Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Ormonde Jayne Fragrance Experience...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I've been keeping a diary for over a week as I sample the Ormonde Jayne line of fragrances. Smoothskin turned me on to their sample programme after a beautiful review of Ormonde Jayne Ta'if.

You can only purchase the fragrances from www.ormondejayne.com or visiting the store in London. No other retailers (authorized anyway) sell them.

I ordered them and within a week, I was sampling them. When you order their samples (20 GBP, around 37 or 38 USD) you get all ten fragrances, two of which are for men. They are the EDP, though most of the fragrances come in a parfum (1.7 oz for 112 GBP), EDP (1.7 oz. for 58 GBP), Parfum d'OR Natural (a solid perfume, .5 oz for 44 GBP), Essential Bathing oil (3.4 oz for 48 GBP), Shower creme (6.8 oz for 28 GBP), Body (6.8 oz. ml to 34 GBP). They also have three gift sets ranging from 60 GBP to 170 GBP.

Day ONE:
Isfarkand: This is actually a man's scent, though when it first came out (named Isfahan), I'm not sure it was designated as "pour homme" as I came across a few online reviews by women. So I decided to wear it.

Website description: "Beautifully balanced notes of lime, mandarin and bergamot all wrapped up in pink pepper, cedar, vetiver and moss."

- Top: Lime, mandarin and bergamot
- Heart: Pink Pepper
- Base: Cedar, vetiver and moss

This really warmed up wonderfully on me and I loved it from the 1st minute. I think this is the scent that was spritzed on tissue paper that came with set. I wore it while working a show at a local bar and to my joy, smelled it all night and even a bit the next morning. Unfortunately only comes in EDP right now, no body lotion (though the other men's fragrance, Ormonde Man, does have a body lotion). A good way to start my journey!

DAY TWO:
Osmanthus: This one was more "perfumey" and flowery. And in my opinion, it smells like something I might be able to buy in a department store. Right after the first minute, it turns somewhat citrus-y (though not lemony). My first thoughts were it was not "me" as much as Isfarkand. The citrus goes away after 20-30 minutes but at this point it was still almost too floral or something. I'd wear it if I had a bottle of it, but I waited for it to "tweak" into something a bit deeper. 30 minutes later it hadn't yet. I wasn't sure if this was making me headachey or if it was just my sinuses as I was getting over a cold. Almost an hour later it seemed to possibly be tweaking a bit, I liked the undertone(I think it's the vetiver, cedar wood, and resin I like, maybe that's why I like the first one so much), but the flowery upper note, not so much. This one faded VERY quickly, within a few hours and became very soft (too soft?). For me it would probably be better layering with lotion. However it
never truly developed the way I'd hoped. Just too flowery for me I feel. Just kind of mundane, not "deeply" gorgeous.

Website description: A fruity floral white flower from Japan and China. Like a deliciously crisp spring day, this uplifting creation with Japanese Osmanthus absolute is a beautifully composed bouquet of flowers, embellished with golden citrus notes. Layered on a bed of Egyptian sweet herbs, it is intense, fresh and yet uncomplicated.
- Top: Pomello, davana (sweet Egyptian herb), pimento
- Heart: Osmanthus absolute, water lily and sambac (Indian Jasmine)
- Base: Cedarwood, labdanum resin, musk and vetivert

DAY THREE:
Frangipani: This one was Flower-y but not "perfumey" like Osmanthus. To me it was reminiscent at first of the American Eagle fragrance I used to wear when I was younger (Aura?). This is much more of a "bouquet" scent with a hint of tropical. I like this better than Osmanthus, but in a different way than Isfarkand. This is more for a fancy dinner, like once in a while. Not everyday. It is very feminine and more unique than Osmanthus. I think people might take notice with this one. 20-30 minutes later...it was still very very nice. It faded a lot, by 2 hours, it was very faint...but not necessarily a bad thing. It would probably do very well with a lotion. To me, it's like walking on a tropical beach. However, it smells like something (about 2.5 hours later) I've tried before: Vera Wang? I can't place it but definitely something similar that I've tried. Very feminine and sophisticated. Almost like I'd wear this once I got a "real" job in an office...to fancy for a grad student to wear every day. I really liked it at first, maybe great for a date night, but since it fades into something I feel I've tried before, it's got me wondering. I'm thinking it would be a great summer scent. By 8 pm (6 hours later) I noticed I couldn't smell it at all much anymore...very very faint. Disappointing in staying power...for the money my Sake lasts a lot longer.

Website description: With its large elegant cream coloured petals, frangipani is perhaps the queen of all tropical flowers. The heart of the structure is a fabulous heady fusion of frangipani, jasmine and tuberose absolutes, elevated with plum, water lilies and green orchid oil. The scent has great foundations and architecture, the notes are soft, captivating and unforgettable.
- Top: Linden blossom, magnolia flower and lime peel
- Heart: White frangipani, jasmine, rose and tuberose absolutes, water lilies, plum, and green orchid oil
- Base: Amber, musk, cedar and French vanilla absolute

DAY FOUR:
Sampaquita: Floral but not sweet like the other two, not "bouquet-y" like Frangipani. Doesn't really "wow" me right off the bat. It is soft and goes on already really light. I was not impressed right away...thinking maybe I'd like it more if it were deeper, stronger. However, I noticed in Arabic class (around noon, 3 hours later) I could still smell it pretty well but it reminded me of fabric softener/dryer sheets. By 5p or 6p I could still smell it (better staying power than other florals) and it no longer smelled like dryer sheets, but for most of the day I felt like I smelled merely like "clean laundry" but I am very happy with the staying power of this scent. I wish the other ones had this kind of staying power. This would last well all day layered with lotion.

Website description: Literally translated as "I Promise You", Sampaquita flower is a symbol of purity and fragility, coupled with fidelity and resolve.
The scent opens with an unmistakable summer bouquet, bursting forth with sun-kissed lychee set on a canvas of bergamot, grass oil and magnolia flowers in full seductive bloom.
The marriage of these elements, together with a dusky floral heart of sampaquita absolute, freesia and muguet, combine to form a fusillade of fabulous intensity. An inspired quartet of base notes, musk, vetiver, moss and ambrette seed, unify and harmonise this sensational summer scent.

- Top: Lychee, grass oil, bergamot and magnolia
- Heart: Sampaquita absolute, freesia, muguet, rose and water lilies
- Base: Musk, vetivert, moss and ambrette seed

DAY FIVE:
Champaca: This is the best one (after Isfarkand) so far. Not flower-y...this is definitely more ME than the other floral ones. Though it does smell "familiar" this one is fabulous. This scent "renewed" my interest in trying the other ones, as I was getting kinda disheartened. Very light, not too overpowering or sweet. I like that your not suddenly hit with "flowers, flowers and more flowers." As the day progressed I declared to myself: I LOVE THIS! It's like sunshine. I smelled the musk (took me all day to put my finger on just what element it was that I loved). I could do this fragrance all year round, or save it for a summer fragrance. I truly loved how this developed on me...just wonderful. While I thought at first it might smell like something I could get at Bath and Body Works, it deepened wonderfully and really works with me. This is definitely going on my list to buy at some point. Fabulous. Happy. Dynamic.

Website description: A tiny pale orange flower from India. Related to the magnolia and deemed sacred in the Indus Valley, Champaca flower absolute is a heavenly, creamy floral scent - both elegant and intimate. Blended with neroli and bamboo and underscored with fragrant rice and green tea notes, this is a distinguished perfume of rare beauty.

- Top: Neroli, pink pepper and bamboo
- Heart: Champaca and freesia absolutes, basmati notes
- Base: Myrrh, green tea notes and musk

DAY SIX:
Ta'if: This one is one that I've been waiting to try, especially after Smoothskin's gorgeous description. It is spicy at first...very complex and dynamic right away. You can tell there are many layers to this, not flat like some of the others. Very alluring. Within a few minutes I could smell a powdery element...but not in any way bad or "heachache-y." Very elegant and sophisticated and very very unique, unlike anything I've experienced. The powdery element gives it kind of a innocent, almost girlish accent...I could smell the vanilla mixing with the musk. This is very different from Champaca, but you can't really compare the two. This is sensual, mature yet playful. It was a rainy, dreary (great day actually) and this made my day brighter.
Wow...over 12 hours later I could still smell it (not super strong but still impressive!) I kept smelling myself all day...the most dominate notes for me were the rose, vanilla, and musk. This is very sensual, almost feel it should only be worn at night...it's too special to wear every day. For this reason, I'm not sure I would make it my first purchase...but this is something I definitely want a bottle of for going out on fancy dinners. It's so elegant...wonderful! Again, going on my list of wants.

Website description: A damask rose from Arabia.
TaŽif, a town rising 5000 ft above the shores of The Red Sea and overlooking the Arabian desert, is renowned for its plantations of TaŽif rose.

TaŽif by Ormonde Jayne is an intoxicating and audacious rose scent. This perfume dislikes daylight preferring dusk, the night, parties, promises and assignations. It is an opulent composition which makes a bold entrance and is confident enough to sweep everyone else to one side - a real belle of the ball. TaŽif is flamboyant but also sophisticated, a torrid blend of saffron, pink pepper, rose, dark sappy tree resins and broom - it is dynamic, daring and madly in love with life.

- Top: Pink pepper, saffron and dates
- Heart: Rose oil, freesia, orange flower absolute and jasmine
- Base: Broom and amber

DAY SEVEN:
Tolu: Wow...this is awesome. Powdery, but sooooo exotic. So different. This is sultry, sexy, Mysterious. Alluring...all the qualities I love...and oh so unique!!! This is more wintry I feel, not something for the summer, definitely. I smell incense and to me is "very wintery". The staying power was fabulous on this. However, when I tried this again yesterday, it was almost too cloying. I'm wondering if it was just because of how my sinuses were acting up, or something else...I was in LOVE with this the day I tried it, but when I went back to it I kind of put on the brakes. The drydown was not so sweet, the spicy I loved was coming through again, but I'm going to re-visit this one after I've taken a break from going back and forth between all of them...kind of to "clear my palate" if you will.

Website description: A Peruvian tree resin.
Perfume treasure, this opulent velvety formulation with pure Tolu resin takes you on a sensual Oriental journey. Laced with golden frankincense and amber, the scent's core is enveloped with a heady mix of orange blossom and clary sage, while intense citrus notes consolidate the harmony.

- Top: Juniper berry, orange blossom and clary sage
- Heart: Orchid, Moroccan rose and muguet
- Base: Tolu, tonka bean, golden frankincense and amber

DAY EIGHT:
Ormonde Woman: I was not sure about how I felt on this one at first. I had this impression in my head the way it would be, but it was completely different. The Black Hemlock added a little "spruce" to it...almost too much. When I got to campus I decided it wasn't for me. But as I sat in Arabic (yes, I know I should be paying attention to my teacher Laughing ) catching it every once in a while, I wasn't so sure. Someone came in and complimented that someone smelled good in the room. The scent didn't last as long as I had hoped though. But layered with lotion, it would be very nice. I wore this again last night when I went out and truly loved it. It's got a mysterious quality that I love...something that no one else would be wearing. This is definitely on my list...which is growing to big considering how much a bottle is!

Website description: Beginning and ending with the unique scent of Black Hemlock absolute - rarely used in such luscious quality and quantity - this utterly hypnotic, unconventional and mysterious woody essence is combined with jasmine and violet absolute to create a dusky, seductive perfume.

- Top: Cardamom, coriander and grass oil
- Heart: Black hemlock, violet and jasmine absolute
- Base: Vetivert, cedar wood, amber and sandalwood

DAY NINE:
Orris Noir: This one I did not like one bit. It was instantly cloying for me, I didn't even wait for the drydown (which I probably should of, and I probably will try it again) but I didn't like it. I ended up washing it off after 15 minutes. I usually like Iris, but this was too much for me.

Website description: The Iris flower is named after the Greek Goddess of the rainbow, the messenger of the Gods and the Black Iris of Amman is the Royal symbol of the Kings of Jordan. Thriving in a landscape of ample sun, it is a rich, purple black flower of smouldering beauty. This dark, spicy Oriental scent is for those who want to leave their mark.
A spellbinding perfume, Orris Noir is a rich, seductive aria of unmistakable individuality.

Captivating notes of davana, pink pepper, cardamom, iris, coriander seed, bergamot, sambac absolut pimento berries, bay cinnamon, incense, myrrh, patchouli, Chinese cedar saffron and civet. A truly entrancing perfume, Orris Noir is not for shrinking violets.

- Top: Davana, Pink Pepper, Coriander Seed, Bergamot
- Heart: Iris, Sambac Absolute, Pimento Berries, Bay
- Base: Incense, Myrrh, Patchouli, Chinese Cedar, Gaiac

DAY TEN: AS OF NOW, I'D CHOOSE: Well, I can't decide. If I could buy whatever I wanted right now, I'd buy a bottle of Ta'if, Champaca, and Ormonde Woman.

I spritzed Isfarkand and it changed for me...the masculine elements was really evident in my second try. Again, I'm not sure if it's because of something my body is doing or not, because the first time I tried this I couldn't possibly fathom how it could be a "man only" scent.

In three weeks, I'm going to revisit: Ta'if, Ormonde Woman, Tolu, Isfarkand, and Champaca.

I've also got a sample of Serge Lutens Arabie on the way, I decided I needed to sample this one before making a decision. I also have some sample vials from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab coming. I'm determined to find a new, unique scent for me. But a few of these Ormonde Jayne scents made quite the impression and I'd love to own them.

Overall, this sample programme is excellent. I highly recommend it to the fragrance lover. You get enough for several days use in each vial, and with 8 vials for women and 2 for men, it's well worth the investment. Shipping is free (unlike the huge shipping fee they charge if you order a bottle, at least to the United States) and would make an excellent Christmas gift.
http://www.ormondejayne.com/shop_scents_sample.php

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! thank you for that - I found your remarks utterly fascinating and hopefully my samples will arrive soon! I'm praying they're not stuck in some mailman's bag in this minus 30 weather either LOL!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I've been so looking forward to reading this. Thank you!

I can't wait to be able to order these samples to try for myself.
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
My samples came yesterday and this morning it's all I can do not to go scrub off the one I chose first --- Frangipani...

When first going on it reminded me of nail polish remover and sitting at my desk an hour later I feel nauseous.. Sad

Wish I'd started with something less cloying. Oh dear, hope this isn't a bad omen for the rest of them.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Perfume is such a personal thing and it is fascinating to read your scent diary Paris Troika. Very Happy

Hope some of the others who have sampled this maker will post their thoughts as well.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Paris - your description of the fragrances were wonderful, much better than mine would have been I think. Laughing
I did end up liking the Ormonde Woman the best overall after trying a few of them a second time, but just could not fall in love with any of them. At least not to the tune of $200 a pop! I will finish the bottles up though, except for the Orris Noir and the Frangipani. I have already given them away!
Although I do think all of these scents are highly unusual and very unique, they didn't smell "right" on me. I do however think they are well worth the money just to try the kit out, even just to have something really different to spray on occasionally! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Dahli wrote:
My samples came yesterday and this morning it's all I can do not to go scrub off the one I chose first --- Frangipani...

When first going on it reminded me of nail polish remover and sitting at my desk an hour later I feel nauseous.. Sad

Wish I'd started with something less cloying. Oh dear, hope this isn't a bad omen for the rest of them.

I actually did scrub this off before dry-down. I couldn't wait to get it off . It honestly reminded me of bug spray or something. It was definitely my least favorite of all the scents! Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
The Frangipani by 3 yesterday afternoon was still too sharp and only around 5, did I like the way it smelled. It was warm and full and faint but lovely. Unfortunately that's too painful and waaaaaay too long to wait.

Today I'm trying Tolu, this one isn't working on me either but it's only an hour in.

Not sure why but I also noticed they all smell so very similar, in the bottle anyway. There are differences but something underneath that my nose picks up is too much the same. Crying or Very sad

I like the men's fragrance (in the bottle) most so far but we'll see how it works on me and/or my DH.
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:14 am      Reply with quote
i'd like to use one perfume from the begining to the end. Laughing
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
The Tolu yesterday just as it was getting 'nice' would be gone just POOF! so I had to reapply it a lot to see if it was something I liked... so that isn't going to work.

Today I've decided to try the Ormonde Woman, at first it was almost menthol sharp or something that catches in the throat but as the morning goes on it is nice in an elusive kind of way I'd have to say.

This adventure is interesting but unfortunately my husband likes none so far Confused
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
The Ormonde Woman has turned out to be my favourite so far... by the end of the day yesterday I was enjoying the way it was on me and would definitely wear it again. Not sure if I'd actually purchase it though.

This morning is Ta'if and this one absolutely has possibilities so far verrry nice... We shall see. Smile
stich

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:44 am      Reply with quote
Hello ladies,

I purchased the samples awhile agao but I would have to say Ta'if is my favorite so far. I would have to spray on mslef again. All the perfumes are good quality fragrances and I think Ormande Jane has a perfume house in London.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinÂź |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |