Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Can Emu Oil make you break out?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Is it possible? My skin is pretty sensitive, and everytime I try emu oil my skin breaks out in tiny bumps. Is it just me, or does anyone else break out from it? I don't use the dremu, but another brand that is pure refined...are they all the same?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
It doesn't seem to be a frequent occurence, sure it's possible.
Is the oil fresh?
i don't think all emu oils are the same.
refined is a good start, but there are also grades of emu oil as rated by the AEA (american emu association):

"There are three grades of emu oil recognized by the AEA Trade Rules: Fully Refined (Grade A), Once Refined (Grade B) and Crude. We offer Fully Refined (Grade A) and Grade B Emu Oil. All of our emu oil is Fully Refined and carries the AEA Certified Fully Refined Seal. This is your assurance that our emu oil has been tested by a trusted outside source and meets the high standards set by the American Emu Association. "

the above is from the LB proccesors website.

if you've tried a fresh emu oil from a reputable company, and you still experience sensitivity and breakouts, then I'd say you're one of the rare ones and it's probably not for you.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't heard of emu oil breaking anybody out before...
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using emu oil for several years and have never heard of anyone breaking out. Look for something else you are using as the culprit. Greg
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
I haven't heard of emu oil breaking anybody out before...

Me either. It is suppose to soothe, however, I do think that if you are applying it on dry skin it might clog pores. You can avoid this all together bu applying it to wet/damp skin. I only use 1-2 drops, I know amount varies for each person but try cutting back the amount you are using and see if there is a difference. You also might want to look at other things(products, your cycle)to see if there is another culprit that is causing the bumps. Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Greg!! Very Happy Nice to see you... Wink
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:50 am      Reply with quote
I have mixing my emu oil with HA for the last 2-3 weeks and notice that my pores are larger - and appears to have increased.

Even mixing the ultra emu oil wih HA, I still find it takes a long time for it to be absorbed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Ninetynine - have you ever used emu oil by itself? As vonstella suggested, wet your skin first and then gently smooth/massage a few drops on. It helps to warm up the oil first as well Very Happy.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
Tangal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Emu oil does not cause breakouts most of the time. It is very low on pore clogging scale. BUT there are always exceptions. Some people can be sensitive to emu oil (just as with any other ingredient) which can cause irritation breakouts (not from clogged pores) others find it may not absorb well for them.

Because it can carry other ingredients into deeper tissues, it can make you more prone to sensitivity of the other ingredients used with it. (it enhances their penetration, so can also enhance your reaction/sensitivity to them) This can also lead to sensitivity breakouts.

And some people just don’t tolerate Emu, especially used neat. (Though they may do better with a dilute form)

In those cases an alternative is recommended. Jojoba is a good alternative, inexpensive, and also has trans-dermal properties. (absorbs through the outer skin surface later easily) It is very well suited to oily acne prone skin, as it helps clean out the inner pore wall of "sludge". Unlike Emu which does not loosen up cell wall stuff in this manner.

Since Emu cannot loosen the sludge as jojoba can, it may leave it sitting within the pore, which could be part of your breakout issue. Use a good BHA product to clean the dead cells and oils from within the cells. Many other skincare ingredients can buildup within the pores, causing clogs and breakouts. A number of skincare products recommended for sensitive and acne prone skin do have irritating and pore clogging ingredients.

Some people find a straight oil does not work well. However a blend will work very well, and absorb better. Some good premade blends I really like are here.
http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/facial.htm

Info on some of the oils used.
http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/facial_oil_ingredient_informatio.htm

The serums here are really just oils, you mix 2 to 5 drops with the spritz or DMAE-A/O sprits from this site. (or distilled water from your home) (a few sprays. Mix in palm of hand and apply to the face. If done correctly, it absorbs super face, and you will not feel any oil on the skin after 15 minutes. If you still feel an oil on your skin after 15 min, you have used to much.

For oily acne prone skin I really like a blend of Jojoba and Hazelnut oil. Jojoba helps regulate skin oil on all skin types; helps loosen cells and oils with in the pore, allowing freer flow, and can help enhance penetration of other treatments. It also lasts forever, so helps other oils mixed with it to stay shelf stable for longer. (Including Emu)

Hazelnut has some astringent properties, which make it very beneficial for acne prone skin.

Emu can be mixed with this blend to make it absorb better, and offer additional healing benifits, But if you cannot handle emu it can easily be skipped.

I am also a fan of adding other oils to thin the mix, but one must be careful in oil types and proportions.

If you like emu but it just does not absorb check a few things.

Make sure you are not applying to heavily:
Apply to damp skin, dilute with water. It should completely absorb in 15 min, leaving skin feeling moisturized, but not greasy.

Mix it with thinner skin friendly oils.
Many work well, make sure they are skin friendly and suited to your skintype. Some oils can clog pores, so do avoid those.

If one oil type does not suit you, check out alternatives. Since everyones skin is individual, something that works for others may not suit you. But there are many "good" oils available, that can be benificial to most skintypes. And can still work well for you.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I never heard of anyone breaking out from Emu Oil.

I would try Tangals's recomendations.
Also, since it is an animal product you just may be allergic to it (red bumps sounds like allergic reactions?).

Good luck,
Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I think that it really depends on the individuals skin. No one really knows how someone's skin will react to a product.
You could try putting it on only half of your face and see if you still break out there?...
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can try another brand of emu oil. You never now it could be a reaction to the bran you use right now. It might not be refined enought . I look at the Ifeelpretty products and they look great !

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Moosette, does your emu oil contain added vit E? If yes, this is may be the cause of your break out.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Anything can make you break out if you have an allergy or sensitivity to it, especially if you have sensitive skin. People also find, often times, that a product they once loved is now causing adverse reactions because it has caused sensitizations. I would suggest ruling out any other products that may be the culprits and if it is in fact the Emu Oil, then I would recommend switching to Organic Rosehip Oil which is excellent for sensitive skin. As for your question "are they all the same?", short answer - defintiely not. Just research some information on skin oils and you'll find there are many types, variances etc to every oil out there. Good luck and hope your condition improves.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! Nope, my emu doesn't contain vitamin E and I tried the emu again last night with a couple drops of HA serum...and this morning my face was all broke out again! Sad Maybe I'm using too much product, or is it possible to have a reaction to HA? I'm so bummed... I hate my facial skin so much, I can't use anything without it freaking out! I even tried jojoba oil one time and the same thing happened...the next day my face was all broke out in a rash.
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice, I guess emu isn't for me...back to the drawing board Crying or Very sad

Wildflower...where can I find organic rosehip oil in Canada...maybe I could try some of that. Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
moosette, what HAVE you been able to use on your face, for a moisturizer? Have you tried any of the sensitive skin formulations by Avene or Laroche Posay?
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Never tried emu oil but think rosehip is great.
I wouldn't say I have pure sensitive skin..but since I simplified my routine and it includes using 3-4 drops pure rosehip oil as my main moisturiser, my skin has been pretty much clear.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Moosette, I break out rather easily from lotions & potions & HAVE NOT from emu oil!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
moosette, what HAVE you been able to use on your face, for a moisturizer? Have you tried any of the sensitive skin formulations by Avene or Laroche Posay?

Hi PocoLoco! Unfortunately I can't use much, mostly pretty plain formulations. For the longest time, I think since I was in my twenties I used just plain old Aveeno lotion on my face. Then I discovered LRP Toleraine fluid which I love in the summertime, but winter I need something more moisturizing. I tried the toleraine riche, but something in that broke me out in a rash as well. I also tried the Avene soothing cream, but I found that wasn't suitable either, and alot of the avene formulations contain fragrance which is a big no-no for me! I have been using Dove sensitive essentials day lotion and night cream, which are okay but not HG's or anything.

I guess I'm always on the look out for that "perfect moisturizer" for my skin thats why I wanted to try the emu oil, after hearing about all the raves here on EDS and how great it was for sensitive skin. Here I am in my forties, STILL looking for my Holy Grail... I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've wasted on moisturizers, it would boggle your mind...I truly have the most sensitive skin on the planet! I've always said I would trade my sensitive, eczema prone fussy skin with zits anyday!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
moosette wrote:
Wildflower...where can I find organic rosehip oil in Canada...maybe I could try some of that. Thanks!

There are lots of places where you can purchase Organic Rosehip oil but you'll find quite a variety in quality out there. I'll just suggest the lines I've used and love. The Primavera line (which I think is one of the best lines out there) can be purchased fromwww.saffronrouge.com or you can also purchase from a small local Toronto company who is also my professional supplierwww.acqua-vita.com (they sell in plastic bottles so if you want to prolong the life of your oil I would suggest transferring it to an amber galss bottle). Hope that helps. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
moosette wrote:
I tried the toleraine riche, but something in that broke me out in a rash as well.

Have you tried the toleriane cream, not the riche?

moosette wrote:
I guess I'm always on the look out for that "perfect moisturizer" for my skin thats why I wanted to try the emu oil, after hearing about all the raves here on EDS and how great it was for sensitive skin. Here I am in my forties, STILL looking for my Holy Grail... I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've wasted on moisturizers, it would boggle your mind...I truly have the most sensitive skin on the planet! I've always said I would trade my sensitive, eczema prone fussy skin with zits anyday!

I also want to love emu oil but it just sat on my face for hours. I would still wake up with dry flaky skin. Jojoba broke me out and rose hip just sat on my face as well.

I feel for you. I have very hypersensitive skin as well. I finally found a cleanser I like, now searching for the nice rich moisturizer for winter. I just started trying eucerin urea face cream. Fingers crossed.

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Moosette,

I have never broken out (acne) from emu. Jojoba breaks me out.

PocoLoco and TheresaL both have really sensitive skin. I hope one of them can help you find something appropriate. I'm wondering if maybe you could PM/email Darren at PSF and ask him for a suggestion.

It's crazy how there are HUNDREDS of products out there but we just can't find ONE that we love, huh?

I mean, they can put men on the moon but.... Rolling Eyes

Marla

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Moosette

Re yr request for quality organic rose hip oil, I have a suggestion. Try Kosmea's certified 100% organic oil. Its beautiful stuff.

It should be available at any quality natural or whole food outlet; comes from Australia . Kosmea has a whole line of organic rose hip oils for different purposes. I bought a 15ml bottle at my local whole food outlet for around $30.

In another post I ascertained you live in TO so you might try Noah's Natural Foods - great place & they have several outlets.

Good luck.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:59 am      Reply with quote
marla wrote:
PocoLoco and TheresaL both have really sensitive skin. I hope one of them can help you find something appropriate.

The moisturizes that I am using now are not technically for sensitive skin but they are working for me. I am using the Kanebo CP Emulsions I and II, the Kose Sekkesei Cream, Kanebo Silk Moisture Polish Essence and Jurlique Herbal Recovery Mist OP. I have also tried the Kanebo Silk Soothing Cream and that worked very well too. If you need more moisture than the Toleraine Fluide then maybe the Emulsion II, Soothing Cream or the Kose Cream would work well. I actually always use two moisturizers-a light hydrator and a more emolient one on top of that.

I would definetly recommend samples!! The Kose Cream is the only product out of that range which my skin likes and the Jurlique Mist is also one of the few Jurlique products that my skin seems to like. I have been using alot of the Kanebo products lately because for some odd reason my skin tolerates them well. I have tried soooooo many moisturizers and even ones that are supposed to be tolerated by the "most" sensitive skin and most of them are irritating. Unfortunatly it is alot of trial and error!
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:08 am      Reply with quote
TeresaL-Where can I find the Kanebo products? Can they be purchased in Canada? Thanks!

And to everyone that has responded to this thread...I thankyou all so much! Its very frustrating to have ultra sensitive skin, thats why I joined the forum here on eds in the first place, desperately trying to find something that would work for me...but instead I found alot of great caring people with alot of helpful advice! Very Happy

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |