Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Please recommend me a good moisturising hair product
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Thu May 13, 2004 5:57 am      Reply with quote
My hair is rather upset with me for using a different brand of semi-permanent hair colour on it a few weeks ago (I do it myself). At least I think it was the hair colour that changed the condition of my hair. Perhaps I left it on for too long? Question Anyways, what's done is done. It's now kinda dry and I guess it breaks easily too. You know when you get those little tufts of hair about an inch long that just stick out? I've got that at the moment Crying or Very sad

I'm looking for something in addition to my shampoo and conditioner that I can put in my hair after I towel dry it. So something moisturising and preferably something that gives a bit of hold too.

Can anyone recommend something like that, or something similar? Many thanks!

Mabsy
littlebelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2004 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,

I have been using the shampoo and conditioner from Shesido for quite a long while and it's the best product I've ever tried before. I've got very dry hair before but after using the Shesido conditioner, it becomes more soft and easy to brush now. I think the crucial part is that you have to dry away the excess water after washing your hair then apply the conditioner and massage it gently for a few mins, leave it at least 5 mins or preferrably 20-30 mins (you may want to use a shower cap) then rinse it with water.

You'll find your hair condition turns better soon. Angel
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2004 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I know everyone's hair responds differntly to products. Sometimes I think its more unpredictable than skin.
My favorite & I continuously search remains Sebastian Potion 9. You might be familiar with it but it is great for over-processed hair & is a leave in conditioning treatment/styling product. I use it on wet hair and let my hair dry naturally but it's very versatile. Smile
asrai
5% products discount

Thu May 13, 2004 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't been here in a while, but trust me on this one Mabsy!

The ARTec Naturals Kiwi Hydrating Treatment (used to be called Moisture Pak) is brilliant. It's designed to help keep your colour as well. It's incredibly moisturising and it smells so yummy!

*Whispers very softly* your sweety will probably love it too! Wink Embarassed Very Happy
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2004 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have been in the same boat as you. I always turn to Aveda Curessence shampoo and conditioner. I swear, it is like a miracle in a bottle. Also, I have been bouncing back and forth between Aveda Color Conserve and Pureology as my everyday shampoo. My hair color of choice is coppery red and both do a great job at keeping the color from fading.

Liz
CharlieBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2004 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I will have to second Liz's Aveda recommendation. The curessence is awesome when your hair is 'misbehaving' or stressed. One thing to keep in mind, I was having this conversation with my hairdresser just the other day, that many times when your hair seems dry, it really needs protien. If it is brittle and breaking, it needs protien more than moisture. That is what the curessence gives your hair. It really is not a shampoo that you would want to use on a regular basis (it is rather expensive also), it really is more of a treatment/rescue shampoo.

Another line that you might want to look at is Kerastase. It is really great. http://www.kerastase.com/_en/_gb/Conso/Home/home.aspx They have a great line of treatment/styling products. I do not think that I could live without their lumiere nutri-sculpt.

Here is the Kerastase products that would probably help you the most..

http://www.kerastase.com/_en/_gb/Conso/Products/gamme2.aspx?CategoryCode=F1_Nutritive^F2_Nutritive_Intense

C.B.
Mabsy

Thu May 13, 2004 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your recommendations!

Asrai - hmmm I knew I should have waited with the FountainCosmetics order Sad I just placed it yesterday and of course they carry ARTec AND Sebastian AND Kerastase! Grrrr!

I don't really want to switch my shampoo and conditioner at the moment, just add to it really. Aveda comes up time and again when people talk about shampoos and I will eventually just have to try this! Smile

I'll check out the stuff you recommended. OMG Potion 9 RRP is Au$41.95 for 150mL! Wow! Looks like I have some "research" and online shopping to do tonight Smile

Btw, have you tried Terax Original? I remember reading somewhere that heaps of people swear by it but I have never tried it myself.

Thanks!
Mabsy
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2004 12:24 am      Reply with quote
Gah!! Hair products are one thing I'm absolutely clueless about! But I *have* had exceptionally good luck with Aveda. I also really like Farouk's Silk Therapy treatment, as it makes my hair softer and shinier when it gets really dry.

I don't know whether to cry sometimes because the human body is so high-maintenance, or cheer over that because it gives me more opportunities to try new products! Confused

Reading this topic has brought up a question for me, though. CharlieBaby said that when the hair is dry, it needs more protein, which does make sense. But one of my favorite hair dressers and colorists told me that too much protein actually makes the hair snap and break, and that using a moisturizing conditioner with little protein is the way to go (so I tried using the Aveda Cherry Almond Bark conditioner, but I'm still looking around for other things to try.) She's also the same person who informed me that the ancient Egyptians used to use bat guano to perm their hair because it has lots of ammonia in it. Smile But she says the protein actually starts building hair up, making it less flexible and pliable, and more prone to breakage.

I wonder which is more applicable... brittle dry hair stemming from too much protein or too little? I've heard more than just these instances arguing for both cases.
asrai
5% products discount

Fri May 14, 2004 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Oh I second the Kerastase and Aveda also!

I use the Kerastase Elasto Curl shampoo and conditioner and love it, and I use an Aveda witch hazel hairspray which actually makes my hair *soft*, can you believe it?!
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2004 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy
I use Kerastase Nutritive Anti Frizz. If you are looking for one simple product to nourish and get some control - this is good. Also, I find that it does a reasonable job to reverse the damage.

Cheers
Jenny
Caspers Mum

Fri May 14, 2004 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Some good ones to consider, both professional & drugstore variety:

Professional
L'Oreal's Kerastase Line
Redken's All-Soft Line

[u]Drug Store
Pantene for Dry/Damaged Hair
Mabsy

Sat May 15, 2004 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! I spent quite a while yesterday looking over the Kerastase line and decided to go with the Ciment Anti Wear product. It's described as "reconstructive smoothing care" - sounds promising Laughing Also got some TiGi Bed Head After Party - for the pesky little broken hairs that insist on sticking out in all directions. And, got some Kevin Murphy Fresh Hair (a dry hair cleaner) - because it sounds great and should be good for after gym or days when I'm too lazy to wash my hair Embarassed

Mabsy
Misty

Fri May 21, 2004 9:34 am      Reply with quote
[color=blue] pantene leave in conditioner or john freida anti frizz leave in conditioner would also work.[/color]
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2004 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Mabsy, I don't kow how I missed this post. By now you probably have your hair under control with so many awesome recommendations. But I had a similar experience as you in the past, with a bad highlighting job that resulted in breakage and really dry hair. This is what I used to whip it back in shape, as I color/highlight my hair every 4-6 weeks.

For an at home p.m. treatment, put a handful or generous amount of pure organic extra virgin olive oil (Trader Joe's has the cheapest, but don't know if they carry that store in Australia) on your hair, and if your hair is super dry it will absorb and won't be a greasy mess. Place a towel over your pillow case, go to sleep and in the a.m. wash it off. Your hair will feel so soft and nourished.

And for everyday use, I cannot live without Aveda Brilliant emollient finishing gloss. It is nourishing and smells heavenly. There is no hold though. Good luck and sorry I haven't had a chance to write, I've been neglecting my e mails!
Mabsy

Sat May 22, 2004 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Thoughtcrime!

I actually went and got a hair cut yesterday to try to get rid of some of the broken hairs (can't get rid of the little one though Confused ). I've started using the Kerastase and I'll try your organic extra virgin olive oil trick too Wink I don't know about that specifc brand but I'm sure I'll find something suitable.

I'm still very tempted by Aveda. I walked into a salon that sold it yesterday but I couldn't recall any of the specifc products that are supposed to be good so decided to come back another time. I've never tried Aveda before but all the recommendations have got me wondering...

Not to worry, I'm slack with my emails too Laughing

Hope all is well,
Mabsy
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2004 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, Aveda styling products are wonderful. Their shampoos and conditioners are nice too, but I like Pureology (vegan line specializing in color preservation that smells amazing!) way better. I wouldn't get my hair colored/highlighted at Aveda concept salons though, especially if you have dark hair. It was seriously the worst highlight job I've ever had. My hair had orange streaks Shock and it as the owner who did my hair who is a stylist for magazines! You would never have been able to tell that after looking at my hair! Not to sound dramatic but I was seriously traumatized! I will never go to that Aveda concept salon again. I've heard from others including professional stylists that the colors don't last long either. I didn't get a chance to tell, because that same day, I went to another salon to fix the orange mess she created. I didn't even want to go back there and have her touch my hair. Sorry for the rant. Embarassed But in summary, I know how you love nice smells Mabsy, and Aveda is quite known for their aromatherapy. I recommend anything in the Aveda "Brilliance" line. It's just such a damn shame that Estee Lauder owns them and their not independent anymore. Oh and I heard the same thing that Charlie Baby heard about hair needing protein. It worked for me, I love Alfa Parf shampoo (smells amazing like perfume and so does their hair oil), and Catwalk oatmeal and honey conditioner(has no honey and smells lke butterscotch--not a butterscotch fan, but this is so yummy!). Both contain proteins that strengthen damage hair. Good luck with your hair
Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2004 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
without a shadow of a doubt, I would recommend Kerastase.
Masquintense Cheveux Fins Intensive Care for very dry and fine hair. My hair was breaking off and I used this x3 a week plus took supplements of Biotin and Silica and my hair is now looking great.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2004 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Aveda Sap Moss is good for getting moisture in your hair. Their shine serum / wax is good for adding gloss and defluffing your hair.

Coconut / olive oil both very good the longer you leave then the better.

Pantene is ok but I try to avoid mineral oil products in the long term.

And don't worry as a certified home dyer / bleacher (complete with blue green mistakes and the night before I went away) you notice any faults much more than anyone else will. In the end getting some of that burnt hair trimmed will be best.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |