Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you peel after using alhpha hydroxy peels?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I started doing a series of 55% lactic acid peels to clear my acne scars (red marks) and in one treatment, the red marks were probably at about 60%, after two they were at 80%, both of these times my skin was very silky after doing the peels. I did my third one last night, and my scars are just about gone Very Happy but my skin is very flakey in some areas. Is this normal, or does it mean I over did it? Right after I peeled the areas that are flakey now were stinging like crazy, they were painful to touch. My impression is that this is a sign that I didn't wait long enough in between peels (i've been waiting 1 week, i will wait longer to do my next one) but I'm not sure if it is normal. Do people normally have visible peeling after alpha hydroxy peels? I miss the silky skin I had after the other two Sad Thanks for reading!
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Oops, I should have asked if you have visible peeling. I know all skin has some microscopic peeling. I'm just wondering if visible flaking is normal.
bubbleoffplumb
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
dealated
where you using these over your entire face, or only spot treating?

I honestly don't know much about the stronger peels - the strongest in my personal experience is 10% lactic (1.9 ph).i've found that if i only use it all over only once or twice a week, i don't suffer nearly as much flakiness. I can be more agressive with the spots that I'm focusing on - even hit those daily if i choose.
i have a similar experience with my bha's as well. I'll only occasionally do the entire face, but will be more aggresive with them in my t-zone.
My skin seems much happier when i don't use these all over.

I think your intincts are right, and you may be pushing too much.
(keep in mind this is coming from someone who goes for the slow and steady approach).
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
dealated,
I used to get glycolic peels at the Dr's office and I peeled the first few times. I don't know what strength you're using but I did mine every 4 weeks or so. My guess is that you need to wait longer between peels. Also, I was told to not use glycolic or vitamin c products a week before I was to get a peel. This was several years ago so things might have changed.

kimberly
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you both! I have been spot treating Smile Should have said- not my whole face. I think I will definitely start waiting two weeks instead of one. thanks Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dealated - I occasionally use a 55% lactic peel fromwww.makeupartistschoice -- but not very often, and certainly not once a week. My skin eventually peels a few days later. I've used it much less often since discovering PSF Pumpkin Enzyme Peel which is gentler and quickly removes dry patches and crustiness -- the reason I tried lactic acid in the first place. The enzyme peel doesn't cause any subsequent peeling. But it probably wouldn't lighten your scars as quickly as you've experienced with lactic acid at this strength. I think the reaction you had proves that a weekly application is too frequent for your skin. I hope you have a good sunscreen on hand since your skin is so much more vulnerable to photo-damage now, and in just the spots that you want to lighten.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |