Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Is DMAE dehydrating?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Didi
5% products discount

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I've been using DMAE from skincarecentral for about a couple of weeks, and my skin is looking really dehydrated. I don't know if there's a connection or not, and was hoping someone could give me an opinion. Also, if you put something moisturising on top, is it able to penetrate the DMAE? I am keen to keep going with the DMAE because sagging is a problem - maybe there is something I could use with it, if it is drying? I'm also using Cellex Vit C (20%) in the am (using DMAE pm), and maybe that's drying too? Previously I was using Prevage, not Cellex, and my skin looked better.

TIA for any help with this
Diane Smile
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Both DMAE and Vitamin C can be drying.
I think that emu oil would be a good option as a moisturiser.
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I used a sample of skincarecentral's DMAE just around my eyes. I did not find it drying as I used my regular eye gel on top.

PS I also apply Vit C under eyes and have had no problems.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
I recently added DMAE to my routine but use it only on my neck up to and on my jawline. I don't find it drying at all and I have normal to dry skin. I got mine at a vitamin store so I don't know if yours might contain other ingredients. DMAE is now in so many face creams, I'd say you could use just about any moisturizer on top of it once it dries. I haven't read anything about other ingredients cancelling it out (like the copper vs. vitamin C).
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I find it a bit drying if I don't put something hydrating over it.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
is it because the ha in ingredient ?
Didi
5% products discount

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks very much for your replies, great help. Do you think Camellia oil would be ok rather than emu? - I've got Camellia oil! Laughing
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
I think the form from skincentral is the amine form, I've been using the b form for several months and have absolutely no drying at all. I think the ph in the amine form is a bit tricky ect...therefore some dehydrating. I've read on other threads about this drying and its all from the amine form. I don't see this with the ladies using the b form...hope that helps
Didi
5% products discount

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, that is interesting - thanks a lot for that.
CrazyForClooney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have dry skin and am using the skincarecentral DMAE around eyes and entire face and really loving it. Vit C can be drying also as mentioned. Also, any serum with hyaluronic acid in it (which this DMAE has) really needs to be have a moisturizer applied immediately over it (seal it in!) to get the full benefits of the hyaluronic acid. I don't know how to explain it well, but HA draws/pulls in moisture, if there isn't any moisture to draw/pull in, then you get a dry, parched look. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know whether Candy's DMAE is in the amine form or b form?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Didi - I'm using both skincarecentral's and PSF DMAE. They have high pH values (I think around 7.5-8 and 10 respectively) and I find them to be drying. BUT they're also very effective for lifting/tightening my eye area and for reducing the appearance of two creases on the front of my neck, so all I do is add a little moisture (generally my oily SS is enough but in the eye area, I first apply a bit of moisturizer) AFTER waiting a while to allow the DMAE to work.

There's been a lot posted so far on other threads about DMAE. The amine form is supposed to be more effective, but needs to be at a high pH (around 10) to replicate the results achieved in the Johnson and Johnson trials which showed a definite lifting effect -- this according to Darren of PSF.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Psssst MelissaMarie - I think what you're using IS the amine form unless you've switched off from Candy's.

You REALLY gotta cut back on those lunchtime cocktails Razz Razz Razz
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
Psssst MelissaMarie - I think what you're using IS the amine form unless you've switched off from Candy's.

You REALLY gotta cut back on those lunchtime cocktails Razz Razz Razz

shhhhhhh, who waits for lunch...a wee bit of vodka in morning o.j. Candy's isn't the amine form, it was at first, but due to the hazards, ect of formulating with it, shes using the B form now...and it works great!!!!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've mentioned this on another thread in which the biohazard of DMAE has been suggested. DMAE is used in, for instance, fertilizers and other agricultural products for its catalytic properties. Any biohazard warnings pertain to handling large, industrial quantities.

It's even taken orally and has been shown in some, but not all, studies to help cognitive function.

BTW, in what I've read so far, there hasn't been a distinction made between the biohazard of handling large quantities of amine vs. bitartrate forms of DMAE.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
You guys are all starting to talk over my head Embarassed I may need some dmae for the aforementioned cognitive fumction...my cognitive has stopped functionning after all the yammering about ph in dmae vs. something or other & what goes on first & whose is drying. Reminds of 'who's on first...' the Abbott & Costello routine. I actually stand in front of the mirror not knowing what to do first...

Melissa pass the booze Rolling Eyes
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
You guys are all starting to talk over my head Embarassed I may need some dmae for the aforementioned cognitive fumction...my cognitive has stopped functionning after all the yammering about ph in dmae vs. something or other & what goes on first & whose is drying. Reminds of 'who's on first...' the Abbott & Costello routine. I actually stand in front of the mirror not knowing what to do first...

rofl moi aussi! rofl
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Boy, I couldn't agree more about the problems of proper application of treatments, etc. It's making my head spin and I wonder if there are enough hours in a day -- or enough skin (gives new meaning to the expression "two-faced") -- to use all of this stuff effectively Rolling Eyes

I'll pass on the vodka, but substitute a nice pinot noir!
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:

LMAO...I agree and heres what I know, I slap it all on my face in whatever order I feel like at the moment, and wow, I manage to get results without freaking out and going to a ph strip or dictionary every morning..so as long as it works that leaves more time for me to sip some vodka..... Wink !!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing....

You know, I was reading something about formulations on another board and one of the primo formulators there uses VODKA as a base!

Now THAT'S my kinda skincare Wink
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi Didi - I'm using both skincarecentral's and PSF DMAE. They have high pH values (I think around 7.5-8 and 10 respectively) and I find them to be drying. BUT they're also very effective for lifting/tightening my eye area and for reducing the appearance of two creases on the front of my neck, so all I do is add a little moisture (generally my oily SS is enough but in the eye area, I first apply a bit of moisturizer) AFTER waiting a while to allow the DMAE to work.

There's been a lot posted so far on other threads about DMAE. The amine form is supposed to be more effective, but needs to be at a high pH (around 10) to replicate the results achieved in the Johnson and Johnson trials which showed a definite lifting effect -- this according to Darren of PSF.

April - I'm curious why you use two different DMAEs? Because yours are drying, I'm wondering if mine is not very effective. What is the "PSF" brand you referred to? Can you tell I'm somewhat new to this ingredient? Thanks for any info...
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhhh I always thought Candy's dmae WAS amine!!! I can't stand the smell of some of those amine solutions ..... peeeeeeeeeeee yewwwwwwwwww!!!

The thing I don't understand about the amine serums is that in order to use an active with SUCH a high pH, you have to mix it with some kind of acid like tartrate to bring the pH down. Once you do that, from strictly a chemical standpoint, it looks to me like what you end up with is essentially bitartrate Rolling Eyes !?!?!?!

No???

This stuff drives me so crazy sometimes... Crying or Very sad
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Katee welcome to the party Laughing !! Candy's was amine long ago, but she long since stopped using the amine and switched to the b..and btw it smells devine...no dead for a month fish stink... Dancing !!

ps..Katee dear, the vodka face cream sounds great, what a fab way to hide my breakfast habit Angel
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jax - I'm only using both brands of DMAE because I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new PSF formula, after reading Darren and Amy's dialogue on another recent DMAE thread! You may want to check it out. Each has done the job -- I only got the PSF a couple of days ago and I really like it. But it's just too soon yet to tell if it's working better. If you're experiencing a tightening effect and like the results from your DMAE product, I wouldn't worry about it -- consider yourself lucky if it hasn't caused any dryness and keep using it!

But when I say they're drying, it's not to suggest that, for me anyway, it can't be easily overcome with my oily SS and/or moisturizer. The tightening effect is worth the fleeting fishy scent and bit of dryness.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, April - I'm going to check if there's an expiration date on my bottle because now that you've mentioned the fishy smell I recall when I first opened the bottle to test it, it did smell a bit off. Also, it used to leave a whitish cast on my skin. Neither of these characteristics remain. I guess I should be keeping it in the refrigerator instead of on my makeup table which is right under a set of windows! I'll bet mine is devoid of any benefits...duh hmm First, I'm going to search those other threads.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |