Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Handling friends who are at-home beauty consultants
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone has a close friend who is an at-home beauty consultant, regardless of company. And what if you are not interested in buying regularly or a lot of stuff from them? How do you handle that? And how do you let them know that you don't want to be recruited for "the opportunity"?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
They usually don't pressure me into buying or really bring it up. My mum is a fan of Mary Kay (has been for as long as I can remember). I'm not a fan of most of those lines...though one helped with acne when I was 13. I actually tried selling Mark (Avon's younger line) a few years ago for extra cash but it was hard. I wasn't in school at that point and I ended up just buying for myself. I ended up giving it up after a few months when my local, well...don't know what you'd call her, the one who recruits in the area...kept calling and telling me I needed to sell more.

Argh. If I had "high pressure sales" friends, I'd seriously just tell them that I appreciate the "tips" but I'm really into my routine at the moment, but that'd if I ever did decide to venture into the realm of Avon, Mary Kay, etc, they'd be the first to know Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I just told the woman that I'd recently invested a lot of money in a new skincare line and that I was happy with it, and that I didn't want to attend her party because I didn't want to be tempted to buy anything more.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
This is a hard one, especially since they KNOW I'm into skincare and makeup! Its like "well, you use all those products, why don't you try my Mary Kay?"

I had a fomer roommate (quite the unlikeable gal) who did Beauty Control and who was RABID about recruiting people. I would just look at her and smile - drove her crazy! Another good friend does Mary Kay. I have such a bad image of that line, I'm sure its changed over the years and they have some good products, but I sincerely doubt I'd ever use anything from them ever, so I just tell my friend I use mostly natural products due to my sensitive skin.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Great topic! Ugh, I have a funny story about this subject... an RN who works at the hospital I work at is an arbonne representative. She gave me her arbonne card the first day we met, she was really, really nice and then she just whipped out her card and gave me the speech about why her products are the best, so I was a little turned off. I avoided her for a about 3 weeks until one day... she found me. I had just started using retin a that week for breakouts and my purging was very bad, she came up to me and asked if I had looked into the products she was selling. I told her no, and that I was trying an Rx retinoid and that I wasn't interested in changing my routine at the time. I said thank you and was about to excuse myself to my next patient, when she looked at my skin and said "Well, it's not really working, is it?". She said it in such a catty way! I was in shock. I ended up just walking away from her without another word. Thanks to you lovely ladies here my skin is clear and closer to flawless than it has ever been in my life! I look forward to seeing her now so she can see how well retinoids work Bad Grin
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:55 am      Reply with quote
dealated--i hope you run into her again! what a b*itch. like everyone who uses a certain skincare brand has perfect skin Rolling Eyes .

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
That is awful dealated.
Shock

Pocoloco - I think that is a perfect answer.
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I was a rep once for a company and all I got was a LIGHTER wallet... when all they do is advertise that you'll be making all this money.

Just be firm in your conviction and even if you did get roped into going to a party, you certainly aren't obligated to buy anything. But it's better not to go to the party in the first place if you're not interested.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
dealated wrote:
she came up to me and asked if I had looked into the products she was selling. I told her no, and that I was trying an Rx retinoid and that I wasn't interested in changing my routine at the time. I said thank you and was about to excuse myself to my next patient, when she looked at my skin and said "Well, it's not really working, is it?". She said it in such a catty way! I was in shock. I ended up just walking away from her without another word.

Lord!!!!! This (crazy) lady won't be very successful if this is how she speaks to potential customers!!! Get the woman some medication (after all, she works in a hospital Bad Grin )!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
I work at a makeup counter and Mary Kay women come in and give me their cards.

To them: Stop it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I had a freind long ago who sold beauty control, and I just told her once I finished up my already full draw full of makeup I'd give it a whirl, it never came up again!!!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Dealated - I had to look up where you were from again b/c I thought you might be talking about my cousin! She's an RN and just recently became an arbonne consultant, but our stories didn't match when she got rude with you. My cousin is probably the nicest (yet craziest!) person in the world and would never say anything like that. You had me worried there for a second though!

Yep, I have Mary Kay friends who have finally given up on me. I just don't like the line at all, although I know others love it.
ZenGirl

Fri May 18, 2007 10:32 am      Reply with quote
A good way to put off those consultants is to tell them that you don't like to use mineral oil, petroleum products and lauryl sulfates and other unnatural items on your skin. Most lines have them. That should keep them away from you.

The problem is...Arbonne does not, it's relatively good (in comparison to other home consultant brands) Swiss skincare. So if you don't want Arbonne...just say..."Yes, I've heard they are great products, but I'm really happy with what I am using now. My skin is really sensitive and I don't want to try anything new right now. But thank you anyway."

Yes, I know...they can be persistent. So you have to be...too....

"Hi, how is your skincare regime going? I still have that X product for you..." says the over-eager consultant.

"Going great...thanks...and I'm happy with my own stuff right now...but if Armageddon strikes and I'm left with just a bar of Lava soap and some Vaseline, I'll give you a ring!" (just kidding!) Very Happy

And if that doesn't work. Just say, "NO!" Laughing
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I don't have a problem ignoring 'friends' like that if they're not close friends. If they are closer friends, I would tell them I'd rather not mix our friendship with business because I really value our friendship, and want to make sure we stay friends for a long time. Buying stuff from friends just doesn't work. It's the same as lending money to friends. No can do.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Oh my, it's easier to get rid of Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses than it is to discourage a friend/neighbor who really wants to "covert" you to a new skincare routine!

I usually tell them I'm happy with what I have and leaning toward more natural and organic solutions. [ I say this to beauty consultants, not the Mormons although I'll see how this goes over with the next one that appears on my doorstep ] Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Simply ask them for the list of ingredients from EVERY product BEFORE she even shows you one thing so that you can make an educated decision if her products are any good or not. Chances are REALLY GOOD that she won't even have a list of ingredients.

First, it will probably be too much trouble for her to supply you with a list like that if she can find it.

If she can't supply the list tell her that you are just not interested in buying something with no information behind it.

If she does have a list, chances are good that it is made with low priced, inferior materials, and tell her you don't want to buy an inferior product.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
John C. Hill wrote:
Simply ask them for the list of ingredients from EVERY product BEFORE she even shows you one thing so that you can make an educated decision if her products are any good or not. Chances are REALLY GOOD that she won't even have a list of ingredients.

First, it will probably be too much trouble for her to supply you with a list like that if she can find it.

If she can't supply the list tell her that you are just not interested in buying something with no information behind it.

If she does have a list, chances are good that it is made with low priced, inferior materials, and tell her you don't want to buy an inferior product.

John

LOL...John, if everyone demands to see a list of ingredients before they buy a skincare product, Julie at perfect complexion will have no business since she refused to supply her ingredient list AND directions on how to use her products.
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Well, it's no "idle" request believe me!

ALL cosmetic companies that sell personal care products are REQUIRED to declare the entire ingredients list on the product. Only INCI names are allowed to be used, no trade "secret" names or things like that.

I would be VERY suspicious of any product without an ingredients list, and very, very suspicious of anyone who refuses to hand over their list of ingredients. At that point how do you know what's in it, and considering the latest problem with pet foods, are you willing to use something that you know nothing about??!!

John

5% products discount

Fri May 18, 2007 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Many years ago I lived down the hall from a woman who was selling Mary Kay products. Being one of those softhearted, couldn’t seem to say no thank you types, I bought some products from her.

Within about three days I had developed the worst case of cystic acne imaginable. I returned the products to her (with much difficulty) and repeatedly pointing to my previously flawless skin and saying “this is what your skin care line did to me”. She had the nerve to tell me “I didn’t know how to use skin cream”. Strangely I had seemed to know how to use it before the Mary Kay and regained that knowledge after the Mary Kay. Very strange!

It took a good six months to get my skin back to reasonable shape.

I have since learned how to say no. It took years and years of practise, but it was well worth it! Wink
Cuddles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Two of my close friends sell Arbonne. I respectfully, tried the sample kit (knowing that I wasn't going to change from my beloved Skinceuticals). After the trial period, I thanked them for the samples, but explained that I felt comfortable with my current routine, but that I would let them know if I change my mind. No pressure, all respectful, courteous. Remember, no REAL friend is going to be offended if you don't change your life to buy their product.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
My close cousin sells NuSkin and when she first started she was trying to talk everyone in the family into buying it. I wasn't interested in anyway, but was pressured by my mom to be "polite" and just buy something. Knowing what my skin was very sensitive, I told my cousin I was afraid it would start acting up. Having no intention to purchase any products from her and wanting to show my family that my skin was indeed very sensitive (without telling them of course Smile), I asked her if I could try out a face cleanser (I don't remember what it's called now) there. So, I went ahead and washed my face with the cleanser. When I came out of the bathroom no one mentioned how I should buy the products ever again as they could see my face was covered with red bumps! Luckily, the bumps went away in half an hour. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 18, 2007 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Harmonster wrote:
I work at a makeup counter and Mary Kay women come in and give me their cards.

To them: Stop it.

That used to happen to me too! About two or three times, this Mary Kay lady, whenever she cashed out, would be SO super nice and sweet and ask me how my day was and then she'd follow up:

"Well my name is so and so, and I sell MK products, and here is my card, we have a special on...blah blah blah"

I felt so used :P Not to mention offended, because I'm just not to type to simply rendevouz in the middle of my job. I found it inconsiderate and a bit two-faced.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
i m a rather straightforward person hence i will just tell her up-front that i m either not keen at all or will only buy when i see something that i need.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I smile and ask, "Do you have a card?"

Then, I tell them I refuse to use any product that's tested on animals and they should be ashamed for selling products tested on animals!

If they have an email or mailing address listed on their card, I send them info and links to my favorite animal assistance websites. Maybe they'll feel guilty and make a donation Surprised

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2007 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Heather, this works for me also and it's true. I won't use anything not cruelty free and it cuts out a lot, which is fine with me.

But I had a friend who is a rep for a hair line telling me her line isn't tested. But she looked uncomfortable and said "but I'm not really sure." And I told her that I AM sure the line is. In fact it is well known for that.

So it was an uncomfortable moment. I do think close friends should keep their friends off the 'sell to' list. If it's just an acquaintance, I can just gradually cut them off if they don't take hints and keep trying to sell to me. I've done that before.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |