Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone ever tried the Silk Powder from TKB Trading?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm almost out of my Jurlique Lavender silk dust, and looking for a cheaper alternative that is all natural and equally good at absorbing oil. Has anyone tried the silk powder fromwww.tkbtrading.com? How good are its oil absorbing properties? Can i use it alone, or do i have to combine it with their pearl powder, as one of our members Mary does?

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=315&ret=http%3A%2F%2F72.37.149.157%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26keyword%3Dsilk
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Why don't you try Carekate's version - I think it's half the price of the Jurlique. Or Everyday Minerals has a Silk Finishing Powder out that's 100% Silk dust (out of stock right now though).
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I would recommend Carekate's silkdust AND pearl cream as well!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
dollbird take a look at this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15674&highlight=tbk+silk+powder
HTH
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi dollbird,

I use TBK's Silk Powder all the time ... and while I've used it on its own, if what you want is a substitute for your Jurlique, then you should mix the silk powder with some other things.

I use the silk powder mixed with pearl powder [that I've run through the coffee grinder a few more times to mill it finer] and zinc oxide and titanium dioxide [for their sunscreen properties]

If your skin is oily, then you might want to mix some corn starch or rice starch into the mix as well. Then you can fragrance it as you like.

As for the pearl cream someone mentioned ... I'd highly recommend it as well Laughing ... but I'm biased because it was my invention to begin with! Laughing

The nice thing about mixing these things yourself is that you can customize them to your own skin type and condition.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
dollbird,

I ordered a decent size pack from there and yet still haven't used it. I bought it to make my own pearl paste from Carekate's recipe and I think that's where she gets it also.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi ariesxtreme,

Yes ... Carrie does get hers from TBK because I pointed her to it. The recipe that she posted, however, is my own.

She has altered it somewhat for the stuff that she makes ... but if you read her review, where she's posted the recipe, you'll see that it's my [hpjrt's]recipe .

It's really easy to make ... I just made a new batch this morning.

Good luck!

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I have the silk powder and some pearl powder and some zinc oxide, and I want to mix them up , but I dont have a coffee grinder!

boo!

Should I borrow a friends or is there an alternative way?!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi catski,

Well ... if you don't have a coffee grinder ... do you have a small "chopper" or food processor? Either one should work ... or at least help.

And ... when all else fails ... you may have to do it the old fashioned way ... by hand. It will take a lot longer ... but it will get the job done.

I suspect that you don't have a mortar and pestle ... but you can fudge one by using a bowl and a spoon.

Do this a little at a time ...

Pour some of the pearl powder into the bowl.

With the underside of the spoon, using your press down on the spoon and grinding the powder. You may have to use your thumb in the bowl of the spoon to generate more "weight".

Keep pressing on the pearl powder until there are no more big bits.

Work your way through whatever amount of pearl powder you want to use.

Once you've pressed all the pearl powder you need as fine as you can get it [and this will take a considerable amount of time ... but you can do it in front of the TV which takes a good deal of the boredom of the chore out of it!]... then put the pearl powder, silk powder and zinc oxide into a flour sifter ... and sift the two together into a bowl. I've found that this will help by the bigger bits not being able to get through.

You might even want to sift it a couple of times to ensure that it's well mixed.

Now ... if you want to add fragrance [and who doesn't] here's a tip that Carrie told me.

Take a piece of felt ... or 2 pieces if the felt is very thin ... and cut it to just a touch bigger than your powder container.

Saturate the felt with whatever fragrance you want the powder to have ... and place in the lid of the container. [Carrie also suggested having a piece of cheesecloth between the felt and the power to help keep the felt from actually touching the powder]

Close the container and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours ... preferrably 48 hours.

After that time, remove the saturated felt ... and you have fragrant powder.

Now ... I usually resift the powder at this point, just in case some of the Essential Oil/fragrance oil has dripped down into the powder. Resifting will break up any clumps that you may have.

Enjoy!

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Gosh Mary, that is really so kind of you to give me such clear instructions, I really appreciate it.

It sounds very do - able. Love the fragrance adding tip too.

I DID have a coffee grinder AND a pestle & mortar, but I have a husband who adores throwing things away if they arent used as often as he thinks is reasonable, given the space they eat in the kitchen. Rolling Eyes
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone! I've ordered all the ingredients to make Mary's finishing powder. Adding ZO and TO is a perfect idea!! Next I will make the pearl paste for night. I'm so excited!!
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:37 am      Reply with quote
Mary, If you don't add the ZO or TO to the mix silk/pearl , do you still need to refridgerate it and is there an "expiration" time on this mix? Thanks.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi nomoreneckpain,

Sorry for the confusion. The refrigeration of the powder is only for the frgrancing stage.

I'm not even sure if refrigeration is absolutely necessary ... but those were Carrie's instructions, so I pass them along. Smile

Once the scent is "set" ... then you'd just leave the powder on your vanity counter or in your makeup drawer. Laughing

Hope this helps clarify.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I've revived this old thread because I just ordered TKB powders for the first time and have a question. Mary mentioned earlier in the thread that the powders would need to be put in a coffee grinder to make them fine enough to use as a primer powder. I ordered the Micro Fine Silk Powder http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=315 and Micronized Pearl Powder http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=525 . Looking at the photos, they look to be the same consistancy as the pearl powder I was previously using. Is the powder now ground finer than it used to be when Mary posted, or do I need to still put it in a coffee grinder? And can the grinder be cleaned well enough to use it for coffee again?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
You don't need to grind the TKB silk and pearl powders. I think they changed the formulation of the powders from the time when Mary was posting. They are fine enough to be applied directly to the face as primer or finishing powders.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:45 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
You don't need to grind the TKB silk and pearl powders. I think they changed the formulation of the powders from the time when Mary was posting. They are fine enough to be applied directly to the face as primer or finishing powders.

Thanks m1rox. You probably just saved me from buying a new coffee grinder. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |