Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Prone to break outs? Try this!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I know there are a few threads on here regarding acne/break outs, but I wanted everyone to read this.

I found this on a hair forum I frequent and found it very interesting.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=35135&hl=omg

5% products discount

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I am so tempted to try this, I did not read all 70 pages to it seem like everyone how tried it and did it the right way has pleased with the results. I will try this after my Dr Hauschka experiment. So far it is making my skin break out like crazy. Sad

One thing I worry about it that i read somewhere here that baking soda is very harsh and should not be put directly on youe skin.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ariesxtreme, I just read that thread, I only wish I had had that info when I was younger. I spent a fortune over the years trying to clear up my skin! I'm going to try this anyway, even though I rarely get spots now, as I have enlarged and clogged pores and oily skin. I've just started using SK11 products (very expensive but loving the results so far) but if this works it will save us all a LOT of money. Thanks for sharing it.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:59 am      Reply with quote
sounds really simple and effective! Thanks, ariesxtreme!

I want to try the mask Smile even I can manage to pull it off Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
lillilulu wrote:
I've just started using SK11 products (very expensive but loving the results so far) but if this works it will save us all a LOT of money.

curious as to what products you're using. i started using the Essence a few weeks ago and my face is really loving it!

ariesextreme -- i didn't get past the first post after reading the recommendation to use baking soda. please, *everyone* thinking of following this, read carekate's tirade on baking soda (taken from this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=174460&highlight=baking+soda#174460) --

Quote:
The Hidden Evils of Baking Soda

Okay, the time has come for Dr. CareKate to assume her schoolmarm expression and step up to her lectern to give a stern lecture to all of her DIY fans and disciples:

It has come to my attention that many DIYers looking for an inexpensive/homemade exfoliant for the face have latched upon the idea of using baking soda to exfoliate one’s face, as an alternative to using an aspirin mask or something similar.

As you can tell from this notepad, I am an avid DIYer myself and am, therefore, always open to new ideas and recipes, but I have to say that the thought of anyone using baking soda on their face absolutely scares the bejesus out of me.

Lest you all think that I am making much ado about nothing, let me say that my own mother received the same misguided advice from a well-meaning “modeling teacher” back in the 1950s who instructed all of her pupils to cleanse their faces with a mixture of “salt and soda.” My mother often parroted this same advice to me when growing up but I am thankful that this was one occasion when I was quite right in ignoring my dear old mom’s words. Now, let me tell you why:

My mom is in her late 60s, and was quite a sun-worshipper back when we lived in SoCal in the mid-1970s. Today, my mother’s skin is not in very good shape. I know the lion’s share of the damage is a result of all that indiscriminate sunbathing back then, but I believe part of it can also be attributed to her faithful adherence to that faulty advice from that modeling instructor who exhorted the wonders of cleansing one’s face with baking soda.

Why am I so certain that it was so detrimental to her skin’s health? Because baking soda is extremely alkaline, and as such, when applied to one’s skin – especially the delicate skin on one’s face – it completely and utterly destroys the natural acid mantle of one’s skin.

Big deal, you say?! This acid mantle helps to maintain the delicate PH-balance of the skin. When this acid mantle has been disturbed or removed, it raises the risk of bacteria and infection getting into the flesh that you inadvertently rubbed raw by cleansing/exfoliating your face with baking soda!!

For those of you that HAVE used baking soda on your face in the past, you will recall that your skin smartly stung afterwards. Now, some of you might have dismissed this reaction by simply assuming that you had scrubbed your face too vigorously with the baking soda, but you would be wrong. The reason it stung like the dickens afterwards is because you tore away the protective layer of your skin! Please, please, for the love of your face, if you don't want to take my word about this, do a little research of your own regarding the dangers of using baking soda on your face.

Here is a little excerpt from my *own* research, when I was first seeking validation for my beliefs regarding the dangers of baking soda in skincare. I found this particular statement from a forum devoted to long hair (note: it might have been “The Long Hair Community,” but at this point I no longer remember):

Baking soda's alkalinity is as high as that of haircoloring products although I realize that the amount or application method makes if more or less harsh depending on how baking soda is used.

I say, leave the baking soda for household cleaning. I apologize if I sound put off by the baking soda on hair thing, it's just that there are so many wonderful cosmetics out there, ones that smell lovely and are pleasant to use, that I have difficulty understanding how something like baking soda could appeal to anyone for use in their haircare routine.

Here is a link for the pH of BSoda (I think it's the same one I posted yesterday in the vinegar thread): http://www.kernsite.com/uwp/modules/pH/pH.htm)

The first sentence is the one that gets me: baking soda is as alkaline as hair dye? I don’t know about the rest of you ladies, but I sure as hell wouldn’t knowingly apply any product that strong to my face!!!

So use that box of baking soda to kill the odors in your cat’s litterbox or keep your refrigerator/freezer smelling fresh and/or to dissolve the gunk in pipes of your kitchen sink, but – FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY – please don’t use it anywhere near your skin!!

Hmmm, I wonder if I should seize this opportunity to also cluck over the dangers of St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub?! That stuff should come with a warning label and everyone who suffered microscopic tears to the skin on their faces (like me, when I was a wee young pollywag and didn’t know any better) should ban together in a class-lawsuit and sue those Swiss for every last watch, cuckoo clock and bit of chocolate in their entire country!!

Seriously, though: avoid apricot scrubs the same way as you should baking soda when it comes to caring for your precious, beautiful faces. Please.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
lillilulu wrote:
I've just started using SK11 products (very expensive but loving the results so far) but if this works it will save us all a LOT of money.

curious as to what products you're using. i started using the Essence a few weeks ago and my face is really loving it!

ariesextreme -- i didn't get past the first post after reading the recommendation to use baking soda. please, *everyone* thinking of following this, read carekate's tirade on baking soda (taken from this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=174460&highlight=baking+soda#174460) --

Quote:
The Hidden Evils of Baking Soda

Okay, the time has come for Dr. CareKate to assume her schoolmarm expression and step up to her lectern to give a stern lecture to all of her DIY fans and disciples:

It has come to my attention that many DIYers looking for an inexpensive/homemade exfoliant for the face have latched upon the idea of using baking soda to exfoliate one’s face, as an alternative to using an aspirin mask or something similar.

As you can tell from this notepad, I am an avid DIYer myself and am, therefore, always open to new ideas and recipes, but I have to say that the thought of anyone using baking soda on their face absolutely scares the bejesus out of me.

Lest you all think that I am making much ado about nothing, let me say that my own mother received the same misguided advice from a well-meaning “modeling teacher” back in the 1950s who instructed all of her pupils to cleanse their faces with a mixture of “salt and soda.” My mother often parroted this same advice to me when growing up but I am thankful that this was one occasion when I was quite right in ignoring my dear old mom’s words. Now, let me tell you why:

My mom is in her late 60s, and was quite a sun-worshipper back when we lived in SoCal in the mid-1970s. Today, my mother’s skin is not in very good shape. I know the lion’s share of the damage is a result of all that indiscriminate sunbathing back then, but I believe part of it can also be attributed to her faithful adherence to that faulty advice from that modeling instructor who exhorted the wonders of cleansing one’s face with baking soda.

Why am I so certain that it was so detrimental to her skin’s health? Because baking soda is extremely alkaline, and as such, when applied to one’s skin – especially the delicate skin on one’s face – it completely and utterly destroys the natural acid mantle of one’s skin.

Big deal, you say?! This acid mantle helps to maintain the delicate PH-balance of the skin. When this acid mantle has been disturbed or removed, it raises the risk of bacteria and infection getting into the flesh that you inadvertently rubbed raw by cleansing/exfoliating your face with baking soda!!

For those of you that HAVE used baking soda on your face in the past, you will recall that your skin smartly stung afterwards. Now, some of you might have dismissed this reaction by simply assuming that you had scrubbed your face too vigorously with the baking soda, but you would be wrong. The reason it stung like the dickens afterwards is because you tore away the protective layer of your skin! Please, please, for the love of your face, if you don't want to take my word about this, do a little research of your own regarding the dangers of using baking soda on your face.

Here is a little excerpt from my *own* research, when I was first seeking validation for my beliefs regarding the dangers of baking soda in skincare. I found this particular statement from a forum devoted to long hair (note: it might have been “The Long Hair Community,” but at this point I no longer remember):

Baking soda's alkalinity is as high as that of haircoloring products although I realize that the amount or application method makes if more or less harsh depending on how baking soda is used.

I say, leave the baking soda for household cleaning. I apologize if I sound put off by the baking soda on hair thing, it's just that there are so many wonderful cosmetics out there, ones that smell lovely and are pleasant to use, that I have difficulty understanding how something like baking soda could appeal to anyone for use in their haircare routine.

Here is a link for the pH of BSoda (I think it's the same one I posted yesterday in the vinegar thread): http://www.kernsite.com/uwp/modules/pH/pH.htm)

The first sentence is the one that gets me: baking soda is as alkaline as hair dye? I don’t know about the rest of you ladies, but I sure as hell wouldn’t knowingly apply any product that strong to my face!!!

So use that box of baking soda to kill the odors in your cat’s litterbox or keep your refrigerator/freezer smelling fresh and/or to dissolve the gunk in pipes of your kitchen sink, but – FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY – please don’t use it anywhere near your skin!!

Hmmm, I wonder if I should seize this opportunity to also cluck over the dangers of St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub?! That stuff should come with a warning label and everyone who suffered microscopic tears to the skin on their faces (like me, when I was a wee young pollywag and didn’t know any better) should ban together in a class-lawsuit and sue those Swiss for every last watch, cuckoo clock and bit of chocolate in their entire country!!

Seriously, though: avoid apricot scrubs the same way as you should baking soda when it comes to caring for your precious, beautiful faces. Please.

You quoted what I was thinking too! But that said, it is followed immediately by an ACV rinse. I am wondering if an ACV is effective at restoring ph level of the skin? Moreover...why is it that we are so happy about putting acids on our skin but not an akaline? Some of the SA lotions, peels, serums etc have quite low ph. Doesn't that destroy our skin's pH and therefore make our skin more at risk of bacteria and infection?

That said, the inital poster uses Proactiv/BP makes me wonder how good a regime it is for long term skin care.
lillilulu
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Thankyou la vie en rose, for that quote from carekate. when I read that baking soda stings it rang a bell with me. A while back, I bought a glycolic acid peel (off e-bay). This had to be taken off with Bicarbinate of soda. I left the lotion on for 1 min, then applied a paste of bicarb over it before rinsing it off. OMG! My face felt like it was on fire. I rinsed it as fast as I could, terrified I would have 1st degree burns. I have to say that my face was very sore for a few days, and never used it again, but I've just realised that bicarb IS baking soda, so I definitely won't be using it, as my skin does not like it at all. I have actually been using the white sugar and lemon juice to exfoliate, which someone recommended in another thread, and my skin feels lovely afterwards, so I'll stick to that. Anyway, the SK11 products I'm using are TREATMENT ESSENCE, TREATMENT CONCENTRATE AND POWER SIGNS TREATMENT. I've only been using them since Saturday, but my skin feels amazing. I've ordered a cleanser and hope to get some eyefilm treatment too. I am really impressed with it so far, but it's early days, but it does claim to give you beautiful skin after 28 days, so I'll try and do a review after that. Thanks again for the info.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 am      Reply with quote
the lemon and sugar is lovely (i think it was Anna in Sweden who posted it)!

and, cuppre? i'm going to leave it to the experts to explain all the whys and wherefores of acid vs. alkaline. the whole pH thing makes my head spin.... i just wanted to post carekate's warning because me and a few of my friends went through a regimen quite like the one in that forum (a long, long time ago) and destroyed our skin. even a friend who didn't break out started breaking out. i never understood it until i saw carrie's post.... i just was trying to save you all some of the angst i went through.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Okay I tried the baking soda paste last night and this morning..it's quite drying and not sure if my face really likes it. It does sting a tad also. I may use it on my back though where I do break out from time to time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Skin is slightly acidic 4.5 to 5.5 pH. Because it is acidic, it is better able to handle an acid pH shift, especially since most home use acids are in the 3.0 to 4.0 range. And some acids, like Lactic and Beta Hydroxy are actually less irritating and more soothing, and tend to be anti-inflamatory and healing to the acid mantle.

Even pro peel versions are acid at 1.9 to 2.0. And should be used more carefully, as they can be drying and irritaing. But if used correctly, the benifits in the longterm outweight the short term issues. And there is not an "as effective" alternative that does the same thing. Much like Retin A, which causes Acid Mantle damage, but if used correctly , benifits outweight risks. And if it works well for you, may be the only option that works as well.

So the treatment acids are lower pH, which skin can better handle, and have soothing and healing properties.

Baking Soda is slightly alkaline with a pH around 8.1 (7.0 is neutral) - which in itself is not super harsh. Skin prefers product around 5.5 range. The skin can easily manage that now and then. Though I would not use it to cleanse skin daily.

But other issues - Soda is overall very drying to the skin and a degreaser, which means it removes all oils from the skin. One would think this is good, its actually bad. The acid mantle if made up of skin oils, and a certain amount are needed to maintain the acid mantle. When you strip oils off the skin, you also dirupt the acid mantle. This is a thin film on the skin surface (think Syran or Clean Plastic wrap) when that layyer is removed, skin losses moisteure, and bacterium and irritants cam more easily harm the skin.

And the more often your strip skin in this manner the harder it works to overproduce oil to remake that acid mantle. Studies show that when the skin is allowed to heal properly, and moisterized with the correct skin friendly oils - it actually slows/regulates oil production, because the nerve ending attached to the hair follicles can "sense" the amount of oil on the skin surface, and trigger or surpress the release of more oil. The skin strives to maintain a set level of oil all the time.

So in the short term it may be effectve for some people, in the longterm it will often create longeterm issues that don't show up right away.

High pH cleansers are harsher then baking soda, because they combine the high Alkiline pH with irritants such as detergents and often irritating ingrediants (camphor, mint, cinnamon, etc) These REALLY strip the acid mantle, and the added irritants do a number on the weakened skin.

Repeated "attacks" of this type can lead to over dry, over oily, flacky and irritaed skin that is more acne prone and more sensitive. Dry on top and oil underneth is also a common issue from to harsh a treatment plan. This increases the acne bacterium growth on the skin, and can lead to long term sensitivity and free radicial damage.

Baking soda can be very abrasive also, so be careful with it. It is better then salt and walnut and almond shell scrubs which can scratch the skin surface. I do reacommend it for occassional body use, or occassional face use for those who need and like it. But not daily use. The body skin is thicker so less reactive. (though still effected, just less dramatically)

generally I would recomend a milder option, especially for acne prone or sensitive skin - which tends to be made worse with longerm irritation.

For a mild scrub use white or brown sugar. Gentle, effective, and soft on skin with no sharp edges. (brown sugar is softer)

ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) does lower the pH, but it may be after the damage has already occured. Once the acid mantle is damaged it literally takes a split second for the skin to be damaged, and it can take 14 - 21 days for the acid mantle to repair itself again.

This is really an issue when you have the added irritant facter from detergents thrown in.

ACV is also very dying to the skin, and can be irritaing. For people that do like to use it, I really recomend heavy dilution, and try not to use twice daily. In many cases once daily can be to much.

Paulas choice make a very nice mild alcohol free 5.5 pH toner that lower skin pH. Nivea and Neurogena also both have alcohol free mild toners, though I am not sure on the pH.

BHA solution, at 3.4 pH, like the one from Paulas Choice also will nicely adjust pH, if you can use this.

Just depends on your skin and how reactive it is.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
I would really like to try this skincare routine , but im not the " cooking my face treatment " type Crying or Very sad I just dont have the time...But I moght try the mask once ...just to see.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Also wanted to add:

Acne has a number of issues that contribute to its cause. So best treatments usally address a number of issues at once, in the gentliest manner possible to minimize addition irritation..

Younger skin can often better handle stress associated with harsher treatments and cleanser then older skin. One reason this seems to "work" for people. It certainly can for awhile, depending on your skin.

And some people never have a "noticable" issue with this type of treatment.

But I think there are better and easier on the skin options. And one should also concider them as well, as a possible alternative that "may" work for you.

I had a lifetime of oily acne prone skin and went through a number of treatments and products. When I started really focusing on elimination of the harsh products, directly treating the issues associated with acne and oily skin, without stressing my skin worse in the process - thats when results came. But it is not overnight.

Drugstore or harsh products often do give a quick fix. But then it seems a year later, many ppl are still struggling with the same issues. So nothing was "fixed" just symptoms were treated.

But I wanted a longterm fix, and thats what I now have - now my chronically oily acne prone skin is normal.

You can also find many cheaper BP options then proactive. Smile So concider that as well.

The terms sensitive skin, hypoallergenic & non-comedogenic, oil free have no legel definition, and mean nothing. Companys can and do legelly use these all the time on products that contain harsh irritants, pore clogging filler and thickners and waxs, and reactive and sesitizing ingrediants.

Not all oils clog pores, many don't. Others do. Many companys can and do use clogging ingrediants in "oil free" products that are much worse then the "oil issues"

For sunscreen the SPF facter does not guarantee it is both UVA AND UVNB protective. It must have the proper active ingrediants or it does you not good.

For UVA protection check the active ingredient list to see if either zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone (which may also be listed as Parsol 1789 or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane), Mexoryl SX, or Tinosorb (Mexoryl SX and Tinosorb are international, though Loreal has a Mexoryl product due out in the USA next year)

Zinc and Titanium, both can be issues on acne prone skin. So should not be used as your daily moisterizer if you will not have exposure. Which is why I normally would not get a moisterizer/sunscreen. Many also have thickners that can be an issue on acne prones skin, and can be shiny.

Rather go with a more acne friendly "matt" sunscreen only when needed, and moisterize with a good acne oily skin friendly oil.
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Tangal, Thank you for all that info, what brand daily sunscreen would you recommend for acne prone skin. I had never heard of Titanium / Zinc being bad for acne prone skin.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Tangal, I'd be interested to hear why you think that zinc oxide/titanium dioxide are bad for people with acne-prone skin. I was under the impression that they were beneficial for people who were acne-prone since they have anti-inflammatory properties and don't clog pores. Since I have senstivities to chemical sunscreens, I use only products containing zinc/titanium, and I've never noticed any problems with them...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 am      Reply with quote
I don't think they are "bad" but they can be more of a problem for acne prone skin.

I was not clear - sorry.

This is from info I have gotten from speaking to others with acne prone skin, and thir results, and it is also discussed on Paula Beguns Website under Sun Screens/Sun Safety.

There are very few effectve sunscreens options available that do well with acne prone skin in general. This is true of many products overall, not just sunscreens.

Titanium and zinc can clog pores on some. They are not highly pore clogging compared to some other ingrediants we might think of, like Lanolin or Coco Butter for example. So many ppl can use them fine. But in a sunscreen combo, some people do have an issue with them.

And the sunscreens themselves can have other ingrediants that can iritate or clog pores. No line or brand is 100% "safe" for acne prone or sensitive skin.

So it is more a matter of finding one that works "for you" if you find it to be an issue.

I use zinc and titanium and do recomend it - but as a sunscreen.
Not as a daily use moisterizer. If the amounts are high enough, combined with the base needed for an effective sunscreen, it can be an issue for some with acne. So save it just for sunscreen use.

Usually if your sunscreen IS also a moisterizer, you may use it more often, then if it is "Just" a sunscreen. Like before bed, or when skin just feels dry.

Thats fine if it works well for you. But if you are still having acne issues, and enlarged pores, you may need to alter the sunscreen/moisterizer combo.

For a moisterizer I think a good oil will do much better for almost all skintypes. It has more repair and healing benifits - all a moisterizer usually does is moisterize. (unless it is a treatment, which is another subject) Smile

It is basic, few ingrediants so you can talior it based on your needs and senitivity issues. You lessen irritation and sensitivity a lot. Which also lessens breakouts.

I was just trying to clarify, grabbing a suncreen/moisterizer as the perfect fit for acne prone or sensitive skin, is not IMO that simple.

Wish it was! LOL

I actually Use the Nutrogena Dry Touch which does have Titanium and Parasol. But it is "matt" which is why I like it. Many screens are shiney so not great on oily skin. Thoiough powder helps.
michelec
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'd say they clogging for me. It was from hell with the Zinclear product and then I've tried a few others with zinc oxide and titanium and they all seem to do it for me. It's a shame for me because I like to go natural with skincare. But I don't see a way around this if these two ingredients are in all the natural ones.

For now I'm using LRP DermoPeds Lait along with all Hauschka and crossing my fingers that the cleansing milk will get it off.

But anyway, whenever I use the zinc or tianium, my forehead and temples are covered with bumps. Then the squeezefest inevitably starts and it's downhill from there.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Adding a well formulated BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid) into your routine can go a long way keeping pores unclogged in a situation like this.

BHA's clean inside the pores very well (if used correctly and well formulated)
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I sometimes use baking soda in my hair as a clarifying treatment. Does anyone know if this is also a big no-no? After reading that, I'm thinking it may be.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
occassional use in the hair is fine, but it is drying. So do not use to often, and condition hair after.

If you dye hair it can cause color fadeing.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Okay. No worries, then. Thanks, Tangal!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Tosca -- have you tried ACV in your hair for clarifying? (probably drying as well, but it works really nicely at getting product build-up out whilst helping keep colour in if you dye your hair.)

Tangal -- thank you for explaining the science of it all! i was hollering in my mind for you and somehow you heard me Very Happy
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 am      Reply with quote
would it be effective?
i will try this evening
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
I sometimes use baking soda in my hair as a clarifying treatment. Does anyone know if this is also a big no-no? After reading that, I'm thinking it may be.
Do you color your hair? If yes, then baking soda is very bad for your hair! As La Vie En Rose pointed out, I've gone off on quitea few rants about the evils of baking soda -- here's the one that explains what it does to your hair (paraphrased and cut/pasted from previous anti-baking soda tirades):

carekate wrote:
catski wrote:
Gosh. I'd have thought regularly using baking soda would have dried the hair right out.
No, it's worse! I've posted this info in several of the "glossy/shiny hair" threads, but it bears repeating:
carekate wrote:
ariesxtreme wrote:
If I really want to clarify any buildup I use a baka soda rinse about once a week.
I’ve done some research into the benefits/dangers of using baking soda on one’s face and/or hair and this is what I found out:

I found this particular statement from a forum devoted to long hair (note: it might have been “The Long Hair Community,” but at this point I no longer remember):

The first sentence is the one that gets me: baking soda is as alkaline as hair dye?!?! What that basically means is that it is doing to dilate the hair cuticle in a similar manner as a hair color developer or perming solution. And when the hair cuticle is dilated, guess what happens to the previously deposited hair color pigment? Buh-bye –down the drain it went! Shock I used to use baking soda + shampoo for a super-clarifying treatment before I put two and two together and realized what was going on. I have a hard enough time keeping my red color-treated hair bright and vibrant for longer than a month without helping the fade-age along....

Just something to mull over!

P.S. And don’t even get me started on the perils of using baking soda to cleanse or exfoliate one’s face!! Confused

I pay a fortune to get my carmelized highlights done every couple months so I'll stick with my ACV and honey and leave the baking soda in shampoo to braver souls than I!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I've got some old highlights, but I'm currently not coloring because I want to go dark, but dark won't stay in my hair long - may be the my current hairstylist's technique or brand. I really only do this about once every six months or so because it feels nasty anyway. I will switch to ACV. Thanks for the advice!
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Jesus Christ..no wonder my face is extra dry and stinging now!!! Mad . Now I must wait for my acid mantle to repair itself. *sighs*

Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |