Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the good age to start using anti-aging products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alexisvu
5% products discount

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

This is my 4th or 5th post on this forum, but I've been following the discussions here very closely. I totally love this forum! You guys are the best reviewers of skin care stuffs!

I'm 22 now. My skin is in great condition with no pimples, no spots or anything. I used sunscreen quite often (Murad's sunscreen), cleanse my face twice a day, exfoliate sometimes, using mask sometimes.

I always wonder at what age i should start using the anti-aging products (all the C-serum, HA, gycolic, etc...)?

Usually the packaging of anti-aging products says "Use when first sign of aging appears". What are the first signs of aging?

Any advice/tips on how to start taking care of skin during the early 20s will be greatly appreciated!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi alex, and welcome Smile .

It sounds like you have been taking good care of your skin. I would start using vitamin C serum ASAP as the C when combined with sunscreen offer greater protection against uv rays.

I am 26 and currently using glycolic acid at night to refine my pores.

Anti-aging should start now.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi alex, and welcome Smile .

It sounds like you have been taking good care of your skin. I would start using vitamin C serum ASAP as the C when combined with sunscreen offer greater protection against uv rays.

I am 26 and currently using glycolic acid at night to refine my pores.

Anti-aging should start now.

I agree, HA doesn't do anything for prevention, it just helps to hydrate and plump the skin. Stick with antioxidants, avoid the sun, keep your skin hydrated, use glycolics/acids occasionally/as needed and try to not use cleansers with detergents. Welcome to the forum Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
At your age I would just use preventives (not glycolic). These include Vit C (most important), green tea (both internal and topically and a good sun screen.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like you are taking very good care of your skin, kudos to you!

At your age I would add an anti-oxidant but would not worry about adding too much else...

For anti-oxidants I use the blueberry mask by Ice Elements and the new Edelweiss serum. You would not need the Edelweiss serum at your age, however the mask is very nice and it smells so yummy! This is what it says on http://iceelements.com about it in case you are looking to try something new:

==========
Blueberry Fusion Mask

Rejuvenate and indulge your skin in the finest ingredients nature has to offer. This Aloe Vera based facial firming beauty treatment is ideal for all skin types. This is formulated with anti-oxidant rich 100% real Blueberries and Soy protein to protect from free radical damage that can prematurely age the skin. Our natural marine extract helps improve skin firmness while hyaluronic acid, and Antarcticine keep skin well hydrated and supple.

Deliciously Refreshing!

Ice Elements Blueberry Fusion Firming Mask Features:

* Formulated with antioxidant-rich blueberries to help protect from free radical damage
* Helps firm skin in 10 minutes to help give it a
temporary lifted and tight look while providing
long-term benefits from antioxidants with continued use
* Special blend of aloe, Antarcticine (glyco-protein
that locks in hydration), blueberries, soy and marine extracts
* Helps skin look plump, vibrant and firm
* No artificial color or fragrance

Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Hydropol), Prolylene Glycol, Vaccinium Angustafolium (Blueberry), Algae Extract Pullulan, Glycerin, Rebaudigna Extract (Stevia), Soy protein, Rubus Fruiticosus (Blackberry) Fruit Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyquaternium 10, Hyaluronic Acid, Psuedoaltermonis Ferment (Antarcticine) Extract, Xantham gum, Methylparaben, Diazolidnyl Urea
=========

Take care.
Bosoxy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Smile HI Alexisvu, thought you may be interested in this tidbit:-)

In 2005 European females aged 15-30 spent as much as US men on anti-aging products, $11 million USD - pretty amazing isn't it! Amy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
AmyNaturDerm wrote:
Smile HI Alexisvu, thought you may be interested in this tidbit:-)

In 2005 European females aged 15-30 spent as much as US men on anti-aging products, $11 million USD - pretty amazing isn't it! Amy

Yikes! Let's hope that it's so little because they are all just buying C serums and nothing else Wink That's how much the women of EDS spend in a year Laughing
horris
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
alexisvu, you really put me into shames. Embarassed

i'm 29 and i have the same question as you do -- should i start using the anti-aging products? I guess the anser is a clear yes. Could you one advise what kind of serum/products a 29 year old dry skin should use? many thanks in anticipation
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Horris,

I just posted about a fantabulous deal on an Ice Elements try me kit that is just crazy cheap, especially since it includes 1/2 oz of the Anti-Aging serum which is something that I would highly recommend that you try.

I posted it here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18230

Take care.
Bosoxy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Alexis - I agree with all of the above except I would point out that you stated you used sunscreen "often." You should change that to "every day" when it comes to your face. And try not to mess around with your hormones too much. Smile
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Alexis, great that you use sunscreen! I'm the same age as you and have just started investing more in skincare. As for my daily routine, I cleanse with my Clarisonic brush (great for removing flakes, improving texture and helping my active sink in better), apply my active (IS Clinical Active Serum, stellar combo of AHA/BHA, arbutin & kojic acid) and then moisturizer afterwards. Ever since starting this regimen my skin has been happy and healthy. I recommend a AHA/BHA product because it exfoliates the superficial dead-skin layer of the skin, increasing cell turnover thereby revealing a smoother and more refined texture, while improving skin resiliency and elasticity by increasing collagen production. When you use any AHA/BHA product, it is important to use sunscreen everyday.
alexisvu
5% products discount

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your compliments Smile I think I'm quite genetically blessed because during my puberty I rarely had pimples or outbreak. And thanks everyone for the advice/tips Smile

To Jax: what do you mean by not messing too much with my hormones? I'm quite curious here...

I have another silly question: is taking Vit C pills (the normal supplement pills) the same as using C-serum? If not then what's the difference the C-serum make on skin?

So I scouted the Product Review on this forum, and was overwhelmed on the many C-serums out there. How do you guys know which one is right for you? Or just try them all? At my age it's really hard to see the difference the serums make on my skin (since I have no wrinkle to smooth out), thus it's hard to tell which one is effective on me. Please advise!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Alexis, I'm the same age as you as well Smile
My routine is simple right now: besides cleansing and sunscreen, I'm just using a hydrating eye cream (PSF), moisturizer, and the ISC Active Serum to clear up my skin and help with exfoliation (Thanks dollbird for the recommendation, my skin is clearing up like crazy! )

However, when my skin settles down, I plan to add a Vit C serum and hope that's enough anti-oxidents!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
bosoxy, thanks very much for the recommendation... i would probably rush for 5 sets Razz
radiantface
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
In my 20s, I always put on sunscreen rain or shine. Now, I am in my 30s but a lot of people think I am in my 20s and still in university!

So my advice is: sunscreen is the key in your 20s.

As my first wrinkle appear, I am nipping it quickly before it gets worse. I am trying out Decleor's Vitaroma Wrinkle Prevention and Face Emulsion. Also, I have started using the Derma Wand. Will let you know how effective these two products are in 12 weeks' time.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
Alexis - I didn't mean to be presumptuous mentioning the hormones but I was referring to birth control pills. Gads, there are new ones now that stop periods entirely. There are many changes that take place in aging skin that are hormonal, so my remark was meant to warn you that fooling around with hormones can accelerate those aging signs. Pregnancy can also change skin quickly and dramatically via hormone imbalances. So, if you want children, start today... Smile Typically, your body can rebound from changes like this when you're in your 20's but as you near your 30-mark, you'll start seeing weird things on your face, small at first, then more. So just be aware. Some of the brown spots on my formerly porcelain face are the result of hormones. It all adds up eventually and you want to stay at zero-sum for as long as possible. Wink
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:13 am      Reply with quote
horris wrote:
bosoxy, thanks very much for the recommendation... i would probably rush for 5 sets Razz

You are quite welcome, horris!

If you decide to try it, please let me know what you think.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:24 am      Reply with quote
For the first question - I'm 29 now, and didn't start on anti-ageing until I was about 25.. when I saw fine forehead lines and panicked (and now very neurotic about this)! So at 22, if your skin is good, I would take very good care of it (which it sounds like you do). I agree with everyone that adding an anti-oxidant serum would be a great choice.

Bosoxy: How is the Ice Elements line? I'm curious about it and the price of the try me kits are amazing (but the shipping to Canada is high!) - what results do you get with the AA serum?
nutella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Boohoo...My forehead has got some fine lines as well. Sad I really should start using anti-aging skincare. I'm 29 btw. I do use la prairie serum but it doesnt seem to do much to the fine lines.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi maiea!

I love the Ice Elements line! I just made some comments about the AA serum over here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=178571#178571

And I believe that Rufus had 5 of the holiday kits shipped to CA for less than $15.

For me when I started using Ice Elements I started with a big kit that had the creme cleanser, AA serum, normal to dry lotion, eye cream, blueberry mask, toner and body lotion... plus I ordered the sample pack of the 2 minute miracle exfoliation gel.

My skin was very dry and slightly red with some breakouts, blackheads, etc.. and I saw dramatic results within 3 weeks.

Since I did not add the AA serum to an existing routine, it is hard to specifically say what the serum alone did for me, however I can say that it is very hydrating and I notice that if I do not use it. It also does help with spot treating blemishes. Before the acne serum came out if I had a blemish I would go over any blemish with a touch extra of the AA serum after doing my entire face... It has unfiltered tea tree oil in it that aids in the healing, along with the hydropol which reduces redness.

I also noticed a lessening of the lines and wrinkles that I did have. I also understand that the makeup of the AA serum should reduce the appearance of aging... so that over time my skin will not age as quickly as it would have without it.

Take care.
Bosoxy.

5% products discount

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
To Jax: Thanks for the insight! I never know that hormones can cause skin aging. I'm currently single and have never been on the pills before, so I guess i'm safe there Smile

I really want to try out the Ice elements kit, but I dread the shipping cost since I just moved to Singapore in June. Now I understand how convenient it is to live in USA Sad

By the way, is DMAE an anti-oxidant serum too?
Dremu oil advertised that people used Emu oil to smooth wrinkles, is it also another kind of anti-oxidant?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Dealated, you aren't kidding!! I look at some of the postings of what people are using and I think - holey moley - talk about a budget!! Amy

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |