Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Emu is the BEST for irritated skin - nothing like it!! :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I just used emu oil for the first time and OMG it is SOOO WONDERFUL. There is nothing like it to me. I have had some redness and itchyness these days still getting used to the actives (Retin A and LA AHA) but tonite as soon as I applied the emu over the Retin A, it dissappeared! My skin is so calm feeling again. Unbelievable. Usually after the Retin A I also feel this tingly sensation when applying something on top, even olive oil which I used before I got a squalane cream, which was no better than the olive oil.

If you have sensitive skin, you should try emu Smile
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Couldn't agree more, Monica! Emu is my one and only moisturizer now. It works even better if you mix it with a little HA before you apply it.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
I like to mix it with some CeraVe moisturizer - it has HA, three ceramides and other moisturizing ingredients like cholesterol, glycerine etc, and no fragrance or irritants. I buy mine at CVS.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I might have to look for that. Thanks!
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I luv my emu oils -
use skin bio's, and also clear and ultra.

which are you using, monica?
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:04 am      Reply with quote
i hear many people say it is magic.but it is some expensive.and i think it would be oily Confused
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
felinehhy wrote:
i hear many people say it is magic.but it is some expensive.and i think it would be oily Confused

Maybe it just effective for dry skin.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:36 am      Reply with quote
lotus003 wrote:
felinehhy wrote:

Maybe it just effective for dry skin.

Well its is an oil but its not greasy. If you apply it after washing while the face is still very damp or even wet it sinks right in, Im very oily and I love it. Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
marla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
felinehhy wrote:

felinehy,

i have oily skin. i always mix clear emu oil with hyaluronic acid (50/50), then apply to my skin -- it sinks right in!

i usually can't use most moisturizers because i break out in acne - but have NO problem using the emu/HA combination.

Marla

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 am      Reply with quote
felinehhy wrote:

skin bio's 2 oz is about $30, if you get your ultra or clear thru lb processors (I believe these are the folks that provide the dremu people with their emu oil), it runs about $25 and $22/oz respectively.

if you find you like the product, you can buy bulk -
I've used from nature with love, and their clear emu is currently at $15/2 oz and $45 for 8 0z.

samples are readily available, and I would suggest trying before purchasing the larger amounts.

it's effective for ALL skin types, healing, soothing and anti-inflamitory.

i've read many accounts of oily folks that thought they'd never use an oil on their faces who claim emu regulated their skin.
my personal experience (dry/combo - larger pores in t-zone), I no longer have this NEED to slather a moisturizer on my face after my shower. When i get up in the morning, my face is smooth, soft and hydrated.
this summer my skin felt normal - not dry.

if youre an active user, you can apply emu before as a buffer (gentler application) or after, to push the actives for stronger application.

they certainly take some getting used to - a few drops is all you need and vonstella has some good application tips.

many use the clear cosmeticaly. it's the "least oily" of the emu oils that I've tried, was using this exclusively during the day under makeup.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Here is the link I got mine from just yesterday - I bought 4 bottles 8oz each (32oz total) for $49 plus $8 shipping only. Its wondeful Smile I dont see a reason to pay $30 for 1oz - I think emu is overpriced at high end skincare companies. JMO Wink

http://www.ddmwholesale.com/EmuOilProd.aspx?CatID=65
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
bubbleoffplumb wrote:

it's effective for ALL skin types, healing, soothing and anti-inflamitory.

i've read many accounts of oily folks that thought they'd never use an oil on their faces who claim emu regulated their skin.

many use the clear cosmeticaly. it's the "least oily" of the emu oils that I've tried, was using this exclusively during the day under makeup.

I agree that everyone--no matter skin type--can benefit from the use of Emu, it has worked wonders on my skin. Remember like with any product it takes time to see results. I did see some immediate results such as for the first time maybe ever, my skin was totally hydrated. Not greasy at all. My makeup looked fantastic as well. After about a month of twice daily use any redness on my face--that I now realize was dehyrated irritation--went away. My skin is so much smoother and softer. I really dont think you can go wrong with Emu. FYI, my skin is oily and acne prone, Emu has caused no new breakouts.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Vonstella,

What are your application tips? I'm having trouble with Vit C serum and was wondering whether I could do - cleanse, tone (ACV), Emu, Vit C at night?

Cat
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Hi Vonstella,

What are your application tips? I'm having trouble with Vit C serum and was wondering whether I could do - cleanse, tone (ACV), Emu, Vit C at night?

Cat

Well, I think that Vit C is best used during the day--as the point of it is to protect you from free radicals--if you choose to use it during the day here is what I would do:

Cleanse
Tone
Vit C*
Water spray (Evian)
Emu

*See this thread on Vit C wait times that Tangal was nice enough to put together for us, I think you would find it really useful.*

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18491

Also I like to appy Emu to a wet face as I mentioned above so, if you are using it after Vit C then I would mist your face with a VERY simple water spray like Evian. Its fairly inxpensive and you can get it at Sephora. I have found that Emu always absorbs better this way. FYI, I use the creamy white-ish Emu from Dremu. "Ultra" is suppose to be better for reducing irritation/healing, "ultra' is also available at L&B Processers and as others have mentioned above is where Dremu gets their supply.

makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Can you emu oil experts tell me if there is any particular scent to it? This is going to sound dumb, but is it really emu oil from the bird?
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
yes, it's from the birds that look a bit like ostrich.

some folks have mentioned a funky smell,
less so with the more refined products.

i've never found them smelly,
but i'm used to using simple, non-spa, usually unscented products.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
Can you emu oil experts tell me if there is any particular scent to it? This is going to sound dumb, but is it really emu oil from the bird?

Yes it is from the bird so, if you are Vegan or dont use animal by-products this wont be for you. I detect no scent from mine but a few other members have noticed a strange scent from theirs, I believe that the oil was either past exp. date or not triple refined. You want to make sure that any oil you purchase is triple refined if you are using it on your face.

makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I truly do marvel at the progression of science. Who even came UP with the idea that emu oil would be a great thing for your face? Very Happy

Can anyone comment on how jojoba oil compares in performance to emu?
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think I want to try either emu or jojoba, but I do break out a lot (oily t zone)...is there anywhere I can get a sample of either to try? I'm too scared of putting oil on my face to commit to a whole bottle yet.

I am trapped in a snow covered small town right now so excursions to natural stores ain't happening.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Emu oil users! I gave in a bought the Dremu Oil from EDS (blue bottle). I am thrilled by how incredibly soft my skin feels but I do detect a scent that smells very much like chicken skin or chicken fat. Does this sound right? The colour is a very creamy light beige-ish colour with the consistency of a very thick serum. Does this sound OK? The scent isn't really, really strong - it is just very distinct - like burned chicken skin or chicken fat....It doesn't matter that it isn't clear, does it? Thanks in advance for any insights/advice Very Happy
Pudoodles
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles, I think every once in a while a batch has a smell. I bought some directly from Dremu, and I could smell it. To me, it smelled like body oils from a man with oily skin - not really unpleasant. I used the whole bottle and didn't notice any difference in it's effectiveness from the other I have from LB Processors that has no smell. The texture and consistency sounds like what I had. Very Happy
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Emu and Jojoba are both very good for oily, acne prone or sensitive skin. Both have anti-inflammatory, soothing and healing attributes.

They do not clog pores or cause acne. However because of the pore cleaning ability, it is not unusual to notice some breakouts for the first two weeks.

This is NOT related to clogged pores. It is related to the skin adjustment phase as it adjusts to the treatment from the oils. This clears in 2 weeks, and is mild. Many people never even have this happen at all. But some may, so be prepared. 

Both can help other products penetrate better, with Emu being the "stronger" of the two. Emu is great for dry or sensitive or irritated skin. Emu is moisterizing, and excellent for chapped skin.

Jojoba is better to help regulate skin oil, and help pores to better cleanse themselves. Well suited to oily skin.

Both oils work well combined on all skin types, at a ratio based on your skintype and needs.

Both can also be blended with Hyaluronic acid, if one prefers.

My skin used to be oil slick oily very acne prone. Jojoba oil was one of the things that helped tremdousely to allow my skin to better regulate oil production. Many others I consult with also have similar results.
Not all oils clog pores. 

And using an oil correctly will lessen and regulate skins oil production, causing very oily skin to become more normalized. It takes 2 to 6 weeks for this to happen, and other products you use can affect results. (Irritants, drying agents, harsh pH or harsh cleansers can all make skin oil issues worse)

I personally prefer a blend of Jojoba, Hazelnut and Emu for myself with a few essential oils thrown in.

I am also a fan of the oils from this site, which are oil blends created for each skin type. Very nice and soothing. I really like the Clarifying for acne prone or oily skin.

http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/facial.htm

I started with Jojoba only, and eventually diluted with other oils to make a thinner product.
Hazelnut is a great blend with Jojoba because it is astringent so good for acne prone skin.
I added Emu based on my needs. More in winter. Less in summer.

Dilute oils with water in hand. 2 - 5 drops of oil to a few drops of water, blend and pat onto skin. Twice daily. Oil should be completely absorbed in 15 minutes or you used to much.

Some people can have a sensitivity reaction to an oil, just like any other ingredient. In which case changing to an alternate oil is usually the recommended option.

I believewww.dianayvonne.com may still carry sample of plain Emu oil, as well as the Skin Biology Emu Oil – which has additives that give it more of an odor.. But not Jojoba. You can buy Jojoba and Emu inexpensively online at many sites. It also works well on body skin and hair.
www.iherb.com orwww.gardenofwisdonm.com have low cost basic versions.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
thanks tangal! what would you think of jojoba with a teeny bit of tea tree?
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I got my first (and only) EMU oil here

http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/index.php?p=product&id=258&parent=9

I love it! I really like this roller ball applicator too. Might be worth a try for $8 and pick up some MMU too. The all over color 'True' is also very nice. Shipping is reasonable there.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Tosca wrote:
Pudoodles, I think every once in a while a batch has a smell. I bought some directly from Dremu, and I could smell it. To me, it smelled like body oils from a man with oily skin - not really unpleasant. I used the whole bottle and didn't notice any difference in it's effectiveness from the other I have from LB Processors that has no smell. The texture and consistency sounds like what I had. Very Happy

Thanks, Tosca - that is good to know..I kind of wondered because I didn't think that the Dremu would have any scent at all...I still can't believe how bloomin' soft my skin is - it is just unbelievable. I don't have oily skin or anything but the emu oil still somehow imparts this feeling of normalization..like my skin feels the way it felt as a child...so soft that I am not even aware of it..usually there is some sort of (even mild) irritation that makes me feel skin-sensitive - or at least feel "aware" of my skin....with this stuff - I don't know --my skin just feels like what skin is supposed to feel like....I really can't remember my skin ever feeling this --- what is the word.....calm. I never thought that "uneventfulness" could be so thrilling!!!!! I am totally stoked over this stuff! I feel an HG product coming on!!!
Pudoodles in emu oil heaven Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |