Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help from those who know ingredients....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I started using a product and here are the ingredients:

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Potassium Alum, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Water, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Commiphora Myrrha Extract, Styrax Benzoin Resin Extract, Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Leaf Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Citral, Citronellol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

I DO NOT have sensitive skin, but my skin has recently started to itch. Could it be any of these ingredients?

I don't think it's merely "dry skin" since I'm oily/combo!

Thanks OODLES in Advance!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Potassium Alum, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Water, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Commiphora Myrrha Extract, Styrax Benzoin Resin Extract, Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Leaf Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Citral, Citronellol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

I DO NOT have sensitive skin, but my skin has recently started to itch. Could it be any of these ingredients?

I don't think it's merely "dry skin" since I'm oily/combo!

Thanks OODLES in Advance!

1 - Water, self-explainitory
2 - Alcohol Denat. - Alcohol Dentured (used to dissolve other ingredients) - Normally this would be very low on the list of ingredients & wouldn't pose a problem. Being the 2nd, could cause some irritation.
3 - Glycerin
4 - Rosa Damascena Flower oil - rose oil
5 - Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil
6 - Potassium Alum - used for it's astringent properties
7 - Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Water
8 - Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil
9 - Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil - (in a high enough concentration can be irritating)
10 - Commiphora Myrrha Extract - Myrrh Gum Extract, antiseptic & disinfectant for wounds
11 - Styrax Benzoin Resin Extract - Benzoin, antiseptic, expectorant and astringent
12 - Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Leaf Oil - Lemon Balm, antibacterial
13 - Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract
14 - Citral - used to scent product
15 - Citronellol - again, scenting
16 - Farnesol - used to enhance the scent *side note - you may also find it interesting that this product is a natural pesticide for mites, a pheromone for other insects and is 1 of the 599 ingredients used in cigarettes)
17 - Geraniol - most commonly used in perfumes but also used in insect repellants & 1 of 599 ingredients listed in making cigarettes
18 - Limonene - used to flavor or scent lemony/orange
19 - Linalool - most often used to scent

So - that was fun, lol.

I'm NO expert by any means and many of the ingredients listed here have multiple uses my guess what's causing the irration would be the Alcohol Denture.

Not all alcohols used in skincare are drying or irritating. And in most cases it's so far down the list it wouldn't be an issue. But being 2nd, I'd say this is what's makin ya itchy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Sigh...I was wondering if that was it.
Know what this is?

It's Caudalie's Beauty Elixir Embarassed

ETA: Thank you SOOOO much Candy!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
It could be the alcohol, and if the essential oils are used in high % it could be the combination causing irritation.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:06 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
Sigh...I was wondering if that was it.
Know what this is?

It's Caudalie's Beauty Elixir Embarassed

ETA: Thank you SOOOO much Candy!

ParisTroika - if you seach for old threads on this product you'd find that there are many other members who found this product irritating (a reason for me not having bought it yet) due to the alcohol content. I guess people either have a love or hate relationship with this product.
Cyberia
5% products discount

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:54 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:

I agree with the others. Alcohol being the second ingredient can be very drying for the skin. Also, Citral, Citronellol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, and Linalool are single molecule compounds from natural essential oils - they are very volatile and aromatic, and they are often used in commercial perfumes. I've read somewhere that they can be more sentiziting than the oil they are derived from, so that could be a possible cause, too.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:56 am      Reply with quote
My bet would be on the melissa. It is a known sensitizer & can give people rashes/hives who have a sensitivity to poison ivy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Actually, this stuff irritated my skin too! I ended up swapping it away at MUA. Confused

Mon May 12, 2014 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, please know that at least four of the "natural" scents contained in this product are known to cause irritation and sensitivity in a small portion of the population. Whenever I am exposed to: citral, citronellol, limonene and linalool the skin around my eyes becomes red, itchy and swollen. After the swelling goes down, the skin flakes off. Not a fun experience. It usually takes several hours after exposure for the process to begin, and the exposure can be due to direct skin contact from my hands or even just airbound.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |