Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Anyone ever tried Kombucha tea?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Apparently it's this Chinese tea that's fermentated for at least 30 days. It's supposed to contain all kinds of amino acids, probiotics, and other stuff that's good for your skin and hair, so I picked up a bottle at Wild Oats. It tastes terrible, like carbonated vinegar, blech! But I'm trying to choke it down so I can receive the skin benefits... Has anyone else ever tried this stuff?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I remember trying it once in Arizona. And you're right about the taste - just like vinegar. I have found a great herbal blend now though that has Echinacea and Kombucha and it just tastes like a pleasant herbal tea. Not sure if it has all the same benefits but it is supposed to be great for boosting the immune system.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
A little OT.. I have once dabbled in those home brew health drinks - the dreaded kefir. It is supposed to be the mother of yoghurt, more nutritious and has more probiotic activity than yoghurt. You put these little seeds into milk and let it ferment, and once I went overboard and fermented for 3 days at room temperature..... I had the *worst* case of bad guts ever.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:34 am      Reply with quote
I actually used to brew kombucha. My best friend gave me a SCOBY (I think that's the acronym for the thing that you use) and I drank it regularly. The taste kind of grows on you...

I never noticed any amazing benefits, but I was pretty healthy and I'm sure that helped. When I moved it just seemed like too much of a hassle to try to figure out how to move it... there are a lot of "rules" to follow in growing them.

I tried to find the links I used to learn more about it but I think I deleted them last time I redid my harddrive, so a quick google:

http://www.kombuchatea.co.uk/

http://www.write101.com/kombucha.htm

If you post an ad at your local health store or something you will probably find someone willing to give you a starter... basically every brew "cycle" creates a new one so pretty soon you'll have too many to know what to do with!

If anyone has any specific questions you can PM me, or ask here. Also--I used a mix of black tea and green tea which I preferred to the all black.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:13 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Apparently it's this Chinese tea that's fermentated for at least 30 days. It's supposed to contain all kinds of amino acids, probiotics, and other stuff that's good for your skin and hair, so I picked up a bottle at Wild Oats. It tastes terrible, like carbonated vinegar, blech! But I'm trying to choke it down so I can receive the skin benefits... Has anyone else ever tried this stuff?

Liz -- your post made me smile Smile .

When I was about 25-26 I "grew and brewed" my own kombucha. My best girlfriend and I were (and still are) always on some kick and did kombucha for about 10-12 months.

My boyfriend (now DH) couldn't stand it...both the tea and the process since it STUNK up our pantry. I swear he practically threw a party the day I threw out the kombucha culture. I didn't stop drinking it for any specific reason other than, back then, I grew bored pretty easily Wink and didn't want to deal with the whole brewing process.

I never liked the taste of the tea, but I agree that it grew on me after a while. I don't remember any specific health/skin benefits. Hmmmm...I wonder what my skin would look like now if I had kept drinking it???

Marla

PS -- you've checked out the SeaChi site, right? Kombucha products/skincare. I'm pretty sure she sells the "babies" if you ever decide to brew your own.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz...try Yogi Kombucha Green Tea...I drink a cup of this EVERY day and it's helped with my tummy troubles soooo much (I have IBS and chronic heartburn). Overall it's very good for you and tastes just fine.

I never go a day without it...I always carry a tea bag with me. Many times I crave a cup of coffee after lunch but I reach for this instead.

http://www.yogitea.com/Organic-Tea/Tea.asp?Tea_ID=HF26

ETA: It tastes just like any herbal tea. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Years ago, a girlfriend and I did Kombucha but it was kind of a hassle and we didn't experience any noticeable benefits.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I drink the same tea as ParisTroika, a cup a day. It aids digestion, feels like a good balancer.

iHerb sell a kombucha tincture, which is a taste - free way to take it.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
my parents grew and brewed their own kombucha for a year - over 10 years ago. I don't think they really noticed any changes.

They're now hot picks:
Gogi berries! It's the "in" thing in Hawai'i right now. The Chinese have used it for centuries for eye problems. My dad has eye exams for diabetes-related cataracts every 6 months. He started Gogi berries earlier this year and went in for an exam last month ... his eyes have totally cleared up and the optometrist told him to continue whatever he was doing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika,

thanks for an inetersting recommendation.
I will pick it up next time I am in Whole Foods.

Thanks,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Yeh, tried this, but I prefer"Pau D'Arco" I find it a good tonic always feel brighter and perkier for a few days after I have had some of this. Also it is meant to kill any nasties in your digestion. There is loads of info on the web about this.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Rjez wrote:

They're now hot picks:
Gogi berries! It's the "in" thing in Hawai'i right now. The Chinese have used it for centuries for eye problems. My dad has eye exams for diabetes-related cataracts every 6 months. He started Gogi berries earlier this year and went in for an exam last month ... his eyes have totally cleared up and the optometrist told him to continue whatever he was doing.

About goji berries.. my mom always keeps a bag of dried goji berries at home. It's very common and is stocked at almost any Chinese supermarket. However, we don't ever it eat as a snack (unlike raisins or dried cranberries). My mom usually only adds a handful to whatever soup she's making. If I remember correctly, I think goji berries are 'hot' in nature and probably should not be consumed in large quantities if your body is also deemed 'hot'.

P.S. It is also MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy from a Chinese market.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Amaska -

My parents do buy in Chinatown and my dad adds a few berries to morning tea. We actually went to a Singaporean restaurant last week and they had gogi berries in a parchment wrapped whole fish dish. It wasn't pronounced "Go-gee" but similar.

Does your mom add anything else for health?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
amaska wrote:
If I remember correctly, I think goji berries are 'hot' in nature and probably should not be consumed in large quantities if your body is also deemed 'hot'.

thank you for that warning!
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
kind of sweet or bitte?
thanks
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I brewed Kombucha for a bit but got out of the habit. Home brewing does not taste like strong vinegar unless it's brewed too long. It does taste a tad but it should have bubbles so that it's actually quite refreshing. Come to think of it, I should get a new scoby and start brewing again.

The main benefits I saw was that it helped w/digestion and balanced things out.

I also have that tea, Paris mentioned. Think I'll make a cup of it right now!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
you know, I had never thought of drinking it... doh. I cook with it!!

The conbucha I buy at the supermarket is granulated, kind of like fairy sprinkles. I toss a spoon or two into soups, stir fries, etc. First came onto it when a TV show here cooked shredded cabbage using it (also yummy). Just heat olive oil, gently coat the cabbage in the pan, add a tsp of conbu cha and some salt & pepper, then cover and let cook. Enjoy as a bed to a meat dish or just on its own with rice. braised cabbage is delicious with a pork dish!

5% products discount

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I get the Kombucha tea at Whole Foods regularly. I love it! It helps a lot with digestion and it cleans you out. It also acts as a pick-me-up when you feel tired.

I bought a bag of goji berries and after I ate a couple of handfuls I broke out into hives. I was really bummed about it too because goji berries are expensive! I ended up giving the bag to a friend.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I used to brew Kombucha Tea, but honestly everytime was dry-reach time for me. Confused Yes I held my nose, yes I threw it down, yes I knew it was good for me and yes I believed I would live a longer healthier life, but alas it just wasnt to be .. kombucha tea and I parted ways never to coss paths again! My girlfriend though has been taking it for 18 years and believes she's all the better for it. So all the power to her and to all you brave peoples who manage to comsume it with ease. Razz
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Is there a difference between plain Kombucha and the Kombucha green tea?

The stuff everyone else is describing sounds horrible, but the Yogi Green Tea Kombucha is fabulous...I don't go a day without it.
Embarassed

Maybe I'm just weird?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

The stuff everyone else is describing sounds horrible, but the Yogi Green Tea Kombucha is fabulous...I don't go a day without it.
Embarassed

Maybe I'm just weird?

Hi Paris, I too have one of Yogi's Kombucha teas (I have the Echinacea blend) and yes it is very different than the Kombucha tea we are referring to here. The Kombucha manslayerliz is mentioning is brewed from a bacteria and yeast culture "starter". It has a slight taste of apple cider vinegar and is bubbly and tingly. If the culture ferments too long it has a strong vinegar taste and is very fizzy but if done properly it doesn't taste that bad. I wouldn't go so far as saying refreshing (at least I didn't think so) but it was unpleasant either. I guess I would compare the taste to bubbly and slightly acidic apple cider. Yogi teas, as well as other "bag" and herbal blend varieties, are a a great way to have the benefits of Kombucha without the work and "unique" taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
wow, that is different to the konbucha I get.... Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Oooooo it's a big shudder from me. Confused Clearly the stuff I have had is not for the faint hearted or ...maybe I'm just a big wimp! Crying or Very sad
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

Embarassed

Maybe I'm just weird?

Hi Paris, I too have one of Yogi's Kombucha teas (I have the Echinacea blend) and yes it is very different than the Kombucha tea we are referring to here. The Kombucha manslayerliz is mentioning is brewed from a bacteria and yeast culture "starter". It has a slight taste of apple cider vinegar and is bubbly and tingly. If the culture ferments too long it has a strong vinegar taste and is very fizzy but if done properly it doesn't taste that bad. I wouldn't go so far as saying refreshing (at least I didn't think so) but it was unpleasant either. I guess I would compare the taste to bubbly and slightly acidic apple cider. Yogi teas, as well as other "bag" and herbal blend varieties, are a a great way to have the benefits of Kombucha without the work and "unique" taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Okay, good. I'm not AS weird as I thought. Whew!
Back to drinking my Kombucha green tea!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to trying the stuff Pairs mentioned. I've still been trying to battle through the stuff I bought at Wild Oats, but I can't abide more than a few sips at a time without shuddering!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |