Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair changing color
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
OK, this may sound strange, but my hair is getting lighter and I didn't do anything! I liked my very dark brown (almost black) hair, but now it looks light-medium brown with golden highlights. I have no idea why this happened? This has been going on for the last year and at first I tried to ignore it, but last night I went to a friends house that I hadn't visited in six months and I remember my reflection in his mirror from last time... when I went to the bathroom it shocked me to glance in the mirror! In that lighting my hair looked light brown compared to black six months ago...

I did use Herbal Essences "citrus lift" shampoo several times about 8 months ago before my very ignorant self realized that "lift" meant highlights! I stopped right away and have been using the herbal essence "no frizzies" shampoo, the pantene "ice" shampoo, the serum noir shampoo, cond., and serum, and neutrogena moistuizing mask along with coconut oil, honey added to my conditioner, and about once a month ACV rinse.

Could it be the citrus lift? Vitamins or herbs I'm taking? Does stress cause this? Getting older? Maybe some funky ingedient in one of the new shampoos? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

TIA!
Robin M.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sun exposure could be lightening your hair (maybe also damage from heat styling as well). Try a mist that has SPF in it, perhaps?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Nijey wrote:
Sun exposure could be lightening your hair (maybe also damage from heat styling as well). Try a mist that has SPF in it, perhaps?

I can't believe I didn't think of that... I'm hardly ever in the sun, but I did start blowdrying my hair about a year ago and before that I always let it air dry. That must be it!

Thank you Nijey! What kind of heat protection do you recommend?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
that is very strange. usually hair becomes darker as one ages, well, until it becomes white.

i would say the citrus could give a lightening effect when combined with sun exposure, but since you're not really outdoors, i have no clue. i would switch shampoos to make sure that's not the culprit.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I was told by my hairdresser that lightening of hair is caused by the degradation of one's protective coating of hair. It's usually the outer most layer - this is what happens when one bleaches hair, it strips away that protective layer. Same concept regarding swimming and chlorine. There might be some ingredient in that shampoo you used that have caused this. I dye my hair often and now dyes coat my hair very easily and I am able to get the exact color effect as described on the boxes. I'm Chinese but if I let my hair grow out completely it's more of a dark brown/black rather than black - you can see a big difference in hair colour if you put my head beside someone with thick black hair. So what I experienced may be similar to what you are experiencing now.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
anomaly wrote:
Nijey wrote:

I can't believe I didn't think of that... I'm hardly ever in the sun, but I did start blowdrying my hair about a year ago and before that I always let it air dry. That must be it!

Thank you Nijey! What kind of heat protection do you recommend?

I have had the same problem in the past, I'm Iranian and my hair is naturally pure black, but after blowdrying it it turned brown Sad I use coconut oil as a heat protectant, I blieve there has been studies done on how coconut oil protect hair. I also recommend to stop using shampoos with sls's, I found that they worsened the problem. It could also be the minerals in your water. My sister's black hair turned a brassy color do to the iron in her water. Her and I use showerhead filters now Wink
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
dealated wrote:

I have had the same problem in the past, I'm Iranian and my hair is naturally pure black, but after blowdrying it it turned brown Sad I use coconut oil as a heat protectant, I blieve there has been studies done on how coconut oil protect hair. I also recommend to stop using shampoos with sls's, I found that they worsened the problem. It could also be the minerals in your water. My sister's black hair turned a brassy color do to the iron in her water. Her and I use showerhead filters now Wink

I definitely can't use coconut oil as a leave-in because my hair is very fine and thin. Everything I've tried weighs my hair down or makes it oily, so I never use anything in my hair. I just wash it and dry it. That's the only way it looks nice.

Any fine haired girls out there who use something to protect your hair that doesn't weigh it down?

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |