get a deep clean for naturally soft, fresh, healthy skin.

Won't clog pores
pH balanced
Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate Free
Paraben Free

Directions: Wet face and apply cleanser with fingertips or washcloth, massaging gently to loosen and remove dirt and makeup. Rinse thoroughly and follow with your favorite Burt's Bees moisturizer.

Ingredients: Water, sunflower oil, stearic acid (vegetable fat), vegetable glycerin, emulsifying wax, cocount oil, sodium borate (natural borax), cetyl alcohol, silica, glucose, witch hazel extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, chamomile extract echinacea (coneflower) extract, quillaja (soap bark) extract, cocoa butter, rosemary leaf extract, tocopherol (vitamin e), lemon oil, cilantro oil, tarragon oil, lavandin oil, jasmine oil, xanthan gum (natural thickener), sucrose stearate (sugar emulsifier), menthol, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase (natural preservative).
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |