Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Help ... I have a teenager!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
vava_gurl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering what others experiences are with raising teenagers especially girls. I have one. She is 17, tall, beautiful, intelligent, creative, friendly, thoughtful, generous, funny and very sweet.....and then there's this other person that takes her place sometimes and well she is soooo different. She is irritable, argumentative, selfish, bossy, self absorbed, and a complete pain in the a#*. And as much as I totally love her warts & all sometimes the frustration of being the parent and trying to do the right thing just brings me to my knees.

I know I am one of the lucky ones compared to the terrible pain some of my friends are going through ... she's not a wild party girl, not overly obsessed with boys or anything of great concern (excluding the OC & Greys Anatomy), has good moral standards but ... and this is a big BUT she & I have this love/hate thing going on. It started about 12 months ago and has been up & down since. Must be a Mother/Daughter thing. Drives me crazy especially when I am exhausted or flat out with work. Anyway I am hoping for light at the end of the tunnel and sometimes I am sure I see a little glimmer.

One experienced friend said to me that one should say "goodbye to teens at 13 and say hello again at 21". Seems a little drasic to me.

Anyway just putting it out there to see where others are at with their teen angels! Wink
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
My mother-in-law once told me that teenagers are like baby birds. They become more annoying as they grow in order to encourage you to push them out of the nest. It's natures way of preparing you for their departure and you're more ready for them to "fly away". If they were perfect all the time, we'd never want them to leave. Mine is 20 and at college and rather than fly he seems to bounce back as I try to push him away. I have jokingly remarked before that the umbilical cord seems to have become a bungy cord. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have a 17 year old boy. But my sister had the same problems you do, and she said everyone she has ever talked to with a teenage daughter goes through it. I know that doesn't help you much, but I thought my might like to know you are not alone and it won't last forever!
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi vava_gurl!

Your daughter sounds like how I used to be with my mother!

I always had a good head on my shoulders, got good grades, was very honest about my partying (for the most part) etc... and had a very trusting relationship with my mother.
and I also had pink hair, lots of peircings... but still worked in a daycare - it all balances out!

but honestly, adolesence is like a disease that everyone grows out of... and from the sounds of it your daughter will come out okay in the end!
right now she needs to test boundaries, and experience the emotional ups and downs of being a teenager.
the best thing for her is to have a solid place to call home (and that she can come back to even after she has majorly messed up!) and a mother who will listen to her (even if she doesn't like what is being said)

looking back I probably terrified my mother (and no doubt was such a pain in the a**!!!) but my mom always has been and always will be my hero. she repected my indivuality and set good (and firm) boundaries.
even though I was a total beligerant b*tch at times, I always respected my mom's opinion (although I wouldn't always tell her that)
and even if I didn't listen to her, I always felt so guilty afterwards that I would have to talk to her about it!

i'm not sure if you find this helpful, but
I assure you, there is light at the end of this tunnel!
the tough part is that you have to go through all this garbage right now.

take care! and good luck!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with lulabelle. I totally gave my parents heck when I was a teenager!!!! But like lulabelle, even when I was fighting with my parents I still respected their opinion, even if I didn't tell them that. Wink Hang in there--- I have a great relationship with my parents now!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="lulabelle"]Hi vava_gurl!

Your daughter sounds like how I used to be with my mother!

Oh Lulabelle you are a doll! What a great story... insightful and inspiring!

AnnieR I also think that what your mother-in-law had to say was so apt.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I appreciate your comments and words of wisdom. Life with or without children is a big rollercoaster ride and I would rather take the ride than watch it from a distance.

Afterall "Life is about the journey and not about the destination."

...and off I go to don my armour and head back out on to the battlefield! Wink
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
oh, that's exactly how I was with my mom. Honestly I think you're just so self absorbed when in you're in highschool that it's hard to understand how your moods and conduct might affect someone else...it's not a selfish thing as much as it is just not realizing your own impact. I look back at highschool and am horrified how my friends and I treated each other, not out of meanness, but just out of thoughtlessness.

I was so hot and cold with my mother (mainly cold) but after I was in my 20's she became a best friend.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:09 am      Reply with quote
You know, I may be 40, but I remember what a total s**t I was to my parents from around 14-19.. but at the same time I could be their "angel" too. And when I look back, I know it was nothing wrong with what they did and nothign wrong with what I did.. it was just that growing phase where I was asserting myself and trying to find out who I was (and I think that is the age we work out - both consciously and unconsciously - which parts of our parents we want to incorporate into ourself and which parts make us cringe). I think all teenages possess a jekyl and hyde personality.

And whilst Annie's comment was frickin' hilarious (bungee cord rofl ), there is a HUGE truth to it. The parents who cut their kids loose are the ones who get them "back" - with more frequency and sincerity. Some relatives and I were talking about this recently. The cleaner you cut the ties, the stronger those ties become. Laughing

Don't worry.. she will come back to you - you might have to wait till she goes away to college (or even till she graduates) but your beautiful intelligent daughter will be back. In the meantime, buy a good lock for the bathroom, some of Candy's bathtime goodies and when your daughter's evil twin is present lock yourself in and switch off ! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:32 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
You know, I may be 40, but I remember what a total s**t I was to my parents from around 14-19.. but at the same time I could be their "angel" too. And when I look back, I know it was nothing wrong with what they did and nothign wrong with what I did.. it was just that growing phase where I was asserting myself and trying to find out who I was (and I think that is the age we work out - both consciously and unconsciously - which parts of our parents we want to incorporate into ourself and which parts make us cringe). I think all teenages possess a jekyl and hyde personality.

And whilst Annie's comment was frickin' hilarious (bungee cord rofl ), there is a HUGE truth to it. The parents who cut their kids loose are the ones who get them "back" - with more frequency and sincerity. Some relatives and I were talking about this recently. The cleaner you cut the ties, the stronger those ties become. Laughing

Don't worry.. she will come back to you - you might have to wait till she goes away to college (or even till she graduates) but your beautiful intelligent daughter will be back. In the meantime, buy a good lock for the bathroom, some of Candy's bathtime goodies and when your daughter's evil twin is present lock yourself in and switch off ! Laughing

Tim you are a cracker Laughing Laughing Laughing Luv a good laugh!! I will take that advice on board Very Happy [/quote]
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:54 am      Reply with quote
And don't get me wrong, I love being close to him now. We have a great relationship, it's just so hard to get thru those years. Girls have a lot of hormonal issues going on at this age and so their emotions and personality changes can be more extreme. I've spent many an evening talking over parental problems with his (girl)friends and he's spent many a night till late hours on the phone with them. We jokingly called him the "Dr. Phil" of Jr.high school. Now he's a psych major. Anyway, the main thing they want from you is just for you to listen, that's why they talked to me. They just wanted to vent to a nonjudgemental parent/adult. They didn't need me to fix the problem, just be there. The number one problem of girls this age is depression, so emotional verbage is better than apathy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Wow, does this bring back memories! I was seventeen and getting ready to graduate high school and go off to college. I was such a "beeeyotch"! My Mom was so needy emotionally, not wanting me to leave and wanting us to get along. And, I was so impatient with her and her needs. Apparently, my Dad (who could be kinda smart sometimes Laughing) told her, "Bea, two women can't live in the same house. You need to let go of her." And, he told her that I was emotionally preparing to untie the knot and it was just the natural order of things. (She told me all this later.)

Well, after my couple of years away, I matured (a little) and Mom became my best friend and it stayed that way til the day she died.

There's hope, guys. Your daughters will probably end up your best friends.

Ari

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
You have my sympathy vava_gurl, I have 3 daughters, and have been through Hormone Hell with them all, It does get easier, in my case, when they all left home! Now I have a 15 year old grandaughter,and it makes me laugh when I hear her, and her mum arguing, as I did with my mother, and as her mum did with me. Actually, I am pleased my offspring have spirit and passion, but I only appreciate it now that I don't have to hear it every day, to say nothing of the relief of my long suffering husband!
lulabelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a good link for an article that discusses norms for teenagers (and when to be concerned!)

I find this article really helpful and refer to this all the time in my work (child protection).

Hopefully it will help to normalize your teens behaviours, explain why they do the things they do and offer comfort that things will turn around... eventually!

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4188,00.html
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
V,

I feel for you. Scientists now are saying that the young brain is not fully developed until age 25. Add hormones to that equation, and you get an insane idiot (at least that's the way I was alot of the time Embarassed ).

My advice comes from a mistake that my mom made years ago that sadly has really left a mark on me:
Remember to balance the disagreements and fights with positive feedback to her. Make sure she knows not only that you love her, but that you also respect her ideas and desires (even though you can't allow her to do everything she wants).

It is also good to take some interest in some of the things that are dear to her, even if they are boring to you or seem immature (of course, don't get overly involved). Someone gave me that advice when I got married, and became stepmom to an eleven-year-old boy( Embarassed ). I did my best to learn the finer points of professional wrestling Rolling Eyes , among other things. By the time he was seventeen, I was learning enough about the sound equipment he used in his punk bank to pick-out the perfect amplifier for his birthday present -- it really helped us to get along during the teen years. Now he is twenty-five and we have a wonderful relationship, and I am so grateful to have gotten that advice! And hey, his brain is finally fully formed!! We made it ! !

-- Bee
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
vava_gurl, I am too young to experience what you're going through, but my mother always reminds me of my pain in the a** days from 13 till I went off to university. And we're super close now Smile So there is definitely hope. And really, looking back now, I feel horrible for putting my parents through some stuff Bad Grin but at the time, I felt so mature and thought I knew everything Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
lulabelle wrote:

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4188,00.html

OMG.. DR. SPOCK! My mother raised ME based on her good old 1960s Dr. Spock book!

ETA: I could not resist popping over to the site and in the bio it said:

During Spock's long lifetime, his book would be translated into 39 languages and sell more than 50 million copies, making it second in sales only to the Bible.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 am      Reply with quote
I was raised in the sixties too. I remember hearing about Dr. Spock when I was little. One day he was on a talk show, and I was shocked to see that he didn't have pointy ears and eyebrows!! Laughing

-- Bee
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Just enjoy the good moments. Count to ten for the pyscho teen from hell moments. Sounds to me like a perfectly normal teen.

My split personality daughter is now travelling around Australia she has been gone since end of August & I miss her so much. I miss her moaning, her stuff scattered everywhere & her hugs & cracking up with laughter over silly things. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
As a teenager I have caused a little bit of problems to my parents, as I'm sure every teenager does. It's just a phase they go through with parents. Teens think they know everything and can manage on themselves with out their parents. I'm in my twenties now and not living with my parents and can now appreciate what they have done for me. This is just a phase you and your daughter are going through. Once she gets older she will know to appreciate you more and become more mature. Trust me
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
You are not alone! My daughter is 13 and the description of your daughter fits mine exactly.

I've discussed this with quite a few mothers of teenage daughters (all different ages) and they all describe the same demon that shows up from time to time. While that doesn't offer a solution, it at least gives me some peace of mind that I didn't create this behaviour in my daughter.

You know, she can be so much fun to be with, but it can slip away so quickly. I am looking forward to when my sweet daughter stays for good. Smile
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
My mom and I are, and always were, very close. However between the ages of um... 14 - 17 I had a tendency to go completely psycho. My advice? Just don't hold a grudge about anything you guys say to each other in your fits, and it'll be fine lol.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
To all you fabulous mothers and incredible daughters...I thank you all for sharing your insight & your experiences. I have gleaned much from your stories, and what I have also learned is that no matter how dire things may appear to be ... it seems a sense of humour has not left your sides Very Happy And thankfully it is also well and strong in me! Razz Change is inevitable so I will wait patiently (although not quietly) for the wind to change direction and perhaps if I'm real lucky I will come through this time with my sese of humour in tact and my sanity in check!! Bless you all.
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Vavagirl, I pretty much think all teenagers, esp girls, are split personalities...one the kind, loving, beautiful little girl you had for years, and the other a hormonally-deranged, catty, selfish b*tch going at life full-speed with her claws out, especially at you, her mom. My teenager years were quite at odds with my parents, I definitely caused them grief & tears! They never stopped loving me. In my early 20s we repaired the relationship and now I love them back, appreciate them, and like them as people. What I've learned is that both boys & girls need to separate from the first person they were closest to (usually their mother) in order to feel they are being individuals, it's part of the growing process. It requires considerable stoicism and letting-go on the parents' part, especially when teenagers are so sure they know all the answers to life! But she will come out of it, and appreciate you no end once she's really grown up. Some day you will look back on this time and [hopefully] laugh about it together!
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Now don't get me wrong, I do think that most girls in their teen years can be a pain in the a**. However, everyone is so different. I like the fact that the parents on here have realized that to form a closer bond, you just need to let them go. After being on their own for a while, they'll become wiser, returning back to mom and dad and nourishing that relationship. I completely agree with that.

However, if kept too close for too long, the inverse may happen. I only say this because I have such a relationship with my parents. OK, OK, so I don't have a 'fully matured' brain yet Wink, and I still get to pay the enormously high rates for car insurance, but:

-translating every single thing for my parents ever since we came to America (13 years ago)
-never staying out past 11pm during my high school years (unless I got special permission from the parents, such as seeing a movie and it ended at 12:30am)
-never coming home drunk/high/under the influence of anything
-always had a cell phone to answer calls from my parents in regards to where I was/why I was there/ who I was with/etc (never neglected answering it)
-graduating high school 1 year early
-taking college courses while still in high school
-receiving an associates degree in one year (thank goodness for financial aid)
-and now completing my bachelors degree in another few semesters (and the student loans have started)

Thus my college experience has been roughly only two years.

And still not being 'allowed' to stay out past 10 on weekdays and 11 pm on weekends (yes, still living at home with education being priority. Work isn't really something my parents have allowed me to exactly pursue). Now I am sorry, but I do find this to be quite ridiculous. Now, my parents have attributed this all to the fact that I am a girl. Some reason, right? I do have an older brother who is 7 years older than I am. When he was my age, he didn't have any rules or constraints. This is because he is a male. Many times has he gotten in trouble for things, and many times have my parents' hearts been broken. Never, once have I put such stress on my parents. I believe that their 'tight leash' on me is highly attributed to how my brother ended up growing with the 'no rules' type of household (no curfew, etc.). And if many of you are wondering how old I am, I am 19 (20 next year).

Moral of my life story, let your kids go. They'll make their mistakes and they'll correct them. You'll feel anxious and lonely to be away from them, but in the end they will come to you. You will be their best friends. The hard part is to know when to step in and offer help.

Oh, and if anyone has any sort of advice for me, shoot. I am more than ready to listen and find out a solution for my own dilemma.

And sorry for the extremely long rant, or taking away any attention from your post vava_gurl Embarassed . I thought that this would be an appropriate thread for me to lay it out on the table.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |