Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

tummy ponch
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
I need help- I'm developing a tummy ponch- I'm 30, 5'6 and about 118lbs, lean all over, except my stomach!!!
What the heck is happening? I know I'm not pregnant! But I can't seem to get rid of my flabby midsection. When I work out and go to the gym I can do sit ups and crunches for hours and no help- do any of you have any tips for getting rid of my jelly belly?
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
The stress hormone Cortisol can cause fat accumulation around the middle. Try Pilates/Yoga. The middle ponch problem is the bane of middle-aged females (not that you're there yet).
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Sharky,

I had heard about excess cortisol causing extra tummy baggage- and I usually am pretty stressed out!
I saw some stuff at GNC that is supposed to help get rid of cortisol- not sure how healthy that is- has anyone tried anything like that?

I recently did buy some pilates and yoga DVDs-now i guess i just gotta use them!

(And tell my husband that his stressfull family is causing my tummy bulge!) Wink
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Geesh...I must have alot of cortisol!! Laughing Confused
Seriously though, having a baby doesn't do much for the old tummy ponch either Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Walking, abdominals and lots of water helps flush out the fat and lose the water retaining also.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I know...for me it's the age thing though. I've always been thin...but this year...I have to give up my low risers Embarassed but my weight is the same..has been for 25 years ( o.k. except during 2 pregnancies) I've never had to work out my entire life...I don't know where to start.I also like immediate gratification, so if I start the sit-up thing I'd want results tomorrow...therein lies the problem.

Obviously it's not the age thing with you but there may be something to the stress thing..since my Dad passed away (under horrible circumstances a couple of years ago) I'm constantly in stress mode. DH says I have a seige mentality. The tummy thing started around then & I just chalked it up to age. I guess it's a combination of both. I'd love to hear more about this. I've been spending so much time on this board trying to fix my face, I've totally neglected my body Embarassed
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
I hear ya ladies,
I have been thin all of my life, and never really had to work out, and when I do, I want to see my 6 pack by tommorrow as well!

I am going to try and go to a GNC tonite and see if they have anything that helps reduce cortisol, or have some sort of cortisol busting pill that I can take- although i hate taking pills!
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
OK ladies, this is the common problem: as we age, things drop south. This effect increases with weight gain, pregnancies, etc. If you are short-waisted (less than 2" between top of hip bone and bottom rib) your organs have less room to fall back to the spine, and will pooch forward. Those who are long-waisted tend to have less of a problem with this.

So, if you are lean and do crunches, sit ups, etc ad nauseum OVER these 'dropped' organs, you will get a nicely taut rounded pooch. The key is to first RAISE the organs where they are supposed to be: up more navel-high, THEN do crunches. Believe me, this works. If you visit this site, you can find free info on how to do this:

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/flatstomach/

It WORKS. Put 'organs in place' a few times, then do your crunches. I'm short-waisted, 50, and have a relatively flat tummy even though I'm not super skinny any more like I used to be before I hit menopause.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat-That is an awesome link, I'm going to try it right now!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thats a good link Chocolat!

I'm a little scared, but I will try it, as i am short waisted- I have a mile long legs, but no waist!

One question- they are talking about the american/canadian "Fanny" in the description right?
Not the British version?
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
seconding the gross organ stuff. as we get older, the lower abdominal wall weakens quickly (especially if you've had kids) and the pooch often isn't fat as much as it is your abdominal muscles not being strong enough to hold in your intestines and other junk, so they pooch out (that's why it's so low and usually not right at your middle).

sit ups and crunches are really not effective for strengthening the area below the belly button -- you need to do the kind of excercises that are found in pilates and other core-strengthening workouts. Think ab exercises that are more about waving your legs around, or lifting both your legs and upper body off the ground.

pilates has done wonders for me, and has been the easiest workout to stick with.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat wrote:
OK ladies, this is the common problem: as we age, things drop south.

so I am going to end up with fat feet too? Laughing Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
l suggest you should try green tea !
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Chocolat-it does work. Weird, but the organs definately moved.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
I know...for me it's the age thing though. I've always been thin...but this year...I have to give up my low risers Embarassed but my weight is the same..has been for 25 years ( o.k. except during 2 pregnancies) I've never had to work out my entire life...I don't know where to start.I also like immediate gratification, so if I start the sit-up thing I'd want results tomorrow...therein lies the problem.

Obviously it's not the age thing with you but there may be something to the stress thing..since my Dad passed away (under horrible circumstances a couple of years ago) I'm constantly in stress mode. DH says I have a seige mentality. The tummy thing started around then & I just chalked it up to age. I guess it's a combination of both. I'd love to hear more about this. I've been spending so much time on this board trying to fix my face, I've totally neglected my body Embarassed

Marina - I can't believe it! I have the exact same problems... Everything you said is true for me too!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Laughing I don't know if you noticed, but our skin problems are similar ( I think);oily.-need to use products for mature skin-but they're always too oily/heavy-skin type.

I forgot to mention the 2 teenage girls adding to my "seige mentality" Rolling Eyes
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
CanadaGirl, yup it's the American/Can 'fanny.' As in your butt. After you do the OIP move, then you do butt-tucks, not simply lifting the hips up & down, but more curling the butt under-&-up, pressing the lower/small of the back down at the same time; it's more of a hip-tilt upwards. It's a much more subtle & effective move. I too am short waisted with very long legs! (5'9" and my legs are like 34") This really works well for me. The T-Tapp site sells a floor abs workout called "Hit the Floor" that is super for the abs, and includes the OIP move.

Annie R yes it does feel weird, and if you have any cramps or are at all bloated/gassy it may even feel a bit uncomfortable, but it helps those conditions too!

TigerTim, I do think our feet get a bit larger as we age, I've esp. heard that w/pregnant women (I don't have kids myself). I was a consistent 8-1/2 shoe size most of my adult life, but now I'm tending more to be a 9, depending on the fit of the shoe.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
This thread is very useful for me, thanks for that link, chocolat.

Pilates is wonderful - it really makes you look as if you've lost weight.

my feet are definitely half a size bigger bigger since I had my second child.

( everything else is bigger too..)
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Laughing I don't know if you noticed, but our skin problems are similar ( I think);oily.-need to use products for mature skin-but they're always too oily/heavy-skin type.

I forgot to mention the 2 teenage girls adding to my "seige mentality" Rolling Eyes

You are right - I have a hard time finding products that are not too oily/heavy for me.
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the awesome advice chocolat- i will definately try moving my organs this weekend!

I'm as sooo short waisted as well- 5'6 and 33' legs!!! I hate my body above my butt!

I am going to start the yogalates dvd i got as well- I really need to kick start getting my body into shape again- and I haven't even had kids yet!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR Mad I have the same problem. I would have to agree with the Pilates and Yoga suggestions though. I had a core strength class last week and my abs hurt so bad the next day I could barely get up off my chair. Shock LOL But it was a "good burn" and the pain was gone by the dat after. I loved having the feeling that what I was doing was actually having an effect. I used to do loads and loads of crunches (correctly I should add) and I found it never really did much so Yay And Ouch for pilates! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Pilates worked for me when i tried to tone the flabby tummy after child-birth.
naomim
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem, lean apart from the "pot" as my hubby calls it....

Here in the Uk I have read that..with the design of the low cut waist on the jeans the body is not stupid, it lays down fat to protect the organs from the cold. Also in the UK in the centre of towns it is common for girls to go out in skimpy clothes and apparently exposing your organs to cold over a long period of time or frequently can cause problems later on as they are struggling to function at temperatures they are not designed to function in. I suppose like when you buy an appliance it has a temperature range it will function in....so, to sum up, other than what has already been posted if you wear low cut waist jeans (as I do) keeping warm in the waist might help too....

and you know after I had my kid, my stomach was flat until I started to wear low cut waisted jeans...

Does anyone else see a diffence in the waist and tummy after wearing low cut jeans ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Get a Pilates tape and try to find a friend to work out with. Two years ago I did this 3-4 times a week and by 8 weeks I had lost about 1.5" from my waist and flattened my stomach without losing weight (I was eating a lot at the time). Then I fell out of the habit.

I am trying to do three times a week now (I meet 2 other women at a local gym one is regular 2X per week and one is off and on). I find having someone else going makes me cancel less often and it is really hard to do it at home with family stuff to do.

Any way I know it works just keeping at it is hard.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:33 am      Reply with quote
I hate to beat a dead horse but I have to agree with the pilates recommendation! I've hovered around the same weight for years but even at my heaviest, I always had a flat stomach and no love handles to speak of until about 6 months ago when BAM!!!, I started literally dripping out of the sides of my low riders. YUCK! Shock

Out of desperation, I started doing pilates (which I HATE) about 2-3 times per week and in just about three weeks (so about 6 - 9 classes), my low riders came back out of the goodwill bag! I am also seeing a breast lift, better than the breast lift I was getting with yoga alone.

So as much as I DREAD going to pilates, and relish the yoga classes in between as my preferred method of exercise, I have to say that it's the fastest way I've ever seen to toning and tightening. Wow.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |