Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anti Ageing Vitamin C Serum or Retinaldehyde?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bijouxie

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All,

I am trying to work out which skin care option to take, Vitamin C Serum or Retinaldehyde

I am 33 & I have dry skin with slight rosacea on my cheeks & I have some fine wrinkles around eyes & forehead.

Now I'm confused as were to start & what to purchase.I was thinking of starting like this:

Eyes- Avene Ystheal + Eye contour care
Face- Avene Ystheal + Cream
Cheeks- Avene Diorseal

Or I was thinking of trying PSF 20% Vitamin C Serum.

Would the Avene give me better results?
Im after anti aging & reducing pigmentation.

Please help me out & big thanks in advance...
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I would use both products.

I use C in the am under my LRP Hydraphrase UV 30. C serums are antioxidants and work well under a sunscreen.

I am currently using Avene Ystheal cream. Because it is a retinaldehyde product I suggest using in the evening only. I can use this product all over my face and in the eye area. The Ystheal cream has a higher percentage of active ingredients over their eye product.

I have tried the Avene Diroseal. It is rather heavy; IIRC contains mineral oil. It is green tinted but I did not find it did a lot to help with redness. I am ok with using the Avene Yestheal cream.

If you want an anti-redness product I would suggest either Rosacure by Neostrata or LRP Rosalic.
paleface
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to just use one product, Vit C or retinaldehyde, go with the retinaldehyde. It will make the most difference in your skin. Vitamin C is helpful (as long as it's l-ascorbic acid and very fresh), but it can be irritating. Retinaldehyde is relatively gentle, will make a difference in your fine lines, and may improve the redness you're experiencing.

Let us know how it goes!
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I use both but if I had to choose ... definitely saw more improvements with Ystheal cream.

I have Ystheal eye gel but now I just use Ystheal cream all over.

Skinceuticals C&E in the morning
Ystheal Cream in the evening (wait 30 minutes) then use moisturizer.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rjez, Paleface & Autumn for your advice.I've just joined this forum & it's wonderful so much great information!

I think I will go for the Avene Creme evenings & then the PSF Super Emergen-C Repair Serum 20% under my sunscreen in the day.

Does anyone know about the longevity of vitamin C Serum in particular I'm looking at the PSF brand & I know that it has stabilizer in it.

I wonder does any one know would it be a good idea to 1/2 the contents of the serum & maybe store the other 1/2 in a brown bottle in the fridge.
I'm located in Sydney & it gets super hot here in summer & I was reading that light & heat can reduce the potency of the C Serum.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
bijouxie wrote:

I think I will go for the Avene Creme evenings & then the PSF Super Emergen-C Repair Serum 20% under my sunscreen in the day.

That's a great idea since Vitamin C increases the effectiveness of sunscreen.

Also, if you are ordering Avene from Tubotica, there is a small MUA member discount and they're great about samples. I didn't ask for Diroseal but I did receive several samples of a Bioderma (I think) anti-redness cream.

I don't know about C longevity.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with the thread comments. I use both C+ Firming serum (12% L-ascorbic acid) and 0.05% Retin-A cream. I use the C every AM and alternate the Retin-A with AHA serum at night. I use the Cellular Skin Rx products and my Retin-A is from inhousepharmacy.com.

These two products plus sunscreen are the backbone of my skincare routine.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
bijouxie wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to work out which skin care option to take, Vitamin C Serum or Retinaldehyde

Both! I use a Vit. C Serum in the morning (SkinCeuticals CE + Ferulic) and in the evening a Retinldehyde (Avene Ystheal+ Emulsion Lotion). I think using both in your skincare regimen would be beneficial.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:01 am      Reply with quote
I use both as well - Avene Diacneal pm and 20% Vit C am, I have only just started the Diacneal (3 weeks so far) so too early to tell how effective it is for me, I did notice a difference when I changed from 12% to 20% Vit C.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Just another thought. For people who are unsure about vitamin C - I think a fantastic option is DIY or purchase from Carekate or Candessence. A great inexpensive foray into Vitamin C serums. I also like the fact that it's really fresh.

5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 am      Reply with quote
any DIY options for retinaldehyde?

I was thinking of buying the Avene retrinal .5% has anyone tried this? Can this be used around the eye area (fine lines under eyes my main concern)

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use Avene Retrinal .1% at night alternating with .1% RA. I don't use vitamin C..... but you could add that in the morning. The *retinoid* should your priority though.
myfunnyvalentine
5% products discount

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Gretchen! Do you use this around your eyes?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Yes & haven't had problems with it or actual RA. Make sure to wait an hour before applying moisturizer or skip it.
myfunnyvalentine wrote:
Thanks Gretchen! Do you use this around your eyes?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |