Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

JCH - question re AminoGenesis skin care
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello John,

I have been into the Amino Genesis website and found their skin care line to be very interesting. However, they throw a lot of scientific stuff into the description of their product line and to my ignorant mind I am completely unsure as to whether or not there is any validity to any of their claims.

For example, they state that their product line is different because "no other skin care line can duplicate their incorporation of "amino acids" into their products." Most other skin care lines just coat the outer layer "the stratum corneum" covering and sealing and protection the skin and do not directly hydrate.

They go on to say that to be an effective skin care product three criteria must be met:

1) all ingredients must be able to penetrate the stratum corneum.

2) the emulsion to be transported must be of correct molecular size and weight to dissipate into the skin.

3) electro-static properties must be correct.

Well, I certainly don't know what all of the above means however, Amino Genesis states that all of their products meets the above criteria. Therefore, their skin care products are different and effective.

John, does any of the above make sense to you or is it all a bunch of crap used to sell a new product line?

Can you shed some light onto their claims?

Thank you for your time.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi leeleedeedee. I took some time and went to the AminoGenesis website and specifically looked at the Photolagen-AGF product, which had the description you refer to. Here is the ingredients list of that product:

Photolagen-AGF Ingredient List: Purified Water, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Palmitoyl, Pentapeptide-3, Xanthan Gum, L-Lysine HCI, L-Histidine HCI, L-Arginine HCI, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Threonine, L-Serine, L-Glutamine, L-Proline, L-Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Valine, L-Methionine, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Acetyl Tyrosine, Sodium Citrate, Polysorbate 20, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Butylene Glycol, PEG40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Laureth-7, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Polyacrylamide, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

The first thing I notice is that it starts with water so it is mostly water, then glycerin is added for moisturization, followed by "Finsolv TN" which is a spreading agent probably used to help spread the amino acids in this formula. The Isopropyl Palmitate is an emollient. After that I suspect everything is loaded at a very low percentage. The Pentapeptide-3 is the latest in peptide skin care technology, but other people are doing that too. To be honest, this is a pretty basic formula.

Now for the three "proven technologies".

1)All ingredients used must be capable of penetrating the stratum corneum, the protective barrier of the skin

Well, it is true that if you want something to work on the skin it is best if it can penetrate the barrier to get the work done. The basic ingredients in this formula do have some ability to penetrate, but there is no magic bullet penetrating component in here that makes it stand above the rest.

2)The emulsion to be transported must be of correct molecular size and weight to dissipate into the skin

Once again it is true that the molecular weight of the materials can't be so large that it won't be able to penetrate the skin. That is basic science really, and they make it sound "special".

3)Electro-static properties must be correct

This is the first time I've ever read that "electro-static" properties must be "correct". What does "correct" mean exactly?? This part sounds a little strange to me, and I would ask for more details before I would believe it.

Finally, this part: Controlled viscosity ensures maximum penetration... doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. It's not the viscosity really that controls penetration. It is more the spreading ability of the material, the molecular weight of the material, and the composition of the materials that drives penetration. I could make a very, very thick lotion and it would penetrate great by using the right raw materials. I could also modify the viscosity of that exact same lotion till it was water thin and it would still penetrate just as well simply because of the raw materials. Viscosity is not the primary reason for good penetration.

At $89.00 for a 2 ounce bottle, I think this product is overpriced based on what is in the formula and what they claim it will do. The only way to find out for sure is to try it, but like I say, the price seems high for what is in it.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your response, John. I knew you would be able to make sensible and logical statements made by the formulators of Amino Genesis that basically left me wondering if their products were unique. This has happened so many times before where a company throws all of these scientific terms at the consumer and to the unscientific mind, well anything can be possible. One really is left not knowing what to believe.

I'm tired of plunking down my money on products that make claims that are neither here nor there and result in their products being ordinary rather than extraordinary. Perhaps I'm being a bit unreasonable, but if I am going to spend a lot of money on a product I want it to be extraordinary Bad Grin

Thank you for your help.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:
Hi leeleedeedee. I took some time and went to the AminoGenesis website and specifically looked at the Photolagen-AGF product, which had the description you refer to. Here is the ingredients list of that product:

Photolagen-AGF Ingredient List: Purified Water, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Palmitoyl, Pentapeptide-3, Xanthan Gum, L-Lysine HCI, L-Histidine HCI, L-Arginine HCI, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Threonine, L-Serine, L-Glutamine, L-Proline, L-Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Valine, L-Methionine, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Acetyl Tyrosine, Sodium Citrate, Polysorbate 20, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Butylene Glycol, PEG40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Laureth-7, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Polyacrylamide, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

The first thing I notice is that it starts with water so it is mostly water, then glycerin is added for moisturization, followed by "Finsolv TN" which is a spreading agent probably used to help spread the amino acids in this formula. The Isopropyl Palmitate is an emollient. After that I suspect everything is loaded at a very low percentage. The Pentapeptide-3 is the latest in peptide skin care technology, but other people are doing that too. To be honest, this is a pretty basic formula.

Now for the three "proven technologies".

1)All ingredients used must be capable of penetrating the stratum corneum, the protective barrier of the skin

Well, it is true that if you want something to work on the skin it is best if it can penetrate the barrier to get the work done. The basic ingredients in this formula do have some ability to penetrate, but there is no magic bullet penetrating component in here that makes it stand above the rest.

2)The emulsion to be transported must be of correct molecular size and weight to dissipate into the skin

Once again it is true that the molecular weight of the materials can't be so large that it won't be able to penetrate the skin. That is basic science really, and they make it sound "special".

3)Electro-static properties must be correct

This is the first time I've ever read that "electro-static" properties must be "correct". What does "correct" mean exactly?? This part sounds a little strange to me, and I would ask for more details before I would believe it.

Finally, this part: Controlled viscosity ensures maximum penetration... doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. It's not the viscosity really that controls penetration. It is more the spreading ability of the material, the molecular weight of the material, and the composition of the materials that drives penetration. I could make a very, very thick lotion and it would penetrate great by using the right raw materials. I could also modify the viscosity of that exact same lotion till it was water thin and it would still penetrate just as well simply because of the raw materials. Viscosity is not the primary reason for good penetration.

At $89.00 for a 2 ounce bottle, I think this product is overpriced based on what is in the formula and what they claim it will do. The only way to find out for sure is to try it, but like I say, the price seems high for what is in it.

John

Wow, thank you so much John! Feel free to break down any product you see mentioned in the forum! We are very lucky to have you as a member.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |